PDA

View Full Version : How do we reach out to Fiat engineering to persuade them to fix the following?

deathshead
02-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Hey Guys. we need to make our voices heard here, But the problem is to who?
Anyone have any contacts at Fiat in engineering etc?

I would really love to see improvements and firmware updates for the following that really need to be adressed.

#1. The Stock tune. lets face it, it SUCKS. NON sport mode is 100% useless due it
the bad throttle response. In busy city traffic its nice to loosen up the steering but the throttle response sucks clutching it in stop and go traffic.

The next part in the stock tune is the horrible dead spot. This reminds me of my
old Buick Grand nationals with a bad TPS sensor. When the thottle position sensors went bad you would get a terrible dead spot in it feels the same but not AS bad.

Boost and timing mapping issues.
Part throttle boost.
Pulling timing.

Fiat needs to figure this out...
Anyone else with me on any of these annoyances?

The next part is Blue & Me.
Its a Disaster!. This is 2013, not 2000.
Blue and me is buggy and the current firmware stinks.

Phone book goes missing,

Message reader does work.

The biggest part. No streaming audio over bluetooth. <-- THIS really irriates me
that I have to run a USB audio receiver dongle into AUX that essentially nueters the steering wheel controls..

What do we have to do to get Fiat to fix these shortcomings?

axlemax
02-01-2013, 10:33 AM
I'm guessing here, but I bet that the car had to be in "Normal" mode to pass the EPA emissions certification test, and that this has to be the default setting. I'm also guessing that many of the flaws we experience (dead spots, surging, etc) are the result of the ECU calibration compromises needed to meet emissions. I am SO glad that the Abarth RPMs drop when you lift the throttle and depress the clutch to shift. Almost every other late-model manual transmission equipped vehicle that I have driven has the tendancy to keep the revs up when you lift and push in the clutch (In my days as an Automotive Engineer long ago this was called "sailing"). Makes it very awkward to shift smoothly.

Pinecone
02-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Hmm.

I drive 90+% of the time in Normal and have NO issues with it. Yes, Sport is nicer, but Normal is perfectly driveable.

02-01-2013, 11:00 AM
Very happy with mine, not experiencing anything like you describe. I believe Jonathan said anything requested to him gets passed on and if enough have the same gripe they look at it for the future.

bryanintowson
02-01-2013, 11:37 AM
I think I'm probably a rarity here in that I hardly ever use the sport mode. I like normal mode just fine - keep the revs up (even with my automatic transmission) and there's plenty of power for city driving and highway driving. Sure, it keeps my mileage around 33mpg average but if you drive it in normal mode "con brio" then it's entertaining and peppy. Just remember that you have to keep the revs up. To paraphrase James May - you have to rev it till the lifters are clattering against the underside of the hood and then rev it some more and *then* shift.

Plainsman
02-01-2013, 12:28 PM
In regard to #1, I'm with DH on this one. I can't even drive this car unless it's in sport mode. Also, 90% of the time, I have ESC Fully OFF as I don't want the computer braking the vehicle when I'm on the gas. Otherwise, how do you know how much hp/tq you really have available? How do you really know what the limits of the car are? Call me a leadfoot, gearhead, hot-rodder or whatever. I'm thankful that we have a sport button and the ability to disable ESC fully. It's just kind of a hassle to have to go through the process each time I get into the car. What I want to hear when I press the sport button is Scotty saying, "I'm givin' it everything she's got captain." Now we're talking Jack.

Thomas
02-01-2013, 01:02 PM
I am wondering if you went for the re-flash? I noticed quite an improvement in non sports mode after the re-flash.

deathshead
02-01-2013, 08:53 PM
I am wondering if you went for the re-flash? I noticed quite an improvement in non sports mode after the re-flash.

I have a 2013.

RustyPaint
02-01-2013, 10:26 PM
I actually find non-sport mode useful. It actually gives you less of an on/off switch on the throttle in stop and go traffic. Especially when it takes about 3 cycles before you go though an intersection. With the sport button on, it is a bit back of seat, face in the steering wheal when your trying to creep in traffic. And there is really no point for sport mode when your driving a strait line for 7 miles in a 45 zone with no stops.

I'm about 50 on and 50 off with the sport button. I find it useful on the interstate and in town when there is not so much traffic, but rush hour, not much room for any fun.

Wolfie
02-01-2013, 11:21 PM

Phone book goes missing,

+1

Fiat500USA
02-02-2013, 01:38 AM
For everyday driving, I use normal mode. When I need to merge or am in traffic or just want to have fun I'll hit the sport mode. I haven't had the re-flash and am looking forward to it. My car (early 2012) is a little surgy and that is bothersome, but I have no problem with normal mode being undrivable. Large throttle openings off idle can sometimes catch the car a little flat footed - it is a turbo after all and that is the nature of the beast - but I anticipate that and drive accordingly.

I am all for improvements and updates, though, so we'll see. You never know who may wind up reading this stuff... gr_grin

Pinecone
02-02-2013, 04:09 AM
I think I'm probably a rarity here in that I hardly ever use the sport mode. I like normal mode just fine - keep the revs up (even with my automatic transmission) and there's plenty of power for city driving and highway driving. Sure, it keeps my mileage around 33mpg average but if you drive it in normal mode "con brio" then it's entertaining and peppy. Just remember that you have to keep the revs up. To paraphrase James May - you have to rev it till the lifters are clattering against the underside of the hood and then rev it some more and *then* shift.

BIG difference in what the Sport mode does in an Abarth and a non-Abarth car. Abarth gains 20 pounds-feet of torque.

Non-Abarth just gets a different throttle mapping, no power change.

dmvoss
02-02-2013, 11:17 AM
I have one of the first 2012's and had the re-flash done. Zero complaints. I probably use the sport button about 1% of the time and that is when i'm passing on a two lane road. Even on my Mini Cooper S I rarely use the sport button Of course the turbo comes on right off idle on that one.

VTEC Mini
02-02-2013, 01:44 PM
I actually find non-sport mode useful. It actually gives you less of an on/off switch on the throttle in stop and go traffic. Especially when it takes about 3 cycles before you go though an intersection. With the sport button on, it is a bit back of seat, face in the steering wheal when your trying to creep in traffic. And there is really no point for sport mode when your driving a strait line for 7 miles in a 45 zone with no stops.

I'm about 50 on and 50 off with the sport button. I find it useful on the interstate and in town when there is not so much traffic, but rush hour, not much room for any fun.

I agree, for So Cal traffic "NORMAL" is better for heavy traffic congestion. It makes the car much more smoother and not as jumpy.

I do think that the lower body fairing separation is a bit ridiculous this far in production.

Crazy Otto
02-02-2013, 10:42 PM
Hmm.

I drive 90+% of the time in Normal and have NO issues with it. Yes, Sport is nicer, but Normal is perfectly driveable.
With normal I can jump on and off the throttle and have no driveline lash or pogoing. Im generally stuck in stop and go traffic for a bit every day and non sport mode makes it a piece of cake.
No need to finesse clutch at all. One of the best things about the abarth for me.

jguerdat
02-03-2013, 08:57 AM
Of course, the original question includes how to get in touch with someone who can actually address any issues. Anyone have insight?

Andree
02-03-2013, 08:31 PM
Hey Guys. we need to make our voices heard here, But the problem is to who?
Anyone have any contacts at Fiat in engineering etc?

#1. The Stock tune. lets face it, it SUCKS. NON sport mode is 100% useless due it
the bad throttle response. In busy city traffic its nice to loosen up the steering but the throttle response sucks clutching it in stop and go traffic.

What do we have to do to get Fiat to fix these shortcomings?

Do you always face busy city stop and go traffic?

Fiat500USA
02-03-2013, 10:57 PM
Of course, the original question includes how to get in touch with someone who can actually address any issues. Anyone have insight?

Yes, so let's stay on track and keep it constructive.

Pinecone
02-04-2013, 11:13 AM
With only one person thinking there are issues, it is unlikely they will do anything.

But you can contact FiatCares here on the forum. He can put your complaints into the system.

deathshead
02-04-2013, 11:16 AM
I think that the sport-non sport mode thing is just perception, a NON issue.

BUT! I think we can all agree on Blue & Me needs a firmware fix to be up to 2013 standards with Compatibility,reliability bugs etc?

Fiat500USA
02-04-2013, 11:37 AM
Fiat is interested in feedback and what owners think. I think connectivity is an important issue and they need to know how owners feel about it. I'll see what I can do about passing this on, so i just ask to keep the thread constructive and respectful and hopefully it can be expanded upon to make it worthwhile.

Saxonite
02-10-2013, 05:19 AM
If enough people right in then fiat might do something. The sport mode is personal perception more than anything. I personally wouldn't mind the heavier steering at all times but it doesn't bother me that much. I'm not sure what people are talking about with blue and me. I think it works great and find it easy to use everything. My iPhone isn't able to use message reader but I don't think i would use it anyways. I wonder if those that are having issues have android phones.

jguerdat
02-10-2013, 09:39 AM
B&M has issues with seemingly every phone out there other than the iPhone. I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus and it's not even close to being on the list. Matter of fact, the list just isn't that big. I don't know whether it's a Fiat or Microsoft thang (I suspect the latter) but, really, not directly supporting a large list of recent phones?

hownowcb
02-10-2013, 10:17 AM

Good luck getting that fixed. It's from Microsoft. Blame Bill. He thinks his turds don't stink.

I use a 6 year old Blackberry phone, so I haven't even bothered to attempt synching mine. I don't even like using a phone in cars, but then I'm not normal...I think driving is too important to be distracted from.

Responses so far seem to indicate that most either prefer "Normal" for everyday driving, or have otherwise adapted to the two distinctly different modes. Having only had my Abarth during winter months in the snowbelt, "Sport" has been pretty useless. I especially don't like the tightness of the "Sport" steering on freeways, with or without traffic. I do like "Sport" for driving in tight inner city traffic, winding two-lanes, and/or any circumstances when immediate throttle response is advantageous, or more critical. For me, the fact it's not actually "difficult" to reach out and merely push a button to choose a preferred mode is a "benefit".

As someone else observed, since it's turbocharged, I find my Abarth's throttle response feels quite normal in "Normal" mode, and I'm very comfortable driving it that way. Compared to other turbocharged vehicles I've driven or owned, I'm actually quite impressed that the Abarth's turbo lag is barely noticeable.

tryphon
02-10-2013, 10:20 AM
My blue & Me works perfectly with my BlackBerry. I am very happy with it!

ukeluthier
02-10-2013, 03:09 PM
The sport mode is personal perception more than anything.

???!!!

The dyno numbers don't exactly support that view.

Pinecone
02-11-2013, 03:40 PM
In an Abarth it is real power, 20 pounds feet to be exact.

On a non-Abarth is it throttle remapping and steering only, no power change.

Jeepnut
02-11-2013, 06:51 PM
B&M has issues with seemingly every phone out there other than the iPhone. I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus and it's not even close to being on the list. Matter of fact, the list just isn't that big. I don't know whether it's a Fiat or Microsoft thang (I suspect the latter) but, really, not directly supporting a large list of recent phones?
Just my opinion Fiat will dump Blue and Me and go with Chryslers Uconnect system ala the 500L

geeded
02-11-2013, 07:08 PM
Just my opinion Fiat will dump Blue and Me and go with Chryslers Uconnect system ala the 500L

That sounds like a reasonable assumption. It couldn't be worse than B&M.

Cheers