PDA

View Full Version : Passenger-side exhaust droop

MRabRth
01-14-2013, 11:48 AM
Whoops, should have posted over here....

Hi all,

Just picked up my Abarth this weekend and don't have to tell you the elation and joy that comes along with such an event. Fantastic...still feels surreal.

Anyhow, I noticed that the exhaust tips are uneven, the passenger side hangs a good inch or more lower than the driver side. I've noticed this on a number of Abarths over the course of my many studio visits.

Anyone else noticed this and have had experience with their studio fixing the problem? I noticed posts on one side of the exhaust protruding further than the other but nothing on height yet.

Otherwise, the car feels and looks well built, details very well done, paint quality high too. Impressive considering the price point.

I'm a details man so sure hoping the exhaust height is an easy fix (and sure hope it's not an indication there are other quality issues with the car).

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback!

cerebrix
01-14-2013, 12:16 PM
theres a clamp that connects the left side to the right. you can loosen that clamp, adjust the spacing, and then tighten the clamp back up.

they talk about it and show it here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPEhmEGb3Ac

b56.1m6
01-14-2013, 12:36 PM
The clamp on the drivers side is the only adjustment on the factory exhaust. It is a 15mm and there is only enough room around it to use a wrench. I suggest breaking it free with a box wrench then loosen it more with an open end. Have someone twist and lift the exhaust and hold it where you want it while you re tighten it. Not rocket science just a little tight getting at the clamp and a little difficult jacking or ramping the car, piece of cake with a shop lift.

b56.1m6
01-20-2013, 10:12 AM
I was able to cure the exhaust droop also. This required my jack one ramp and a block of wood. I put a ramp under the right wheel to lift the car for under car access. After trying to bend the exhaust hook on the passenger side I decided to try something a little more drastic. I jammed a deep socket between the hanger hook and the hanger bracket to keep the rubber from compressing. I then put my jack with the bock of wood under the pipe right on were the hanger hook is welded to the tailpipe. After lining it up I slowly jacked up the jack and this bent the hanger closer to the pipe thus moving up the whole tailpipe. I removed the socket and fine tuned my bend a little, went a little to far so I suggest going slower with the adjustment a little at a time.

Pinecone
01-21-2013, 08:57 AM
Only about 20 threads on this.

Does nobody ever search before asking? If you are asking if anyone else saw this, why not LOOK to see if they have?

b56.1m6
01-22-2013, 02:17 PM
True but I was just trying to help a brother out!

William M Jacocks Jr
01-22-2013, 02:22 PM
This one is different, it is about the "height" of the tips, not the protrusion difference behind the splitter.

Only about 20 threads on this.

Does nobody ever search before asking? If you are asking if anyone else saw this, why not LOOK to see if they have?

b56.1m6
01-22-2013, 03:55 PM
This one is different, it is about the "height" of the tips, not the protrusion difference behind the splitter.

Yes it is, and my car actually suffered from both. Now they are even and level!

Pinecone
01-23-2013, 11:41 AM
OK, there are only about 3 - 5 threads on the droop. :)

SnowyD
09-22-2015, 04:50 PM
[QUOTE=Pinecone;587930]Only about 20 threads on this.

Does nobody ever search before asking? If you are asking if anyone else saw this, why not LOOK to see if they have?[/QUOTE

I am searching for the protrusion issue and coming up with nothing! Either the search engine sucks here or the key words aren't on the posting title. Wanna give me a hand finding all these posts?