PDA

View Full Version : 500 turbo vs abarth

luka
02-16-2013, 12:01 AM
Did some searching but didn't find anything. I was wondering whats the difference between the abarth and 500T? I am assuming they both have the same turbo platform, so why the difference in power? If I missed a thread with this info can someone point me in the right direction.

Tweak
02-16-2013, 12:17 AM
Did some searching but didn't find anything. I was wondering whats the difference between the abarth and 500T? I am assuming they both have the same turbo platform, so why the difference in power? If I missed a thread with this info can someone point me in the right direction.

The 500T is sort of a cross of the Abarth and the Sport but the main difference that is the most apparent is the power difference. The turbo is de-tuned in the 500T so you have less power and torque. Abarth = 160 hp and 170 lb-ft of torque 500T is 135 hp and 150 lb-ft.
Are you looking for all the other differences as well?

luka
02-16-2013, 02:37 AM
How can I get that power back? Would a dealership be able to reflash my ecu with the abarth prgraming?

Fiat500USA
02-16-2013, 01:48 PM

Here are the details:

Fiat 500T Standard Equipment Comparison (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2012/08/fiat-500t-standard-equipment-comparison.html)

The New 2013 Fiat 500 Turbo is Finally Here! (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2012/08/the-new-2013-fiat-500-turbo-is-finally.html)

More Fiat 500T Rumors (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2012/05/more-fiat-500t-rumors.html)

First Fiat 500T Images? (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2012/03/first-fiat-500t-images.html)

Nearly everything you want to know on the 500 is on Fiat500USA.com. Check it out! :smile:

Pinecone
02-17-2013, 04:55 PM
It is not that easy.

I am sure it can be done somehow, but you are also not getting the suspension and other parts. Better to just get an Abarth.

JackandSue
02-24-2013, 08:22 PM
The dealers can't retune the 500T plus the Abarth has different suspension cost diff $3000. If you want a peppy street car the 500T is great but if you want to autox or go on track days no.

luka
02-25-2013, 01:17 AM
No autox for me. I already bought a 500t and plan on buying an abarth by the end id this year.

BBear
01-26-2015, 02:07 PM
I'm gonna bring this thread back from the dead!

I am(was) primarily looking for a 12/13 Abarth with the intention of upgrading suspension (Eibachs + Koni) and piggyback tuner.

Now I have a follow up question after I came across a 13 500T, climate control, sunroof, but no leather with 11K miles and $12K: if I perform the same upgrades as I would with the Abarth (suspension + tune), would the 500T be a comparable option, in terms of performance? I suspect the answer would be yes.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

opiateESP
01-26-2015, 03:14 PM
I'm gonna bring this thread back from the dead!

I am(was) primarily looking for a 12/13 Abarth with the intention of upgrading suspension (Eibachs + Koni) and piggyback tuner.

Now I have a follow up question after I came across a 13 500T, climate control, sunroof, but no leather with 11K miles and $12K: if I perform the same upgrades as I would with the Abarth (suspension + tune), would the 500T be a comparable option, in terms of performance? I suspect the answer would be yes.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Once you tune a 500T, there is no performance difference in terms of horsepower. In fact, the 500T has the advantage of being 100lbs lighter.

junnyquest
01-26-2015, 05:41 PM
Same brakes on both cars, so the only really stand out mod for the Turbo would be to add a rear bar... and maybe Abarth (or aftermarket) springs.

mudking
01-26-2015, 05:59 PM
I thought you could not Fully turn off esc on the 500T...maybe I'm wrong...

gundam2000
01-26-2015, 06:08 PM
esc cant be fully turned off in a T that I know of even with tuning options on the market (Something might come out eventually maybe...)
abarth would have a rear bar but that can be fixed with CPR parts.
seats are going to be different
rear bumper cutout for only one exhaust tip
other cosmetic changes.

BBear
01-26-2015, 06:09 PM
Once you tune a 500T, there is no performance difference in terms of horsepower. In fact, the 500T has the advantage of being 100lbs lighter.

Good to know, as I suspected it! Nice 500T you have there!

BBear
01-26-2015, 06:11 PM
esc cant be fully turned off in a T that I know of even with tuning options on the market (Something might come out eventually maybe...)
abarth would have a rear bar but that can be fixed with CPR parts.
seats are going to be different
rear bumper cutout for only one exhaust tip
seats
other cosmetic changes.

Thanks for the detailed input.

opiateESP
01-26-2015, 06:48 PM
I thought you could not Fully turn off esc on the 500T...maybe I'm wrong...

This is correct. Doesn't make a difference in launches but I bet it would have an impact on the AutoX

BigDaddySRT
01-26-2015, 08:47 PM
This is correct. Doesn't make a difference in launches but I bet it would have an impact on the AutoX

The Dynamic Yaw sensor is mounted to the Firewall behind the Lower Center of the Console.
Put a switch to cut the signal from the Dynamic Yaw Sensor, and the ESC System will fault Full OFF.

opiateESP
01-26-2015, 08:53 PM
The Dynamic Yaw sensor is mounted to the Firewall behind the Lower Center of the Console.
Put a switch to cut the signal from the Dynamic Yaw Sensor, and the ESC System will fault Full OFF.

Yeah, I posted pics of it a while ago... never thought of mounting a switch to it though. Has anyone tried that?

Babel
01-26-2015, 09:02 PM
Awhile ago a red T tried me at a light on a backroad behind ft lewis, probably mile stretch of nothing and no one, I royally smoked him, by allot.

T was never an option for me.

opiateESP
01-26-2015, 09:09 PM
Awhile ago a red T tried me at a light on a backroad behind ft lewis, probably mile stretch of nothing and no one, I royally smoked him, by allot.

T was never an option for me.

That's stock for stock. Mods make it a different race... mind you... he could have also sucked. I've done quite a few runs with Abarth's. The difference wasn't really that pronounced when stock. They were definitely faster though.

I'm heading to Auburn the first week in February. Come see how your Abarth does against my 500T :D

zyxelenator
01-26-2015, 10:29 PM
That's stock for stock. Mods make it a different race... mind you... he could have also sucked. I've done quite a few runs with Abarth's. The difference wasn't really that pronounced when stock. They were definitely faster though.

I'm heading to Auburn the first week in February. Come see how your Abarth does against my 500T :D

If Babel has only Intake and Go Pedal--he has no chance :)

Babel
01-26-2015, 11:08 PM
If we're playing on different levels I'd rather just bring the subie.

opiateESP
01-26-2015, 11:12 PM
If we're playing on different levels I'd rather just bring the subie.

I'd be in for that too! Winning and losing are just different outcomes to the same experience.

BigDaddySRT
01-28-2015, 07:58 AM
Yeah, I posted pics of it a while ago... never thought of mounting a switch to it though. Has anyone tried that?

I added a switch on to my 2008 Caliber SRT-4 because the ESC System would only turn off 70%. I wanted 100% Full OFF. No more Nannies, just ABS.

I added a switch on to my 2011 Charger R/T Road and Track because the ESC System would only turn off 70%. I wanted 100% Full OFF. No more Nannies, just ABS.

I don't need to add a switch to my 2013 Challenger R/T Road and Track because the 6 Speed ESC Switch will disable the ESC System Full OFF by holding the switch for 6 seconds.
I don't need to add a switch to my 2013 ABARTH because the ESC Switch will disable the ESC System Full OFF by holding the switch for 6 seconds.

As you can see... Chrysler has been using the same Dynamic Yaw Sensor for a while now.

opiateESP
01-28-2015, 11:29 PM
I added a switch on to my 2008 Caliber SRT-4 because the ESC System would only turn off 70%. I wanted 100% Full OFF. No more Nannies, just ABS.

I added a switch on to my 2011 Charger R/T Road and Track because the ESC System would only turn off 70%. I wanted 100% Full OFF. No more Nannies, just ABS.

I don't need to add a switch to my 2013 Challenger R/T Road and Track because the 6 Speed ESC Switch will disable the ESC System Full OFF by holding the switch for 6 seconds.
I don't need to add a switch to my 2013 ABARTH because the ESC Switch will disable the ESC System Full OFF by holding the switch for 6 seconds.

As you can see... Chrysler has been using the same Dynamic Yaw Sensor for a while now.

I'll give it a shot. Did the cars throw any codes when you did this?

BigDaddySRT
01-29-2015, 06:49 AM
I'll give it a shot. Did the cars throw any codes when you did this?

The ECM would store a DTC... but it wouldn't kick the MIL.

Back before I had the VCDS and a hand held OBD Reader I would just disconnect the battery for a hard reset and remove all stored DTC's.

opiateESP
01-29-2015, 01:16 PM
The ECM would store a DTC... but it wouldn't kick the MIL.

Back before I had the VCDS and a hand held OBD Reader I would just disconnect the battery for a hard reset and remove all stored DTC's.

Was the difference most notable in the corners?

BigDaddySRT
01-30-2015, 08:50 AM
Was the difference most notable in the corners?

Running Sticky Tires throws the ESC System a Loop. Hard acceleration throws the ESC System a Loop. Hard Cornering throws the ESC System for a Loop.
Running the Car on a FWD Dyno throws the ESC System a Loop because the front wheels are spinning, but the rears are stationary.

Haven't you ever noticed during any form of aggressive driving that "Mr. Squiggles" in the Cluster blinks at you?
The ESC System is chopping the throttle closed, adjusting timing, and cycling the ABS System to keep you in check.

You think you are getting Full Throttle because your foot is on the floor, but the ESC System is controlling.

The first thing that I always do when I drive the ABARTH or the Challenger is I turn the ESC System to Full OFF.
Now... if it's raining, or extremely low ambients outside I will leave the system in Partial OFF.

opiateESP
01-30-2015, 12:20 PM
Running Sticky Tires throws the ESC System a Loop. Hard acceleration throws the ESC System a Loop. Hard Cornering throws the ESC System for a Loop.
Running the Car on a FWD Dyno throws the ESC System a Loop because the front wheels are spinning, but the rears are stationary.

Haven't you ever noticed during any form of aggressive driving that "Mr. Squiggles" in the Cluster blinks at you?
The ESC System is chopping the throttle closed, adjusting timing, and cycling the ABS System to keep you in check.

You think you are getting Full Throttle because your foot is on the floor, but the ESC System is controlling.

The first thing that I always do when I drive the ABARTH or the Challenger is I turn the ESC System to Full OFF.
Now... if it's raining, or extremely low ambients outside I will leave the system in Partial OFF.

When ESC is "off", I've only seen him blink at me in hard corners. Wheel spin on launch or breaking traction while punching it in a low gear doesn't cause issue so long as I'm going in a straight line. Sticky tires lessened the effect.

Tweak
01-30-2015, 12:33 PM
I wish we had some kind of launch control options, with ESC full on and UniChip Stage I I get a ton of wheel spin off the line and through the first few gears. There are cars I am faster than but due to wheel spin they'll outrun me. I know how I can make it launch better but I wish there was a button to engage such a feature when desired. Seems with ESC full off I'd be worse off.

500MADNESS.com
01-30-2015, 02:34 PM
We definitely see a lot more ABARTH's to turbos come in. There both very popular cars regardless because of the modification capabilities.