PDA

View Full Version : Rattling Noise from Driver Side Window

Abarth Five O
01-07-2013, 05:56 PM
I have an annoying rattling noise coming from the driver side front window in a fully closed position while driving. It sounds like a metal piece or protrusion is hitting against the glass panel from normal road rumble. Any one experience this problem? I'm taking it in for service on Wed.

stevenvillatoro
01-07-2013, 07:01 PM
Sometimes those rattles come from the darndest places. My Abarth had an odd rattle every time I went to shift it. But then I realized it was just the stone in my ring that was loose in its setting, and it vibrated on my finger every time I went to use the shifter! Please post if you find your solution.

Rock Abarth
01-07-2013, 07:11 PM
I've noticed this too. I'm one who notices every little noise. I find if you very slightly loosen the window it will go away. It also seems to come and go from day to day. I also have a little rubbing noise up near my interior cab lights. Not sure exactly what it is.

FTY
01-07-2013, 08:13 PM
My driver side window slams when I put it up all the way. I have a minor clunk noise in the rear...I think its the rear seat delete.

stevenvillatoro
01-07-2013, 08:58 PM
Occasionally when I put my drivers window up, I get a sort-of cracking noise. It's intermittent, and only occasional, so I opted to leave the issue alone.

Abarth Five O
01-07-2013, 09:04 PM
Noises can be the toughest problems for service techs to fix. It conveniently goes away when you take your car in for service. The sound I am referring to is like a light tapping sound from metal on glass. I'll be sure to post the results after my appointment, although I'm a pessimist.:frown:

satellite
01-08-2013, 10:22 AM
If it helps I had some weather stripping replaced by the dealer for an issue like this. Might be a common problem. Mine was clunking very loud when I would roll the window up all the way, like it was catching on the surround before going back into the groove.

FiatCACares
01-08-2013, 10:23 AM
I have an annoying rattling noise coming from the driver side front window in a fully closed position while driving. It sounds like a metal piece or protrusion is hitting against the glass panel from normal road rumble. Any one experience this problem? I'm taking it in for service on Wed.

Abarth Five O,

I am happy to hear you are taking your Fiat back to the studio to be properly diagnosed. If you have additional inquiries or concerns after it is reviewed at the dealer feel free to PM myself or my U.S counterpart, Jonathan, FiatCares. You can also contact the Chrysler Customer Care Department at the numbers below.

Canada: 1-800-465-2001
U.S.: 1-800-992-1997

Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome!

Abarth Five O
01-08-2013, 12:25 PM
Abarth Five O,

I am happy to hear you are taking your Fiat back to the studio to be properly diagnosed. If you have additional inquiries or concerns after it is reviewed at the dealer feel free to PM myself or my U.S counterpart, Jonathan, FiatCares. You can also contact the Chrysler Customer Care Department at the numbers below.

Canada: 1-800-465-2001
U.S.: 1-800-992-1997

Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome!

Thank you for your inquiry and assistance. I will keep the forum posted on the outcome.

FiatCares
01-08-2013, 01:52 PM
My driver side window slams when I put it up all the way. I have a minor clunk noise in the rear...I think its the rear seat delete.

Has a studio had a chance to look at it for you?

Abarth Five O
01-08-2013, 07:26 PM
Has a studio had a chance to look at it for you?

Not yet, my appointment is tomorrow a.m.

bawight
01-08-2013, 07:56 PM
I'm having the same problem from both windows. If you press your hand against the glass both sides stop, however that's not the safest way to drive....

Abarth Five O
01-08-2013, 10:27 PM
It might be something with the weather stripping. When I pressed on the top window frame and moved the door back and forth, I could hear that slight creaking noise coming from the glass near the weather stripping. It is more frequent and noticeable while driving over a bumpy road. I'll mention that to the service tech tomorrow. I also heard there might be a TSB on this issue.

Abarth Five O
01-09-2013, 05:26 PM
The studio tech ordered a special and expensive Fiat silicone lube to lubricate the interior window weather stripping molding around the window frame which is where the creaking noise is coming from. Hopefully it does the trick.

satellite
01-11-2013, 06:03 PM
Is this the noise that some of you are getting?

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af249/satellitesrt/th_VIDEO0002.jpg (http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af249/satellitesrt/VIDEO0002.mp4)

bawight
01-11-2013, 09:17 PM
No it's an actual rattling noise with the window already closed. It sounds like trim pieces rattling.

dsmithpdx
01-14-2013, 12:27 PM
I've noticed a similar noise on occasion. It's definitely intermittent, so I'm sure it'll be hard for the studio to reproduce. I may mention it to them when I bring the car in today for Clearbra/paint sealant.

Thomas
01-14-2013, 11:29 PM
I posted the same sounding issue some time ago. You will see the post on the page via the link. At first I thought it might be one of the front speakers, but through process of elimination, it doesn't seem to be the case. I can usually narrow these kinds of gremlins down, but not thus far. Mine is drivers side for sure. http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?5416-Post-for-Minor-Issues/page18

skyx39
01-24-2014, 06:19 PM
I'm having the same issue with my driver side window. I'm getting lot of wind noise from it too, so I'm guessing it's the weather stripping. Only happens when the window is fully up. If I lower it a touch, the rattle goes away, but then there is even more wind noise.

*Just realized these posts were from last year, whoops.

stratofortress
01-25-2014, 10:19 PM
Reported this same issue a couple months ago here. Super annoying.

Is there a TSB reference number? How's the lube working?

ScorpionSkins.com
01-26-2014, 02:08 AM

I've lubricated mine with a very small helping of white lithium grease and there's been no noise for over two months. I might need to re-grease soon, but it's a minor nuisance at best.

Abarth Five O
01-26-2014, 02:00 PM

No TSB I'm aware of. The silicone lube works, you just have to reapply when the creaking noise comes back. I haven't had to in over 6 months.

ophidia31
01-26-2014, 02:23 PM
Same noise in my windows too. Like the window is sticking to the weather strip and just makes the creaking sound. lower the windows just a touch and put them back up and it goes away for a little. Ill have to try the lube solution.

shadyabarth
01-26-2014, 10:08 PM
I experience the opposite..when the windows are slighly lowered and going over bumps I can hear a rattle...Sounds almost like the regulators are loose..will pull the door panels soon to inspect..

Fiat500USA
01-27-2014, 12:14 AM
The TSB concerns side door glass that is inoperable, binds and/or moves slow. Read here:

TSB 23-029-13- Side Glass Inoperable (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?11254-TSB-23-029-13-Side-Glass-Inoperable)

NGEN
01-27-2014, 01:22 AM
We had the driver side window regulator on both of our Abarths and the passenger regulator when we had the Rosso Abarth due to a small piece of plastic breaking. This of course was whenever we rolled the window all the way down we would hear a clunk. Might be something to check as well.

phade
01-27-2014, 05:38 AM
I just noticed my 2013 Abarth developed a similar rattle from the driver window when going over particularly un-smooth roads. Anyone know where I can purchase this "white lithium grease" (like is it available at the local big box auto parts store, or will I need to order online?) and how to apply it?

skyx39
01-27-2014, 08:44 AM
I just noticed my 2013 Abarth developed a similar rattle from the driver window when going over particularly un-smooth roads. Anyone know where I can purchase this "white lithium grease" (like is it available at the local big box auto parts store, or will I need to order online?) and how to apply it?

You can get white lithium grease at most auto stores and any hardware store. It usually comes in a little tube with a screw cap.

jguerdat
01-27-2014, 09:02 AM
I've still got the can (1 lb.?) of white lithium grease from 30 years ago. A little dab'll do ya... (Brylcreem, for those who are old enough to remember)

msjulie33
01-27-2014, 10:22 AM
Local studio did this to my car and the windows are much quieter - where exactly was the location - in case I have to do it again sometime? Happily I guess, I didn't see any smear of grease anywhere so they were neat :)

lagallinavecchia
01-27-2014, 11:04 AM
Welcome to having a FIAT.

I've had rattling noises that were identifiable (change in the console) and some that were not. One I thought was the GPS, but I think it's actually something in the dash. I notice everything and since it is not a Bentley, I'm assuming there will be more I won't be able to identify.

To answer your Q, yes, I have heard some squeaks and rattles on driver's side door. Especially when it's very cold out (a lot lately).

skyx39
01-27-2014, 01:00 PM
Welcome to having a FIAT.

I've had rattling noises that were identifiable (change in the console) and some that were not. One I thought was the GPS, but I think it's actually something in the dash. I notice everything and since it is not a Bentley, I'm assuming there will be more I won't be able to identify.

To answer your Q, yes, I have heard some squeaks and rattles on driver's side door. Especially when it's very cold out (a lot lately).

Yeah, I own Subarus too, and they're known for rattling a lot. At least the FIAT rattle comes with a much cheaper price tag.

skyx39
01-28-2014, 09:20 AM
I've lubricated mine with a very small helping of white lithium grease and there's been no noise for over two months. I might need to re-grease soon, but it's a minor nuisance at best.

I tried this out and it worked. I put a nice coating of white lithiium grease over the whole door seal and window seal and the rattling went away. I rubbed it in a bit so it wouldn't gunk up.

ScorpionSkins.com
01-28-2014, 12:22 PM
I tried this out and it worked. I put a nice coating of white lithiium grease over the whole door seal and window seal and the rattling went away. I rubbed it in a bit so it wouldn't gunk up.

Glad it helped! Keep us updated on how long it lasts out. I've noticed it to be necessary every three-four months or so.

abarth808
06-05-2014, 02:29 AM
My window was rattling like crazy band I have only 1400 miles on it. I bought the special Shin Etsu grease from honda and it magically disappeared. Hopefully it stays that way. The honda grease was $20 for a huge tube. It'll last forever.

dparnas
11-15-2014, 06:44 PM
I'm a happy man today thanks to this thread. Had a 2013 Abarth hardtop that had this rattle, never figured it out. Now I have a 2013 Abarth Cabrio and went out to the garage after I read this, rubbed some lithium grease only on the upper portion of the door seal and that took care of it. I tried the window seal, but that wasn't it. It is the door seal. Strange thing is, with my Cabrio, it just started recently, after owning the car for 7 months. Not sure what brought it on, but it was the same as with my previous hardtop. If you adjusted the window just slightly you could get it to go away, but with the window all the way up, it rattled at low speeds. Something to do with the pressure of the door being closed and the window all the way up, on the door seal. But with it lubricated, no rattle, which is all I care about.

MRCAB
03-23-2015, 03:06 AM
Now I have a 2013 Abarth Cabrio and went out to the garage after I read this, rubbed some lithium grease only on the upper portion of the door seal and that took care of it. I tried the window seal, but that wasn't it. It is the door seal.
Hi,
Was wondering if you could describe exactly where and how you applied the grease. I was confused at first with the other posts and tried to rub some on the windows seal, which turned out to be a mistake and didn't seem to do anything. You're saying it's the door seal but I can't quite figure out where on the seal you're talking about. Should it be removed and rubbed on the inside?

Thanks,
The sound is driving me nuts.

Abarth Five O
03-23-2015, 12:37 PM
I applied Honda silicone lube inside the track of the window seal.

LilSilverBullet
02-04-2016, 09:16 AM
I too started having the noise coming out of the driver's side window frame area in less than a year/6000 miles. I used to have similar noise when I had E46 BMW and use BMW Gummipfledge silicone grease to get rid of that noise. BMW does not make Gummipfledge anymore and the 1Z Gummipfledge on Amazon is not the same stuff.

I tried lubricating the driver's side window track with white lithium grease spray but it didn't work in my case (I didn't try white lithium grease in tube form). After reading this thread I ordered a tube of Shin-Etsu grease from Amazon (about $19). Applied it to the window track using cotton buds wrapped in small piece of paper towel, rolled window up and down a few times, let it sit overnight. The noise is now totally gone even with this cold temperature application!
I will apply it again when it gets warmer. The grease should be absorbed into the plastic/rubber parts even better.

jedfran
08-23-2016, 12:05 PM
Hey everyone - I just fixed the issue that was causing the passenger door of my 2013 Abarth to rattle whenever the window was down (or when I hit bumps in the road).

And it was a simple fix - I removed the door panel (see YouTube video link) and tighten the window lift mount bolt (which was loose - it actually fell off when I was removing the panel). I tried uploading an image of the bolt...but I keep getting an error message.

I live 50 minutes from my FIAT dealership. That 15 minute fix saved me several days of headache.

Happy Abarthing!

http://youtu.be/GbE6Q4rp3LU

Southernroadrunner
08-23-2016, 12:13 PM
Hey everyone - I just fixed the issue that was causing the passenger door of my 2013 Abarth to rattle whenever the window was down (or when I hit bumps in the road).

And it was a simple fix - I removed the door panel (see YouTube video link) and tighten the bolt (which was loose - it actually fell off when I was removing the panel).

I live 50 minutes from my FIAT dealership. That 15 minute fix saved me several days of headache.

Happy Abarthing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbE6Q4rp3LU

Link to the you tube video was very helpful

Tweak
08-23-2016, 09:58 PM

And it was a simple fix - I removed the door panel (see YouTube video link) and tighten the window lift mount bolt (which was loose - it actually fell off when I was removing the panel). I tried uploading an image of the bolt...but I keep getting an error message.

Happy Abarthing!

http://youtu.be/GbE6Q4rp3LU

Nice contribution, copied to the DIY area of the forum for reference. :cool:

cgpiper
09-12-2016, 08:33 PM
That's a great video, and thanks for the link. A related question, though, is how to get on the other side of the baffle that protects the inside of the door without tearing it up?