PDA

View Full Version : 4th gear issue

FIATABARTH2NV
01-18-2013, 11:36 AM
So Ive had my new abarth for about a week . Ive noticed when Im in 4th gear with my foot on the gas. When I let off the gas the shifter moves up a little and then if I press the gas down again it moves down a little . There is movement in 4th. Is this normal . All other gears are normal with no movment was wondering why it would do it only in 4th gear. Its kind of annoying when you have your hand on the shifter and its moving up and down even if its just a little .

Appreciate your guys input !

thanks !

b56.1m6
01-18-2013, 12:00 PM
The movement you are feeling is the engine-transmission assembly moving in it's flexible mounts. This is normal in any gear but more pronounced in higher gears due to the gear ratios. Next time you are backing up watch the shifter as you start moving it will move the opposite way from what you are describing. If you are riding around with your hand on the shifter don't this is a bad habit that will cause premature synchronizer wear and then you will really have an annoying problem, no gears or grinding between shifts.

FIATABARTH2NV
01-18-2013, 01:36 PM
I appreciate your help . Also I see you own a shop what performance mods do you suggest?

b56.1m6
01-18-2013, 08:54 PM
I work in a Police fleet repair shop. I am waiting for MM module and power pedal to be released by Mopar, that and I want to break my car in before I do any mods. Those seem to be the best mods power wise. There are a ton of mods out there, brakes, wheels tires and suspension as well as cosmetic but you have come to the right place for ideas.

Pinecone
01-19-2013, 08:06 AM
Why do you want them released from Mopar? They will still void the warranty. Mopar, over the years, have sold MANY/MOST performance parts that void warranties.

Power pedal does not increase power in any way. It just makes the throttle open (effectively) faster for the first part of the pedal motion.

b56.1m6
01-19-2013, 10:06 AM
Are you sure about that? I remember the Mopar performance PCMs for the Neon and PT turbo, they stated that they were for off road use were illegal but I don't remember them voiding your warranty. I am also hoping that by time they are released by Mopar or MM USA they have some of the bugs worked out. The power pedal gives an improved pedal reaction right? Better performance not necessarily more power true.

Pinecone
01-19-2013, 09:30 PM
Off road only will void your warranty for sure. :)

All it does is make the engine open the throttle faster (sort of on these cars, as they don't have a real throttle plate) faster for the first part of the pedal travel. I just push the pedal further. :) I prefer a more linear response. It makes it easier to modulate the throttle at the cornering limit.

b56.1m6
01-20-2013, 10:00 AM
I believe they said off road use to get around emissions restrictions only I am sure that Neons and PTs running the stage 1 PCMs and injectors were dirtier, they blow all kinds of black smoke and dump fuel. Is the pedal box that much better than the sport button? I find the pedal response on sport so much better than the standard eco setting. My car sounds, shifts and just plain drives better in sport.

Pinecone
01-20-2013, 10:04 AM
In an Abarth the sport button does more than just remap the throttle. It increases the torque be 20 pounds feet in the range where it is limited to 150 with the car in Normal. So yes, it will be more fun to drive, but also cut your gas mileage. :)

It also changes the steering, so it is a bit quicker.

The pedal box just remaps the throttle.

b56.1m6
01-22-2013, 02:16 PM
My steering feels heavier in sport mode and there is definately more power, I also find shifting and coming off a stop is smoother, no doubt due to the throttle mapping change. If lower mpg is the only sacrifice I am good with it, it is addicting the car is way more fun to drive. How different is the pedal box from standard sport mode? I want the MM module but I am up in the air about the remote and the pedal box.

djhace
01-22-2013, 08:58 PM
don't mean to go in an other direction but as its "mod" talk also, i though i would put in my 2 cents.

saw a video where they change a regular intake with a cold intake and it gain no HP at all. a totally waste of money.
also seen regular breaks stoping faster then performance.

not all upgrades are better. well. depends on what you want, i guess.

jguerdat
01-23-2013, 09:53 AM
My steering feels heavier in sport mode and there is definately more power, I also find shifting and coming off a stop is smoother, no doubt due to the throttle mapping change. If lower mpg is the only sacrifice I am good with it, it is addicting the car is way more fun to drive.

Lower MPG really shouldn't be an issue as long as you maintain the same time-to-speed with your right foot. In other words, drive the car the same way and you get the same mileage. It's still generating the same HP/torque, just at a different pedal position.

b56.1m6
01-23-2013, 10:23 AM
I agree. I was using the sport button but keeping the RPMs under 3500, came close to 4000 once but mostly 3000-3500 so I dont think MPG suffered too much. The car is just so much better to drive in sport mode besides that MPGs really aren't a big concern especially after driving a Challenger SRT8 and getting 15 MPG on a good day. I have another 55 miles to go to complete the break in so soon enought it will be seat of the pants shifting with occasional tach use just to see where the power is.