PDA

View Full Version : Experience with slicks on Abarth?

Abarth67
02-12-2013, 05:06 PM
4947I am getting a set of OZ wheels with Hoosier slicks on them. Anybody had any experience with this set up? Should be fun.

BigDaddySRT
02-12-2013, 05:13 PM
http://youtu.be/SZVOklOIyxY

William M Jacocks Jr
02-12-2013, 05:22 PM
Wow, nice video of a terrific recovery from and accident about to happen! LOL

redred
02-12-2013, 05:35 PM
Road Race is running Toyo R888 Proxes on their Urban Warrior and it seemed to do quite well at the Streets of Willow track day (once it warmed up, that is). When I arrived at the track it was 17 degrees F. It was bloody cold!

They aren't full slicks but they held up a heck of a lot better than the Pirelli's did.

Abarth67
02-12-2013, 05:51 PM
http://youtu.be/SZVOklOIyxY

Love that! Doubt it would happen at an auto X though.

shagghie
02-12-2013, 06:22 PM
Love that! Doubt it would happen at an auto X though.
In a stock 500 yes, but not with an Abarth. I'm going to go for some Yoko AD08's for my next set of DD/Auto-X tires on the stock 17" wheels. I think you get a + 10 effective width gain by doing so, and they are also good in the wet for DD considerations. The P-Zero's were horrible on the Auto-X weekend before last, even inflated to 48F/45Rpsi, they still pushed way too much.

Jjm4life
02-12-2013, 07:36 PM
i wouldnt wanna do it on the stock suspension.. too much tire. seen that end poorly before in an auto-x. long story short, it ended with 5 people turning the car back over off its windshield.

that being said, r888 are dope tires. ran them on my lotus(s). switched the r1r as they last 3x as long, and were really great on the street.

stealthy1ss
02-12-2013, 08:13 PM
A friend of mine was at National's (SCCA AutoX) and said that he saw an Abarth 2 wheeling with hoosiers. As said above those tires are probably a little too much for the stock suspension.

Mr. Man
02-12-2013, 10:05 PM
Bet that guy had the scare of his life

Saxonite
02-13-2013, 03:12 AM
In a stock 500 yes, but not with an Abarth. I'm going to go for some Yoko AD08's for my next set of DD/Auto-X tires on the stock 17" wheels. I think you get a + 10 effective width gain by doing so, and they are also good in the wet for DD considerations. The P-Zero's were horrible on the Auto-X weekend before last, even inflated to 48F/45Rpsi, they still pushed way too much.

I thought the Pirellis did fine last year. Your tire pressures are really high and I would expect the car to push with the fronts at 48 psi. The highest I have ever had my tires for any car is 40. You want them just high enough that the shoulder isn't rolling over. I ran mine close to stock and was getting a fair amount of rotation for a fwd car. You can't toss this car in like a miata.

Abarth67
02-13-2013, 08:32 AM
I have the Magneti Marelli springs and plan to add spacers. Just adds to the pucker factor I guess.

BigDaddySRT
02-13-2013, 08:44 AM

Suspension Set-Up?

You do know that the 50 psi is the max psi for the Pirelli P-Zero Nero 205/40R17 Tires???

If you were setting those psi with the tires Cold... then you are easily overheating the tire and you are approaching destroying them and causing chaos.

jguerdat
02-13-2013, 09:11 AM
The push issue is there at stock pressures which is what I used last year in the few autocrosses I got in. 50 PSI is the max PERMANENT pressure and is more likely to keep the tire from overheating since there will be less flex. Even overheating the tire isn't going to destroy it since you'll also lose grip and be forced to slow down. Chaos, yes - it'll get slippery.

Two-wheeling cars are not new but the 500 series wants to explore that limit more than most other cars. I've had my Fiat 850 Coupe on two wheels, seen original Minis at 45 degrees, '80s BMW 3 series had a series of rollovers in autocross, etc., etc. SCCA has a point in fearing rollover on R comps (yet another reason to limit stock class cars to street tires) but the 500 isn't the only one (I remember seeing that the Mini Countryman also has been excluded, not that I'd particularly want to run one of those). Getting up on two wheels happens all the time in racing venues, the question is whether it's gonna continue.

I would have no problem running R comps on the Abarth. Ideally, I'd want to lower the car for a lower CG and enhanced handling (one doesn't necessarily imply the other) which is why I've suggested the Kumho 16" V710s rather than any 17s.

Finally, I want to increase front camber from the stock -1.5 degrees to at least -2.0 if not the full range at -2.5. That may well help the push but then will add grip which could exacerbate the roll issue.

shagghie
02-27-2013, 01:01 AM
48/45 was the hot temp on the track just after a run. It's where several FWD instructors reconmended the pressures after chalking the tires first 3 runs. I rolled in with stock cold PSI but the car pushed horribly until we landed at 48/45. Not saying that's ideal or anything, but in GS i had nothing else for them to adjust and help me with.

Suspension Set-Up?

You do know that the 50 psi is the max psi for the Pirelli P-Zero Nero 205/40R17 Tires???

If you were setting those psi with the tires Cold... then you are easily overheating the tire and you are approaching destroying them and causing chaos.

cerebrix
03-02-2013, 11:48 AM
The push issue is there at stock pressures which is what I used last year in the few autocrosses I got in. 50 PSI is the max PERMANENT pressure and is more likely to keep the tire from overheating since there will be less flex. Even overheating the tire isn't going to destroy it since you'll also lose grip and be forced to slow down. Chaos, yes - it'll get slippery.

Two-wheeling cars are not new but the 500 series wants to explore that limit more than most other cars. I've had my Fiat 850 Coupe on two wheels, seen original Minis at 45 degrees, '80s BMW 3 series had a series of rollovers in autocross, etc., etc. SCCA has a point in fearing rollover on R comps (yet another reason to limit stock class cars to street tires) but the 500 isn't the only one (I remember seeing that the Mini Countryman also has been excluded, not that I'd particularly want to run one of those). Getting up on two wheels happens all the time in racing venues, the question is whether it's gonna continue.

I would have no problem running R comps on the Abarth. Ideally, I'd want to lower the car for a lower CG and enhanced handling (one doesn't necessarily imply the other) which is why I've suggested the Kumho 16" V710s rather than any 17s.

Finally, I want to increase front camber from the stock -1.5 degrees to at least -2.0 if not the full range at -2.5. That may well help the push but then will add grip which could exacerbate the roll issue.

left foot braking helps with push a LOT in these cars.

its hard as hell to learn, but with practice, and a lot of patience anyone can. just dont be afraid of headbutting your steering wheel when youre trying to learn.

but if i can learn it, anyone can.

TubeDriver
03-05-2013, 02:33 PM
left foot braking helps with push a LOT in these cars.

its hard as hell to learn, but with practice, and a lot of patience anyone can. just dont be afraid of headbutting your steering wheel when youre trying to learn.

but if i can learn it, anyone can.

I slightly disagree with you. Left foot braking is not hard to learn, it just takes some time. Practice it regularly on the street and in ~2 weeks you will be comfortable with basic left foot braking. Just don't try to learn it on the track (same with heel/toe) as there is usually too much else for beginners to focus on.

I do agree with you on the head butt part, because the first couple left foot brakes will actually be left foot stomps! ;)

shagghie
03-05-2013, 02:48 PM
I ran with lower pressures last weekend. That combined with new Madness Coilovers definitely helped with turn-in... I've also adjust my driving style significantly after only two events...much slower in and earlier in, and a smoother exit. I was getting on it coming out of the corners, but was finding the car just pushed in a straight line as soon as I lost grip under power (and lost tire-patch contact in the process). I think a full LSD would be amazing in these cars in that regard. I've now had 4 other experienced FWD drivers in total take the car around...all of them have said the car is very capable, but needs a rear torsion bar and better tires to really be competitive.
I ran the coilovers at a not-too-agressive height and even stance F/R (easily get 1 finger between 17" stock wheels/tires and wheel well arch). The course at Qualcomm was brutal this last weekend, with diagonal drainage ditches sending a lot of cars flying, scraping, etc. I was happy I didn't have any serious issues with those sections, and glad I didn't go too low for the event. My best run was a 72.8 after 6 times around. One of the instructors pulled out a 74.2 his first time around without even pushing himself or the car while talking me through the course....can't imagine what he would have done on a second all-out lap. This car is awesome in the hands of a good driver, and I found the slower I went, the faster my times were every time. Sorry, this is a little OT at this point for this thread.... and a long way to say that I'm hoping by the time my P-zero's are toast, I'll be a better driver with this car and be able to better leverage some Yoko AD08's around the course.
I haven't been on two wheels yet, but I was on three all day long... :-/