PDA

View Full Version : Interior changes for owners comfort or function

Rapps
02-17-2013, 08:18 PM
I am starting this thread as a place to show creative ways found to solve interior needs.
This is my quick cheap change for the tiny deck lid pull strap. It's essentially the same as the one made from a red dog leash posted on the forum already, except I can't find my grommet kit. Instead I heated a metal skewer/nail and used it to seal up the nylon hole where the deck strap's attaching bolt passes through. Being able to put my hand into/through the strap is essential. Old hands mean arthritis; that tiny OEM strap wasn't going work
4993 4997 4998
Next I'm working on a way to have some type of trash container meant for small things; gum wrapper or a tissue. If it works out it will be leather exterior with a waterproof interior, small and be located in an unobtrusive location.

A dead peddle cover is needed, I'm likely following the thread using stair tread which is readily available at the ACE/ACO hardware stores in my area.

I'd like to cover the small cargo lid, but its not too robust, I have my concerns that doing so would weaken the plastic around the attachment points. Other than the beautiful leather products sold for this purpose, has anyone come up with something?

Fiat500USA
02-17-2013, 10:01 PM
I am starting this thread as a place to show creative ways found to solve interior needs.
This is my quick cheap change for the tiny deck lid pull strap. It's essentially the same as the one made from a red dog leash posted on the forum already, except I can't find my grommet kit. Instead I heated a metal skewer/nail and used it to seal up the nylon hole where the deck strap's attaching bolt passes through. Being able to put my hand into/through the strap is essential. Old hands mean arthritis; that tiny OEM strap wasn't going work
4993 4997 4998
Next I'm working on a way to have some type of trash container meant for small things; gum wrapper or a tissue. If it works out it will be leather exterior with a waterproof interior, small and be located in an unobtrusive location.

A dead peddle cover is needed, I'm likely following the thread using stair tread which is readily available at the ACE/ACO hardware stores in my area.

I'd like to cover the small cargo lid, but its not too robust, I have my concerns that doing so would weaken the plastic around the attachment points. Other than the beautiful leather products sold for this purpose, has anyone come up with something?

Great idea with the strap. Having broken numerous fingers before, I can appreciate making it a little larger for comfort. I like seeing creative, homegrown solutions. Keep us updated!

Abarth Phreak
02-17-2013, 10:55 PM
I like the way you approached it to make it more usable for you, not necessarily prettier, and it appears to work excellent. At 6' I don't even use the loop, but I did try to use it once and know what you mean. Many of my elderly family members have had arthritis, so I can appreciate how you solved an issue. Thank you for this thread.bigclap

Rapps
02-18-2013, 08:45 PM
Question: where do you feel is a good location for a small container for trash? Something about the size of a small pencil pouch. Better to hang (and off of what) or some standing up arrangement.

Tweak
02-18-2013, 08:48 PM
Question: where do you feel is a good location for a small container for trash? Something about the size of a small pencil pouch. Better to hang (and off of what) or some standing up arrangement.

On the side of the shifter column where the mesh net is you could attach a metal bar where the holes are for the net and loop your leather outer and plastic lined pouch...if I were to add it this would be my likely choice. Hopefully that made enough sense. :)

Rapps
02-18-2013, 11:34 PM
On the side of the shifter column where the mesh net is you could attach a metal bar where the holes are for the net and loop your leather outer and plastic lined pouch...if I were to add it this would be my likely choice. Hopefully that made enough sense. :)

Yes it did and thank you. It's been so cold here I run out do a quick thing but haven't really "looked" at the car. The to y metal bar I would use to try it out is ready for recycle....I'll snag it now.

Tweak
02-19-2013, 12:08 AM
Yes it did and thank you. It's been so cold here I run out do a quick thing but haven't really "looked" at the car. The to y metal bar I would use to try it out is ready for recycle....I'll snag it now.

Cool, it'd be interesting to see what comes of it, to me that location makes the most sense.

NC Abarth
02-20-2013, 12:26 AM
It will be interesting to see what folks come up with for trash containers - I was just thinking about that yesterday. In my old car I just chucked trash on the floor in the backseat. I'd like to keep this car nicer...

Also, is anyone aware of a glove compartment organizer for our cars? I've done a few searches but I'm not finding anything yet. Since the glove compartment door does not have any sides on it stuff tends to fall right out. I guess the type of thing I'm looking for would be like this one for a Mini: http://new.minimania.com/images_temp/800600001g2nmi2002a.jpg Might have to think on it a bit and see if I can design my own. Anyway, if you know of something please let me know.

bryanintowson
02-20-2013, 01:04 AM

I wedged a small box of kleenex between the rear seat and the rear cupholder. It fit perfectly! I suggest using that area.

Rapps
02-20-2013, 03:50 AM
I like the idea to use door pockets, then each front seat would have a trash container.
I've had a small plastic bottle which fit between the hand break, seat and cup holder. It was easy to use and didn't get knocked around.
I took a close up look at the holes where the elastic netting is on the center council. This spot also has every reason to work. I'd like to not remove the elastic netting if I use the center council location.

I got a large piece of black leather by harvesting a coat from a goodwill. I used part of it to cover the deck lid tonight as I still haven't worked out the sleeve, liner and leather arrangement for the trash container. Being able to change the bag easily without a major assembly job is the key. I tried the door pockets but creating a shape that will fit, stay open and not slide back and forth stalled that effort for the time being. Previously I has a bag in that location where you put your Kleenex box. I like that it's not taking up the precious space up front.

I'll post a pic of the deck lid tomorrow (today actually). It looks pretty good, better than the OEM felt look. Too late and cold to go out now.

Rapps
02-20-2013, 09:51 AM
Used carpet tape which tends to bunch as you cut it and the adhesive collects on the blade, spray adhesive would likely be a better option.
5037 5050

hownowcb
02-20-2013, 01:11 PM
A Nestlé 21.8 oz. Nesquik chocolate mix container fits in the door pockets perfectly. The bright yellow plastic is fine with me, since along with the red leather door panels in mine, the combination of red/yellow ties in with the Abarth logos. It's also easier to see in the dark at night. If the color is too obnoxious for some, in the past I've covered items using contact cement and snowmobile seat fabric, which can be found in most fabric stores. For paint, you'd have to use one of the Krylon Fusion varieties, which are intended to be used on plastic that will be subjected to minimal flexing.

Like you, I replaced my trunklid pull, though using red, to compliment my red leather Abarth interior. I also dispensed with a grommet, and did the heated poker trick, which works just fine. I didn't bother to lengthen mine, because even in winter, my trunklid only requires the slightest effort to close. I had the strap material leftover from some now forgotten earlier project.

I found an LED head on a short gooseneck that plugs into the accessory socket. I covered the lens with some taillight repair tape so that it's not as overly bright, and now matches the other red lighting from the switches and instruments. Now I can find my cupholder at night! It's even got an on/off switch, though it doesn't need to, since the socket is switched with the ignition. This particular light was from Northern Tool & Equipment in Minnesota, but I couldn't find it on their online site.

Photos may follow at some point, but currently it's 5°F outside, so don't hold your breath.

Rapps
02-21-2013, 12:48 AM
Worked on the cover for the dead peddle. Used a stair tread, made a template, traced it out, cut it out then used the paint strip heat gun to heat the tread up in order to bend it to fit.

Note: think the pics loaded correctly this time

Update- the cover fits great, does the job and stays put nicely, but the vertical edge which meets the edge of the floor mat gets caught by my shoe as I shift. The material (the mat) has tread there which exacerbates the problem. So.....I'll have to make another where it's edge extends under the floor mat, use the edge without tread and also make it taller. The up side to this is with the road salt it's clear that my shoes and boots touch/rub the carpet there and having it covered is good.

msjulie33
02-21-2013, 02:35 AM
Worked on the cover for the dead peddle. Used a stair tread, made a templet, traced it out, cut it out then used the paint strip heat gun to heat the tread up in order to bend it to fit.

Here's my version - 2 for 1 since the tread was cut and could make 2 dead peddle covers http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?5801-Home-Depot-footrest&p=559180#post559180

Andree
02-21-2013, 09:04 AM
Used carpet tape which tends to bunch as you cut it and the adhesive collects on the blade, spray adhesive would likely be a better option.
5037 5050

That looks REALLY good. Nicely done!

Rapps
02-21-2013, 01:40 PM
I saw your post and the results of your work are very nice, professional looking. I saw that product, but the local hardware priced it at....$6.99 I don't think so! Additionally I tried this other one as I'm a nut and sure enough the snow/water would get on that tiny exposed strip of carpet and drive me nuts :dread:
Yours looks much better for sure.

Here's my version - 2 for 1 since the tread was cut and could make 2 dead peddle covers http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?5801-Home-Depot-footrest&p=559180#post559180

markinmad
02-21-2013, 03:46 PM
I just got the Aries floor liners http://ariesautomotiveinterior.com/3D-Floor-Liners_Description.htm
They fit beautifully! I'll post pictures when it's better weather outside.

Rapps
02-22-2013, 12:25 AM
I just got the Aries floor liners http://ariesautomotiveinterior.com/3D-Floor-Liners_Description.htm
They fit beautifully! I'll post pictures when it's better weather outside.

Those look perfect! How much are they?

Tweak
02-22-2013, 01:55 AM
Those look perfect! How much are they?

Aries FI00121509 Black Rear 3D Floor Liner - 2 Piece - $71.94

Aries FI00111509 Black Front 3D Floor Liner - 2 Piece - $95.94

Both from Amazon.

msjulie33
02-22-2013, 10:41 AM
I saw your post and the results of your work are very nice, professional looking. I saw that product, but the local hardware priced it at....$6.99 I don't think so!

Wow what a ripoff!

luckymoi
02-22-2013, 02:46 PM
Well my cocomats were more than 6.99.
Front, rear and then trunk
#51 black, red dots, red trim... wear like iron, love 'em, nostalgic.
They were recommended ages ago on this forum.
The owner is Drew, nice to work with...

Rapps
02-28-2013, 03:23 PM
I have done some work on the leather trash container. This sample has black leather with nearly matching orange. None sewed together, but gave me a sense of scale. Too big!

Rapps
03-23-2013, 05:01 PM
The Quick container in the door pocket won out.
I covered it in a near matching leather with black rubber edging from another auto project.
I had originally wanted to end up with a leather version of the "auto trash - car litter bag" sold by TheModMobile on ETSY
The space where it would of hung would of been cramped as I got a cheap phone cradle which suctions onto the lid of this plastic jar (found at the $ store with a product in it). The jar fits the cup holder almost perfectly, although I did add some auto foam to make its fit very tight. The phone is high enough to see well and near the power so a cord won't be hanging all over. I will cover the outside of the plastic jar in black leather.

rick nowak
05-19-2013, 08:12 PM
velcro dots are useful for holding things in place. the glue is pretty strong and they also can be sewn on if needed. could hold a trash container in door pockets. plastic milk cartons can be thermoformed with heat gun/hair dryer and i think ABS plumbing pipe adhesive can work on this plastic. price is right.

cmj912
05-20-2013, 09:52 AM
5037 5050

Did I miss the post where you said what material you used to cover this? I read through all of them and I can't find it. Did you actually use leather or something else?

Tweak
05-20-2013, 09:31 PM
Did I miss the post where you said what material you used to cover this? I read through all of them and I can't find it. Did you actually use leather or something else?

Thinking I read he had used an old leather coat actually, pretty sure about it.

atomicleda
07-26-2013, 05:04 PM
Anyone have an idea for a seat belt guide? The seat belt cuts against my neck and I need to move it closer to my shoulder. I've tried those clips that attach to the belt at waist level and slide it over, but they wrinkle my clothes and never stay put.

I'm thinking of something that could be attached to the headrest.

Tweak
07-26-2013, 05:49 PM
Anyone have an idea for a seat belt guide? The seat belt cuts against my neck and I need to move it closer to my shoulder. I've tried those clips that attach to the belt at waist level and slide it over, but they wrinkle my clothes and never stay put.

I'm thinking of something that could be attached to the headrest.

Welcome to the forum.

The method for attachment would be a bigger challenge on the Abarth compared to the other FIAT models. I haven't found issues with the seat-belt but I hope you find a solution that works for you to increase your comfort!

atomicleda
07-26-2013, 11:31 PM
Thanks! I probably should have specified.....I have a 2013 500 C. Love the Abarth, but have a back injury that makes using a clutch difficult.

Tweak
07-26-2013, 11:54 PM
Thanks! I probably should have specified.....I have a 2013 500 C. Love the Abarth, but have a back injury that makes using a clutch difficult.

Your avatar and Garage pic told me this but I figured I would mention it in case you decided to try to make this something all 500 owners might enjoy. ;)

Rapps
01-19-2014, 01:14 PM
Yes I used a leather coat I got at a resale shop. Fine Italian leather, enough to do two deck covers $8.00.
Update: it's still holding on very well, warm up to 100+ degrees and cold down to -10 degrees. It was a great mod.

Rapps
01-19-2014, 01:22 PM
Got tired of trying to not drag the scraper end of the snow brush/scraper on the paint and hardest is to not scratch the underside of the scoop.
Cut the scraper end off, had a rubber cap that fit and zip tied a little scraper to the handle. Hold the scraper with the handle when brushing, opposite when scraping.