PDA

View Full Version : Abarth feels Slugish After I recieved the car back from the Dealer.

Deefourtay
01-28-2013, 01:51 PM
My 2013 Abarth went into the dealer weeks ago to have the front bumper chip repaired, ever since it felt a bit slower to me for some reason and it doesn't always hit 18 PSI..

The exhaust also backfires less and doesn't feel like it runs as smooth.. The dealer told me they took off the front bumper & headlights to paint it, so is it possible that they touched any of the Intercooler Piping or anything?

Thanks,

-Ryan

Robert Nixon
01-28-2013, 03:00 PM
Anything is possible, but I'm sure you have to ask the dealer or the mechanic that worked on it. Tell them what you're feeling on the drive and ask them what they can do about it.

Plainsman
01-28-2013, 03:39 PM
I would suspect two possibilities.

1) when they removed the bumper for painting, they may have disconnected the intercooler piping and pulled the bumper off with the intercoolers still attached to the bumper. If so, I would suspect that one or more of the connections on the intercooler inlet and outlet were not tightened properly when reinstalled. You didn't mention if you heard any hissing noise when boosting. If you hear hissing noise when on the throttle, I would suspect this is what occurred. When you take it back, have them check all of the intercooler connections for tightness.

2) the second thing that came to mind is if they performed the PCM reflash while your car was in the shop. If so, the boost meter will not indicate the same as it did before. While the factory assured us that the reflash would help the performance of our cars, it most obviously detuned them. When you take it back to have them check the intercooler connections, ask if they did the Powertrain Control Module reflash. If you don't hear any hissing when on the throttle, I would suspect this as the culprit.

Robert Nixon
01-28-2013, 04:20 PM
The reflash thing crossed my mind too, but I think it's a 2013 (like mine) that didn't need it?

01-28-2013, 04:53 PM
Reflash is ONLY for certain 2012s not for any 2013s

Deefourtay
01-28-2013, 04:55 PM
I sure hope they didn't reflash, but I didn't see anything on the Repair Order stating it. I do hear a slight air noise when I Engage & Disengage the gas pedal so I believe that might be it.. Going to my Studio in the morning to tell them my concerns. Thanks Guys

Thomas
01-28-2013, 07:12 PM
My reflash most definitely did not de-tune mine. I had a noticeable responsiveness and power improvement especially in non sport mode, but also in sport mode.

I would suspect two possibilities.

1) when they removed the bumper for painting, they may have disconnected the intercooler piping and pulled the bumper off with the intercoolers still attached to the bumper. If so, I would suspect that one or more of the connections on the intercooler inlet and outlet were not tightened properly when reinstalled. You didn't mention if you heard any hissing noise when boosting. If you hear hissing noise when on the throttle, I would suspect this is what occurred. When you take it back, have them check all of the intercooler connections for tightness.

2) the second thing that came to mind is if they performed the PCM reflash while your car was in the shop. If so, the boost meter will not indicate the same as it did before. While the factory assured us that the reflash would help the performance of our cars, it most obviously detuned them. When you take it back to have them check the intercooler connections, ask if they did the Powertrain Control Module reflash. If you don't hear any hissing when on the throttle, I would suspect this as the culprit.

Dwaynek
01-28-2013, 07:43 PM
The re flash did de tune mine hopefully they didn't do it to yours!

01-28-2013, 11:45 PM
And people ask why I wont get mine reflashed.... Pffftt

Shagnwrx
01-29-2013, 11:36 AM
Another possibility is that they disconnected the batter during the servicing of your car. This would wipe out all of the learned behavior that the computer does over the time you've had the car. I say just drive it like you stole it over the next number of days to see if it relearns your driving habits.

Plainsman
01-29-2013, 12:54 PM
And people ask why I wont get mine reflashed.... Pffftt

Had I not gotten a MIL (engine light) while cruising down the highway at 75 mph back when the odometer was at 1,000 miles, I would not have gotten the reflash either. You did the right thing by not having it done.

FiatCares
01-29-2013, 04:00 PM
I sure hope they didn't reflash, but I didn't see anything on the Repair Order stating it. I do hear a slight air noise when I Engage & Disengage the gas pedal so I believe that might be it.. Going to my Studio in the morning to tell them my concerns. Thanks Guys

Let me know what they say and if you need any further assistance.

Deefourtay
01-29-2013, 04:38 PM
I brought my car in this morning and let the Service Director test my car with me, he said it definitely feels weird and I confirmed to him that the Boost Guage bounces around and doesn't reach 18 psi.. Then one of the Mechanics in the back test drove it and told me it drives perfect & he said if it was a boost leak then it would throw an engine code.. I didn't buy it, so he said he will charge for labor to tighten the hoses (BS) :cussing:

I talked to the Manager, and he said what I can do is test drive a Brand New Abarth & see it has the same issue or not.

Deefourtay
01-29-2013, 04:59 PM
let me know what they say and if you need any further assistance.

pm sent

Deefourtay
01-31-2013, 03:46 AM
*Update* I put fresh Shell gas in my car yesterday evening and the car runs a lot better today.. It's building boost strong, the exhaust sounds normal again, and it runs Great! It's possible that the last tank of gas was bad and/or the Ecu fully relearned the driving habits again.

jguerdat
01-31-2013, 09:00 AM
Any chance the previous tank was regular rather than premium? That could account for lower performance, also.

A related note - when we bought our Volvo C30, the dealer suggested that using a mid-grade gas would cost less than using premium. My son has a 2005 Volvo V40 and was making regular 3 hour trips so I asked him to try it out. He reported a 5 (!) mpg loss. Filling the tank costs less for one time but the loss of even 2 mpg makes premium a better choice long-term. Lower mpg equates to less power...

Robert Nixon
01-31-2013, 10:37 AM
Well hopefully it was just bad gas!

Maybe we all have different experiences---As far as premium/regular goes, I notice no difference in my Abarth as far as mileage goes.

trevc
01-31-2013, 10:44 AM
Glad to hear it's resolved itself!

*Update* I put fresh Shell gas in my car yesterday evening and the car runs a lot better today.. It's building boost strong, the exhaust sounds normal again, and it runs Great! It's possible that the last tank of gas was bad and/or the Ecu fully relearned the driving habits again.

Deefourtay
01-31-2013, 01:41 PM
My biggest mistake might have been pumping 91 octane @ Arco.. Now I won't pump anything less then Chevron or Shell.

-Ryan

redred
01-31-2013, 02:06 PM
Oh Arco..... the gas company that proves again and again that not all gas is created equal ;)

Deefourtay
01-31-2013, 02:23 PM
Yeah it's weird because some cars I've had actually ran better on Arco, but it's a different story for the Abarth I guess.. Or may be I was unlucky on had a bad batch of gas from them! I just pump the higher tier gas stations now just to prevent any future issues.

Oh Arco..... the gas company that proves again and again that not all gas is created equal ;)

n00dle
01-31-2013, 08:57 PM
I try to stick with those listed as http://www.toptiergas.com/