PDA

View Full Version : LED Dome Light Bulbs

Racerflash
12-28-2012, 11:30 AM
As you know, the dome/reading lights in our cars are pretty weak. I started carrying a small LED flashlight in the glove box just to read things in the car at night. Well, I just solved the problem by installing a couple of LED cool white bulbs, from Flashtech. Each bulb has a whopping 12 LEDs and produces a much brighter and whiter light. No need for the flashlight any longer!

The install was super easy as the light housing just pops out by prying down on the front side (side with switches). Because the LED bulbs are so much wider, I had to bend the small metal heat shield down slightly by squeezing both in the center with pliers.

You also get adjustability as the LEDs are all on one side. So you can spin the bulb to have the LEDs facing down for more direct light, or up for more indirect light as it bounces off of the white top reflector.

Here are some comparison pics:

Cajun
12-28-2012, 12:15 PM
Nice! What do those cost, and where did you get them?
Also, any way you can identify the heat shields you had to bend in one of your photos?
Are you talking about the little strip between the mounted bulbs in the third pic?

FTY
12-28-2012, 12:43 PM
Throw me an email.

Racerflash
12-28-2012, 12:47 PM
Nice! What do those cost, and where did you get them?
Also, any way you can identify the heat shields you had to bend in one of your photos?
Are you talking about the little strip between the mounted bulbs in the third pic?

I got them as a gift from my son so don't know the cost, but they are available at www.flashtechUSA.com. Yes, under the bulb is a small metal curved heat shield that curved under the stock round bulb. You simply need to bend it down with pliers so the LED bulb will fit. You can bend both at the same time by just squeezing the middle between the two bulb spaces with the pliers. The bulbs are 37mm cool whites.

I'll post a pic of the back of the package as it has the model #.

Racerflash
12-28-2012, 02:12 PM
Here is a pic showing the model # of the bulbs. I believe these may also be available from EuroCompulsion, so try contacting Chris as well.

Cajun
12-28-2012, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the additional info!

an02wrx
01-04-2013, 12:22 PM
They might not be quite as bright, but there's a huge price difference in that and what appears to be very similar here; http://www.amazon.com/2pcs-9-SMD-Festoon-Light-Bulbs/dp/B006S8CLMS/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1357315448&sr=1-5&keywords=36mm+led+festoon+bulb

Racerflash
01-04-2013, 12:32 PM
They might not be quite as bright, but there's a huge price difference in that and what appears to be very similar here; http://www.amazon.com/2pcs-9-SMD-Festoon-Light-Bulbs/dp/B006S8CLMS/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1357315448&sr=1-5&keywords=36mm+led+festoon+bulb

Sure, there are always cheaper parts available out there. If I'm not mistaken, the FlashTech bulbs have a lifetime warranty, so only have to buy them once! I was told that the price on the website is listed as "MSRP", and they mainly sell through dealers that do sell the bulbs at a discounted price. Check with EuroComplusion as I believe they are or will be a dealer soon and can offer a discount price.

Good luck,
Flash

steven4264
01-04-2013, 10:31 PM
I just replaced my dome lights with these

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/festoon/3710-led-bulb-6-smd-led-festoon/661/

They're super bright and well worth the $$$

an02wrx
01-04-2013, 11:35 PM
I gambled on the Amazon specials, I'll report back with the results lol.

hotelie1970
01-06-2013, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the post! I see Flashtech also has a 31mm and 33mm LED; do you think they would fit in without having to bend the heat shield?

an02wrx
01-06-2013, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the post! I see Flashtech also has a 31mm and 33mm LED; do you think they would fit in without having to bend the heat shield?

The measurement is the length. Your best bet would be to use a caliper and measure inside the light fixture. I haven't taken mine apart, so I can't comment on that.

Racerflash
01-06-2013, 10:57 PM

I took the stock bulb out and it measures a true 37mm point to point. As stated above this is the length. It's the width of the flat LED surface that needed the shield to be bent. No worries as nothing is permanently damaged in the fixture by doing this. Plus, since the LEDs produce very little heat compared to the stock bulb, moving the shield is OK. You can probably find other LED 37mm bulbs with less LEDs that would be less width, but I just love the extra light these put out!

Corrnaus
01-07-2013, 11:18 AM
Am i missing something on the http://flashtechusa.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=70_133_127 website.. The only 37mm bulbs they got is the 9 LEDs, cant find the 37mm with 12 LEDs that Racerflash got

Racerflash
01-07-2013, 11:24 AM
Am i missing something on the http://flashtechusa.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=70_133_127 website.. The only 37mm bulbs they got is the 9 LEDs, cant find the 37mm with 12 LEDs that Racerflash got

I agree, the picture shows 9 LEDs but the bulbs they stock have the 12 like I got! You can call them to verify at (504) 355-2128 or email flashproducts@gmail.com.

You can reference the model # from the package pic I posted earlier. It has 37mm and the number "12" in the model #, which must be the number of LEDs.

Also, check with Chris at EuroCompulsion as he can quote a discounted price!

Leasdaddy
01-23-2013, 04:14 PM
Thank you, Racerflash, for this post! I replaced my bulbs some months ago with a pair of LED panels and although the light is much better, the dimming feature in the fixture allow a trickle of power to keep the panels very faintly lit. The company claims that they will not drain the battery, evidently true since I didn't notice the first night and the car started the next day, but simply switching the light off kills the trickle. Now if I want light I have to switch the dome on every time just because it feels wrong to have a light on permanently. I could place resistors in line, but that is something that is beyond my comfort zone just yet. Have you noticed if your new bulbs glow too? If not, then I may just try your solution.

an02wrx
01-23-2013, 04:40 PM
Thank you, Racerflash, for this post! I replaced my bulbs some months ago with a pair of LED panels and although the light is much better, the dimming feature in the fixture allow a trickle of power to keep the panels very faintly lit. The company claims that they will not drain the battery, evidently true since I didn't notice the first night and the car started the next day, but simply switching the light off kills the trickle. Now if I want light I have to switch the dome on every time just because it feels wrong to have a light on permanently. I could place resistors in line, but that is something that is beyond my comfort zone just yet. Have you noticed if your new bulbs glow too? If not, then I may just try your solution.

My Amazon cheap o LEDs do this. They don't have an inline resister apparently.

Racerflash
01-23-2013, 09:38 PM
I have not noticed an glow when they are off, but I'll have to double check in the dark. My garage has an motion sensor light that is always on when I walk in! I'll let y'all know.

- Flash

Racerflash
01-25-2013, 09:53 AM
Ok, I checked last night and my LEDs do seem to have a faint glow even when off. So faint I never noticed before. My car has set up for as long as a week while I was on a business trip with no battery problems, so must be a very low drain. The glow doesn't bother me, especially since I love the 10X brighter dome light difference the LEDs have made.

luckymoi
01-25-2013, 06:43 PM
On nights when there's a full moon...
I open the cabrio top and see a large, bright dome light!
Don't need an LED light bulb.

Rock Abarth
01-25-2013, 06:52 PM
Ok, I checked last night and my LEDs do seem to have a faint glow even when off. So faint I never noticed before. My car has set up for as long as a week while I was on a business trip with no battery problems, so must be a very low drain. The glow doesn't bother me, especially since I love the 10X brighter dome light difference the LEDs have made.
Wow, is it really that much brighter? Does anyone have comparison pictures?

Rock Abarth
01-25-2013, 07:00 PM
Wow, is it really that much brighter? Does anyone have comparison pictures?

Sorry, I got ahead of myself. Just saw the pics at the beginning of the thread.

MrFiat
01-25-2013, 07:35 PM
On nights when there's a full moon...
I open the cabrio top and see a large, bright dome light!
Don't need an LED light bulb.

I hear ya brother! Very cool ! :bowdown: But this is Syracuse and usually on nights when there is supposed to be a full moon, I open the moon roof and get treated to a cold shower !! The dome light comes in very handy if I happen to drop the soap! :playful:

DCAbarth
05-31-2013, 09:27 AM
I purchased the dome/trunk LEDs from 500 Madness (29.99. Installation was a breeze, but the dome LEDs they sell also have the "permaglow" when after the dimming. I'm guessing (hoping) the battery draw is less than what is used to keep the other car off electrics alive and well... biggrin

DCAbarth
05-31-2013, 05:17 PM
Update: When I went down to take my other half to an appt, I made it a point to check the dome LEDs before unlocking the car and there was no glow. Maybe the batter saver kicked in? Who knows, but at least I know it's not glowing all the time between drives.

Corrnaus
05-31-2013, 06:18 PM
I purchased the dome/trunk LEDs from 500 Madness (29.99. Installation was a breeze, but the dome LEDs they sell also have the "permaglow" when after the dimming. I'm guessing (hoping) the battery draw is less than what is used to keep the other car off electrics alive and well... biggrin

I have noticed that mine also have that glow after but I have not gone out after a long time to check.. I have had the car sit for 5 day and start up with no battery drain at all. The car has been sitting since last night, should go out at see if they are still faintly glowing. i got mine off ebay for considerable cheaper then 29.99. The trunk LED is also a very nice upgrade.. makes it so much brighter in the trunk.

DCAbarth
05-31-2013, 09:42 PM
I will say the trunk LED from Madness wasn't very bright, however I park in a condo garage that is always lit, so maybe it was hard to tell. But comparing it the factory bulb, I didn't notice a significant difference... except in the color temp of course.

I'll look for your post to see if your LEDs were faintly glowing after sitting for some time.

500ways
05-31-2013, 09:49 PM
I will say the trunk LED from Madness wasn't very bright, however I park in a condo garage that is always lit, so maybe it was hard to tell. But comparing it the factory bulb, I didn't notice a significant difference... except in the color temp of course.

I'll look for your post to see if your LEDs were faintly glowing after sitting for some time.

I have the LED kit just like you. No need to sweat the glow. The trickle of power that creates the glow has always been there. It just wasn't enough of a trickle to allow the former incandescent bulbs to glow. LEDs require a very small amount of juice to glow. Your battery won't drain, and as you noticed, if there is enough time allowed between drives, the glow eventually goes out. A great little upgrade for a few bucks and no worries.