PDA

View Full Version : 500T to Abarth Badge Conversion

500Turbo
01-05-2013, 05:46 PM
Hello everyone! Have had a thread going in another forum in regards to my conversion. Today I had my local studio swap all the badges off of my 500T and replace them with Abarth badging. This is just the beginning of quite a few things I am going to have done to the car. Figured I'd hop over here and share with everyone. I know some of you Abarth owners want to see that the 500T headlights would look like on an Abarth, so look no more. I will be posting more pics as I have more done to the car, but for now here is a before and after of the front end.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i184/Laurojtl/IMG_4667.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i184/Laurojtl/IMG_4694.jpg

Jjm4life
01-05-2013, 05:51 PM
I was so jealous of your lights, i just ordered a full set for my abarth. i guess you're making your t look like an abarth, and I'm making my abarth look like a t haha.

Did you happen to see what the back looked like without the badge at all? Im assuming its held on by pins or screws? I'd love to ditch the badge altogether, but im gonna guess there would be body work to fill the holes where the badge attaches

500Turbo
01-05-2013, 05:58 PM
I was so jealous of your lights, i just ordered a full set for my abarth. i guess you're making your t look like an abarth, and I'm making my abarth look like a t haha.

Did you happen to see what the back looked like without the badge at all? Im assuming its held on by pins or screws? I'd love to ditch the badge altogether, but im gonna guess there would be body work to fill the holes where the badge attaches

One thing I noticed, the Abarth front badge feels very high quality and is made in Italy, while the Turbo one is very cheap and flimsy feeling and made in mexico.

The back of the Turbo badge:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i184/Laurojtl/PhotoJan0545339PM.jpg

Jjm4life
01-05-2013, 06:00 PM
I actually meant the rear badge, but judging from how the front is attached, ill assume there are holes in the bodywork.

500Turbo
01-05-2013, 06:04 PM
I actually meant the rear badge, but judging from how the front is attached, ill assume there are holes in the bodywork.

Sorry, yeah the rear badge fits in the exact same circular indent that all the 500's have. The Abarth one is just larger and hides it. There are 2 pegs on the back to align the badge and sticky tape. So if you want it flat you are dealing with a rounded indentation and 2 holes.

Jjm4life
01-05-2013, 06:06 PM
Sorry, yeah the rear badge fits in the exact same circular indent that all the 500's have. The Abarth one is just larger and hides it. There are 2 pegs on the back to align the badge and sticky tape. So if you want it flat you are dealing with a rounded indentation and 2 holes.

Lame. Thanks for the info though.

Berliner
01-06-2013, 03:07 AM
Looks supersharp!!!! if you don,t Mind me asking what was your Reason behind buying the 500 T over an Abarth? Keep them Pics coming.

redred
01-06-2013, 03:34 AM
Been following this over on the other forum and I think it looks great! Glad you are happy with the conversion!! Enjoy!

500Turbo
01-06-2013, 09:34 AM
Looks supersharp!!!! if you don,t Mind me asking what was your Reason behind buying the 500 T over an Abarth? Keep them Pics coming.

I chose the T over the Abarth because of financial and insurance reasons. The deal I got on my car was incredible. It's fully loaded with Beats, sunroof, climate control, heated seats etc. and I got it out the door at quite a bit less than MSRP. Plus, I fell in love with the blacked out look (black headlights on a black car). When I was in the studio I was looking at the Abarth and realized it was just a simple swap so I figured that would be the first thing I would do. Everyone at the studio loved the look yesterday when I was leaving including the sales manager haha.

RickG@eurocompulsion.net
01-06-2013, 09:55 AM
Looks great, Congrats! :)

Thanks for the Pics: https://www.facebook.com/Fiat500T

500Turbo
01-06-2013, 11:01 AM
Looks great, Congrats! :)

Thanks for the Pics: https://www.facebook.com/Fiat500T

Not a problem! Once I get all the caps swapped out and the windows tinted Ill post some pics of the whole car.

Corrnaus
01-06-2013, 11:02 AM
Hello everyone! Have had a thread going in another forum in regards to my conversion. Today I had my local studio swap all the badges off of my 500T and replace them with Abarth badging. This is just the beginning of quite a few things I am going to have done to the car. Figured I'd hop over here and share with everyone. I know some of you Abarth owners want to see that the 500T headlights would look like on an Abarth, so look no more. I will be posting more pics as I have more done to the car, but for now here is a before and after of the front end.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i184/Laurojtl/IMG_4667.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i184/Laurojtl/IMG_4694.jpg

Hopefully you will not experience the ABARTH emblem chipping the paint like a lot of us have experienced

500Turbo
01-06-2013, 11:40 AM
Hopefully you will not experience the ABARTH emblem chipping the paint like a lot of us have experienced

I did wonder about that but odds are that the OEM 500T badge would have done the same thing if it were to happen.

Musashi66
10-29-2015, 01:01 PM
Sorry to wake this thread from sleep, but do you still remember how much they charged to do this? I've read that you need to take the front bumper off, or that you can reach from top if you unscrew the top 4 screws, or that you can reach from the bottom...I have a set of Competizione badges on the way, and I'd rather not remove the bumper.

For the rear, I read that you can heat them and pry them off, or that you need to remove the inner lining and push them out.

Bodasifa
11-03-2017, 01:15 PM
bringing up this old thread again. I am doing the same swap. received my black, or should i say dark matt grey euro competizione emblems the other day. Tried to get access by just undoing the top 4 bolts but there is no way my hand will get in there. guess its time to remove bumper

KyleAllOneWord
11-03-2017, 01:31 PM
Removing the bumper isn't too tough, so that's probably the best way to do your swap.

Just my two cents; I drive a 500T and have zero scorpions. I think you should be proud of what you drive and not try to make it look like something it's not. Plus with all the other Abarth details like seats, boost gauge, leather ebrake handle, ect. You'll spend more faking it than what it would have cost for an Abarth.

ice445
11-03-2017, 01:54 PM
Removing the bumper isn't too tough, so that's probably the best way to do your swap.

Just my two cents; I drive a 500T and have zero scorpions. I think you should be proud of what you drive and not try to make it look like something it's not. Plus with all the other Abarth details like seats, boost gauge, leather ebrake handle, ect. You'll spend more faking it than what it would have cost for an Abarth.
I agree. A 500T is never going to be an Abarth and it's cheating to call it as such, lmao.

Bodasifa
11-03-2017, 01:57 PM
only swapping emblems because the T version looks like a crappy after thought that they just pasted on. I will be doing a custom badge overlay to cover the Abarth scorpions and name to make it unique to my car. will post pics when i come up with design

Ando
11-03-2017, 02:03 PM
I think you should be proud of what you drive and not try to make it look like something it's not.

I will politely disagree with one caveat, you need to have done some performance upgrades to your 500 before you re-badge it. My logic is this*; Abarth & Co. started life as a race team and later made parts available for the general public to turn their Fiats into weekend warrior race-cars. The basic strategy of "make a good car better and slap a scorpion on it" is still there.

You could even make the argument that souped up Sports and Turbos with Abarth badges are actually more in tune to the original spirit of Abarth than the factory offered Abarths. It's all a matter of perspective, but at the end of the day, if I want to slap some Dodge Demon badges on my front quarter panels because I think they look cool, that's my decision and probably has nothing to do with my pride in Fiat/Abarth.

*I am far from the most knowledgeable when it comes to the history of Abarth. I would be interested to know what some of our brand ambassadors think about this topic.

KyleAllOneWord
11-03-2017, 02:46 PM
Abarth has a Tributo Ferrari edition, I guess a rebadged 500T is just a Tributo Abarth! \_(ツ)_/

Bodasifa
11-03-2017, 02:50 PM
My T is tuned and highly modified. but as i said custom overlays will be added. just like the look and design of the one pc emblem vs - the 4 pc T emblem

Daniel_K
11-03-2017, 04:20 PM
I saw a t front mustache in person the other day, and it looks strange. If they had done the abarth mustache with a fiat logo plaque it would have looked much more cohesive. badge swapping has been around for a long time, its all about the appearance. not really about trying to make the car something its not IMHO.

Ando
11-03-2017, 05:19 PM
My T is tuned and highly modified. but as i said custom overlays will be added. just like the look and design of the one pc emblem vs - the 4 pc T emblem

Oh yeah, you were looking for the matching hatch handle. Did you ever find one? I do love that specific euro finish, looks like bead blasted aluminum.

Bodasifa
11-03-2017, 06:20 PM
haven't found an answer to a matching n/a version of the rear hatch handle. may have to try and color match and have professionally stripped and painted

ice445
11-04-2017, 12:36 AM
I will politely disagree with one caveat, you need to have done some performance upgrades to your 500 before you re-badge it. My logic is this*; Abarth & Co. started life as a race team and later made parts available for the general public to turn their Fiats into weekend warrior race-cars. The basic strategy of "make a good car better and slap a scorpion on it" is still there.

You could even make the argument that souped up Sports and Turbos with Abarth badges are actually more in tune to the original spirit of Abarth than the factory offered Abarths. It's all a matter of perspective, but at the end of the day, if I want to slap some Dodge Demon badges on my front quarter panels because I think they look cool, that's my decision and probably has nothing to do with my pride in Fiat/Abarth.

*I am far from the most knowledgeable when it comes to the history of Abarth. I would be interested to know what some of our brand ambassadors think about this topic.

I don't care what badges people put on their car, I just think it's silly and I always will. I think the 500T is a great option. You get access to the normal 500 Sport interior and color options which in itself is a huge advantage over the Abarth. Modding wise as well you have the same platform to work from, so you can make it as fast as you want to. But it's supposed to be a normal 500 with some balls. Subtle performance, not as much flash as the Abarth has.

Ando
11-04-2017, 01:56 AM
I don't care what badges people put on their car, I just think it's silly and I always will. I think the 500T is a great option. You get access to the normal 500 Sport interior and color options which in itself is a huge advantage over the Abarth. Modding wise as well you have the same platform to work from, so you can make it as fast as you want to. But it's supposed to be a normal 500 with some balls. Subtle performance, not as much flash as the Abarth has.

Hey now, Abarth color choices have come a long way! (half joking) I do appreciate that they are increasing color choices and not keeping them limited for a false sense of rarity (i.e. keeping only 3 active per model year). The powder blue and yellow are my two favorites.

In general I am anti-badge. Your car should speak for itself, if someone doesn't recognize why your car is special on sight, they probably don't care anyways. Personally I love seeing something cool on the road and spending some time at home researching exactly what it was. It's been mentioned before, but I think the 500 does a great job of this, no model badging unless you count the "500" on the hatch handle, just let the brand and styling speak for itself.

Agreed that the Turbo is a great choice, and so is the Sport, and the Pop, and... I guess... even the 500e... if you're into that sort of thing. Each variant is the best car for someone, this is one of the great things about the 500 lineup.

alex500a
11-05-2017, 09:47 PM
Funny I was hoping to swap my abarth badges for regular fiat badges. Never really got around to looking into it though.

Bodasifa
11-06-2017, 11:40 AM
finally did the swap this weekend, bit of a pain to remove bumper but all went well. . if anyone is looking for a 500T front emblem in white, i have posted in the classifieds section

wh400
01-02-2018, 05:59 PM
Hi.

Yes, bringing this back to life, sorry. I just got my 500C GQ Edition - which is an Abarth. I have replaced the rear Fiat emblem with an Abarth one, looks great. My question is, and I did review all of the comments and am not sure if I saw an answer, but do you have to replace the emblem and the 'mustache?' or can you replace just the emblem? I have not seen an emblem only option but it looks like you should be able to replace the emblem only.

This is what I see for sale.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/401466186650?ul_noapp=true

Any help is appreciated.

Bodasifa
01-02-2018, 06:29 PM
The front is replaced as one unit. The emblem and mustache is all one piece. that is the same person i purchased from. offer him a lower price and he will take it

01-02-2018, 08:44 PM
This is not hard to do if you know how to remove the fascia, and still not hard even if you've never done that before. I just did it to my turbo this weekend (see attached).

- julie

Bodasifa
02-21-2018, 05:46 PM
I purchased the black version emblems from ebay. they look great

KellyfromVA
03-19-2018, 02:12 PM
Call me a purist (or some on this site, much worse), but a 500 turbo isn't a 500 Abarth. If you wanted an Abarth, you should have bought an Abarth. Masquerading is a form of misrepresentation.

my67falcon
03-19-2018, 04:29 PM
I can't get to worked up if someone wants to have their 500 look like an Abarth. They aren't trying to pass off a base mustang as a Shelby or anything.

Bodasifa
03-19-2018, 04:30 PM
still coming up with a custom design for an overlay to rid the car of the scorpion and make it unique. gone through several designs and have yet to design one that i like

04-30-2018, 11:33 PM
Call me a purist (or some on this site, much worse), but a 500 turbo isn't a 500 Abarth. If you wanted an Abarth, you should have bought an Abarth. Masquerading is a form of misrepresentation.
The 500t is basically equivalent to the older euro-spec Abarth in the mechanical sense; the interior is still garbage but whatever. The US Abarth is closer to the euro-spec Abarth Esseesse.

The US cars have the same longblock, transmission, etc. The only real difference besides garnish is the half-shafts and the shocks, and the ECU tune. More importantly, though, is why take a $16,000 car so seriously? My Fauxbarth has the gigantic grille stencil, and the front and hatch badges. Im going to have OEM style Abarth stripes cut out of iridescent oil slick vinyl. It's ridiculous and that's the whole point y'know? To have fun while you're alive.