PDA

View Full Version : Rust behind front wheels...

EugeneS
01-29-2013, 05:53 PM
Today I was at a wheel shop to repair small scratch on my wheel. While they were working on it, I got a good look at the front wheel assembly. Pics are bellow. I see a lot of rust, should I be concerned about this? Is this normal?

Thanks,
Eugene

William M Jacocks Jr
01-29-2013, 07:21 PM
That's normal, you should see it after it sits there a few days in damp humid weather. The whole rotor will do that. Don't worry about it as it is heavy metal and a little surface rust does nothing to it. If you happen to leave it there for a few days where the friction surface gets a little rust, just work the brakes a little as you're leaving out to warm up the brakes and burn the rust off.

ukeluthier
01-29-2013, 08:06 PM
I've never seen a brake rotor that DIDN'T look like that once the car had been driven off the showroom floor.

Dwaynek
01-29-2013, 08:31 PM
normal mine looks the same due to our damp winter weather.

EugeneS
01-29-2013, 09:44 PM
Thank you for the responses! Good thing I don't have to worry about it :)

Corrnaus
01-30-2013, 12:19 AM
I also hate how it look through the wheel.. The only solution to stop it is to go with a good set of nice and expensive carbon ceramic brakes..Might only cost about 10K

Fiat500USA
01-30-2013, 01:39 AM
What I do to help deter that is I clean the rotor off when I wash my car. There is a silver coating/paint on it that if you wash the brake dust off, will look pretty good. However, it is extra work to do this and unless you are really fastidious and do it at every wash, you will still see the rotor start to rust, especially around the perimeter. I don't use my car in the winter, but I can imagine the rotors would get trashed without any care. Once the coating is gone, you'd have to repaint it if the surface rust bothers you.

EugeneS
01-30-2013, 02:31 AM
What I do to help deter that is I clean the rotor off when I wash my car. There is a silver coating/paint on it that if you wash the brake dust off, will look pretty good. However, it is extra work to do this and unless you are really fastidious and do it at every wash, you will still see the rotor start to rust, especially around the perimeter. I don't use my car in the winter, but I can imagine the rotors would get trashed without any care. Once the coating is gone, you'd have to repaint it if the surface rust bothers you.

Thanks Chris. It looks like that silver coating paint is almost completely gone. It's not harsh winter in SF at all but I don't have garage, so 90% of the time I park her outside, so that might be the reason.

FTY
01-30-2013, 09:46 AM
Thanks Chris. It looks like that silver coating paint is almost completely gone. It's not harsh winter in SF at all but I don't have garage, so 90% of the time I park her outside, so that might be the reason.

What works well is a hi-temp paint....take a drill with a wire brush and knock off all the rust. Give ita few coats of paint, I have been using semi-gloss black BBQ paint and it works great.Its about 6 bucks at lowes. (makes sure you tape up the caliper) Any excess on the rotor will get removed by the pads after a few stops.

cmj912
02-01-2013, 10:36 AM
That's a great idea. FWIW, all of the cars unsold on the lot look like this to some degree. At least here they do.

Pinecone
02-01-2013, 10:40 AM
If you do any track work, you may burn off even high temp paint. :)

bryanintowson
02-01-2013, 11:39 AM
on my last car I replaced the rotors with after market models with the center hub painted with high temp paint to keep the rust down to a minimum.