PDA

View Full Version : Scratched my rim!!!

vdog01
12-31-2012, 11:47 AM
:cussing:

I'm an idiot. While curbing my wheel this weekend I got a bit too close to the curb and ended up scratching my front left rim! It doesn't look like a bad scratch, though, but I'm still pissed off with myself. How difficult are they to repair?

Red Dwarf
12-31-2012, 12:14 PM
I did the same thing in my previous car. I had recently had the rims refinished and then I scratched the heck out of one. That sucks. Post a picture. maybe it can be buffed out? or is it deep?

Fiat500USA
12-31-2012, 12:17 PM
It happens, but don't worry. A rim repair place can make them look as good as new. I had mine done for $129 and they came to my work and did it in the parking lot. Got the idea from the UK TV show " Wheeler Dealers." There area couple of threads on curbing wheels here on the forum. Here is one:

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?7177-So-I-curbed-my-17-quot-Hyper-Blacks-Who-has-a-good-paint-finish-touch-up-color&highlight=wheel+repair

vdog01
12-31-2012, 12:42 PM
Thanks all for the comments and suggestions! I'll check out the rim repair places (turns out there's one just a few blocks from home!)

In the meantime, here's the damage....:cussing:

Wolfie
12-31-2012, 01:11 PM

That's beyond buffing it out ... rim repair is required.

vdog01
12-31-2012, 01:18 PM
crap!

oh well, i'll make an appointment with the rim repair place and see what happens.

i'm not going to think about it for now....i'm just going to go and drown my sorrows for new years eve tonight :smile::smile::smile:

sjmst
12-31-2012, 02:28 PM
crap!

oh well, i'll make an appointment with the rim repair place and see what happens.

i'm not going to think about it for now....i'm just going to go and drown my sorrows for new years eve tonight :smile::smile::smile:

Good news, as has been said, it can be repaired for less than 200 bucks. Also, happens to almost everyone, including me. I may get mine fixed professionally. In the meantime, I lightly sanded out with a Dremel. Then touched up with the correct color from "Paintscratch" Looks way better!

Mike S
12-31-2012, 04:20 PM
Pictures or we don't believe you.

Fiat500USA
12-31-2012, 04:59 PM
Mine looked the same. Shouldn't be a big deal. I got mine from making a left into a dark parking lot and couldn't back up because of fast moving traffic. Had to commit and listen to the rim get ripped up. I was pissed! The repair co. just came over to work and was done in no time.

vdog01
12-31-2012, 09:03 PM
Pictures or we don't believe you.

see post 4 (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?7990-Scratched-my-rim!!!&p=585597&viewfull=1#post585597) for the full horror!

vdog01
12-31-2012, 09:04 PM
Mine looked the same. Shouldn't be a big deal. I got mine from making a left into a dark parking lot and couldn't back up because of fast moving traffic. Had to commit and listen to the rim get ripped up. I was pissed! The repair co. just came over to work and was done in no time.

Yeah, I'm not going to let this ruin my enjoyment of the car though...

Maybe I'll just leave it....as a warwound....from a crap driver....yelrotflmao-vi

Rick Hunter
12-31-2012, 11:27 PM
Doesn't look too terribly bad. Just get touchup paint and seal it up with clearcoat.

Mike S
01-01-2013, 09:07 AM
see post 4 (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?7990-Scratched-my-rim!!!&p=585597&viewfull=1#post585597) for the full horror!

I meant the "after" pics.

jguerdat
01-01-2013, 09:58 AM
Haven't dinged the Abarth wheels yet but our C30 has seen me ding nearly every one somehow. I don't get how the tires for these two cars don't extend out enough to provide a bit of buffering - even tried going up a size on the C30 with no real help. I have never seen this on any other cars I've owned. It's like the wheel lips are extra thick so the built-in curb protection from the tires is defeated.

Or maybe I've just been lucky with other cars...

Dwaynek
01-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Chrysler does have the touch up paint for the wheel color. I listed the name on a previous post. Can get in Canada for 10 bucks.

trevc
01-01-2013, 10:53 AM
You sound like me - we let things like this eat away at us!
Try not to stress it - there are a lot worse things in life that could happen!
Enjoy the New Year.

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions! I'll check out the rim repair places (turns out there's one just a few blocks from home!)

div2
01-01-2013, 04:06 PM
Rimblades (http://www.rimblades.com/index.php) are popular in England; I'm thinking of trying a set on my wife's 3er.

trevc
01-01-2013, 04:23 PM
I bought some from Madness for my 16" abarth winter rims. Followed the instructions to the letter for installation.
First time I bolted them on and went for a drive one flew off and the others started to peel. Seems the abarth wheel finish is just too smooth for the tape to adhere to?

littlejohn
01-04-2013, 11:04 PM
Hate when that happens for sure...

cmj912
01-05-2013, 12:31 PM
I can't find anybody to do cosmetic rim repair in my area. Body shops don't seem to know what I am talking about or perhaps Rhode Islanders don't give a rat's what their wheels look like. The only place I've found so far wants the wheels OFF the car and sent to them. That's not going to work...

div2
01-05-2013, 01:23 PM
I knew that there was another wheel protector available and I finally found it: Alloygators (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/59627/alloygator-rim-protectors).
Here is a review (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/59627/alloygator-rim-protectors).
The downside is that-as far as I can tell-Alloygators are not available in the US...

sjmst
01-05-2013, 06:05 PM
Good news, as has been said, it can be repaired for less than 200 bucks. Also, happens to almost everyone, including me. I may get mine fixed professionally. In the meantime, I lightly sanded out with a Dremel. Then touched up with the correct color from "Paintscratch" Looks way better!

I didn't take a before pic, and the wheels here are dirty, but here is how my repair came out. Went from very grinded all around to hardly noticeable unless you really look.

http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll464/sjmst/abarthdirty4.jpg

vdog01
01-05-2013, 08:06 PM
Ok,

After a few days of obsessing about it (even though I said I wouldn't), I finally made an appointment to get the rim repaired. The quote was $230. At this point I decided to hell with it and made the appointment. Just out of sheer coincidence, about an hour after I made the appointment, I get a follow up call from my dealer (it's only been a month since I picked the car up, thus my obsession), asking how things were going. I mentioned what had happened and he said he could have it done at a much lower price than what I'd been quoted. So, last friday, I took Sebastian back to the dealer (an unsolicited plug for McKevitt Fiat in Berkeley!) who had it all repaired.

Here's a picture (it just rained today so that's why it's wet)

I am going to be parking 6 feet from the kerb in the future!:tears_of_joy:

jguerdat
01-06-2013, 08:47 AM
I can't find anybody to do cosmetic rim repair in my area. Body shops don't seem to know what I am talking about or perhaps Rhode Islanders don't give a rat's what their wheels look like. The only place I've found so far wants the wheels OFF the car and sent to them. That's not going to work...

A quick Google for "alloy wheel repair Rhode island" gave me this as the first hit:

http://www.awrswheelrepair.com/rhodeisland/

cmj912
01-06-2013, 12:01 PM
A quick Google for "alloy wheel repair Rhode island" gave me this as the first hit:

http://www.awrswheelrepair.com/rhodeisland/

Thanks! I've actually filled out their form and sent pics two different times and never received a response.

sjmst
01-06-2013, 02:43 PM
Nice. Did they paint the entire wheel or just the lip?

Fiat500USA
01-06-2013, 04:49 PM
Thanks! I've actually filled out their form and sent pics two different times and never received a response.

Try calling as I had a similar issue. I don't know how well their website referral system works. An alternative is to stop by a dealer and find out who does their alloy repair and then contact them directly. That also works for upholstery repair, too.

vdog01
01-06-2013, 05:34 PM
You know, I have absolutely no idea! I left the car with them in the morning and picked it up in the evening. I assume that they'd buffed it out and repainted it.

Nice. Did they paint the entire wheel or just the lip?

Bart
01-07-2013, 05:28 PM
We found a curb one day. It is a sickening sound, especially an old granite curb. But a body shop that I trust has a guy that comes in, does all his work from mobile unit. $100 per wheel and I couldn't tell that it ever happened.

Now I'm paranoid about it. I park well off the curb. Not a big deal in such a small car.

shabba
01-14-2013, 11:41 AM
I've scratched both of my front wheels and they are the exact same wheels as the OP. There is a place here in Richmond that comes to you, pulls the wheel and fixes it in the truck, damage and paint. They quoted me $89 per wheel but, 3 months later and several calls to them,they have yet to show up. I've tried other guys and none of them want to touch it because they are fearful they can't get the paint exactly matched.

vdog01
01-14-2013, 01:08 PM
that was the first guy that I contacted. they were concerned that they couldn't match the paint either. fortunately my dealer called (to follow up on my purchase) and was able to fix it. you might want to contact your dealer to see if they can recommend someone

I've scratched both of my front wheels and they are the exact same wheels as the OP. There is a place here in Richmond that comes to you, pulls the wheel and fixes it in the truck, damage and paint. They quoted me $89 per wheel but, 3 months later and several calls to them,they have yet to show up. I've tried other guys and none of them want to touch it because they are fearful they can't get the paint exactly matched.

cmj912
02-01-2013, 10:43 AM
Finally I got a reputable body shop responding via Craigslist. However, his "quote" to scuff up and re-clearcoat the wheels was actually more than it would cost just to buy two new wheels.
Oh, and when I sent him pics of the wheels (not the car, just the rim) his response was "nice Mustang rims".
HA HA HA...
Hmm, that ain't right.

Tweak
02-01-2013, 11:54 AM
Cleaning the Abarth a few days ago and I thought about this thread, I found a small white dot on one of my rims, turns out it is somehow a tiny chip about the size of the tip of an ink pen, it bothers me it is there but I don't think it'd be something that could be filled in so I guess it'll just be there bugging me forever now. How does that even happen being the side of the wheel that is moving forward at high speeds, not sideways.

cmj912
02-01-2013, 11:58 AM
I think I must be on ignore for a lot of people.

Tweak
02-01-2013, 12:17 PM
I think I must be on ignore for a lot of people.

Should you be...hehe. Mustang rims...sure he is reputable cause that is pretty far off on the rim call.

cerebrix
02-01-2013, 12:25 PM
id just plastidip em black and call it good

total cost, about 30 bucks

watch dipyourcar.com's videos on youtube for instructions.

all youll need is some tall kitchen trash bags, about 4 cans of dip, and some time and patience.

cmj912
02-04-2013, 03:33 PM
Should you be...hehe. Mustang rims...sure he is reputable cause that is pretty far off on the rim call.

They are highly rated with Yelp, etc., but I'm thinking that many people who are rating auto body shops are paying with insurance, hence...
I did think it was expensive.

But as stated below, Plastidip has always fascinated me and I WAS thinking black rims. Here's the thing - the car has 2,000 miles on it - lol -

Tweak
02-05-2013, 01:25 PM
They are highly rated with Yelp, etc., but I'm thinking that many people who are rating auto body shops are paying with insurance, hence...
I did think it was expensive.

But as stated below, Plastidip has always fascinated me and I WAS thinking black rims. Here's the thing - the car has 2,000 miles on it - lol -

PD them! :)

cmj912
02-06-2013, 12:20 PM
PD them! :)

I'm not terribly neat with paint products, lol. You should see my house.

PlastiDip comes in gloss black?

Tweak
02-08-2013, 01:57 AM
I'm not terribly neat with paint products, lol. You should see my house.

PlastiDip comes in gloss black?

Easy to paint with and yes and no, it does not come in gloss but it does have a glossifier, you paint with the black PD (usually 5-6 coats) and then hit it with glossifier for the nice glossy finish. :)

Andree
02-08-2013, 06:16 AM
I knew that there was another wheel protector available and I finally found it: Alloygators (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/59627/alloygator-rim-protectors).
Here is a review (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/59627/alloygator-rim-protectors).
The downside is that-as far as I can tell-Alloygators are not available in the US...

There's this kind too, in black, silver, or red: http://rimringz.com/

They are available in US, and many other places in the world.