PDA

View Full Version : Brakes squealing... Anyone else hearing this?

tcarretti
02-24-2013, 12:39 AM
I've got a little over 10,000 miles on my Abarth now, and I've started hearing brake whistling or squealing on partial brake pedal depression. My brakes can't be going bad already, can they. Stopping force seems to be the same as always, and when I clamp down harder, the squeal goes away. But under partial braking it's always there now. Anyone else hearing/experiencing this? If so, is there a way to get rid of it, short of replacing pads?

Thanks,

Tony

jguerdat
02-24-2013, 10:34 AM
It's likely dirt in the pads or possibly something (a small stone) stuck on the outside. Nothing wrong with the pads unless you drive with the brakes on all the time. ;) There's sprays you can get to try to remove the dirt but I can't vouch for how effective they are - might work in some situations and not in others. You could try a few hard stops from highway speeds to see if that removes the dirt or at least rearranges it. I get the occasional light squeal from mine but it doesn't bother me. Any brakes can do this so don't be overly concerned.

Robert Nixon
02-24-2013, 09:21 PM
Probably be a good idea to pull the wheel and at least look at the pad to see if it is something simple, with noise there is likely something rubbing where it shouldn't. With the wheel off, you could spray everything down with some brake cleaner, put the wheel back on, and see if the noise is still there. A couple bucks worth of brake cleaner is a cheap first step to check.

Dr. FIAT
02-24-2013, 11:11 PM
It is likely that during the build, they failed to put grease on the back of the brake pads. When the piston compresses the pads, the high pitched squeal is usually due to friction between the piston and the pads during compression. Just go to Autozone, buy two packs of these for 2 bucks, and grease up the fore and aft pads on each caliper. Good luck!

m3chan1c
02-25-2013, 07:19 AM
There was a similar problem in Alfa Romeo MiTo's brembo 4pot brakes.

If you have them changed factory manual said you have to be careful during brake pads assembling since
they have letters on them like A B C D you cant install them randomly.

However new brake pad kit comes with 4 metal frames ( smalland thin ) and silencer pads to be place between caliper and brake pad.

tcarretti
02-26-2013, 03:26 PM
Thank you for all the suggestions! I tried the easiest one first (high speed stop...) which was just the ticket! It only took one attempt. I was exiting the highway and made sure that there was no one behind me on the ramp. Was going about 75mph and clamped down very aggressively. By the way, these brakes are pretty awesome! After that, the squealing was gone and my confidence in the brakes increased immeasurably as well! Thanks again guys, that's why I love this place...

Tony

FTY
02-28-2013, 11:39 AM
Thank you for all the suggestions! I tried the easiest one first (high speed stop...) which was just the ticket! It only took one attempt. I was exiting the highway and made sure that there was no one behind me on the ramp. Was going about 75mph and clamped down very aggressively. By the way, these brakes are pretty awesome! After that, the squealing was gone and my confidence in the brakes increased immeasurably as well! Thanks again guys, that's why I love this place...

Tony

Similiar has been happening to me, performed the same procedure and all was well. It gets worse with salt/sand on the roads, FIAT had similiar issues like this with past models. Glad it fixed it, and cheaply.

Deefourtay
02-28-2013, 09:18 PM
Also make sure your Brake Dust Shield isn't rubbing the rotor, this happened to me..

Solution: I took a Long Metal Butter Knife wrapped around a Rag and wedged it in between the Dust Shield & Rotor.. First checking for the contact area, and then prying it until it didn't rub anymore.

*Don't use your mom's 24k Gold Knife BTW, any old knife should work ;]*

jguerdat
03-01-2013, 09:07 AM
Yup, don't just hang the wheels any which way when rotating/changing them. I bent the dust shield one time and won't do that again...