PDA

View Full Version : let's talk about displacement

squeeze
01-22-2013, 05:36 PM
As the old saying goes: "there is no replacement for displacement."

will we eventually see some bigger cranks/pistons for these motors?? I would love to see this car sporting a 1.6L-1.8L motor...my old jetta 1.8 (1991) had gobs of torque and it got similar mileage to the Abarth, at least around town. Highway mileage wasn't as good as the abarth though.

And no, I'm not saying we ditch the turbo, just more displacement with the turbo!

:D

01-22-2013, 06:14 PM
Dont think youd fit a bigger engine in there... Im hoping for the Punto Abarth! Its not ALL about displacement, power to weight is proof - my Abarth is much faster than my 4.0 V6 van!!!

Jjm4life
01-22-2013, 06:44 PM
All depends on what the block cn handle. Id imagine Monday down the road, a strokes kit ill exists. That being said, you'd pick up tq, not hp. Id rather see an upgraded valvetrain. Would like to have a higher redline, and a turbo to match.

deathshead
01-22-2013, 10:04 PM
Dont think youd fit a bigger engine in there... Im hoping for the Punto Abarth! Its not ALL about displacement, power to weight is proof - my Abarth is much faster than my 4.0 V6 van!!!

You already have a Punto Abarth!,

The 1.4 Multiair turbo that comes in the US Abarth comes from the Abaarth Punto Evo. :)

In Europe they are doing some stroker motors, etc. How much power are you looking for well OVER 350hp?
You would be surprized how much 1.4l will put out.

FTY
01-23-2013, 02:29 AM
Id like a turbo that hits like a freight train with a small light weight/motor car. I think 300whp will be plenty. The 190-200whp that many cars have now keeps it entertaining. There are a few secrets this motor is hiding even with all the stock hardware.

ChrisGT
01-23-2013, 05:45 AM
The maximum displacement that can be achieved with a bit larger rods and pistons is 1500cc. It's impossible to go further because the gap between bores becomes very thin.

01-23-2013, 08:18 AM
You already have a Punto Abarth!,

The 1.4 Multiair turbo that comes in the US Abarth comes from the Abaarth Punto Evo. :)

In Europe they are doing some stroker motors, etc. How much power are you looking for well OVER 350hp?
You would be surprized how much 1.4l will put out.

I got to drive a Punto SS last fall in England and even in its "stock" form it felt much quicker than a 500. The best bit was how much better it handled - id swap my 500 for one in a heartbeat but certainly it wont hit our shores :(

MAZ
01-23-2013, 09:35 AM
'No replacement for displacement' is something our fathers said that was true at one time in history.

Doesn't the stock block feature forged internals already?
That being true, the multiair would more benefit from a turbo kit or at least a basic tune to begin with, lol.
I'd surely can't wait to see guys obtaining power levels that would necessitate rods and pistons, but we first need the the means of making that type of power :frown:...

deathshead
01-23-2013, 09:49 AM
It all comes back to a real tune. all these piggy back boxes are a bandaid, and are known for terrible afr's. they lean the car out bad. a real tune will wake these cars up bigtime.

downpipe,
tune,
intercooler & plumbling.
200hp range.

add bigger turbo-injectors.
300+hp

squeeze
01-23-2013, 11:52 AM
Ok, there's been some interesting input, cool!

From where I'm standing: more displacement = more tq (thanks Jjm4life) = more usable "powah" in a daily driving situation (sub 5.5K revs). I daily my Abarth, so 90% of the time I'm at or below 3K revs, so again, I'm still thinking a little more rotational oomph.

On a turbo-tech-level, I agree - more power can be made with more boost, BUT, it's not 100% practical power.

While these little motors are impressive for what they are, I'm of the mind there's room for improvement.

FTY
01-23-2013, 12:25 PM
Ok, there's been some interesting input, cool!

From where I'm standing: more displacement = more tq (thanks Jjm4life) = more usable "powah" in a daily driving situation (sub 5.5K revs). I daily my Abarth, so 90% of the time I'm at or below 3K revs, so again, I'm still thinking a little more rotational oomph.

On a turbo-tech-level, I agree - more power can be made with more boost, BUT, it's not 100% practical power.

While these little motors are impressive for what they are, I'm of the mind there's room for improvement.

I daily drive mine also... over 19k in 6 months...I am constantly over 3-4k. Put your foot in it a bit more, I also commute during off-peak hrs so that helps a bit with wide open pieces of real-estate waiting to be swallowed up. There are a few pieces I have been Beta testing...they should be avail. soon and really help with power delivery. Its possible to make the big boys with thier large displacement motors a little more humble.

Jjm4life
01-23-2013, 12:27 PM
There's plenty of usable power to be made with a new turbo. small turbos make good tq numbers and boost faster. But new housings, twin scroll ect make up for that.

Can this motor only be bored out .1l? I just want an abarth that can hit 8k rpm. i dont think thats out of the question for such a tiny motor haha. My lotus both safely revved out to high 8s with a little engine work (1.8l) and 8k in my evo (2.0)

Abarth has the same rev limit as my 3l noble.

ChrisGT
01-23-2013, 04:28 PM
Propably multiair is the "problem" for not high revving.. This motor with the simple twin cam head have achieved many times 8K and more in many projects here in Europe!

Mr. Man
01-24-2013, 12:08 AM
If you want more displacement just swap the engine thats basically seen every engine bay ever made: the chevy small block.

jguerdat
01-24-2013, 09:18 AM
I think that would have the car sitting on it's nose at rest... ;)

trevc
01-24-2013, 10:05 AM
Put it in the back :chuncky:

I think that would have the car sitting on it's nose at rest... ;)

squeeze
01-24-2013, 12:38 PM
Put it in the back :chuncky:

I'm down with a little "junk in the trunk" approach!!!

Awesome!

sillylol

Mr. Man
01-24-2013, 02:11 PM
then add a supercharger or some twin turbos, and you will have the most ridiculous vehicle on the planet, next to that monster smart fortwo with the lift and the huge tires SpinningSmiley

MAZ
01-24-2013, 05:27 PM
If you want more displacement just swap the engine thats basically seen every engine bay ever made: the chevy small block.
If I were in charge, every car would have an Audi 5cyl 20v turbo.

Mr. Man
01-24-2013, 10:17 PM
My personal engine of choice would be a v12 made from 2 2jz-gte engines, although I'm pretty sure it would NOT fit in the back without sticking out a la classic Abarth

William M Jacocks Jr
01-24-2013, 11:25 PM
Somebody (Berliner, I think) posted a video of 3 different classic 500s, one had the Lamborghini V12 installed, insane!