PDA

View Full Version : 17" Pirellis TOTALLY worn out at 18,500 miles.....

Abarthman
01-31-2013, 01:09 PM
Any body else doing any better? I did a few autocrosses and spent a day on VIR at the FLU event :nevreness:, but otherwise, was good to them; checking pressures and rotating as prescribed.
A set of BFG Comp 2's are being mounted this weekend.

How about everyone else???

redred
01-31-2013, 01:15 PM
Seems like you did pretty well then if you did a couple of autocrosses with them! From various reviews I've seen about them I've seen them last anywhere from 8,000 miles (driven REALLY hard) to around 30,000+.

djhace
01-31-2013, 01:29 PM
the autocross must had taking a toll on them.

SteveL
01-31-2013, 06:06 PM
I'm at 18.5K and have 40-50% tread life left. Granted, the Abarth hasn't spent any time at autocrosses or track days.... and not nearly enough twisty roads. Sigh...

Along those lines - Back when I had other cars that endured track days and auto-x, I was lucky to get 8K out of a set of performance street tires.

Saxonite
01-31-2013, 06:26 PM
That seems pretty good if your autocrossing and did a track day. I get about 10k miles out of my summer tires on my Acura with on average 14 autocrosses and 2-3 track days on each set. I use pilot sports on that car.

cerebrix
01-31-2013, 07:19 PM
Any body else doing any better? I did a few autocrosses and spent a day on VIR at the FLU event :nevreness:, but otherwise, was good to them; checking pressures and rotating as prescribed.
A set of BFG Comp 2's are being mounted this weekend.

How about everyone else???

mine got eaten at a lot less.

comp 2's are going to freak you out. they dont even make sense. so soft, so grippy, its like youre rolling on hot glue. but they have a 440 treadwear rating?

almost as if they defy science lol

i love my comp's

edit:

but be prepared. they WILL make the car feel completely different to you, not better, not worse, just different. it will take a few days for you to get used to. but theyre worth it. dear god are they worth it.

rickpike
02-01-2013, 04:36 PM
I did 3 or 4 autocross events this pasts summer and the tires are shot. but i'm not at all surprised or upset about this. They were fantastic tires.

Like stated above, comp 2's will be going on in the spring! Best tires as far as i'm concerned.

Tom2.0
02-06-2013, 01:04 PM
LOL you did pretty well then! I have 14k on the odo and I'm at the wear bars. They're a soft compound tire made for GRIP. NOT treadlife!

Abarthman
02-07-2013, 08:08 AM
I work in R & D for Michelin (we own BFG).

I talked to the guy develops BFG racing compounds. The tread compound on the Comp 2 is the same as a certain very expensive Michelin, but at a much reduced price, obviously.

I have only pushed the car on one entrance ramp so far. Very, VERY impressive!!!!

I can't wait- my next autocross is this weekend!!!:apple:

Ktm250f3
02-07-2013, 04:14 PM
I work in R & D for Michelin (we own BFG).

I talked to the guy develops BFG racing compounds. The tread compound on the Comp 2 is the same as a certain very expensive Michelin, but at a much reduced price, obviously.

I have only pushed the car on one entrance ramp so far. Very, VERY impressive!!!!

I can't wait- my next autocross is this weekend!!!:apple:

Abarthman. Can you find out if there are any plans to make the supersport in a size that will fit our car? Sorry to hijack you can PM me.

MAZ
02-08-2013, 10:19 AM
Nearly 20km with track events? Sounds about right to me.
Not sure if you are you complaining or celebrating?

EliRider
02-08-2013, 12:25 PM
I'm enjoying my Comp 2's... as my daily driver (~50 mile round trip to work). The sidewalls does feel a bit stiffer in the turns which I enjoy.
I'll be curious what to try next or stay with the BFGs. So far, been very satisfied.

Abarthman
02-11-2013, 01:30 PM
Just curious what kind of usage everyone else is getting out of the Pirellis.
Overall, I'm not displeased with the mileage. I just wanted a lot more grip.
The BFG Comp 2s have solved that issue for me, very nicely!

geeded
02-11-2013, 07:21 PM
18.5k on a set sounds good to me. I hope I get that. We had a 2002 Focus SVT for 100k and we NEVER got over 10k (usually 8k) per set. We tried everything, high treadwear index (didn't seem to matter). So I'm good with 18.5k. Enjoy your new tires!

Cheers

Drazyw
02-15-2013, 11:55 AM
12k miles and my P-zeros are done. No tracking. Just daily driver. They were noisy as hell at 9k miles riding the wear bars. Running Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 all seasons now and they are pretty fantastic so far. We'll see how they last.

Abarthman
02-19-2013, 02:29 PM
That was pretty quick with no track time or autocrosses! I thought that I was rough on tires!!!!

Good luck with the Sumitomos.

I highly recommend the BFG Comp 2s, except in cold weather, especially if you really push it (and by your mileage figure, my guess is that you do!!!)

Drazyw
02-20-2013, 10:50 AM
Yeah, my Audi S5 had P-Zero Neros and they lasted about the same miles. I moved to the DWS's on the S5 and they lasted much longer. Since the Sumitomo have a tread warranty we'll see how they hold up.