PDA

View Full Version : Check engine

scorpion_king
12-22-2012, 12:32 AM
I was driving today and the check engine light came on and 2 mins later it started to rev up by itself. Car sounded like it had diarrhea! Pulled over turned off the car n back on agian, check engine was still on but the car was running ok. Went home took off the TMC box off put the battery back on check engine light went away. Took it to the dealer they checked it out no codes. Been driving for about 3 hours car feels normal runs like nothing happened.

Prima 109
12-22-2012, 05:47 AM
disconnecting the battery prob cleared the code.

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
12-22-2012, 09:45 AM
Next time go to Auto Zone or other parts store, they will usually check codes for free.

Dwaynek
12-22-2012, 10:02 AM
Scorpion king what do you have your tmc box set at?

scorpion_king
12-22-2012, 02:51 PM
Scorpion king what do you have your tmc box set at?

It's on 7. I've had the tune box on for 4 months with no issues

scorpion_king
12-22-2012, 03:02 PM
Next time go to Auto Zone or other parts store, they will usually check codes for free.

I have a check engine reader couple of codes came up, but I had to disconnect the tune before I took it in at the Glendale studio. Their really by the book so they would have probably voided my warranty if I kept the tune on. I usually take my car in to the van nuys studio about 10 miles way. The service advisor and the techs don't care what I have on the car

Pinecone
12-23-2012, 12:46 PM
Auto Zone might not be able to check newer cars due to having older readers.

But just did that with our Jeep Grand Cherokee and found a Cylinder 5 misfire. A new set of plugs solved the problem.

Jjm4life
12-23-2012, 01:01 PM
Auto Zone might not be able to check newer cars due to having older readers.

But just did that with our Jeep Grand Cherokee and found a Cylinder 5 misfire. A new set of plugs solved the problem.

I stopped off at an autozone recently as i forgot my code reader. Their readers work just fine.

Pinecone
12-25-2012, 09:05 AM
Thanks, good to know.

BigDaddySRT
01-03-2013, 08:51 AM
Disconnecting the Battery for 15 minutes will clear any Diagnostic Trouble Codes.

It will also show a System "Not Ready" for having the Battery Disconnected within the last 50 Key Cycles.

You need to drive the vehicle for a while allowing all the Algorithms/ Sensors to Run and Thermal Cycle.