PDA

View Full Version : Mileage observation: 46.6mpg

eedwards
02-24-2013, 11:11 PM
I have made several long drives recently with my 5-speed Pop. I have been very happy with my mileage on my regular commute, and have suspected that my mileage has been less than it could be due to two factors: the way I drive and the terrain I drive. I'm the guy who makes "jack-rabbit" starts and drives with gusto most everywhere (but always safely). Combine that with a commute over hilly terrain, and I get an average of about 35.5 mpg. I am completely happy with that number, given how I drive.

Knowing I was going to make long drives from Alabaster (south of Birmingham, AL) to Columbus, GA in the near future, I decided to see how good the Fiat's mileage could be on these trips. The first trip was on US280, through Auburn, which is very hilly all the way, though less so the further south you go. The second was mostly interstate through Montgomery, detouring on US80 at Tuskegee. Both days were perfect weather with no rain and cool temps. I eschewed jack-rabbiting and carefully stayed at or slightly below posted limits. I got passed A LOT.

Both trips are about 180 miles and I used the on-board computer for the mpg figures. I know some say that the computer is optimistic, but it is at least an objective measure across both trips.

The first drive, it averaged 41.6 mpg, with which I was very happy. There was a point, just before Auburn where the mileage actually touched 45mpg, but then it dropped on the last leg to Columbus.

Today, however, the mileage number kept climbing the whole trip. I flirted in the 44.x range most of the way. Just as I reached Montgomery, I hit 45mpg. The mileage kept climbing, so that as I reached Columbus, I was at 46.6, which remained until I parked at the hotel.

So careful driving and a slowly flattening terrain yields excellent results. I imagine in Florida, you could get an honest 50mgpg.

Okay, not rocket science here, but just wanted to log this, in case anyone is curious.

Alvon Elrod
02-24-2013, 11:57 PM
Gradient, wind, and speed make a big impact on fuel economy with this car, as with most vehicles, but it seems to affect our 500 more than our other cars. Last week, there was a very strong tailwind blowing me home (40 mile commute), and I was amazed to see the average at 58 mpg by the time I got close to home, while driving at 65. I typically will get about 42 mpg on this return trip, which drops about 1000' in 40 miles. Driving to work, I'll typically get 38 - 40 at the same speed, since it is an overall elevation gain of about 1000'.

Alvon

fltrplntman
02-25-2013, 04:39 PM
I have made several long drives recently with my 5-speed Pop. I have been very happy with my mileage on my regular commute, and have suspected that my mileage has been less than it could be due to two factors: the way I drive and the terrain I drive. I'm the guy who makes "jack-rabbit" starts and drives with gusto most everywhere (but always safely). Combine that with a commute over hilly terrain, and I get an average of about 35.5 mpg. I am completely happy with that number, given how I drive.

Knowing I was going to make long drives from Alabaster (south of Birmingham, AL) to Columbus, GA in the near future, I decided to see how good the Fiat's mileage could be on these trips. The first trip was on US280, through Auburn, which is very hilly all the way, though less so the further south you go. The second was mostly interstate through Montgomery, detouring on US80 at Tuskegee. Both days were perfect weather with no rain and cool temps. I eschewed jack-rabbiting and carefully stayed at or slightly below posted limits. I got passed A LOT.

Both trips are about 180 miles and I used the on-board computer for the mpg figures. I know some say that the computer is optimistic, but it is at least an objective measure across both trips.

The first drive, it averaged 41.6 mpg, with which I was very happy. There was a point, just before Auburn where the mileage actually touched 45mpg, but then it dropped on the last leg to Columbus.

Today, however, the mileage number kept climbing the whole trip. I flirted in the 44.x range most of the way. Just as I reached Montgomery, I hit 45mpg. The mileage kept climbing, so that as I reached Columbus, I was at 46.6, which remained until I parked at the hotel.

So careful driving and a slowly flattening terrain yields excellent results. I imagine in Florida, you could get an honest 50mgpg.

Okay, not rocket science here, but just wanted to log this, in case anyone is curious.

It gets fun trying to top your last mileage record. My highest.. (slightly flat 55mph 3/4 of the way for 38 miles and 45 the other 1/4.. with pure ethanol free gasoline 90 oct.) 54.8 mpg Average for 38 miles.
You will be surprised at what you can pull down mileagewise, with pure gasoline.

Find your nearest station. http://pure-gas.org/

Since1958
07-30-2013, 05:02 PM
On my first FIAT, a bought-new '58 600 (633cc/28.5hp), I got an overall of 44 mpg for 63K miles mostly in New England's rolling-to-mountainous terrain. While driving my '12 Pop, I recalled how I'd rush hills in order to gain a little momentum for the upcoming grade and then rip the downgrades. I decided to try imitating the low power of the 600 by setting my foot on the loud pedal for about a 55mph cruise and letting speed bleed off on Central Florida's gentle upgrades and climb on the "downs." This is what the little 600 would produce with the pedal-to-the-metal in the Northeast. Economy in the Pop is 10-15% better using this technique than using the cruise to hold a steady 55. Interesting.