PDA

View Full Version : Abarth Oil Consumption? (Oil Level)

Deefourtay
02-07-2013, 06:34 PM
My Abarth only shows a 3/4 Level on the dipstick with only 2800 miles on the car.. I checked the oil level when the engine was cold & hot, same results..

I brought my car into the Studio this morning and the Service Guy told me that it's normal for a forced induction car due to some blow by, & that up to 2/4 level on the dipstick is still acceptable.. Anybody else here have any Oil Consumption on their Abarths?

Thank You

jguerdat
02-07-2013, 07:25 PM
That's gonna be dependent on so many variables. My S2000 has used a quart every 1k miles for years and it is what it is. Others bitch when they have to add a quart at 4k miles. Engine variability, driving style, boost time, etc. all get in there. I'll say that my Abarth is using very little but I want more time/mileage before figuring that it's normal.

Deefourtay
02-07-2013, 08:23 PM
I read from another forum that this can happen if you do a lot of short trips, my daily commute is only 4 miles so that could be the culprit.. No biggie, I really only added 1/10 of a quart and the dipstick went back to normal level, I also plan to get my oil changed in about 1000 miles anyways since the car still has the original oil in it.

Fiat500USA
02-08-2013, 01:04 AM
That is a pretty insignificant amount of oil for the mileage covered in a new car, so I wouldn't worry about it. Here are the guidelines:

The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles listed above is 0.946 liter (1 qt.) in 3,200 km (2,000 mi) for the 1st 80,467 km (50,000 mi). For vehicles with more then 80,467 km (50,000 mi) the acceptable oil consumption for engines is 0.946 liter (1 qt.) in 1,207 km (750 mi).

This above rate only applies to personal use vehicles, under warranty, that are driven in a non-aggressive manner and maintained in accordance
with the appropriate maintenance schedule. This rate does not apply to vehicles that are driven in an aggressive manner, at high RPM, high speeds.

Aggressive Driving
Aggressive driving and/or continuous driving at high speeds with high RPM's will increase
oil consumption. Because this may not always be an everyday occurrence, it is hard to
determine exactly how much the oil economy will be affected. A higher rate of oil
consumption is normal for vehicles equipped with manual transmissions that are driven
aggressively. Aggressive means; operation at high RPM (3,000 RPM to redline), with
frequent use of engine braking (using the engine to slow the vehicle). Vehicles that are
driven aggressively may consume engine oil at a rate of up to 0.946 L (1 quart) every 805
km (500 mi). This is normal for a vehicle that is driven aggressively. No repair is
necessary. This driving habit will require the owner to check the engine oil level at frequent
intervals, to verified the oil level remains within the recommended operating range. Oil
level should be checked every time you get fuel.

courtesy of Chrysler LLC

Deefourtay
02-08-2013, 02:56 AM
Thanks, this info was very helpful

That is a pretty insignificant amount of oil for the mileage covered in a new car, so I wouldn't worry about it. Here are the guidelines:

The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles listed above is 0.946 liter (1 qt.) in 3,200 km (2,000 mi) for the 1st 80,467 km (50,000 mi). For vehicles with more then 80,467 km (50,000 mi) the acceptable oil consumption for engines is 0.946 liter (1 qt.) in 1,207 km (750 mi).

This above rate only applies to personal use vehicles, under warranty, that are driven in a non-aggressive manner and maintained in accordance
with the appropriate maintenance schedule. This rate does not apply to vehicles that are driven in an aggressive manner, at high RPM, high speeds.

Aggressive Driving
Aggressive driving and/or continuous driving at high speeds with high RPM's will increase
oil consumption. Because this may not always be an everyday occurrence, it is hard to
determine exactly how much the oil economy will be affected. A higher rate of oil
consumption is normal for vehicles equipped with manual transmissions that are driven
aggressively. Aggressive means; operation at high RPM (3,000 RPM to redline), with
frequent use of engine braking (using the engine to slow the vehicle). Vehicles that are
driven aggressively may consume engine oil at a rate of up to 0.946 L (1 quart) every 805
km (500 mi). This is normal for a vehicle that is driven aggressively. No repair is
necessary. This driving habit will require the owner to check the engine oil level at frequent
intervals, to verified the oil level remains within the recommended operating range. Oil

courtesy of Chrysler LLC

trevc
02-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Just to make sure, have them check your rear main seal. A number of engines built in early 2012 were assembled wrong and oil can leak from there.

Pinecone
02-08-2013, 01:40 PM
Also, check the manual, there is a specific timing for checking the oil after shutdown.

Also, realize the dipstick from Full to Add is 1 quart, NOT the the full range. So you are down about 8 ounces of oil.

FTY
02-08-2013, 01:57 PM

Aggressive Driving

courtesy of Chrysler LLC

I shouldnt have any oil left then....;)

Thanks for the tech info Chris

ukeluthier
02-08-2013, 02:04 PM
Forgive my impertinence, please... but "acceptable" is a loaded term. That consumption rate may be acceptable to Chrysler when considering warranty claims, but it certainly wouldn't be to many owners or to the environment.

At those rates, we might as well be driving 2-strokes. :wink:

Aggressive Driving

courtesy of Chrysler LLC

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
02-08-2013, 03:11 PM
Also, check the manual, there is a specific timing for checking the oil after shutdown.

Also, realize the dipstick from Full to Add is 1 quart, NOT the the full range. So you are down about 8 ounces of oil.

This could be a case of checking the oil before 5 mins after shut down. I have noticed the dipstick reads low if checked early

Deefourtay
02-08-2013, 06:35 PM
I have a 2013, but sure doesn't hurt to check anyways.

Just to make sure, have them check your rear main seal. A number of engines built in early 2012 were assembled wrong and oil can leak from there.

Deefourtay
02-08-2013, 06:37 PM
I checked after 1 hour & after 5 mins.. Same 3/4 level

But it's good to know that I really didn't consume much oil considering that I drive short trips & down shift my Abarth at times

This could be a case of checking the oil before 5 mins after shut down. I have noticed the dipstick reads low if checked early

Fiat500USA
02-09-2013, 01:05 AM
Forgive my impertinence, please... but "acceptable" is a loaded term. That consumption rate may be acceptable to Chrysler when considering warranty claims, but it certainly wouldn't be to many owners or to the environment.

At those rates, we might as well be driving 2-strokes. :wink:

Official oil consumption guidelines are usually eye-opening, especially to those not in the industry. However, the ones listed by Chrysler are in keeping with industry standards and are actually better than some, like VW/Audi. I remember being surprised when I found out thirty years ago the official acceptable oil consumption rate on an Alfa Romeo was a quart every 1000km or 621 miles and for GM it was 1 quart per 1000 miles.

Pinecone
02-10-2013, 11:28 AM
BMW acceptable oil consumption is similar. About a quart every 1000 miles is within spec.

ukeluthier
02-10-2013, 03:32 PM
Back in the day, my old 2-stroke scooters burned a quart of oil every 800 - 1000 miles. 2-strokes like those can no longer be sold new or imported into the US because of the resulting emissions.

Why is this level of consumption "acceptable" for a Fiat or BMW? Crankcase recirculation? I suspect so, but I'd think it would be awfully hard on the cat. Seems like a terrible waste of good oil and money as well.

No car I've owned has even approached this level of oil consumption since the gawdawful Audi Fox I owned back in the late '70s, which ate a quart of oil every fill-up after 60k miles because of valve guides made of putty. If a car of mine burns a quart of oil in 1000 miles it won't be in my stable long, because this definition of "acceptable" isn't acceptable to me.

Sure, the industry standards are lax... why wouldn't you expect them to be? They're using them to justify rejecting warranty claims. The only standards worth the paper they're written on are developed by independent groups or regulators that have no financial stake.

Pinecone
02-11-2013, 03:45 PM
But how much gas did the scooter burn? Not much. :)

My 2 stroke street bike burned a quart of oil more often than that.

And you are right, what is acceptable is not what is normal.

You claim it is due to not having to honor a warranty. It can also be to set service limits of when to rebuild an engine.

ukeluthier
02-11-2013, 04:13 PM
But how much gas did the scooter burn? Not much. :)

My 2 stroke street bike burned a quart of oil more often than that.

And you are right, what is acceptable is not what is normal.

You claim it is due to not having to honor a warranty. It can also be to set service limits of when to rebuild an engine.

The point of my rant is simply that a manufacturer's or an industry's standard of what is "acceptable" does not take into account "to whom?" and is most likely developed just to protect their own interests.

For example, a consortium of manufacturers supplying "ice cream" to Sam's Club could develop a standard that decrees that 5% butterfat is an acceptable level for ice cream, but that would not make real ice cream lovers very happy.

A REAL standard is one that is developed by an independent body -- perhaps in cooperation with both industry and consumer groups -- with the intent of establishing a respected datum for the community at large.

I agree with your last point that an oil consumption standard can be used to set service limits, but a real, independently developed standard would serve that use better.

Pinecone
02-12-2013, 11:22 AM
Only thing is, when you get a third party independent standard, you have to PAY, and BIG BUCKS to get copies of the standard.

I use such standards every day. and the costs of having them is staggering.

Do you actually know of a case of a low mileage engine, with that type of oil consumption, were the manufacturer did not fix it?

ukeluthier
02-12-2013, 04:03 PM
Only thing is, when you get a third party independent standard, you have to PAY, and BIG BUCKS to get copies of the standard.

I use such standards every day. and the costs of having them is staggering.

Do you actually know of a case of a low mileage engine, with that type of oil consumption, were the manufacturer did not fix it?

Not on a car with mileage low enough to be within warranty, admittedly. I'm ranting on principle... just tired of seeing folks parroting the industry/company line on the subject, as though that really meant something.

In my former engineering career, I spent many years on standards development committees for telecommunications. I agree that actually buying copies of complete standards directly from the standards organizations can indeed be expensive, but pertinent content generally becomes free public knowledge pretty quickly.

djhace
02-12-2013, 09:25 PM
damn, now i need to check. lol.

jguerdat
02-13-2013, 09:33 AM

The nice thing about standards is that there's so many to pick from.

laugh2

Drazyw
02-13-2013, 02:26 PM
My Abarth consumes 1QT ever 2500 miles. Confirmed by frequent checking over 12k miles.

Pinecone
02-13-2013, 05:12 PM
Not on a car with mileage low enough to be within warranty, admittedly. I'm ranting on principle... just tired of seeing folks parroting the industry/company line on the subject, as though that really meant something.

So what to use? Or will you develop the independant standard? :)

It is the only thing we have. And most people complaining, don't seem to know what the dipstick is actually telling them. :)

ukeluthier
02-13-2013, 05:28 PM
So what to use? Or will you develop the independant standard? :)

It is the only thing we have. And most people complaining, don't seem to know what the dipstick is actually telling them. :)

I'd be happy to, but I don't think Chrysler would buy off on it; it'd probably be as one-sided as theirs :wink: Somebody like SAE would probably be appropriate, but -- truth is -- regardless of politics it would probably be an impossible task to set a practical standard considering differences in engine designs.

I do know what my dipstick is telling me, and it is telling me that I have no problem whatsoever with my Abarth so far. If I did, though, I just wouldn't want to be confronted with that bogus "standard" when I went in to complain.

Fiat500USA
02-13-2013, 06:31 PM
Maybe I'm just used to Euro cars, but I think a quart every 2000 miles is pretty generous for a manufacturer. What is considered high RPMs in a Fiat engine is a lot different than in a lazy V8 turning 4,000 rpm and ready to blow a rod through the side of the block. I would be annoyed if I babied the car and it burned a quart every 500 miles, but if I was roadracing or beating on it, I would probably accept it.

djhace
02-14-2013, 09:09 PM
just looked. think i have 1/3 left. (33%) that's after 4k miles. i also saw my cooling was just above minimum level.
wonder where i can get that ferrari oil. hm. i know amazon. but that's days away.

SeaDawg
02-14-2013, 11:36 PM
just looked. think i have 1/3 left. (33%) that's after 4k miles. i also saw my cooling was just above minimum level.
wonder where i can get that ferrari oil. hm. i know amazon. but that's days away.

I think you should be able to find the Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5-40 at any Walmart Super Center or other large auto parts store. A FIAT Studio should also have it for sale. Not an Abarth Owner though, if I'm wrong don't sue me, lol.

Fiat500USA
02-15-2013, 12:17 AM

A Dodge, Ram or Jeep dealer should also have it.

djhace
02-15-2013, 02:09 PM

i top it off with castrol edge. i was at the fiat studio earlier today and he said they put oil from fiat, and don't know what the brand is. oil change there was cheap though. if i am not wrong, he said $29.99.

jguerdat
02-16-2013, 09:16 AM
Make sure that price is for synthetic. My dealer's service quoted similar prices until I talked to the Fiat-specific writer. That said, the cost of the oil change with the Pennzoil Ultra European oil was within spitting distance of what I would have paid to do it myself so I let them do it.

Pinecone
02-17-2013, 05:22 PM
The Pennzoil is not easy to find.

Of course you can hit a Fiat Studio or a Ferrari dealership. :)

But any synthetic, 5W-40 would be fine for a top off.

And the $29.99 oil change is not for an Abarth, that will be non-synthetic oil. The oil will cost more than $29.95.

squeeze
02-18-2013, 12:04 PM
Interesting thread.

I hit a little over 4000km and the oil is sitting at 3/4 on the dipstick. Still completely clean too!! Dunno what's up with that, but whatever, I'm not complaining!!

So it looks like my little machine is doing well from what people have been posting.

djhace
02-19-2013, 02:11 AM
Make sure that price is for synthetic. My dealer's service quoted similar prices until I talked to the Fiat-specific writer. That said, the cost of the oil change with the Pennzoil Ultra European oil was within spitting distance of what I would have paid to do it myself so I let them do it.

good call. will do. thanks.

Deefourtay
02-19-2013, 08:50 PM
You're Welcome Guys..

http://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-550022576-6PK-Ultra-European-Synthetic/dp/B006A49KJC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1361321389&sr=8-3&keywords=5w40