PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Garage Door Opener

Racerflash
12-19-2012, 02:10 AM
My Garage door opener was sort of large and looked pretty ugly hanging on the small visor in my 500. So I got this idea from the other forum. I soldered a couple of wires to the internal switch of the remote and then connected them to a red push button that I installed on the dash panel next to the ESC button. Really cool idea and worked great! I cable tied the remote under the dash so it wouldn't bounce around and rattle.

cmj912
12-19-2012, 10:18 AM
Recently I saw someplace that you can design and order your own pushbuttons. If you are the tasteful sort, you could get one that says 'garage' in the style matching the ESC button. Just a thought.

If you are perhaps the less serious sort you could always order buttons reading 'oil slick', 'brandy', 'smoke screen', 'torpedos'...in the great tradition of my grandparents fondness for these sorts of things. :)

Robert Nixon
12-19-2012, 10:19 AM
That is very nice looking! How about a red toggle switch cover over it to make it look like you're launching missiles?

btimothy4
12-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Here's where I did mine - I was the one who was on the other forum.. I do it with all my cars, even my motorcycle
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg124/btimothy4/image.jpeg

Racerflash
12-20-2012, 09:55 AM
Recently I saw someplace that you can design and order your own pushbuttons. If you are the tasteful sort, you could get one that says 'garage' in the style matching the ESC button. Just a thought.

If you are perhaps the less serious sort you could always order buttons reading 'oil slick', 'brandy', 'smoke screen', 'torpedos'...in the great tradition of my grandparents fondness for these sorts of things. :)

Great idea! But, being blank I can make up a different use each time someone asks what it's for . . . Ejector seat, front machine guns, spinning scorpion blades coming out of the wheel center hubs! :biggrin

EliRider
12-20-2012, 12:42 PM
Great ideas! 007 would give a thumbs up. :encouragement:

Pinecone
12-20-2012, 12:53 PM
In the old days, garage door openers were not common and all were remote mounted, as they required hard wiring for the power (tube radios).

One house, we rented had one, and my Dad mounted the button low on the dash, where he could actually hit it with his knee.

When relatives with children would come to visit, he would do some hand gestures while saying Open Sesame, and the door would open. Really got them.