PDA

View Full Version : Transmission issue

Drazyw
01-18-2013, 04:44 PM
Welp, the car is heading into the shop on Monday to get a problem looked at. There is a tapping noise coming from the front left of the engine bay at idle. If I push the clutch in, it goes away. You can hear it when you accelerate and it gets louder and faster. Sounds like an input shaft bearing problem. We'll see what they say about it.

trevc
01-18-2013, 04:47 PM
I hope they get you fixed up quickly!

Drazyw
02-20-2013, 11:01 AM
Update. Took it to my dealer, They said nothing was wrong. Lazy techs. Took it to another dealer, owned by the same company just another location, and they heard the problem. Said they think it's a throwout bearing so they ordered a clutch kit. After an unacceptable 10 days in the shop, parts arrived in 2 days, they got everything back together and unsurprisingly they still hear the noise. So, they have to tear it all back down and find the issue. I told them it was an input shaft bearing but they want to do their own thing. bad throwout bearings will make noise with the clutch engaged and go away with it disengaged. Mine is opposite and points to input shaft bearing. Could still be something else i guess but damn I'm not happy with the length of time to resolve this issue. On day 11 today.

Fiat500USA
02-20-2013, 03:50 PM
Sorry to hear, that's a drag. Don't understand why the tech thought it was the throwout bearing, like you said it is, throwout bearings don't normally do that. That sounds like a lot of inexperience. Maybe you should contact FiatCares and have him look into your car. Good luck!

BigDaddySRT
02-21-2013, 08:28 AM
Update. Took it to my dealer, They said nothing was wrong. Lazy techs. Took it to another dealer, owned by the same company just another location, and they heard the problem. Said they think it's a throwout bearing so they ordered a clutch kit. After an unacceptable 10 days in the shop, parts arrived in 2 days, they got everything back together and unsurprisingly they still hear the noise. So, they have to tear it all back down and find the issue. I told them it was an input shaft bearing but they want to do their own thing. bad throwout bearings will make noise with the clutch engaged and go away with it disengaged. Mine is opposite and points to input shaft bearing. Could still be something else i guess but damn I'm not happy with the length of time to resolve this issue. On day 11 today.

You honestly expected them to trust your diagnosis and put a brand new transmission in your car?

02-21-2013, 08:50 AM
You honestly expected them to trust your diagnosis and put a brand new transmission in your car?

He just wanted them to look at what he thought was the problem! Very reasonable as informed owners will know their car.

Drazyw
02-21-2013, 11:16 AM

Welp, just got word lastnight. Fiat corp. has instructed them to put in a new transmission. hehehe

Robert Nixon
02-21-2013, 11:27 AM
Hey, imagine that, just what you thought it was! Any idea if they have transmissions in stock?

msjulie33
02-21-2013, 11:28 AM
Welp, just got word lastnight. Fiat corp. has instructed them to put in a new transmission. hehehe

Good for you! If you have car payments, ask they cover the time your car was out of service - I actually got Audi to do that for me and it seems pretty darn reasonable to me!

trevc
02-21-2013, 12:18 PM
That's good news. Hopefully it won't take too long and they will do a good job.

Drazyw
02-21-2013, 01:33 PM
Yeah, the service manager said they have one local in a warehouse so it shouldn't take too long to get it in and installed. They haven't said exactly what it is so I don't know for sure. Could be something they found that they would rather not say. When they call me to tell me it's done I'll ask some more pointed questions.

Drazyw
03-04-2013, 03:53 PM
Welp. Got my car back. Brand new Transmission. All seems well now. I sooo missed it. :) So glad to have it back.

EugeneS
03-04-2013, 04:45 PM
Welp. Got my car back. Brand new Transmission. All seems well now. I sooo missed it. :) So glad to have it back.

Great news! Glad everything worked out well for you! I'd die without my car for so long...

trevc
03-04-2013, 05:06 PM
Sweet!

djhace
03-20-2013, 12:54 PM
that's great.