PDA

View Full Version : Realistic 40 mpg?

Fiatfan522
02-26-2013, 04:21 PM
Looking to purchase a new 500 sport or Turbo and had a mileage question for everyone out there. I'm wondering just how difficult it would be to realistically get 40 mpg average for the sport or Turbo? I'm good at beating the EPA numbers for every car I've owned and figured I could do it with a 500 as well. Any info on if I'd have to drive painfully slow or if the effort to achieve those numbers is exhausting would be helpful. Thanks everyone.

Scootin159
02-26-2013, 05:52 PM
It all comes down to how you drive. In my Abarth I can get anywhere from 30mpg (if I drive everywhere in sport mode) to 46mpg (if I drive VERY conservative and don't even look at the sport mode button). I'm currently averaging about 36mpg.

For a sport or Turbo I would expect even better mileage.

Felnus
02-26-2013, 06:26 PM
I average about 35-37 mpg with mine depending on how much time is spent on the highway. Considering the Highway rating is 38 mpg for '12 5 speed I'm pretty pleased. On a long interstate drive I had the cruise control set at 70 with the air conditioning on and averaged 45.2 mpg over four hours of drive time. Getting your day in and day out average around 40 will be much easier in a Pop, Sport or Lounge 5 speed than it would be in the Turbo or Abarth.

4carbcorvair
02-26-2013, 06:54 PM
Wifey started out getting about 35.5 when we first bought the Sport. Last fill up last week, it was just shy of 40. This is a 50/50 commute of 40/50 mph and the other half stop and go city, red light after red light. lol

luckymoi
02-27-2013, 01:06 AM
522:
Not sure if you know this but our car has two things, easy things to help you with mileage
One is the instant mileage readout. Its instant feedback on your driving. Its illuminating.

The other is eco drive which allows recording of driving elements that get spooled onto a USB stick. When moved to a PC those recordings are then critiqued, analyzed to give an eco score.
Its fun painless and passive.

panther76
02-27-2013, 08:08 AM
almost 44 mpg's lifetime average (actual miles/fuel usage). here is my fuelly page. please note that I am only measuring my commuting mileage and have left out my highway trips to and from Chicago, which are netting over 46 mpg's. so, my lifetime average is in reality higher than what is showing on the page.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/panther76/500-1

my commute is what I would call light suburban (fair amount of 45-60 mph driving). I drive with the flow of traffic and get off the gas when approaching stops. most shifts are around 2.5-3k rpm's. I still get on it a few times a day for fun, so I have fun with my 500 and still enjoy stellar mpg's. the last car I could say that about was my 1980 VW Rabbit.

I don't see there being a good opportunity to get 40 mpgs with any regularity in the turbo.

as luckymoi stated, the instantaneous mpg readout is a great tool. I spent the first couple months with that display showing all the time. it really helped to see how some of the smallest differences in habits were affecting mileage.

Robert Nixon
02-27-2013, 10:15 AM
Proabably like any other car that is rated 40mpg on the highway, you can do it if you drive carefully and are on the highway.

With 8,000 miles on my Abarth, I'm averaging about 35mpg, usually with regular gas, calculated manually. The read-out on my dash tends to be about 2mpg higher.

Plainsman
02-27-2013, 11:20 AM
I'm at the other end of the scale. I drive my abarth in sport mode 100% of the time and if the pavement is dry, ESC fully off. I average about 24 mpg. Which doesn't sound too great. However, it's much better than the Chrysler 300c 5.7 Hemi, which is the car I traded in on the Abarth. I only run premium fuel 92 octane or 93 if I can find it. My wife's 500c with automatic trans. averages about 35 mpg.

Fiatfan522
02-27-2013, 10:05 PM
I want to thank everyone for your feedback. From what I gather it appears that one can expect a wide range of mileage averages for either the Sport or the Turbo. I am certainly aware that driving style is the single biggest factor in mileage one can achieve. The whole reason I began this thread was to find out if 40 mpg with the sport and Turbo was even a real possibility. I mean someone could claim they could get 30 mpg from their V8 pickup, but it's never going to happen. So I assume that the consensus is that 40 mpg from a 500 whether it be a Sport or Turbo is possible if the car is driven conservatively? For those of you that get 40 mpg just how slow do you have to drive? Are you doing extreme hypermiling like turning off your car down hills or at stops? Or do you just take off slow, shift early, and drive smoothly? Again I really appreciate your input.

Felnus
02-27-2013, 10:38 PM
Terrain has a big impact on it too. I'm sure my average mpg would be higher but I live in the mountains of southwest Virginia. And I'm not shy about running up to redline when accelerating either. Driving conversatively and keeping your tires properly inflated will do, no need for extreme hypermiling tricks to get you to 40mpg in a 500 Sport. Getting 40mpg in a Turbo or Abarth is going to take a lot more effort and kind of defeats the purpose of having either of those models, in my opinion.

djhace
02-27-2013, 10:59 PM
the smoother you drive and the less your use your breaks and roll by instead of a fully stops. you should archive a much higher MPG. when to think about it. basically, drive it like its a prius. lol.

the sport version you can run on 87, if you want to save 20-30 cents per gallon. If you get the turbo, you will need 91. (well, not you, but the car).

Fiat500USA
02-27-2013, 11:26 PM
Steady state rural highway speeds of 55 mph or lower will net you your 40 mpg or better pretty easily (500 Sport). Use the ecoDrive and the cruise control to help. City driving will cut into that along with lots of hills and stop signs, etc. I had a 500 Prima Edizione and would typically average around 39-40 mpg during my 12 mile rural commute with lots of hills and stop signs.

My Abarth averages about 5- 6 mpg less.

HiFi Guy
02-27-2013, 11:54 PM
Terrain and driving habits are going to decide your fuel economy. I drive 58 miles each way to work. Two thirds of my trip is hilly terrain at highway speeds, the other 1/3 is flat. I drive 98% highway.

Tonight when I left work, I filled up. On the way home I was running 75 on cruise (with a blast to 83) during the hilly section and showed 35.5 mpg. I slowed to 65, then 55 then 40 (last 1.5 miles to the house.) Pulling into the driveway, the car is showing 40.2 mpg. I can't complain at all.

panther76
02-28-2013, 12:51 AM
So I assume that the consensus is that 40 mpg from a 500 whether it be a Sport or Turbo is possible if the car is driven conservatively? For those of you that get 40 mpg just how slow do you have to drive? Are you doing extreme hypermiling like turning off your car down hills or at stops? Or do you just take off slow, shift early, and drive smoothly? Again I really appreciate your input.

looking at the results of the 500T drivers and abarth drivers, id say its very unlikely you will achieve 40 mpg's regularly without going through all sorts of machinations. its also going to be more work in the regular 500 in auto form.

the regular 500 in manual form will get 40 mpg's in many cases by just driving pretty normally if you are in the 40-65 mph range much of the time.

I don't turn my car off ever (besides, coasting downhill in gear will use no fuel anyway). I shift at what I consider reasonable points...2500-3000 rpm's...but I will push it higher whenever I need more acceleration.

ive been able to have averages of 40+ mpg's in my last 4 cars: a 2012 accent, 2007 yaris, and 2009 corolla, and the 500 (all in manual form). however, with the 500 I have found it infinitely easier to just drive reasonably (and not do any hypermiling) to achieve it.

Fiatfan522
02-28-2013, 10:02 AM
Well again I thank everyone for their input. I just wanted to have some actual owners give their feedback. I know my current car, a V6 6speed Accord coupe, is similarly effected by driving style and terrain. I can get 33mpg if I drive carefully, but if I was on it all the time it would be in the 20's. I have owned turbo Saabs that have done better, but if you used the turbo a lot the mileage really suffers. I assume the same is true for the 500T. So again thanks to everyone and hopefully more feedback will continue to help clarify things.

Andree
03-01-2013, 05:51 AM
Well again I thank everyone for their input. I just wanted to have some actual owners give their feedback. I know my current car, a V6 6speed Accord coupe, is similarly effected by driving style and terrain. I can get 33mpg if I drive carefully, but if I was on it all the time it would be in the 20's. I have owned turbo Saabs that have done better, but if you used the turbo a lot the mileage really suffers. I assume the same is true for the 500T. So again thanks to everyone and hopefully more feedback will continue to help clarify things.

Look up your Accord on Fuel Economy:
http://fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbsSelect

Add in the other FIAT vehicles you're considering.

Look at the EPA city/highway of your current vehicle, and think about what you actually get in your own driving conditions.

Let's say you get the combined average of city/highway estimate for the Accord. Then you'll probably get the combined average of city/highway for the other cars too.

I don't know what year your Accord is, but I guessed 2008. And compared it to a 2013 Turbo manual (non-abarth):
http://fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=24828&id=33027

Notice the combined for the Accord is 20. And the highway is 25. Then note the 500 turbo is 31 combined, 34 highway. COULD you squeeze out extra mileage for the 40 mpg? Possibly. Is it likely on a regular basis? Probably not.

Simply because you'll drive on average somewhere in between being super careful and "on it all the time".

Here I added the non-turbo stick:
http://fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=24828&id=33027&id=33030

And that's where your 40 mpg becomes realistic.

Fiatfan522
03-02-2013, 03:45 PM
Thank you so much for the link to the fuel economy website. Never knew it existed. I also forgot that EPA numbers have been adjusted. My 2004 Accord claimed 30 mpg highway on the window sticker and it's since been downgraded to 25. I have to take that into account when looking at any new car. I'm fairly confident that with the way I drive and in the rural area I live with few stops on the way to work that I could get high 30's to 40 mpg with the turbo engine. I know some may think it defeats the purpose of having the Turbo or Abarth when talking about high mpgs, but for me I drive conservatively 95% of the time, but still like to have a car that can really move when I ask for it. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Andree
03-02-2013, 04:37 PM
Fiatfan522, glad to help. The Fuel Economy site is useful, especially when shopping for another car. It was prominent during the CARS (cash for clunkers) program, where people had to buy a car that was much better on gas than their old car, and had to use the EPA estimates as shown on the Fuel Economy site. You'll still be getting better mpg in the 500T or the Abarth than the Accord. And that really does help in the long run!

panther76
03-02-2013, 05:48 PM
Thank you so much for the link to the fuel economy website. Never knew it existed. I also forgot that EPA numbers have been adjusted. My 2004 Accord claimed 30 mpg highway on the window sticker and it's since been downgraded to 25. .

yeah, under the old system, the 2013 500 (manual, non turbo) would be rated somewhere around 34/45.

Pionieri Tridentina
03-07-2013, 01:17 AM
I have a 500 Pop, standard shift. Commuting from Norman Ok to Duncan Ok, average speed 60-65 mph the computer gives a 40 to 42.7 . Wind in Ok is usually from the S , so with a strong tailwind I did a 51 mpg. Strong headwind lowers it to 38 mpg. Commuting on I44 with 75 mph , average gas was 38.7.
I never squeeze the 1-2-3rd gear and check the tire pressure at least once a month. I use always 87 oct gas, usually with the 10% ethanol.

djhace
03-07-2013, 01:45 AM
on my way home from work, a 20-22 miles ride, mainly highway with some city traffic, i got a avg. 28 to 30 mpg. in my abarth. i also might have been going around 70s. mph. :-)

Robert Nixon
03-07-2013, 10:26 AM
not that it means much, but in my Abarth's current tank of gas, I am over 38mpg according to the display. Have been driving a little slower than usual on the highway, but on the other hand haven't been coasting down hill for 20 miles from the top of Pikes Peak either! For just normal driving in a mix of highway and light suburban traffic, seem to be averaging 35mpg or so, currently nearing 9,000 miles.

hownowcb
03-09-2013, 01:26 AM
My Abarth has about 3500 miles on it in three+ months now. Initially, I was getting above 34.5 mpg, but I was also babying it during what was admittedly a long break-in period. It's been winter here, so with snow tires and incredibly bad drivers all around...

I seem to recall I got as high as around 37.5 mpg late this fall, but since my Abarth has always been on snow tires, it's not as if I've been anywhere near "pushing it's limits". In fact, it's only since the air has begun "smelling differently" that I've begun pushing it more.

I've found that driving over 70 mph is incredibly bad for fuel economy, though "bad" for a Fiat 500 may be "off the charts" for many cars, if you know what I mean. I really don't mind humping along at 65 in a 65 mph zone, letting all the douchebags pass me, so I can meet them at the next red light, 40 miles down the highway. In addition, I make all kinds of useless trips (sometimes daily) to the grocery store for something as inane as a pint of whipping cream for my coffee (because that's what I like), so I know I'm not being mainly "conservative in my driving habits".

Still, I've NEVER gotten less than 30 mpg, and I own an Abarth; not a mere Pop. There's been a hint of spring in the air this week, in spite of the nine g*dd*mned inches of snow we got, so the little beast has been given more of a free reign on the throttle lately, as well. I can't imagine complaining about the economy of my Fiat, even if I never see 40 mpg. I have seen over 100 mpg on a long, downhill once or twice, which is at least amusing!

genequit
03-23-2013, 10:48 AM
Took an all highway trip last weekend and I got about 32 mpg. Average speed was between 80-85 mph ( OK and a few 105 mph bursts out of boredom ). Maybe would have been better if I used cruise control?

4carbcorvair
04-10-2013, 07:58 PM
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j233/4carbcorvair/45F43A0E-C6F2-4137-8F5D-C1FA5F1E8AB9-1482-000001A0CF41AAE7_zps6e105bfa.jpg

whirlygirl
04-10-2013, 08:09 PM
My average has been somewhere between 25 and 35, with mixed driving mostly around town in varying automatic/manual mode/sport modes. The times I have ventured onto a highway where I could keep an even speed for a substantial length of time, I got better mileage obviously. The mileage is not as good as my old manual shift Yaris (which fared phenomenally in terms of mpg), but then again I wasn't expecting it to be mainly because I mostly drive the 500 in automatic mode. Not bad though. I have no complaints at all.

Venom51
04-10-2013, 10:41 PM
I'm just over 2000 miles with my sport. So far my average is 38.6 for about 50/50 city/highway. I'm very pleased. :)

Red Baron
04-12-2013, 08:37 PM
I'm getting 29.9 mpg using my sport mode 1/3 of the time driving. Car is 500T stock except for the BMC high flow filter which improved my mpg because it was getting about 26.8 on the average pior to that add on . My driving habits are conservative for commuting back and forth to work with sport mode off most of the time. My local driving in the city consists of sport mode on most of time to get that extra peep for handling the hills of SF.

Tweak
04-12-2013, 08:56 PM
I'm getting 29.9 mpg using my sport mode 1/3 of the time driving. Car is 500T stock except for the BMC high flow filter which improved my mpg because it was getting about 26.8 on the average pior to that add on . My driving habits are conservative for commuting back and forth to work with sport mode off most of the time. My local driving in the city consists of sport mode on most of time to get that extra peep for handling the hills of SF.

Welcome to the forum.

madbyrd
04-12-2013, 09:29 PM
At 25000 miles on my 2012 500 Pop automatic (April 2012) my overall MPG is 37.8. Of course as you can tell by the mileage most of these miles are on two lane hwys and I time my slowdowns to keep from stopping at lights on my daily 40 mile commute. Weekends are my "Sport" mode, manual shift funtimes. However, I did smoke a pimped out Chrysler 300 that was just inching into the intersection as we were waiting side-by-side; light changed I hit it and he was just getting to the next corner when I had already turned that corner and saw him my rearview:) It felt GOOD!

dart1.4t
04-16-2013, 06:25 PM
just reset my fuel economy meter on the dart and got 40mpg on my commute. i have been geting 32 average, 33-35 on the commute and 29-31 locally depending on the people in front of me but i decided to try driving a little faster. the torque peak is 2550 rpm which indicates a peak in efficiency that puts me at about 75 in 6th gear. set the cruise for 75 on my 40mile trip with numerous hills and was amazed at the improvement. now i just need to get the state to change the speed limit so i can save more money. seems the more i look at that damn instant mileage the more my average drops because it is so influenced be decell it encourages me to slow down which isn't the answer unless i drop my speed all the way down to about 45 or 50 where i pick up some due to less drag.

i don't know if this would help other people but the higher speed helps with the hills because i can stay at peak torque without down shifting. with the right roads and some understanding of physics 40mpg is definitely realistic...

Evelyn Salt
04-17-2013, 08:53 PM
I'm at the other end of the scale. I drive my abarth in sport mode 100% of the time and if the pavement is dry, ESC fully off. I average about 24 mpg. Which doesn't sound too great. However, it's much better than the Chrysler 300c 5.7 Hemi, which is the car I traded in on the Abarth. I only run premium fuel 92 octane or 93 if I can find it. My wife's 500c with automatic trans. averages about 35 mpg.

I've had mine for two years and have never gotten over 30 mpg.
I don't believe any one gets 40 or anything close.
2012 Rosso Sport .

MrFiat
04-19-2013, 06:47 PM
I've had mine for two years and have never gotten over 30 mpg.
I don't believe any one gets 40 or anything close.
2012 Rosso Sport .

Around town, yes. I agree. However highway mileage is a different story altogether. Just returned from a trip from Syracuse NY to Wilmington Delaware and back (out one day, back the next). Cruise on 70 as much as possible, air on. I-476 Pa. turnpike ext, busy with construction so stop and go at times. Roughly 700+ miles round trip plus some city driving in Wilmington. Using 93 premium the engine computer says the 2012 sport (manual) got 43.5 mpg for the trip. (11,200 odo)

Felnus
04-19-2013, 09:02 PM
I'm averaging 37 to 38 mpg over 25,000 miles. Heck, during the recent Fiat on the Dragon meet, I averaged 38.3 mpg over 800 miles of driving as hard as I've ever driven the 500 trying to keep up with Abarths. On flat ground, 40 mpg+ would be easy for me.

500ways
04-19-2013, 09:27 PM
My average with 24,000 miles and change on the clock is 38 to 39 mpg. On flat roads, I am achieving 41 to 42 mpg and could easily squeak out more.

As the engine ages, it runs and sounds better and the mpg's continue to climb. The use of ecoDrive has helped tame my driving to achieve these results.

Tweak
04-19-2013, 10:28 PM
I'm averaging 37 to 38 mpg over 25,000 miles. Heck, during the recent Fiat on the Dragon meet, I averaged 38.3 mpg over 800 miles of driving as hard as I've ever driven the 500 trying to keep up with Abarths. On flat ground, 40 mpg+ would be easy for me.

I'm one of those Abarths and I managed 30.3MPG from the time we left the gas station till I parked back at the hotel, also driving it harder than I had ever done so in the past. :cool:

dart1.4t
04-21-2013, 05:28 AM
gotta remember the car is only rated 40ish mpg for highway driving. that's long distances so the engine warmup period doesn't have a big effect and minimal starts and stops. but i find the 24 mpg numbers surprising. unless you sit idleing a lot like in a high traffic area and/or go to excessive speeds over short distances. if you drive the car from a full tank to empty on one trip on higheways it would be surprising not to see in excess of 40.

panther76
04-21-2013, 09:26 AM
last several tanks at 44+ mpgs with even less effort since the summer gas is in use now.

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/panther76/500-1?fu=4197333

date mi gal. mpg $$ city%
4/20/13 411.0 9.29 44.2 3.890 15%
3/27/13 408.0 9.14 44.6 3.990 10%
3/15/13 407.0 8.79 46.3 3.990 5%
2/25/13 406.0 8.94 45.4 4.090 10%
2/10/13 403.0 8.91 45.2 4.010 10%
2/4/13 402.0 9.62 41.8 3.790 20%
1/6/13 379.0 9.20 41.2 3.790 15%

MrFiat
04-21-2013, 11:46 AM
Another thing to remember is that some folks with manual transmissions tend to stay in a lower gear around town. Often it's unavoidable. None the less, putting a lot of miles on in third or fourth gear will drop the mpg numbers significantly. So your mileage has a lot to do with where you drive as well as how you drive.

ciddyguy
04-28-2013, 11:26 PM
Another thing to remember is that some folks with manual transmissions tend to stay in a lower gear around town. Often it's unavoidable. None the less, putting a lot of miles on in third or fourth gear will drop the mpg numbers significantly. So your mileage has a lot to do with where you drive as well as how you drive.

Bingo, that's me, in a 2003 Mazda Protege5, and I also did it with my rather piggy '92 Ford Ranger truck with the 4.0L V6, and 5Spd manual. The Mazda has the 2.0L4, with the 4Spd sport stick automatic (I know, it's not quite the same as a true manual, but close enough).

I almost never drove in anything over 3rd gear in either vehicle in town, nor either of my older Hondas (83 Civic, 88 Accord, both with 5spd manuals), and sometimes in the Mazda, I'd not get over 2nd gear before the next light in a short block as I let the motor rev to around 4Krpm before slowing down to the next light. It all depends on my mood, and how frisky I decide to drive it that day.

BTW, the Mazda has a 2.0L 4 with 130HP in N/A form too, hauling around a 2716# vehicle, and with 87 Octane, E10 gas, I don't think I get over 24mpg, combined.

Venom51
05-01-2013, 08:37 AM
Well, I just hit 5000 miles and my average is at 40.2.

nomad13
05-01-2013, 11:15 AM
Atlanta to Columbia, SC. tail end of break in, 39 mpg 68 mph. Columbia to Atlanta 43 mpg at 65 mph. Atlanta to Meridian, Ms 41 mpg at 65 mph but with a lot of accelerations and deaccelerations. Meridian to Atlanta 42.1 at 68 mph.
Distances were 240 and 300 miles respectively.

RedAbarth
05-02-2013, 08:42 PM
Here we go.

Between my home in West Seattle to a dental implant specialist in Tacoma (Fircrest) WA, my 2013 Abarth got 39.8 MPG. On Interstate 5, between Seattle and Tacoma, the MPG hit 42, at a constant 63 miles per hour on the freeway...

That, my Fiat friends, is spectacular. I have had my Abarth since February 28th, 2013. It is just over two months old. A hair less than 1000 miles.

I have had absolutely no issues with this car, so far. No rattles, no check engine light, clock is accurate. Nothing.

I am thinking of packing dry ice into the turbo intercoolers. Your thoughts???? ROFL.

jcunny33
05-08-2013, 09:15 PM
Since there aren't so many 500T's in the forum yet, I'll give an update on mine. I believe all these posts about MPG way over the EPA. Driving for aggressively for fun is one thing, but when you want to get the MPG the 500's are wonderful.

I averaged 37 MPG combined in my 500 Sport over the whole 43,500 miles using 87 octane sport button on all the time. calculation/manually.

I had hoped that I could pull an average of 33-34 mpg in the 500T. So far for the first 5,000 miles I'm at 34.4 combined. I admit most of my driving is very conservative especially in town. I would guess my driving is close to 70/30 hwy/city. The last 7 tanks have returned an average of 36 with several miles on back country roads. On the Tail of the Dragon/Devil's Triangle all out runs I still got 33.

I did an experiment the other day on interstate for 25 miles each direction. Here are the results:

Cruise at 63 returned 45.5 MPG.
Cruise at 70 returned 40.5 MPG.
Cruise at 75 returns 37-38 MPG.

So, for those worrying about trading from Sport (31/40) to Turbo (28/34) don't give it another thought.

erland
05-10-2013, 07:48 PM
I saw 40mpg in a base rental car, then bought the Abarth and can't keep my foot out of it. Still...averaging over 32 in combined city/hwy.

Leasdaddy
05-11-2013, 09:25 PM
I have had my 500 Sport since March of 2012. It is an early build example from June of 2011, just in case anyone is keeping track. For six months I tracked every gallon pumped and mile driven on paper, doing the math manually since the trip computer, I found, was always 1 to 1.5 miles-per-gallon optimistic. Driving 70 miles round-trip to and from work with very short local trips (maybe 70% highway, 30% city) I got below 37 mpg once (36.7). Once! Every other tank ranged from 37 to 42.
Sometimes I would short shift like ecoDrive told me to; sometimes I hit 5,500 rpm on the on ramps, having to brake to blend with traffic. I love doing that. :devilish: After all those months I became weary of tracking it EVERY time and just enjoyed the drive. I feel MUCH better now, and if I want to know my fuel economy, I just look at the trip computer, subtract one mile-per-gallon, smile and give Luigi (he is yellow, after all) a pat and enjoy the drive home.

erland
05-12-2013, 01:56 AM
One of the cool things about the Abarth is this. There are faster cars, and there are cars that use less fuel, but very few cars can beat the Abarth in both areas, actually I cant think of any.

dania02525
05-13-2013, 08:39 AM
On my first roadtrip with my 2013 500 sport, I found that economy drops considerably above 80mph. If I kept it to 70 I could get around 39mpg, but up around 85, it was averaging around 35. I'm still at around 1500 miles though, so perhaps still in the break-in period. Anyone know if I'm likely to see improvement after full break in?

madbyrd
05-15-2013, 10:34 PM
I had made an interesting correlation in my own driving of my 2012 500 Pop automatic: the MPH + MPG = 100 (range of about 95-105). This thread has given proof of that pattern, as an example if I drive 65mph then I usually experience 35-40 mpg; at 55mph I expeience 45-50 mpg, etc. At 70 mph I get about 30-35 mpg. After 27000 miles it still holds true and look at the comments throughout this thread you can see much the same pattern, except for the Abarth, maybe.

Anyway, weird analysis :)

jcunny33
05-16-2013, 05:04 PM
One of the cool things about the Abarth is this. There are faster cars, and there are cars that use less fuel, but very few cars can beat the Abarth in both areas, actually I cant think of any.
I think you've hit the nail on the head here...you simply can't find this amount of fun factor, the power, the looks, the MPG, and the personality in another vehicle.

4carbcorvair
08-26-2013, 05:37 PM
With 10,000 miles on the Sport, I average 40.2/40.5. Recently on the highway, with posted limit of 75, we got just over 38.

scrumby14
01-19-2014, 01:36 PM
I had 72,000 miles before sellin my prima (the first 500, limited edition model, sold to US customer) to my cousin. It was my daily communter. I averaged 41mpg overall (95% highway)... I kept a log, this is hand calculated value and not the computer guage on the dash. I noticed the guage value is usually 1 to1.5% over estimated.

Had several tanks getting 46+mpg Going to and from Yosemite and San Francisco. Can get 45mpg easily if coasting 55mph or so.
40mpg if coasting 70mph

best tank 450mles! With a 9.7xx gallon fill up.

Pionieri Tridentina
07-08-2014, 02:50 PM
i have 2012 POP with standars shift, and I m very familiar driving standard ( i m a Eurodude ). driving on the highways betweeen OK and NM, if I stay at 60-65, the MPG is usually around 42-43, with strong tailwinds goes to 44-46. Driving the speed limits of 75 or 80, MPG is around 35-37, sometimes less than that.

Doohickie
07-08-2014, 03:10 PM
Terrain has a big impact on it too.

And it doesn't have to be severe climbs either. Just a slight rise will lower the fuel economy some. I can also see the difference whether I'm heading into the wind or it's at my back. But on the highway I think you can get 40.

rustbucket
07-09-2014, 12:08 AM
I have a '13 Sport and average 36- 39 mpg (38.8 mpg last tankful, hand calculated), in a mix of rural two lane highways, in town and some interstate driving. My best results have been with 91 octane ethanol free gas- it's worth 2 to 2.5 mpg over E10 89 and 93 octane gas. 40 mpg+ is easy on Interstate trips at the posted speed limit (65 here) or a little above. As others have noted, terrain and headwinds can make a big difference. I'd also note that you could be disappointed in mpg at first- the 500 needs some miles on it (break-in) before you'll achieve your best mileage ... I had a couple of sub 30 tankfuls- a new tight motor and sub zero temps don't help mpg. Now if I drove it like I stole it, I'm still well into the 30 mpg range. I have little doubt I could average 40 mpg with a little effort but this car is so fun to drive it's worth the two or three bucks a week extra it costs.

TheDan
07-09-2014, 05:29 AM
lol, yeah... I average 26mpg in the Abarth.

kaytbugsdad
07-11-2014, 03:36 PM
I loved my 2012 Pop, and loved my consistent 40-42 mpg on long freeway trips ( always 75-80 mph and AC on)..... Got my Turbo in May and have taken it on one long trip so far..... averaged 38 mpg there and back (about 250 miles round trip)....

AudiGuy
07-11-2014, 04:00 PM
No matter what mode im in, or how easy I drive, I dont get any better than 18mpg on the display. No idea why

boostaddict
07-11-2014, 05:52 PM
I'm getting 22-23mpg if i'm on it all the time or 30 driving the speed limit

running 93 since the day i got it

SeaDawg
07-11-2014, 07:38 PM
I'm getting 22-23mpg if i'm on it all the time or 30 driving the speed limit

running 93 since the day i got it

30 is about the BEST you'll see driving it sanely in town.

moosestang
07-13-2014, 01:48 PM
On my first trip to and from work today, i averaged 28.3mph in my 2014 turbo. It's almost all highway, 36 miles round trip and I did 73mph on the way to work and 76mph on the way home. i only have 320 miles on the car though. On the way to work I was getting 31.5, but there isn't a lot of flat highway on my drive.

phade
07-14-2014, 07:54 AM
I can get 41mpg in my Abarth if I accelerate gently and don't go any faster than 45. Anything over that and it plummets quickly. At 75mph, I can average 30-32mpg through hilly Alabama interstate. At 70, it jumps to 35mpg average, which is not bad at all but this car just wants to be driven faster lol. Around town, if I can avoid accelerating like a hooligan (which is hard lol) I can get 28-32mpg, but my drive to and from work is only about 5 miles so my mpg in the city usually sits around 24-26.

TheDan
07-17-2014, 02:58 AM
I had made an interesting correlation in my own driving of my 2012 500 Pop automatic: the MPH + MPG = 100 (range of about 95-105).Last weekend I took a short trip and made it a point to set the cruise at 63mph. I was getting 38.5 mpg until some hilly sections dropped me down to 37mpg. You're theory holds up for me.

ghostdog
07-27-2014, 10:56 PM
I have a manual 2012 pop. I average 40 mpg, and on a long road trip average is 45 mpg. I tend to stay around 70 mph on the highway. I don't use cruise control. I buy Chevron premium which is 91 octane in CA.

snakebite4767
07-30-2014, 07:28 PM
I have no problem averaging above 40 mpg in my 2013 stick shift POP. Each trip is virtually the same, ... 15 mi stop and go in the city 25-30 mph, 25 mi small curving up and down road in the foothills 40-50 mph, 50 mi on 2 lane flat country roads 60 mph. I've tried running regular, mid range and premium gas of different brands, and have not noticed any difference. Have 11,000 mi on the car.

moosestang
08-01-2014, 06:15 PM
With a mainly flat stretch of road and keeping it at 66mph cruise, I can average just over 40mpg in a 2014 turbo. If these cars weren't hitting 3k at 70mph, then highway mileage would be much better.

moosestang
08-01-2014, 06:21 PM
I have a manual 2012 pop. I average 40 mpg, and on a long road trip average is 45 mpg. I tend to stay around 70 mph on the highway. I don't use cruise control. I buy Chevron premium which is 91 octane in CA.

Uggghhh! You are one of those people with cruise control that doesn't use it. Why, why won't you use the cruise. I shake my fist at you everytime I pass you again on a hill.

Klasse Act
08-16-2014, 10:50 AM
I went back home to the D 2 weeks ago and got 39.3 mpg going there and then 37.0 mpg coming back. The trip back had me sitting in a traffic jam once I got into Indiana, so that surely affected the mileage somewhat. The trip there had me going through a couple construction zones and I didn't use the a/c for the entire trip coming to the D, not that a/c useage really affects the mileage too much while at speed. If you'd like, go to www.fuelly.com and look for Backfire, that's the name I gave the car (they require you to name your car) Once you find my car you can see all the fill ups since day one and read the notes, I usually comment on weather and fuel brand, etc there. Let me know what you think.