PDA

View Full Version : Power steering intermittent failure

ukeluthier
03-04-2013, 06:10 PM
Well, I've had my 2013 Abarth for 6 months and put almost 8k miles on it with absolutely no problems until now.

Over the last four days, my power steering boost has been failing intermittently every day. Everything is OK when I start the car each day, but after driving a while the power steering warning light comes on and the steering effort goes up considerably -- as one would expect. Sometimes the light goes out and the boost comes back on its own while driving, but then it may go out again. If I park the car and shut the engine off, it seems to reset itself. I've also -- a couple of times lately -- noticed a "twitch" in the steering wheel when the wheel is turned slightly while sitting idling at a light.

The steering effort without the boost isn't so heavy that the car is undriveable without the boost, especially at highway speeds, but having it fail suddenly during a maneuver could be disconcerting if not downright dangerous. The intermittent symptoms make it seem that a loose fuse, relay, or connector might be at fault, but I've identified the relevant fuse (which doesn't seem to be loose) and have wiggled all the relays in the relay box.

I did a search here to see if anyone else had the same problem, but found nothing. Anyone else had these symptoms diagnosed? If so, what did it turn out to be?

I guess I'll have to head 50 miles up the road to my studio, but -- given the intermittent nature of the problem -- it would be helpful to know if someone else has had the same problem and gotten it fixed successfully.

Thanks.