PDA

View Full Version : Advice, info needed

Peachdad
01-13-2013, 01:21 PM
My Abarth was delivered with scrapes on the forward plastic roof panel. The service manager says that the entire sunroof would need replaced to correct. We agree that that is not something we want to do, he I suppose due to expense but I worry about leaks and structural integrity. Does anyone know if this part is bonded to the body to provide stiffness, support? Can this plastic part be filled and painted? Should it be left alone? Bob. 4741

johniew398
01-13-2013, 01:33 PM
I would have them fix it one way or the other if it was mine.

I wouldn't imagine the dealer would worry about the expense because he would bill Fiat or the car carrier if they proved it was done in transit.

Peachdad
01-13-2013, 02:19 PM
True, maybe he is just concerned over the extent of the job. Thanks, Bob.

SeaDawg
01-13-2013, 03:55 PM
If I had paid that much money for a car and it was delivered that way, you would see Satan on Ice Skates before I'd accept it OR let it slide!

b56.1m6
01-13-2013, 03:56 PM
I would have them fix it one way or the other if it was mine.

I wouldn't imagine the dealer would worry about the expense because he would bill Fiat or the car carrier if they proved it was done in transit.
I agree with Johniew398. Did you put the damage in writing? I don't think I would have accepted the car like that but either way that is Fiat, the dealer or the transporters problem not yours. Someone is responsible and it isn't you so long as the damage was documented at delivery.

Peachdad
01-13-2013, 04:37 PM
Thanks folks. It's well documented and there isn't any question of responsibility. It isn't going to slide but I didn't expect the repair to be as involved as it's apparently going to be. I didn't want to leave it there until it could be corrected. I was hoping to get ideas on the best way to handle the repair.

01-13-2013, 06:54 PM
No brainer for me.... New roof! No worries about the structure at all.

White Abarth
01-13-2013, 07:01 PM
There was a post a while back from someone with hail damage on that same trim piece here (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?6124-Sunroof-removal). The repair required replacing the whole sunroof "cartridge" which apparently is glued into place during assembly.

I'd think a professional body shop could perform a good spot repair that would last the life of the car, but you're within your rights to have the piece replaced.

djhace
01-22-2013, 09:01 PM
No brainer for me.... New roof! No worries about the structure at all.

agree.

BigDaddySRT
01-23-2013, 09:32 AM
If I had paid that much money for a car and it was delivered that way, you would see Satan on Ice Skates before I'd accept it OR let it slide!

Toluca didn't let the car leave in that condition. The Shipper obviously damaged the car, and FIAT will fix your car and get the replacement cost out of the Shipping Company.

It was documented get it fixed. They'll give you a Loaner car since the Repair will take more than 24 Hours.

sjmst
01-23-2013, 01:33 PM
...I'd think a professional body shop could perform a good spot repair that would last the life of the car, but you're within your rights to have the piece replaced.

Agree with both. It may be repairable. A good buffing and polishing may do it.

bainbridgeny
01-23-2013, 03:49 PM
I'd walk into the dealership like this..

(replace Castle with Car)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAMIneGqmCY