PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Abarth side skirt separation?

Pages : [1] 2

fiat5004fun
12-17-2012, 02:00 PM
Curious if anyone has encountered the side skirt separation problem on their 2013 Abarth?

I've read it has been an issue for a number of folks with the 2012's. About to commit on a Abarth.. and hoping Fiat has perhaps resolved it for the 2013's.

FTY
12-17-2012, 02:33 PM
It was supposedly due to the strap down procedures on the train, FIAT said they corrected the matter, shouldn't be an issue on 2013s.

Wopstar
12-17-2012, 03:06 PM
My front left corner is coming apart

Welchlin
12-19-2012, 12:45 AM
I purchased a 2013 on friday and one of my skirts are already peeling. Looks like Fiat haven't fixed the problem yet. Going to take it to the dealership later this week to get it repaired. I'll update you guys after the visit.

do33grs
12-19-2012, 12:50 AM
Both of my side skirts have come loose in the front. Studio in Columbus GA took photos today while replacing coolant reservoir & hose. Service Mgr. said it is moisture related & thought we'd end up replacing the skirts.

jflexe99
12-19-2012, 01:01 PM
My 12 Abarth has it on the front right skirt. It only went so far, and stopped. Studio knows about the problem, just have to go there soon and get it fixed ha.

tonygoicochea
12-19-2012, 08:57 PM
fiat5004fun ... the side skirt issue was a problem also on early 2012 Sports. I talked to a Corporate tech way back then and said it was a "load lift issue" wouldn't be surprised if that's the case on the Abarth's. I do not see them occur though nearly as much as they did on the 12's.

fiat5004fun
12-19-2012, 09:30 PM
Thanks tony... but not sure - what's a "load lift issue"?

compns8
12-20-2012, 08:43 AM
I have it on my 2013, dealer was going to fix it for me last friday but I was way too hungover to get into them at 7 in the morning, so I called and cancelled. Its really not that big of a deal for me. I will get around to it at some point.

fiat5004fun
12-20-2012, 09:44 AM
:( bummed to hear it's still happening on the 2013's. Was hoping Fiat had addressed root cause - given the numbers of 2012's affected.

Tweak
12-20-2012, 11:27 PM
I have it on my 2013, dealer was going to fix it for me last friday but I was way too hungover to get into them at 7 in the morning, so I called and cancelled. Its really not that big of a deal for me. I will get around to it at some point.

Hang tight a little longer and Fay studio can handle it for you bud. ;) Talked to both Rico and Gary and they are shooting for Jan 1st to open the doors, funny thing is I left them to come home and I ran into Lily, the owner of the black/red Abarth we met a few weeks back. :) They tell me they also plan to try to start organizing a meet every Saturday at the studio, and the white Abarth they had sold last night, guy bought it for his wife for a Xmas gift. You're no longer the only one.

pastor passum
12-20-2012, 11:31 PM
Three fixes so far on my '12 Abarth. The first 2 times the studio tried to "fix" the existing skirts with awful results. The last time they replaced the skirts with new ones that they had to paint. Much better but still not right. I've got 3 1/2 years of warranty left and will take it back in when it's convenient. Continuously having to repair a problem that could so easily be rectified by designing it correctly can really eat in a company's profit margin. Plus, it doesn't do much for said company's reputation as a car builder.

FiatCares
12-21-2012, 03:11 PM
I purchased a 2013 on friday and one of my skirts are already peeling. Looks like Fiat haven't fixed the problem yet. Going to take it to the dealership later this week to get it repaired. I'll update you guys after the visit.

Any update on the side skirt? Did the studio realign it or reattach ??

Cajun
12-22-2012, 03:47 PM
Yesterday, I noticed the side-skirt separation on both sides of my new Abarth. I got the car a week ago, today, and only have 600 miles on it.
Left and right side skirts are separated from the body behind the front wheels.

Our local studio only opened 3 weeks ago, and the service department is not online and operating yet. The service department should be open Janary 1, according to the sales person I talked to yesterday.

So, my question is this:
How bad does this problem get if it's left alone for a little while?
I'm supposed to make a short road trip next week (500 miles round trip).
Any chance of those skirts just flying off while cruising along on the interstate?

Welchlin
01-10-2013, 12:39 AM
Any update on the side skirt? Did the studio realign it or reattach ??

Finally made my way into the dealership after getting a nail in the tire of my one month old car *sigh*. Anyway, wait was long (about an hour) to find out they didn't have the tire or the kit to repair the skirt in stock. I was given the number to another place to get the work done. I'll have to call them to set up an appointment!

ultramagnus
01-11-2013, 11:53 AM
I picked up my new Abarth in December and noticed it a little on delivery but kept my mouth shut as I knew the manager and didn't want to put him on the spot. But after reading all the posts about the issue, I am now really concerned.
My big concern is that the dealer will just blow me off with the issue and say there is no issue. It really sucks because I have it parked for the winter but every time I go to look at my car I notice the start of the peeling and I get annoyed that my new car already has a flaw that I did not do.

Wopstar
01-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Just take it in its an issue that they know of took my car in on tue and just waiting for the new skirt to come in they also ordered me a coolant bottle also an issue

FiatCares
01-14-2013, 12:56 PM
I picked up my new Abarth in December and noticed it a little on delivery but kept my mouth shut as I knew the manager and didn't want to put him on the spot. But after reading all the posts about the issue, I am now really concerned.
My big concern is that the dealer will just blow me off with the issue and say there is no issue. It really sucks because I have it parked for the winter but every time I go to look at my car I notice the start of the peeling and I get annoyed that my new car already has a flaw that I did not do.

You'll never know until you take it in to the studio. By now, it is a known issue and repair procedures are in place. I recommend having the studio address it for you. Per the terms of the warranty , the manufacture has an obligation to repair it to your satisfaction.

Andiamo
01-15-2013, 03:36 PM
The anterior sections of both side skirts on my 2012 Abarth peeled off after I had it only 2 months. The Chrysler dealership glued them back to the car and so far they have stayed on. I'm glad I found this forum. Seems as though the many bad issues I'm experiencing with this car are common among other owners.

01-15-2013, 04:08 PM
Anyone have photos of this issue?

FiatCares
01-15-2013, 04:46 PM
The anterior sections of both side skirts on my 2012 Abarth peeled off after I had it only 2 months. The Chrysler dealership glued them back to the car and so far they have stayed on. I'm glad I found this forum. Seems as though the many bad issues I'm experiencing with this car are common among other owners.

I know this has become an issue; Im glad the studio stepped up.. hopefully they used a more aggressive adhesive.

Adrianpercival
01-18-2013, 07:35 AM
mine it has been 4 times for the same problem and i seen is coming apart again

do33grs
01-22-2013, 08:20 PM
I finally received word that my new side skirts arrived and were painted, ready to install. We drove up to Fiat of Columbus GA Friday and our car was ready in 4 hours with the admonition not to wash it for a week or so. Only there was a 3/16" gap at the top of both skirts, this time in the rear, through which the top of the white foam tape is clearly visible. The service writer said he hadn't noticed, hadn't even inspected the work, so I asked him to photograph the issue. We went to the body shop that contracted this work and were was told that the skirts are malformed and cannot be made to fit correctly. Also that they cannot be removed non destructively... I have a call into Fiat, trying to figure out where to go from here. I'm upset that neither the body shop nor service writer inspected the work or gave me even a copy of the warranty service order.

A little more info... The body shop didn't even wash the car before installing the new skirts. This is poor workmanship and I had to drive 90 miles one way to get there.

Mr. Man
01-29-2013, 09:51 PM
My car's side skirts began separating today after the dealer did an oil change and washed my car. It had totally slipped my mind that they gave complimentary car washes or else i wouldn't have let them

capobianco
02-13-2013, 10:38 PM
Went to the service department (it's at the Chrysler/Jeep dealer a few miles away from the Studio) because I noticed that one of the access panels in the front wheel well was missing (hope this is not a repeat of my 1972 Fiat 128). The service guy noticed that the skirt was separating on the driver's side (and intimated that I probably hit something to loosen it). Guess I'll make an appointment to get it fixed when the weather gets better.
My friends used to make fun of my Fiats and even joked that I should have ordered the optional net that drags behind the car to catch the parts that fall off!

Andiamo
03-25-2013, 08:01 PM
I just finished detailing Sophia in preparation for a road trip this week and NOOooooo! The skirts are separating AGAIN. Has anyone experienced a repeat problem with this issue, or does my dealership's body shop suck as much as their service under the hood?

pastor passum
03-25-2013, 11:43 PM
I just finished detailing Sophia in preparation for a road trip this week and NOOooooo! The skirts are separating AGAIN. Has anyone experienced a repeat problem with this issue, or does my dealership's body shop suck as much as their service under the hood?
Mine have been "fixed" either three or four times in 9 months. They were actually replaced with new ones the last time. They're separating again so....I showed them to the service manager last week. She said they had a notice from Fiat to hold off on any more repairs, that they are working on a new design that hopefully will work. I've got 3 years and 3 months to make someone's life miserable till they fix it RIGHT. I figure a couple more fixes and any profit Fiat may have made on the Abarth will be eaten up in warranty repairs on the side skirts alone.

Andiamo
03-26-2013, 12:49 AM
This is nuts, having to spend days off at the Dealership. I want my life back.

Mr. Man
03-26-2013, 09:21 AM
Yeah I wasn't impressed with the "repairs" done on my side skirts. They don't like they'll hold for long. The sad part is my side skirts were perfectly fine before they changed the oil. So I got sucked into this mess by the dealer. Anyone know what the Abarth looks like without side skirts? I may just ditch them completely

littlejohn
03-26-2013, 07:24 PM
Are the skirts on the Abarth the same that is on the 500T?

pastor passum
03-26-2013, 09:52 PM
Yeah I wasn't impressed with the "repairs" done on my side skirts. They don't like they'll hold for long. The sad part is my side skirts were perfectly fine before they changed the oil. So I got sucked into this mess by the dealer. Anyone know what the Abarth looks like without side skirts? I may just ditch them completely

Sounds crazy Mr Man but I think you may be onto something. When I first picked up my Abarth the left side skirt was slightly pulled away at the rear. They fixed it and all was well until I went in for my first oil change. When I got home I washed the car and noticed both side skirts were pulled away front and rear. At the next service they reset them again and then changed the oil. When I picked it up the next day they were pulled away worse than when I brought it in. I showed the service manager and she stated that they looked fine when she checked it. It was her assumption that they pulled loose sitting in the sun before I picked it up. Then they put new skirts on it which looked pretty good for a few months. Last month I had a nail in my left rear tire and went to Discount Tire and had it repaired. Of course they put the Abarth on the lift to repair the tire. Guess what. I got home, detailed the car and noticed both side skirts were again pulled loose. Each time when I noticed the skirts separating from the body it was just after the car had been on a lift, either at Fiat or the tire store. Just something to think about:Rolleyes:

Andiamo
03-27-2013, 02:27 AM
You've got something there, Pastor P. I recently had an oil change and tire rotation. This is the first time I detailed the car, so I probably wouldn't have noticed the separation before. Hmmmmm.

Mr. Man
03-27-2013, 10:04 AM
There's gotta be a way around this. If other cars did this as much as ours I'm sure no one would use side skirts anymore

OhioMade
04-09-2013, 10:20 PM
Oh crap! Not looking forward to that first oil change now, but at least I'll mention it before the baby gets put on the lift.

wilbmeister
04-09-2013, 10:45 PM
After reading this thread I mentioned it to the shop that changed my winter tires to summer tires. They used rubber spacers under the car on the lift so that the rubber spacers lifted the car in the right spots. No problem with the skirts after I was done.

jguerdat
04-10-2013, 08:12 AM
Same here for my attempted alignment. They use hockey pucks - cheap, strong and somewhat flexible.

mr_robs
04-12-2013, 02:05 PM
When i purchased my Abarth last week i made it clear in the contract language that they would repair or replace the side skirt. Incase something similar happens to what some of you are experiencing with sub par repair completions.

My raintray was also stained with a ring of what i think was water and pollen from sitting on the lot that way for a couple of days. Needless to say i hope they will be replacing this too as i brought it up the day after purchase.

Leotxn
04-22-2013, 08:27 PM
Noticed my Driver's side peeling away toward front wheel well last week and passenger side is doing same but not as bad. Fidgell I am posting pic of my drivers side which is the worst of the two. My service manager is going to address it when I get in for service next trip. Either they will be re-attached or replaced he told me they need to take photos and send to Fiat first.

pastor passum
04-22-2013, 11:54 PM
Noticed my Driver's side peeling away toward front wheel well last week and passenger side is doing same but not as bad. Fidgell I am posting pic of my drivers side which is the worst of the two. My service manager is going to address it when I get in for service next trip. Either they will be re-attached or replaced he told me they need to take photos and send to Fiat first.

I could take pics but really no use. Mine look exactly the same as yours except they're rosso, and they've been fixed 4 times. I'm presently waiting for the New Improved Fix
:boink:

nojeebs
04-23-2013, 11:36 AM
Damn this problem will not go away...when will the learn to make tabs for these skirts.....also it really is mainly due to improper placement when being put on a lift. I have cf sides so when I take it into the dealership they know for sure not to put any pressure on the side skirts. ;)

FiatCares
04-23-2013, 04:41 PM

Glad the studio is addressing it; let me know if I can be of any assistance in its resolution.

Seafarer61
04-23-2013, 05:40 PM
Each one of us should take a cell phone snapshot of those side skirts photographed and take it with us when we know our Abarths are going to be raised. I know I will. At the expense of being one of "those," I'd rather have this conversation BEFORE they lift it then afterwards. It's scary to know how many shops just treat every car like it's a '98 Civic DX and just clamp up on 'em without taking issues like side skirts into consideration.

mkawa
04-23-2013, 06:11 PM
can someone elucidate me on how these are attached? this sort of thing is usually just held on by double-sided tape.. given enough time and thermal cycling they're going to start separating regardless -- it is only cosmetic plastic..

Leotxn
04-25-2013, 08:14 AM
Thank you Jonathan. I am waiting to hear back from my studio at Fiat of Austin, I'm sure they will handle it, they have a great service team down there. Just want to also give a "shout out" to Fiat of McKinney Tx, stopped there while in Dallas last weekend to grab an air filter, they are really nice folks up there too! When I move up to Dallas next year I will be going to them for all my service needs. Great team up there.

BigT
04-25-2013, 09:36 AM
It's just like the dodge SRT-4 Neon. You had to use those tabs at the end of the lift that stand up or you had to place something at the end of the lift arms that would allow the lift arms to clear the skirts otherwise CRACK but in fiats case the skirts torque which causes the 2 sided tape to let loose to relieve the pressure. If you go watch the Road Race Abarth exhaust install video you will notice they have the tabs at the ends of the arms raised and place on the lift points so that the side skirts are at least a good 1.5 - 2" off the lift. My concern is when I get ready to change my own oil and use ramps could I possibly experience this same separation. Anyone had their car on ramps yet?

capobianco
05-14-2013, 07:32 AM
I've got a late 2012 model and didn't have any side skirt separation until I brought in in for a new tire. They put it up on a lift that lifts the car by the side sills and that's when the separation happened. If the early cars were transported with pressure under the bottom of the sills, this could be the reason for side sill separation.

BTW, I had the problem fixed under warranty. Dropped it off early Monday morning at the local Jeep/Chrysler dealership (cringe!) and didn't get it back until Saturday, 4pm! Don't know what took them so long.

BigT
05-14-2013, 07:48 AM
I've got a late 2012 model and didn't have any side skirt separation until I brought in in for a new tire. They put it up on a lift that lifts the car by the side sills and that's when the separation happened. If the early cars were transported with pressure under the bottom of the sills, this could be the reason for side sill separation.

BTW, I had the problem fixed under warranty. Dropped it off early Monday morning at the local Jeep/Chrysler dealership (cringe!) and didn't get it back until Saturday, 4pm! Don't know what took them so long. It's hard to pull that backing off the 2 sided tape and press that side skirt up against the car lol.

NGEN
05-23-2013, 10:08 AM
You could always just have the vehicle pulled on to a drive-on ramp to have it done. The studio should have one or two considering that's where the alignment machine would be. No pressure at all. As for tire rotations, they can us a floor jack and hike up one side at a time. Simple, no pressure on the side skirts.

nojeebs
05-23-2013, 11:58 AM
Starting to have minor separation on the driver side. Guess it was bound to happen being that it's just held on with 3m automotive tape. I'll probably have a body shop fix it since I have aftermarket add ons with the skirt. Meh, I'll complain to my dealership anyhow just to see. :-p Passenger side is looking solid though.

capobianco
05-27-2013, 08:23 AM
Update on the side skirt separation and repair: Had it done 2 weeks ago and it's separating again. I can see the black double-sided tape used to attach it.

The car has not been off the ground and no external pressure has be placed on them. Seems to be a weak point that most are, or will be, experiencing.

Will have it addressed again at the dealership (note I did not say studio. the service is done at an affiliated Chrysler/Jeep dealership).

wilbmeister
05-27-2013, 10:10 PM
I noticed this happening on my Abarth a few weeks ago. I had an appt for an oil change last week so I asked them to look at it. The service manager came out and said they ordered a new set and they should be in within a week to 10 days. The parts manager said they come already painted and he was thrilled about that. I was very happy with the guys at Northtown Fiat in Buffalo.

lagallinavecchia
05-28-2013, 08:04 AM
Mine's coming apart too... but i will try to fix myself. I just simply don't trust either of the delaers I've had service at yet.

NGEN
05-28-2013, 09:02 AM
Been waiting for about 3 weeks now for our Rosso Abarth. Hope they come in soon!

FiatCares
05-28-2013, 10:59 AM
I noticed this happening on my Abarth a few weeks ago. I had an appt for an oil change last week so I asked them to look at it. The service manager came out and said they ordered a new set and they should be in within a week to 10 days. The parts manager said they come already painted and he was thrilled about that. I was very happy with the guys at Northtown Fiat in Buffalo.

Thats great news.. lets us know how it turns out. :)

FiatCares
05-28-2013, 11:52 AM
Update on the side skirt separation and repair: Had it done 2 weeks ago and it's separating again. I can see the black double-sided tape used to attach it.

The car has not been off the ground and no external pressure has be placed on them. Seems to be a weak point that most are, or will be, experiencing.

Will have it addressed again at the dealership (note I did not say studio. the service is done at an affiliated Chrysler/Jeep dealership).

It doesnt seem to take much to create that separation. Could be as simple as a bumpy drive on bad roads. There has got to be a stronger adhesive than double sided tape. This is becoming frustrating. Something so simple...

lagallinavecchia
05-28-2013, 03:13 PM
Something so simple...
Exactly.

jflexe99
05-28-2013, 04:31 PM
Same here on my 12 Abarth. Right front is slightly off but stopped. Studio knows...just need to drive there soon to get her fixed. I am so lazy...

Tweak
05-28-2013, 09:40 PM
Add me to the list, 2013 Abarth and the passenger side front is just starting, also the bumper behind the Abarth emblem is peeling so I took it today and the dealer snapped a pic then called me a few hours later and said that FIAT has approved the repair and will call with an appt for the body shop for the bumper and skirt.

Shagnwrx
05-29-2013, 09:02 AM
Aaaand add me to the list. I didn't notice it until it was pointed out by one of the sales people at Fiat of Birmingham... She is taking care of it, though... They already had me come out to get pictures of the skirts and the vin and parts should be here in a month or so.

Thanks, Stephine!!!

Mr. Man
05-29-2013, 01:44 PM
It doesnt seem to take much to create that separation. Could be as simple as a bumpy drive on bad roads. There has got to be a stronger adhesive than double sided tape. This is becoming frustrating. Something so simple...

Why don't they use the stuff they use for the spoiler? Seems much tougher

DuckDodgers
05-29-2013, 09:58 PM
Stopped by the Studio today. They have got the replacement skirt already (drivers side), and the Abarth (onyx black, at least) skirts are now coming pre-painted.

FiatCares
05-30-2013, 10:35 AM
Add me to the list, 2013 Abarth and the passenger side front is just starting, also the bumper behind the Abarth emblem is peeling so I took it today and the dealer snapped a pic then called me a few hours later and said that FIAT has approved the repair and will call with an appt for the body shop for the bumper and skirt.

This issue is such a pain... I hope they come up with more that double sided tape to fix it. Let me know, Tweak..

Tweak
05-30-2013, 10:08 PM
This issue is such a pain... I hope they come up with more that double sided tape to fix it. Let me know, Tweak..

Updates will be posted and I also hope they have found a more permanent solution as well Jonathan. Thanks.

wilbmeister
05-31-2013, 11:14 PM
Thats great news.. lets us know how it turns out. :)

Will do. Hopefully it will be soon.

DuckDodgers
06-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Had my drivers side skirt replaced today...seems good. They got the skirt in the same day I took it in to get photographed, and then installed it in 45 minutes when I stopped by with an appointment!

Got to take the time to compliment my Studio. After having issues with the Sales side, the Service side has been wonderful. They are still getting up to speed, but have worked hard to do it right and done everything I've asked. Kudos to Melissa and the Service Team at Holt Fiat, Hurst TX!

rallyesports
06-25-2013, 12:16 AM
my 2013 driver front side skirt is also Separating , the car is only 9 days old

mr_robs
06-25-2013, 04:23 AM
had my drivers side replaced once because it was splitting in the rear. now its splitting at the front of the skirt near the drivers side wheel... frustrating to say the least. will be calling tomorrow, was hoping i wouldnt have to go back so soon after installing my coilovers and intake

ultramagnus
06-25-2013, 01:23 PM
I had mine done about two months ago, The drivers side looks almost the same like the tape didn't hold or whatever they used failed. The passenger looks ok, but I have had dealings so many times with my studio, I am not scared and reluctant to bring my car back there

VTEC Mini
06-25-2013, 06:23 PM
Geez.....

Seafarer61
06-26-2013, 01:35 AM
I can see a TSB down the road on this issue. For Pete's sake Fiat, sideskirts are kicking your arse? Get it together and fix this.

VTEC Mini
06-26-2013, 08:48 AM
I can see a TSB down the road on this issue. For Pete's sake Fiat, sideskirts are kicking your arse? Get it together and fix this.

There should have been one already. The car has been in production for almost a year and half. There is no reason for this to still be happening.

deathshead
06-26-2013, 09:10 AM
Got an appointment with my dealer on Friday the 3rd.
they are hoping to send it to thier body shop to pull the skirt off and remount it..
sigh...

wilbmeister
06-26-2013, 10:26 AM
I had my appointment last week to have mine replaced. It took them about 30 minutes to remove and reinstall the new skirts. They did a real nice job and they look great! The tech looked close at the old ones and felt that they separated because pressure was put on the old ones, probably from a lift. I was a little surprised by this as I watched when I had my rims changed at the tire shop. I guess I missed something. I highly suggest that you watch and remind every garage that puts your car on a lift to use a spacer underneath to keep the lift from bumping the skirts. The good news in all of this is that it is covered under warranty, takes little time at the dealer and the skirts come prepainted so there is no worry about color matching.

NGEN
06-26-2013, 10:53 AM
We had this happen to our Rosso Abarth. Took forever to get the new side skirts (why they didn't just replace the 3M adhesive is beyond me).

trevc
06-26-2013, 11:18 AM
I took a forum members advice (sorry, I can't remember who it was) and bought some ice hockey pucks (four for under $12 shipped on Amazon).
They work great to space the lift pads so they don't hit the side-skirts.
Carry some with you when you go to get work done on your Abarth!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008875XYU/ref=ox_ya_os_product

Tweak
06-26-2013, 12:48 PM
I took a forum members advice (sorry, I can't remember who it was) and bought some ice hockey pucks (four for under $12 shipped on Amazon).
They work great to space the lift pads so they don't hit the side-skirts.
Carry some with you when you go to get work done on your Abarth!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008875XYU/ref=ox_ya_os_product

Corvette uses a hockey puck with an eye hook through it and a washer, good enough for them, good enough for the FIAT. :D

Fiat500USA
06-26-2013, 01:41 PM
The sideskirts are the same as used in Europe including the tape. This may come down to different market expectations , however. I think I would be safe saying it is giving them an ulcer and it would probably require a redesign. I expected they would have taken care of it ASAP , so something is holding them up . Personally, I would use some kind of epoxy on them if they need to be refitted. I would also not direct tons of high pressure water between the body and the skirts.

Leotxn
06-26-2013, 07:52 PM
I had mine fixed Friday & they look great, thank you Matt at Fiat of Austin Service, you guys did a great job.

banzaitoyota
10-06-2013, 04:25 PM
Add me to the list. :fatigue:

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn288/banzaitoyota/IMG_20131006_161346_zps0402b358.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/banzaitoyota/media/IMG_20131006_161346_zps0402b358.jpg.html)

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn288/banzaitoyota/IMG_20131006_161521_zps0e6e8075.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/banzaitoyota/media/IMG_20131006_161521_zps0e6e8075.jpg.html)

Tweak
10-06-2013, 06:57 PM

Just an update...I have not gotten a call although I was approved for repairs... 5 months later seems a bit long to me so sometime in the not so distant future I will be having to go back and check on why there is a delay and when it will get done.

Dr. FIAT
10-06-2013, 10:09 PM
I had the same issue, from a lift. My dealer did not replace the skirts- they drilled two small screws into the black piece in the wheel well, into the front of the side skirt. They are small screws, and it absolutely solved the problem. They did both sides. These skirts should have been secured this way from the factory. Haven't had another issue since.

Tweak
10-06-2013, 10:23 PM
I had the same issue, from a lift. My dealer did not replace the skirts- they drilled two small screws into the black piece in the wheel well, into the front of the side skirt. They are small screws, and it absolutely solved the problem. They did both sides. These skirts should have been secured this way from the factory. Haven't had another issue since.

Pics by chance? I wonder if these newly created holes would lead to cracks down the road... :confused"

Dr. FIAT
10-06-2013, 10:35 PM
I'll post some tomorrow. They shouldn't- they are small screws, black. The side skirts are impact copolymer polypropylene- very flexible, and not prone to cracking. I could have done this myself at home with a cheap drill and few black screws...

Tweak
10-06-2013, 11:50 PM
I'll post some tomorrow. They shouldn't- they are small screws, black. The side skirts are impact copolymer polypropylene- very flexible, and not prone to cracking. I could have done this myself at home with a cheap drill and few black screws...

This is why it interests me to see the pics, I think I may get some 3M and some black screws and try to hit the same spots.

banzaitoyota
10-18-2013, 11:11 PM
Fiat approved my side skirt replacement today

streetsurfer
10-19-2013, 03:01 AM
Is the eye hook simply to locate the puck by aligning with the hole?
Thanks.

Tweak
10-19-2013, 12:20 PM
Is the eye hook simply to locate the puck by aligning with the hole?
Thanks.

:confused:

banzaitoyota
10-19-2013, 06:35 PM

Just an observation. Did FIAT approve this method. I would think this would void the lifetime corrosion warrenty if not done in a method approved by FIAT

Dr. FIAT
10-19-2013, 08:46 PM
The dealer mentioned that they were advised by Fiat to fix it this way- they have been having issues with most 500's on the lot with this same issue. I would note that there is no screwing anything into sheet metal- it's plastic to plastic all the way. Sorry I haven't posted pics as I promised! I've had a ton of stuff going on..

slowbird
03-27-2014, 08:25 PM
Sorry to revive an old thread but I found this while searching for a TSB for the side skirt seperation problem.

I took the car for my first oil change and when I got home I noticed the seperation on the driverside behind the front wheel.

I have a huge shopping list of problems that the dealer has to fix. Hate to add this to the list.

Anyone got the link for the TSB?

RedR1
03-27-2014, 09:29 PM
front right sideskirt on my '13 came apart. . . . 500 miles on car currently. Not knowing it was a known issue, I forcefully persuaded the side skirt back against the body until I heard a snap like it fell back inline with a clip/mounting point. If it comes apart again, I will take it to the dealer. . . . which i DREAD. I hate the Dodge/Fiat service department with a passion.

slowbird
03-27-2014, 09:47 PM
I forcefully persuaded the side skirt back against the body until I heard a snap like it fell back inline with a clip/mounting point. If it comes apart again, I will take it to the dealer. . . . which i DREAD. I hate the Dodge/Fiat service department with a passion.

Funny thing, I did the same. Not forcefully mind you, but I pushed it back into place and it made a noise like it was being snapped back into place and has been fine for a week now.

VTEC Mini
03-28-2014, 08:21 AM
Sorry to revive an old thread but I found this while searching for a TSB for the side skirt seperation problem.

I took the car for my first oil change and when I got home I noticed the seperation on the driverside behind the front wheel.

I have a huge shopping list of problems that the dealer has to fix. Hate to add this to the list.

Anyone got the link for the TSB?There is no TSB. Fiat has seriously dropped the ball on this.

FiatCares
03-28-2014, 11:41 AM

Anyone got the link for the TSB?

This is the STAR (engineering) case # S1323000055. The dealers can access this on there systems. It was released 10/02/2011. However, most dealers were finding a way to screw the skirts to the rocker panels. The STAR case suggested applying 3M double-sided tape to the rocker panel molding and quarter panel molding.

markinmad
03-28-2014, 12:03 PM
I think my dealer's body shop used windshield adhesive... That sucker is never coming off!

Tweak
03-28-2014, 08:02 PM
I think my dealer's body shop used windshield adhesive... That sucker is never coming off!

This is the solution being used by multiple dealers (mine included)...great solution unless damage occurs then it'll cause even more damage removing them.

Good and bad situation I suppose.

sjmst
03-29-2014, 02:43 PM
Mine was fixed by dealer. No problem.

SeaDawg
03-29-2014, 03:12 PM
Mine was fixed by dealer. No problem.

Mine made a valiant attempt. Took off the entire driver's side rocker panel 'skirt' and retaped it, two days later it was pulling away at the rear wheel end again. It was pulling away when I picked up the car on 31 Dec. 2013...it was an early 2013 build and had been sitting on the lot for about 9 months.

Corsair
04-17-2014, 07:59 AM
In my post on the "Welcome" thread I said I'd post an update when the skirts were fixed.
The first week of ownership I saw the skirts were separating at the front/rear on both sides. The dealer I purchased from is part of a large auto group and they have a Dodge shop close to home where they are authorized to handle Fiat issues. They looked at it and ordered new skirts, painted and installed them. The front end manager said something about clips and tape before the repair. I was surprised to hear "clips" as I understood from this forum that only tape was used, but he wasn't the actual tech, so he may have been wrong.
I picked it up last week and it looks good, good paint match and looks solid, (I did not grab the skirts and yank on them to check how strong the bond is, if there stuck, there stuck).
Nothing but positive things to say about the dealer, they were professional, enthusiastic, and apologized for the delay in getting the parts. I felt the lead time for getting the parts was completely understandable.
All in all, I'm happy. Love the car.

phade
04-18-2014, 11:31 AM
I just noticed today the side skirt on the drivers side is separating near the rear wheel. It's currently only less than 1 inch separated. I think I might just try to fix it myself if it doesn't get worse. Wedge some 3M tape or something down in there. If it does get worse, I'll just have the dealership fix it when I go in for my first oil change in a month or so.

ophidia31
04-21-2014, 01:56 PM
front right sideskirt on my '13 came apart. . . . 500 miles on car currently. Not knowing it was a known issue, I forcefully persuaded the side skirt back against the body until I heard a snap like it fell back inline with a clip/mounting point. If it comes apart again, I will take it to the dealer. . . . which i DREAD. I hate the Dodge/Fiat service department with a passion.

Funny thing, I did the same. Not forcefully mind you, but I pushed it back into place and it made a noise like it was being snapped back into place and has been fine for a week now.

Just got back from the dealer today as they were checking out my brakes and to take pictures of my front emblem area to send to fiat to get to go ahead for a bumper repaint. Gave it a quick wash to get the frsh bugs off and saw the driver side seperated. :cussing: Was just going to add 3m tape to it at work wednesday then tried this trick. Heard the snap and it looks like nothing happened. When I bring it back down there, Im going to tell them that for the love of god, watch what the f' theyre doing when they lift it.

msjulie33
04-21-2014, 03:42 PM
This is the STAR (engineering) case # S1323000055. The dealers can access this on there systems. It was released 10/02/2011. However, most dealers were finding a way to screw the skirts to the rocker panels. The STAR case suggested applying 3M double-sided tape to the rocker panel molding and quarter panel molding.

I sure don't want screws into my rocker panels - unless there's plastic there I don't know about I can't see adding purposeful rust potential even though I'm not in the snow belt anymore...

slowbird
04-21-2014, 10:30 PM
The front piece of my sideskirt has stayed put since I snapped it back into place....but it looks like it's now seperating at the top part of the side skirt behind the drivers door.

robin
04-24-2014, 09:33 PM
I had the right side replaced about 3 months ago. I noriced today that the left side has also started to peel off. I hope I dont have to go through the same BS steps again to get it fixed.

WarEagle
04-30-2014, 06:28 PM
How is it that Fiat has not yet fixed this issue? I can't believe they haven't implemented a fix at the factory. Sad that these issues are continuing.

SeaDawg
04-30-2014, 08:44 PM
How is it that Fiat has not yet fixed this issue? I can't believe they haven't implemented a fix at the factory. Sad that these issues are continuing.

+1

Thad
05-01-2014, 01:17 PM
I don't get it how this has continued for over three years now. I had the issue very early with my Prima in 2011 and my 2013 Abarth has the same problem. Why hasn't the manufacturing process corrected this.

VTEC Mini
05-01-2014, 01:23 PM
Yeah mine have been done 3X in a year from new.....

05-01-2014, 03:24 PM
Anyone have any pictures of this issue?

sjmst
05-01-2014, 03:39 PM
Had it on my 2012 Abarth. Fixed under warranty.

slowbird
05-01-2014, 04:04 PM
Is there a TSB for this issue? I have asked before but I don't recall an answer.

I like to be "armed" with the TSB's when I go to the dealer to report the problem. I am so used to having to fight to get things fixed under warranty.

robin
05-02-2014, 09:37 PM
A quick update on my car red.
The dealer told me that most of the cars that come in R red.
The right side comes in painted.
The left is not painted.
Hopefully now that both sides r done I hope its the end of the problem.
Robin

cgpiper
05-29-2014, 11:06 PM
I don't know how I missed this thread over the past year or so. My passenger side panel separated a bit soon after I got it, and it hadn't been on any lift. It was replaced or retaped (the service manager said it was replaced but I have no way to verify it). It started to separate after a couple of weeks and now (a few months later) it's got about 1/4-1/2" gap. I can see the tab by looking down into the crack, and can also see double sided tape. Is the panel taped to begin with, or is this just evidence that mine is an original panel with tape and NOT a new replacement? Guess I'll have to go in next week and see about another fix. I don't mind getting these warranty fixes done, but if it's chronic and prone to happen all the time, I'm not too optimistic about post-warranty longevity.

Tweak
05-30-2014, 01:06 AM
I don't know how I missed this thread over the past year or so. My passenger side panel separated a bit soon after I got it, and it hadn't been on any lift. It was replaced or retaped (the service manager said it was replaced but I have no way to verify it). It started to separate after a couple of weeks and now (a few months later) it's got about 1/4-1/2" gap. I can see the tab by looking down into the crack, and can also see double sided tape. Is the panel taped to begin with, or is this just evidence that mine is an original panel with tape and NOT a new replacement? Guess I'll have to go in next week and see about another fix. I don't mind getting these warranty fixes done, but if it's chronic and prone to happen all the time, I'm not too optimistic about post-warranty longevity.

Some have reported 3 times having it repaired and I imagine some have needed more times than that. Many shops are now using windshield adhesive, this has proven an effective method and it won't need returning to the dealer at that point.

Thad
05-30-2014, 11:23 AM
I still don't understand why FIAT hasn't A) fixed this at manufacturing and B) sent out a TSB with the known proper factory recommended practice to fix this in the field. Boggles my mind that this has been going on since the first cars shipped in early 2011.

markinmad
05-30-2014, 11:52 AM
I had the windshield adhesive fix and now I see that the same side is separating again.

Tweak
05-30-2014, 10:16 PM
I had the windshield adhesive fix and now I see that the same side is separating again.

Strange, I had heard this was a permanent fix from several members as well as a body shop. :(

DeadLazlo
06-03-2014, 10:45 PM
Anyone have any pictures of this issue?

Both sides started peeling over the winter on mine (2013). Took it in to be repaired last week, and driver's side is already peeling (just past the door this time).

Tweak
06-03-2014, 10:46 PM
Both sides started peeling over the winter on mine (2013). Took it in to be repaired last week, and driver's side is already peeling (just past the door this time).

Welcome to the forum (and the side skirt peeling club I guess as well).

DeadLazlo
06-03-2014, 11:01 PM
Heh - thanks - been lurking since July. Finally decided I had something to contribute :)

DeadLazlo
06-04-2014, 04:28 PM
Quick update on my experience - I talked to the dealer, and obviously it's a common, known issue. Seemingly for now, the standard answer from Fiat/Chrysler is to "re-tape" the originals when it's brought in. So I have to take it in again for them to snap a few more photos, and re-submit. He said they've had good luck replacing them with new ones, and usually the "re-tape" jobs fail like this. We'll see how it goes in the coming weeks.

Tweak
06-04-2014, 07:52 PM
Heh - thanks - been lurking since July. Finally decided I had something to contribute :)

Quick update on my experience - I talked to the dealer, and obviously it's a common, known issue. Seemingly for now, the standard answer from Fiat/Chrysler is to "re-tape" the originals when it's brought in. So I have to take it in again for them to snap a few more photos, and re-submit. He said they've had good luck replacing them with new ones, and usually the "re-tape" jobs fail like this. We'll see how it goes in the coming weeks.

I posted some pics here: http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?14146-What-did-you-do-to-your-Abarth-today&p=685112&viewfull=1#post685112

I had my skirts fixed and the car returned today...in one you can see the retape failed to work in a small area. The body shop manager told me they use windshield adhesive but perhaps they do the tape THEN the adhesive or maybe the adhesive is on there and the tape is for the perimeter only. Anyway, best of luck with your repair!

Rossonero404
06-13-2014, 09:14 AM
This probably is not a conventional fix for the skirts but….i had this problem on my Prima Edizione, it was only on the drivers side and the front first part of the skirt only, they used the 'tape' at the dealership once and of course it didn't hold. I got fed up with looking at it, so one day i decided i'm probably never going to need to take this skirt off for any reason so i grabbed my tube of Liquid Nails and a big ol' bar clamp and glued the sucker in place! Before applying the glue i pulled it out a bit further and cleaned inside as best as possible and let it dry. I used a towel in between the clamp and the skirt so it wouldn't mark the paint, i also clamped it with just enough pressure to hold it tight without deforming it as well. After it dried it actually looked great and held. I can't speak for long term on this fix because about a month or so later i traded it in for my Abarth!

Nogastorace
06-16-2014, 04:36 PM
I had to take mine back into the studio to have them replace the double sided tape. Mine was faulty from day 1.

robin
06-16-2014, 08:22 PM
When I bought my car the drivers side needed to be redone. They replaced it. Then the passanger side
failed and they replaced that.
Now the drivers side is coming off again.
I wounder if I can lemon Law it???? I am OVER dealing with this simple problem they cant figure out how to fix.

Rossonero404
06-16-2014, 08:33 PM
I'm telling you guys...take matters into your own hands and grab some Liquid Nails!

robin
06-16-2014, 08:54 PM
I think that would be a bad idea on a car that is under warranty.
What better way for them to say sorry you screwed with it and
its now your problem.
If the dealer did that it would be OK with me as its on them and not me.

Fiat500USA
06-16-2014, 09:12 PM
Mine are still OK, but if it would happen to me, I would have the body shop use an epoxy.

streetsurfer
06-16-2014, 10:26 PM
I think these skirts really need a seal at the top edge to keep sand, salt, wax, whatever, off of the edge of the tape. From someones photos it appeared the tape deteriorated and separated starting at the top edge. I bet a seal would quell the problem if not eliminate it completely (aside from physical damage from distorting the skirt) I've thought about running a fine bead of season seal along the top of mine. Its a clear flexible removable sealer just like that dry but somewhat tacky strip of snot you'll see on some mailings that hold an item on a postcard or seal an envelope.

trevc
06-17-2014, 08:39 AM
So far I have been fortunate, over 2 years and no issues. I am sure they will eventually start peeling. When that time comes I plan on using window-weld (I have a black car). I used it to install my hood vents and it is excellent.

Motion32
06-17-2014, 09:20 AM
I have been in for my side skirts 3 times already. On one visit the dealership put on complete new skirts. On another they tried to reshape them with a heat gun. Both of those efforts didn't even last 5 hours. My passenger side is so bad that the 2 clips closest to the rear have popped out completely.

Makes the car look like s**t.

Now I am told have to wait while Fiat investigates.

Rossonero404
06-17-2014, 09:42 AM
So far I have been fortunate, over 2 years and no issues. I am sure they will eventually start peeling. When that time comes I plan on using window-weld (I have a black car). I used it to install my hood vents and it is excellent.

Trev, that's the best solution i've heard yet and will use this on my new Abarth if the skirts start separating. I think as long as you don't use too much and are careful, you'll never see the adhesive and won't have to worry about it's black color.

markinmad
06-17-2014, 04:15 PM
Had my passenger side skirt reattached again on Friday, we'll see how long it stays attached this time.

FiatCACares
06-17-2014, 04:17 PM
I have been in for my side skirts 3 times already. On one visit the dealership put on complete new skirts. On another they tried to reshape them with a heat gun. Both of those efforts didn't even last 5 hours. My passenger side is so bad that the 2 clips closest to the rear have popped out completely.

Makes the car look like s**t.

Now I am told have to wait while Fiat investigates.

Motion32,

I'm sorry to learn of the side skirt issue you've been experiencing. Have you had an opportunity to speak with the Service Manager at your Studio? Have they advised you of the next course of action?

Keep an eye on your PM inbox.

Motion32
06-17-2014, 04:36 PM
Hi FiatCACares,

I have not spoken to the Service Manager directly. I have dealt with several Service Advisors up till now. I received a call about an hour ago from the Studio and their next idea is to put yet another new set of skirts on the car and then paint them after they are installed as opposed to the last time when they painted them first then installed them. I don't see how this will really make much of a difference but I am told this is their recommended course of action.

Thank you for the response.

Motion32,

I'm sorry to learn of the side skirt issue you've been experiencing. Have you had an opportunity to speak with the Service Manager at your Studio? Have they advised you of the next course of action?

Keep an eye on your PM inbox.

Tweak
06-17-2014, 05:08 PM
I think these skirts really need a seal at the top edge to keep sand, salt, wax, whatever, off of the edge of the tape. From someones photos it appeared the tape deteriorated and separated starting at the top edge. I bet a seal would quell the problem if not eliminate it completely (aside from physical damage from distorting the skirt) I've thought about running a fine bead of season seal along the top of mine. Its a clear flexible removable sealer just like that dry but somewhat tacky strip of snot you'll see on some mailings that hold an item on a postcard or seal an envelope.

I live off a dirt road and think this is an excellent idea as I am worried about the sand getting in behind the skirt. See my pics and you'd notice there is a lot of room for that to happen sadly.

I think this is what they told me they used but when I got the car back it was already pulled away in a small area towards the rear passenger side. I noticed it the day I went to pick the car up so it didn't even last long enough for me to make it home! I'm pretty certain they used only tape.

You can see the area that refuses to stay attached. :(
http://i62.tinypic.com/25hd550.jpg

FiatCACares
06-18-2014, 11:15 AM
Hi FiatCACares,

I have not spoken to the Service Manager directly. I have dealt with several Service Advisors up till now. I received a call about an hour ago from the Studio and their next idea is to put yet another new set of skirts on the car and then paint them after they are installed as opposed to the last time when they painted them first then installed them. I don't see how this will really make much of a difference but I am told this is their recommended course of action.

Thank you for the response.

Motion32,

Thanks for the update. The Service Manager and the Service Dept. will be able to provide further technical details regarding their recommendation to resolve your concern. I'll be in touch via PM.

AudiGuy
06-18-2014, 04:50 PM
FWIW I used the windshield urethane on my last cars body kit. That **** is for real. If you prep the area well, you should never have a problem with them coming off. If I were you, I would do it myself. Get a tube and a caulking gun and have at it. The side skirts on my last car were at least double the size of the Abarths skirts. It took some serious effort to get them off when I went to sell the body kit. If mine ever start to come off, (which they are) Im just gonna do it that way. Its a better idea than taking my car back to the same people that failed at it the first time.

Tweak
06-18-2014, 11:23 PM
FWIW I used the windshield urethane on my last cars body kit. That **** is for real. If you prep the area well, you should never have a problem with them coming off. If I were you, I would do it myself. Get a tube and a caulking gun and have at it. The side skirts on my last car were at least double the size of the Abarths skirts. It took some serious effort to get them off when I went to sell the body kit. If mine ever start to come off, (which they are) Im just gonna do it that way. Its a better idea than taking my car back to the same people that failed at it the first time.

So this should do it I assume? http://www.amazon.com/3M-08693-Urethane-Windshield-Cartridge/dp/B000RW1XCK

(Maybe clear would be a better option though).

AudiGuy
06-19-2014, 09:10 AM
So this should do it I assume? http://www.amazon.com/3M-08693-Urethane-Windshield-Cartridge/dp/B000RW1XCK

Not sure thats the same stuff I used. Mine was $25 a tube wholesale. Bought it through a friends body shop. And I wouldnt use clear. Black being easier to spot would be my choice.

Tweak
06-19-2014, 10:34 PM
Not sure thats the same stuff I used. Mine was $25 a tube wholesale. Bought it through a friends body shop. And I wouldnt use clear. Black being easier to spot would be my choice.

Thanks bud. I'll consider giving it a shot and read some reviews before I decide. If I tackle it I will post back results. Reason I mentioned clear is so looking down the seam would be less noticeable at least slightly.

AudiGuy
06-20-2014, 09:46 AM
Thanks bud. I'll consider giving it a shot and read some reviews before I decide. If I tackle it I will post back results. Reason I mentioned clear is so looking down the seam would be less noticeable at least slightly.

I get it. But I would think clear would be harder to see than black. At least if you use black you can see where its coming out of the seems when you press them on. Should help you see that youve got good coverage.
After you getthem glued you need to tape them to the body until they are dry.
http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp199/Eskougor/e5080907.jpg (http://s411.photobucket.com/user/Eskougor/media/e5080907.jpg.html)
http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp199/Eskougor/d30b245e.jpg (http://s411.photobucket.com/user/Eskougor/media/d30b245e.jpg.html)

davidjon_99
06-20-2014, 10:40 AM

When I looked at the product you linked to, this came up as a "Customers who bought..." option.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-08609-Window-Weld-Urethane-Cartridge/dp/B000FW61EW/ref=pd_sim_auto_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0YDYD7WT4SRFWVY429GH It actually says "Window-Weld"

davidjon_99
06-20-2014, 10:42 AM
I get it. But I would think clear would be harder to see than black. At least if you use black you can see where its coming out of the seems when you press them on. Should help you see that youve got good coverage.
After you getthem glued you need to tape them to the body until they are dry.

What did you use to clean/prep the are with?

AudiGuy
06-20-2014, 10:55 AM
What did you use to clean/prep the are with?

Best way to do it is to first mock up where you want them, then put a piece of tape just above that line. So that when you remove the tape, you remove the excess that squeezes out and comes out the top. This stuff isnt easy to remove from your paint, but it is doable. Hair dryer helps soften it up a little.

davidjon_99
06-20-2014, 10:59 AM
Best way to do it is to first mock up where you want them, then put a piece of tape just above that line. So that when you remove the tape, you remove the excess that squeezes out and comes out the top. This stuff isnt easy to remove from your paint, but it is doable. Hair dryer helps soften it up a little.

Cool, thanks. Did you use any solvent or anything to remove wax, etc. before you glued the panels on?

AudiGuy
06-20-2014, 11:03 AM
Cool, thanks. Did you use any solvent or anything to remove wax, etc. before you glued the panels on?
Yeah actually. I used a wax stripper. But I tried not to get crazy with it. I only used it on the areas that had the adhesive on them. But you could get away with just cleaning the car. This stuff bonds really well. The important part is getting some tension on the tape afterwards. It makes sure you get a good bond due to the spread out coverage of the urethane.

Tweak
06-20-2014, 12:03 PM
I figured I would have to find a way to secure it to the car, the suggestions and pics help and the window weld link from the other reply is appreciated. If mine happens again I think this is the best choice and I will have to give it a shot rather than keep watching them slowly peel away (again). Thanks guys.

VTEC Mini
06-20-2014, 12:58 PM
Washed the car this morning and my passenger side is separating for the fourth time in a year and a half....... I'm so sick of this horse **** while Fiat does nothing. Looks like I'm going to have to do it myself with the widow weld.

AudiGuy
06-20-2014, 01:56 PM
Washed the car this morning and my passenger side is separating for the fourth time in a year and a half....... I'm so sick of this horse **** while Fiat does nothing. Looks like I'm going to have to do it myself with the widow weld.

Pretty sure this will solve your issue. From what I've seen Fiat doesn't use a material that is up to the task.

13VaAbarth
06-20-2014, 06:33 PM
Geez after reading this make me not to hopeful of getting mine fixed correctly.

Klasse Act
06-22-2014, 10:45 PM
I know we've got a Fiat customer rep here on the forum, really surprised a sure fired way of fixing this isn't out yet. Fiat needs to get this taken care of and quick. My D/S is doing this a little bit but I'm not taking it in because I'm afraid that "half assing it" will piss me off because its going to look like a hack job, so I'm just dealing with it right now. The car is in its 3 model year, let's get this taken care of Fiat, I'm sure you've got other cars coming down the line and this just doesn't make you guys look good. We all love our cars and you know this, so take care of the problem!

Dave80GTSi
06-23-2014, 12:27 PM
My focus on this issue is a little bit different.

Like many others, I now have a side skirt gap created on both sides, right in front of the rear wheel arch. As you move towards the front of the car (towards the rear edge of the door opening) the gap shrinks to zero. But at the very back edge of the skirt, right at the rear wheel arch edge, I have gaps on both sides of about 3 to 4 mm.

But, here's my question: Since these gaps are there, this means that water can now get into the hidden trapped area behind the skirt. Does anyone have a photo of this area of the car without the skirts installed?

My concern is that, if there is some sort of a hole or an opening in the sheet metal, hidden behind the skirt, the presence of water there might promote the start of rust formation.

It's unfortunately far too easy to imagine a scenerio whereby, in a couple of years, there will be a goodly amount of rust forming behind these skirts, and which water leaking into this area will help to promote and to spread.

Obvioulsy, the formation of hidden rust on the sheet metal behind the skirts is one of those things that, once you find out about it, it will be too late.

Thanks - DM

Tweak
06-23-2014, 11:16 PM
Being painted behind the skirts and I think or more-so hope the holes if they are there are not bare metal I'd think it wouldn't be a major issue. Good question and because it has been a bit of an issue with me as well it'd be a good thing to know for sure about. :)

Seano
06-27-2014, 09:25 AM
I have a 2013 Abarth, purchased in late November of 2013. My side skirt is pulling away from the front drivers side wheel well and along the driver door. I just found this thread and it's interesting that I only noticed the problem after I took it in for my first 5000 mile oil change. I'm not really sure whether putting in on the lift did it, or if just started peeling away over time. I sure hope when I bring it to the dealer for a fix, they do a better repair job than was done for many of those here, but I'm not holding out much hope after reading all this.

Tweak
06-27-2014, 01:23 PM
I have a 2013 Abarth, purchased in late November of 2013. My side skirt is pulling away from the front drivers side wheel well and along the driver door. I just found this thread and it's interesting that I only noticed the problem after I took it in for my first 5000 mile oil change. I'm not really sure whether putting in on the lift did it, or if just started peeling away over time. I sure hope when I bring it to the dealer for a fix, they do a better repair job than was done for many of those here, but I'm not holding out much hope after reading all this.

It is very possible they accidentally put pressure on the skirts as this will definitely cause them to pull away. Hope you get a satisfactory result from the repair.

FiatCares
06-27-2014, 02:30 PM
It is very possible they accidentally put pressure on the skirts as this will definitely cause them to pull away. Hope you get a satisfactory result from the repair.

agree

FiatCares
06-27-2014, 02:32 PM
and it could be if they put the vehicle up on a lift and it sags the side skirts, making them pull away

ReconTopher
06-27-2014, 03:11 PM
My shop attempted to fix mine and by the time I got home it had popped open again. Been waiting over 3 months for it to be "approved" to be re-fixed or have new ones put on, whatever they do.

ozmini
06-29-2014, 05:57 PM
Brought my 2012 in twice and the studio failed to fix the drivers side skirt (45miles away, my time and gas!). They approved a new one for the third try and that lasted for three months before it separated again. It sucks, but I'm just gonna live with it.....

Tim0331
06-30-2014, 04:19 AM
Instead of relying on my dealer since the majority of them are pretty useless, I just fixed it myself with some double sided tape. Can't even tell it was separated and haven't had the issue since

cgpiper
06-30-2014, 04:58 PM
My drivers side was unaffected until recently and it is just now starting to separate at the front of the panel... enough to see the adhesive stretching like gum. But the passenger side, which was "fixed" once is now separated a full inch in the rear. I'll be going to the dealer when I return from a vacation, but the usual spiel is that Fiat is aware and thinking about it. Same response with the frequent refusal to start on the first try (another thread elsewhere). They know about it and are thinking about it. Geez.

Klasse Act
07-04-2014, 01:46 AM
Instead of relying on my dealer since the majority of them are pretty useless, I just fixed it myself with some double sided tape. Can't even tell it was separated and haven't had the issue since

Would you enlighten the group as far as placement and brand/type of tape you used, thanks!

foxxwoof
07-09-2014, 08:18 AM
I'm beginning to wonder if I even want to deal with the dealer on this issue, considering all of you not getting the issue fixed and the bad experience I had on the phone setting up the appointment.

My drivers side skirt is starting to separate at the back wheel, so I called yesterday and tried to setup an appointment with the dealer. I got a hold of a service writer and I told him my problem. He admitted to me that it was a common issue that we could get that taken care of under warranty and he would set me up an appointment. As he was entering in my info, he asked if I'd ever been in there before, to which I told him no. I purchased my car from Car Max, and that they had attempted to fix the issue back in November because I noticed it while I was in the process of buying the car, and that it had been fine up until about 2 weeks ago. He then told me, whoa there, we can't warranty that then. When I asked why not, he said it was because someone other than a Fiat dealer had worked on it. He couldn't warranty someone else's work. He said he could fix it but I would have to pay out of pocket, either than or I could call Car Max to see if I could get them to pay the bill that would be incurred since they had attempted to fix it before and failed.

Needless to say I'm upset about the whole deal, but feeling under the gun, I setup an appointment for the 21st to get the work done anyway. It seems silly to me, that because CarMax tried to use some double sided tape/adhesive to fix the issue that, that would void my warranty. Shortly after, I was talking to a friend of mine who also happens to be an attorney, and he said none of this sounds right to him either. He said that according the Magnuson-Moss Act that the dealer can't deny warranty work simply on the basis that someone other than the dealer worked on the car. I looked it up on FTC.gov's website and it appears that he is correct.

Do I have to use the dealer for repairs and maintenance to keep my warranty in effect?
No. An independent mechanic, a retail chain shop, or even you yourself can do routine maintenance and repairs on your vehicle. In fact, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is enforced by the FTC, makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work.

Bear in mind this was all over the phone, he has never seen my car, he just said he cover it. So what is my next move here? Call back and talk to a supervisor? The dealer is 70+ miles away and over an hour drive, and the next nearest dealer is 120+ miles away. So it's not like it's easy to just pop in and talk to somebody, I have to make a day out of it. Would really love to hear from Johnathan/FiatCares on this.

streetsurfer
07-09-2014, 12:39 PM
In the past with another brand, I have had warranty work covered when done by an independant mechanic/shop. My job/dealership/home locations made dropoff and repair by the selling dealership difficult, and in reading the fine print of the extended warranty I found there was a clause allowing for coverage in the event distance was a limiting factor.

Infinite_Day
07-13-2014, 07:01 PM
Add me to the list of skirts separating. I hadn't read this whole thread until I noticed separation today. As with many others - took it in for its first service and tire rotation on Friday. Probably due to the lift. I was able to pop it back in as some others had suggested. I'll have to keep an eye on it and see if it continues. This should not be an issue at all on these cars this far into production. The techs should be told about this first thing when they start at the dealership. Fiat really needs to get their crap together or their return to the U.S. is going to be very short lived indeed.

Winston
07-18-2014, 04:13 PM
I had mine re-glued in January before taking delivery of new , 2013 Abarth, yesterday for re-glue again.

MichaelT
07-20-2014, 05:17 PM
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a205/MustangManV8/IMG_20140720_170042_zps858d94c8.jpg

This started yesterday, joy.

Tweak
07-20-2014, 08:50 PM
^^^ Guess you don't officially own a Fiat 500 Abarth till this happens...lol. Warranty will fix it...almost certainly it will happen again though.

foxxwoof
07-21-2014, 10:17 PM
I find it weird that almost all the pics of everybody's skirts separating is on the front, but mine is separating at the back wheel. I'm heading to Indy tomorrow to get her fixed.

msjulie33
07-21-2014, 10:53 PM
I find it weird that almost all the pics of everybody's skirts separating is on the front, but mine is separating at the back wheel. I'm heading to Indy tomorrow to get her fixed.

Driver's side front shows the start of the separation; studio rep surprised - said most do it at the back FWIW

Tweak
07-22-2014, 09:40 AM

Mine did both front and rear the first time and upon returning it I noticed almost immediately the rear was starting to worsen...usually the front is related to people jacking the car and pressing on the skirts.

foxxwoof
07-26-2014, 11:48 PM
Well I took my car in for this issue Tuesday. I had absolutely no problems with O'Brien Fiat doing the work under warranty for me. When I mentioned the other Fiat dealer that was refusing to warranty the work, he told me I was the 3rd person in a week who has come to see him because they also had issue with that other service manager. Time will tell if the fix lasts though, when I went out to my car when I picked it up there were a couple of spots that were already loose, now I don't know if that is because the tech didn't attach them fully in the first place or not, but I pushed the skirt in place and helped the tape to seal and so far it's holding. But I made the service manager make a note in my file that there was already separation and I hadn't even left the parking lot yet.

As of today everything I reattached is holding. We'll see how long.

Seano
07-27-2014, 07:55 AM
Okay. So I brought mine into the dealer. When the rep had their (remote) body shop on the phone line, the body shop told them it would have to be replaced. The dealer ignored that and did not order part. When I picked up the car after the warranty work on the separating side skirt (front driver side) both skirts were now newly separating at the back wheel. The dealer service rep suggested I drive to their remote boy shop and have them look at them. I did that, and the body shop folks said they had re-taped the original skirts on but they could see it was not holding at the back wheel area and in fact basically said "the tape never works; its just a poor design issue with this vehicle. They'll have to get you replace panels for us to install." When I reported this to the dealer service rep and asked whether he will be ordering replacement parts, he said something like: we have to go through Chrysler and they're not going to just willy nilly give us $800 parts without going through a process.... The body shop said they will call the dealer direct and tell them they need to order the parts. I believe they did make that call to the dealer in my presence, but now the dealer rep is not returning my calls on the subject.

...grrrr

My new fun car should not be frustrating me in this fashion....

Klasse Act
08-07-2014, 11:08 AM
Okay. So I brought mine into the dealer. When the rep had their (remote) body shop on the phone line, the body shop told them it would have to be replaced. The dealer ignored that and did not order part. When I picked up the car after the warranty work on the separating side skirt (front driver side) both skirts were now newly separating at the back wheel. The dealer service rep suggested I drive to their remote boy shop and have them look at them. I did that, and the body shop folks said they had re-taped the original skirts on but they could see it was not holding at the back wheel area and in fact basically said "the tape never works; its just a poor design issue with this vehicle. They'll have to get you replace panels for us to install." When I reported this to the dealer service rep and asked whether he will be ordering replacement parts, he said something like: we have to go through Chrysler and they're not going to just willy nilly give us $800 parts without going through a process.... The body shop said they will call the dealer direct and tell them they need to order the parts. I believe they did make that call to the dealer in my presence, but now the dealer rep is not returning my calls on the subject.

...grrrr

My new fun car should not be frustrating me in this fashion....

Look up the word runaround and this post comes up, sucks to hear this Sean and your last statement couldn't be more true! It really sucks because I look forward to getting into this car everyday, seriously look forward to it. Are there other cars on the road I'd rather have, sure, but when you drive this car your not always lusting after other cars costing more by $20-30K, if that makes any sense.

pk9394
08-15-2014, 02:59 PM
mine start to pop on both front side. right now still looks ok, will have them fix on next services visit if they don't go bad too quick!

Horizontally-Opposed
08-18-2014, 03:12 AM
My side skirts are bad at the back on both sides, and I suspect it is a design issue. There should have been a bolt or clip at the back and maybe elsewhere. Just re-taping it doesn't address the leverage placed on the skirt, which seems to be causing the issue.

Has anyone seen an alternate fix? Is it in this thread? I know I should probably read all 18 pages, but I suspect not if we're still talking about warranty repairs with tape....

Tweak
08-18-2014, 10:18 AM
My side skirts are bad at the back on both sides, and I suspect it is a design issue. There should have been a bolt or clip at the back and maybe elsewhere. Just re-taping it doesn't address the leverage placed on the skirt, which seems to be causing the issue.

Has anyone seen an alternate fix? Is it in this thread? I know I should probably read all 18 pages, but I suspect not if we're still talking about warranty repairs with tape....

The alternative fix is to use windshield adhesive and some dealers are going this route.

J.Peterman
08-18-2014, 07:34 PM
I have a two week old Abarth and the right side has come loose at the top, just behind the front passenger door. The opposite side appears that it is ready to do the same thing. Took it to the dealer this morning for an AC problem and they are going to fix everything this Thursday. I'm surprised that Fiat is using 3M tape (which is a very good product). It has some good uses but for body panels, I would think that they would have used some sort of snap-in connectors that would stay in place without having to deal with the problems that tape can bring (and is causing).

foxxwoof
08-18-2014, 09:25 PM
I personally think the problem is the amount of tape they are using. IE not enough. For instance the door moulding on my VW which is a strip of rubber 3 inches wide or so is held on by 2 side by side strips of 3/4" 3M moulding tape. I was looking at my Fiat after having the work done to reattach the skirts (which is coming apart already a month later) and it looks like that they use 1/4" or 3/8" wide tape around the perimeter of the skirt. Combine that with the fact that the skirt must be under "some" tension to pull away and I just don't think it is enough adhesion surface.

sneakbot
08-23-2014, 10:19 AM
my skirts have been a little separated since just after i got it. 1.5 years later it hasnt come off more which i guess is lucky.

Tweak
08-23-2014, 02:09 PM
my skirts have been a little separated since just after i got it. 1.5 years later it hasnt come off more which i guess is lucky.

Lucky indeed...keep an eye on them because I suspect they'll get worse at some point judging from the other posts and my own experience.

zvez
09-01-2014, 09:40 AM
so mine is doing it at the back on the driver side, guess I'll take it in to the dealer. Still hasn't been in for first oil change yet.

bigalzgtr
09-01-2014, 05:13 PM
Add me to the list. Mine started separating on the passenger side front. Still hasn't been in for first oil change yet!

fozzie
09-12-2014, 02:51 PM
Just going to chalk myself on the list. Noticed rear passenger side is starting to fail. About 4500mi on a 2013. Will address it at next service...unless it gets worse before then!

J.Peterman
09-12-2014, 03:56 PM
My left skirt was separated just behind the divers door (near the top) when I took delivery of the car at the end of July. I immediately made an appointment with the service dept. and they fixed it a couple of weeks ago. The right side shows no signs of separating. From numerous posts re. this problem that I've read on several forums, Fiat is having to reattach quite a few separating skirts.

junnyquest
09-12-2014, 05:02 PM
Mine goes in on Monday and one of the items to be addressed is separation ahead of the driver-side door. Noticed at about 4500 miles.

wilbmeister
09-13-2014, 10:05 PM
I just had mine fixed for the second time. The first time they were replaced with new ones. This time they removed the old, made sure all the old adhesive was removed and glued them back on. They look very good and there are no gaps. They said Fiat no longer will replace them but will fix the old ones. The technician was very meticulous about his work and didn't rush to get it done.

cgpiper
10-09-2014, 01:44 AM
I finally got ahold of the service manager at my Fiat studio (turns out that the fellow I had been working with is on extended military duty and the rest of the staff couldn't get into his mailbox where my unanswered email resided).

He apologized for the delays and told me to bring the car in to get the problem fixed. It's also time for the 32K oil service, and I asked him to apply the TSB that corrects the starting issues that many Abarth have. All three issues were to have been fixed over a day and a half -- he wanted to keep the car overnight to let the "fix" for the side skirts to cure.

I didn't hear back from him the next day, so I called to find out the status. He said that the oil service and TSB work was done but that the side skirt gaps were so big that he had to get authorization from Fiat "Corporate" in order to do the work. Say what????? As others have posted, he reiterated that Fiat policy was to repair existing skirts and not to replace them.

I was mobile at the time and didn't have time to get into a discussion, but the only thing I can't think of for a corporate authorization is to replace them (both sides have issues). I can't think of another reason. Another day has gone by with no call from the service manager, so now it's been there 3 full days.

I'll add to this post when I finally get some action done. The only good thing (so far) is that the dealer sprang for a rental car for me until the work is done.

foxxwoof
10-09-2014, 09:30 AM
My drivers side one is starting to separate again after bing fixed 2 months ago. So far the passenger side is holding though. Need to make a new appointment, sigh....

bigalzgtr
10-09-2014, 10:54 PM
Took my Abarth in to the dealer today to get the side skirt fixed. They sent it over to the body shop and they re-glued it. I drove home 10 miles and its already coming off again. It looks worse than when i brought it in because now you can see a blob of adhesive. What a joke! There has to be a better way to fix this!

Tweak
10-09-2014, 10:57 PM
I finally got ahold of the service manager at my Fiat studio (turns out that the fellow I had been working with is on extended military duty and the rest of the staff couldn't get into his mailbox where my unanswered email resided).

He apologized for the delays and told me to bring the car in to get the problem fixed. It's also time for the 32K oil service, and I asked him to apply the TSB that corrects the starting issues that many Abarth have. All three issues were to have been fixed over a day and a half -- he wanted to keep the car overnight to let the "fix" for the side skirts to cure.

I didn't hear back from him the next day, so I called to find out the status. He said that the oil service and TSB work was done but that the side skirt gaps were so big that he had to get authorization from Fiat "Corporate" in order to do the work. Say what????? As others have posted, he reiterated that Fiat policy was to repair existing skirts and not to replace them.

I was mobile at the time and didn't have time to get into a discussion, but the only thing I can't think of for a corporate authorization is to replace them (both sides have issues). I can't think of another reason. Another day has gone by with no call from the service manager, so now it's been there 3 full days.

I'll add to this post when I finally get some action done. The only good thing (so far) is that the dealer sprang for a rental car for me until the work is done.

32K, also time for new plugs in case you weren't aware. On the Abarth you have NGK plugs and they'll run you around $120-$140 for a set of 4. Denso plugs are an alternative that won't set you back but about $30 bucks. ;)

cgpiper
10-10-2014, 09:26 PM
32K, also time for new plugs in case you weren't aware. On the Abarth you have NGK plugs and they'll run you around $120-$140 for a set of 4. Denso plugs are an alternative that won't set you back but about $30 bucks. ;)

I was so keyed up about the side skirts and starting issue that I didn't bother to check the manual for the additional service recommended at 32k, Tweak. Dang. Guess I'll look at that next week. Are they hard to replace on the Abarth? I've only had the engine cover off once to install a K&N air filter and don't remember anything else under there. I haven't studied plugs for a few years... are the Densos really good, or should I spring for the NGKs? It still runs like a bat out of hell and I'm pretty pleased with the AX performance, but maybe a plug replacement will give me a tad more...

Anyway, I got it back today. The side skirts look good, so I'll see how that lasts. They applied the firmware update via the TSB, but after about 6 starts today, 2 of them were on the second try, so I don't know if the starting problem was cured. In fact, it didn't start the first time when I left the dealer! I'll give it a week or so and see how many times this occurs.

JimmyTestarossa
10-11-2014, 12:12 PM
My 2014 has the passenger side skirt separating in 2 places. I called the dealer (sorry, I refuse to call it a S****io) and they told me they remove the whole panel and use an epoxy and a special clamp to reattach and they have had excellent results with this method. I'm going to wait for oil change #1 until I get this done unless it gets really bad.

Tweak
10-11-2014, 06:33 PM
I was so keyed up about the side skirts and starting issue that I didn't bother to check the manual for the additional service recommended at 32k, Tweak. Dang. Guess I'll look at that next week. Are they hard to replace on the Abarth? I've only had the engine cover off once to install a K&N air filter and don't remember anything else under there. I haven't studied plugs for a few years... are the Densos really good, or should I spring for the NGKs? It still runs like a bat out of hell and I'm pretty pleased with the AX performance, but maybe a plug replacement will give me a tad more...

Anyway, I got it back today. The side skirts look good, so I'll see how that lasts. They applied the firmware update via the TSB, but after about 6 starts today, 2 of them were on the second try, so I don't know if the starting problem was cured. In fact, it didn't start the first time when I left the dealer! I'll give it a week or so and see how many times this occurs.

I snagged the Denso plugs and after knowing of a couple guys using them without issue. If you have the $ I'd probably go with the NGK but at about $100 savings I think the Denso will be fine. I haven't replaced mine yet but the stock plugs did get re-gapped recently. Pull the engine cover and loosen the bolts for the coil packs, pull up then get down in there to the plugs...really easy as long as you have the proper tools. Nothing special needed but it is that time for the service so might as well knock it out.

Also, this is the time the manual calls for the engine filter be replaced as well. At 20K the cabin filter should have been done and the sunroof tracks lubed (if you have one) in case you forgot. ;)

30,000 miles or 48,000 Kilometers for the plugs according to the manual.

HeliDriver
10-11-2014, 10:02 PM
I'm going on 3 times getting the drivers side skirt fixed. First time was replaced and the second was re-glued which lasted about 2 days.
So which one of the Vendors is going to start making some replacement bad a$$ side skirts for our cars? Warranty should start running out in another year to two for most of us.

Tweak
10-11-2014, 10:59 PM
I'm going on 3 times getting the drivers side skirt fixed. First time was replaced and the second was re-glued which lasted about 2 days.
So which one of the Vendors is going to start making some replacement bad a$$ side skirts for our cars? Warranty should start running out in another year to two for most of us.

There are some options out there...most of them cost a pretty good amount of $ however.

cgpiper
10-14-2014, 02:45 AM
I snagged the Denso plugs and after knowing of a couple guys using them without issue. If you have the $ I'd probably go with the NGK but at about $100 savings I think the Denso will be fine. I haven't replaced mine yet but the stock plugs did get re-gapped recently. Pull the engine cover and loosen the bolts for the coil packs, pull up then get down in there to the plugs...really easy as long as you have the proper tools. Nothing special needed but it is that time for the service so might as well knock it out.

Also, this is the time the manual calls for the engine filter be replaced as well. At 20K the cabin filter should have been done and the sunroof tracks lubed (if you have one) in case you forgot. ;)

30,000 miles or 48,000 Kilometers for the plugs according to the manual.

Okay. I have my last AX run this coming weekend and the car is running fine, so I'll wait until after that to do the plug chance. I did the cabin filter back at 20k. By engine filter do you mean the oil or air filter? The oil filter was just changed with my oil (32k) and I stuffed a K&N air filter in the car some time ago, so I think I'm caught up (except for the plugs). Thanks for the reminders!

Gharbeson
10-14-2014, 12:03 PM
Okay. I have my last AX run this coming weekend and the car is running fine, so I'll wait until after that to do the plug chance. I did the cabin filter back at 20k. By engine filter do you mean the oil or air filter? The oil filter was just changed with my oil (32k) and I stuffed a K&N air filter in the car some time ago, so I think I'm caught up (except for the plugs). Thanks for the reminders!
Eurocompulsion has the NKG for around $100+ very fast service

cgpiper
10-30-2014, 11:00 AM
It's been a couple of weeks and so far, the side skirt "regluing/adhesiving" seems to be effective. There is no evidence of separation at this time, but of course it could still happen. Also, the TSB for the starting problem was applied but it doesn't seem to have had much effect. I get a "start on the second attempt" about 50% of the time still. The manager said he hasn't had any experience with the TSB application NOT working, so I'll take it back in next week and have them check it out,

Marvin Martian
11-10-2014, 09:58 AM
I too have had this problem. It has been to dealer three times for this. I just got it back from dealer on Friday for pass side skirt keeps coming off.....and yep 24 hrs later, its not sticking.....I have to say after the whole 6 times for decals peeling( yes still peeling again) and the skirt issues...I am officially done. I have owned this car since Feb of 2014 and have to say its been a miserable experience. I have filed for LEMON LAW AGAINST CHRYSLER for this car.

Shawnb
11-10-2014, 11:42 AM
I too have had this problem. It has been to dealer three times for this. I just got it back from dealer on Friday for pass side skirt keeps coming off.....and yep 24 hrs later, its not sticking.....I have to say after the whole 6 times for decals peeling( yes still peeling again) and the skirt issues...I am officially done. I have owned this car since Feb of 2014 and have to say its been a miserable experience. I have filed for LEMON LAW AGAINST CHRYSLER for this car.

Were the decals and sideskirts the only issues you've had?

Marvin Martian
11-10-2014, 12:10 PM
Were the decals and sideskirts the only issues you've had?

Majority of it yes, still have a drive line vibration they cannot fix. Problem is i really like the car but am tired of spending all my free time dealing with incompetent dealers. I have better things to do with my time then spend at studio.

Shawnb
11-10-2014, 12:43 PM
Majority of it yes, still have a drive line vibration they cannot fix. Problem is i really like the car but am tired of spending all my free time dealing with incompetent dealers. I have better things to do with my time then spend at studio.

I just purchased my Abarth, and I love the car to death for what it is, but I can totally relate to having to deal with getting a car serviced constantly. Mine came with a throw out bearing ticking noise, my driver side skirt is separating, a clunk in the steering, and takes 2-3 starts in the cold sometimes, this is all on a car that had less than 5k miles when the issues happened. The dealer is almost an hour away, and it's a hassle. They don't have loaners so they give you a rental car, well that person meets you at the dealer then you have to go with him 20 minutes to the rental location to do all the paperwork which is 20 minutes the opposite direction of my home. I've never had a loaner where you have to pay the deductible to use it, so strange...

Blown
11-10-2014, 01:04 PM
At my dealership we work with Enterprise. Enterprise decided they were going to charge deductibles to our customers as well. We told them that our customers will not be paying anything at all, and if they want to continue charging them, Hertz is only a half mile further away and we're sure they'd love our account.

Now when our loaners are all taken, customers get a rental free of charge.

Shawnb
11-10-2014, 01:22 PM
At my dealership we work with Enterprise. Enterprise decided they were going to charge deductibles to our customers as well. We told them that our customers will not be paying anything at all, and if they want to continue charging them, Hertz is only a half mile further away and we're sure they'd love our account.

Now when our loaners are all taken, customers get a rental free of charge.

Good customer service goes a long way

Fabio13
11-10-2014, 02:10 PM
My loaner car was brought to the dealership. Piece of cake. I heard the side skirts stick better with a certain 3M product and henceforth no further issues other than repair shops not hoisting the car properly on a lift to prevent damage in the first place.

xtrmnop
11-17-2014, 02:07 PM
Just got my 15 Abarth two weekends ago and I didn't notice that the adhesive on my drive side side skirt is not fully in tack. Gonna try to get this fix before it gets worst. Looks like they use some type of silicon adhesive but I could be wrong. But yeah if 3m double sided automotive tape is used then we shouldn't have these issues. Now I'm curious if there is any way to screw these down.

Marvin Martian
11-18-2014, 03:14 PM
So I go to the Miami International Auto Show this weekend for all NEW car manufactures to show their best product....and I mosey on over to the FIAT section and whoa and behold is a brand new 2015 Abarth and yep you guessed it..........right side skirt is falling off brand new at show. WHAT AN EMBARRASSMENT FOR FIAT! This is on a brand new car with 5 miles, let alone a car that is 8 months old like mine falling off........SAD SAD

xtrmnop
11-19-2014, 06:04 PM
So I go to the Miami International Auto Show this weekend for all NEW car manufactures to show their best product....and I mosey on over to the FIAT section and whoa and behold is a brand new 2015 Abarth and yep you guessed it..........right side skirt is falling off brand new at show. WHAT AN EMBARRASSMENT FOR FIAT! This is on a brand new car with 5 miles, let alone a car that is 8 months old like mine falling off........SAD SAD

Just got mine little over a week ago and the driver side skirt up front didn't adhere enough. Already brining in my car to get this fix. They really need to improve their quality check procedures. Also dealer should have seen this before giving me this car. This should have never passed PDI.

ReconTopher
12-03-2014, 07:02 PM
My car is now in for the side skirt repair for the 3rd time. First time I came home and the driver side was already coming off. The passenger had started to peel very slightly. Took it in, both replaced and both peeled off within a week, my car was in the shop for over a month, waiting to get correct parts. Now they replaced the armrest, the 3rd brake light as it was warping on the cabrio, and they screwed up sending the correct parts twice. Almost 1.5 months on this repair.

AreWhyAyEn
12-03-2014, 07:33 PM
Just got mine little over a week ago and the driver side skirt up front didn't adhere enough. Already brining in my car to get this fix. They really need to improve their quality check procedures. Also dealer should have seen this before giving me this car. This should have never passed PDI.

"This should have never passed PDI" is spot on. get them to fix the skirts, then tell them to throw in some vent visors too. :)

cgpiper
12-04-2014, 12:53 PM
Here it is, almost 2 months later, and my side skirts are still holding well. Apparently the most recent (second) fix worked. I still have to take it in to have the TSB redone but it's the only thing left! Fingers crossed....

It's been a couple of weeks and so far, the side skirt "regluing/adhesiving" seems to be effective. There is no evidence of separation at this time, but of course it could still happen. Also, the TSB for the starting problem was applied but it doesn't seem to have had much effect. I get a "start on the second attempt" about 50% of the time still. The manager said he hasn't had any experience with the TSB application NOT working, so I'll take it back in next week and have them check it out,

foxxwoof
12-06-2014, 09:24 PM
Just took mine in yesterday for reattachment round 2. The first round of reattachment didn't hold on the drivers side. We will see how this round does, but I don't have a ton of confidence. While it is currently holding, it already looks like the tape is strained at the rear wheel arch.

They told me last time that if they didn't hold they would replace the skirts, but they didn't this time. He said it was because Fiat has changed the tape they are using for reattachment, and so far they are having better luck with it. We'll see. I'm skeptical.

abarth500caz
12-07-2014, 10:09 AM
I have a 2013 Cabrio Abarth. Right side skirt is coming loose and the black water sea rubberl in the hatch is coming loose. Both seem to be glued on, possibly with the wrong strength of 'Brand Name' double-back tape(service advisor, not my speculation). Several people in this Abarth Group have found that the local body shop has an automotive application glue that is a more permanent solution. If you go this route it will stay on but it will be difficult to take off if repair is necessary. Good luck...

foxxwoof
12-07-2014, 09:14 PM
As long as there is still a warranty they can keep paying to fix it. The moment it is my dime, I'll use a much more permanent solution. I'd actually like to see them replace the skirts if it comes to that first though.

xtrmnop
12-23-2014, 01:12 AM
"This should have never passed PDI" is spot on. get them to fix the skirts, then tell them to throw in some vent visors too. :)

Damn read this a little late. They did fix it but it was done horribly. They sent it off to a local body shop and I swear they just put some silicone glue in there. Really messy job and you can see the glue. It already starting to separate again and water can easily get in there and make things worst. Gonna have them try fixing it again when I have some time after the holidays but if not think I will contact FIAT support and see what they say.

I just don't understand how hard is this to fix. Just remove side skirt - clean off the old glue and put on some 3M double sided tape and not some cheap ass glue.

ReconTopher
12-28-2014, 08:23 PM
So the new run down for fixing my side skirts. Just picked it up 2 days ago, they had it in the shop for a total of 53 days, dealer paid the rental bill for over $1700 dollars, and it still isn't fixed. Apparently they tried 3 times, ordered and painted new side skirts with each application. Even had two Fiat engineers look at it and escalate it up to a Star case. Really ridiculous. This year it has been in the shop over 3 months, probably $3000 in rental fees, I don't recall the 2nd bill's total. The first time I brought it in I even mentioned the 3M extra strength tape and that numerous people on the forums had said it was working.

kennyd
12-29-2014, 12:50 AM
My drivers side is starting to separate. I had a 2012 sport and had the same issue. I'm going in in a couple weeks (work stuff going on so I can't go earlier) so I will post my experience. last time things went great but I only had it another 3-4 months. I will say my dealer was great about it and they still have the same service manager so I'm hopeful!

cgpiper
01-29-2015, 11:55 AM
So it's now 3 months later. The side skirts are still firmly in place, so it appears that the dealer actually did a good repair this time. I have no idea what they used, but it's effective to this point.

AreWhyAyEn
01-29-2015, 03:43 PM
Damn read this a little late. They did fix it but it was done horribly. They sent it off to a local body shop and I swear they just put some silicone glue in there. Really messy job and you can see the glue. It already starting to separate again and water can easily get in there and make things worst. Gonna have them try fixing it again when I have some time after the holidays but if not think I will contact FIAT support and see what they say.

I just don't understand how hard is this to fix. Just remove side skirt - clean off the old glue and put on some 3M double sided tape and not some cheap ass glue.

Did you ever get in touch with Fiat about this?? I would be furious if they glued my car together!!! If its an OEM repair, they should be using OEM methods. Even if they arent the most effective. Visable glue??? Is this a joke. arrrgghhhh I work at a dealer and i WOULD NOT accept giving my customer their car back in that state... I would not have even taken it home like that.

Tiny Turbo
06-18-2015, 06:49 PM
How hard is it to remove these, has anyone done it? I looked under the car and didn't see it bolted in anywhere but I could be wrong. If all you have to do is peel it off.. I'm just going to keep them off for good. Any help appreciated.
I really think it would look good without side skirts and it beats having to worry about it falling off again. Will give it more of a rally look and go well with my flaps. :cool:

lammie200
06-18-2015, 07:04 PM
How hard is it to remove these, has anyone done it? I looked under the car and didn't see it bolted in anywhere but I could be wrong. If all you have to do is peel it off.. I'm just going to keep them off for good. Any help appreciated.
I really think it would look good without side skirts and it beats having to worry about it falling off again. Will give it more of a rally look and go well with my flaps. :cool:

Pretty sure that you would have some holes exposed without them. They snap into place at the front - nor sure about the back.

Tweak
06-19-2015, 02:12 PM
Pretty sure that you would have some holes exposed without them. They snap into place at the front - nor sure about the back.

Def holes up front...also unsure about the back though.

Indelibility
06-19-2015, 06:02 PM
Mone are separating again after a dealer fix. I'll attempt a fix myself when I have time (and it's not 100 degrees outside). Curious to see if it's really a simple garage fix.

Tiny Turbo
06-19-2015, 06:05 PM
Well that kills that idea if it's going to leave holes along the side of the car. Oh well, thanks for the help.

Tiny Turbo
06-24-2015, 03:32 PM
I dug up some older post from a bunch of forum websites they do say there are 4 holes in the body that hold the plastic clips. Problem is are they on the side in a visible location or underneath? I really want these things gone lol.

Trunkout
06-24-2015, 03:47 PM
I CAN tell you this: My driver side panel was SO off near the front tire I could see down in there and I saw no clips!
Also, if you think about it, we have the same "frame" as a non Abarth 500.
Do you think they poked holes in that frame (through paint and metal) so they could attach clips?
I seriously doubt it. From what I can tell it's simply 3M glued down and the only screws are in the wheel wells on either end.

Tiny Turbo
06-24-2015, 04:00 PM
I CAN tell you this: My driver side panel was SO off near the front tire I could see down in there and I saw no clips!
Also, if you think about it, we have the same "frame" as a non Abarth 500.
Do you think they poked holes in that frame (through paint and metal) so they could attach clips?
I seriously doubt it. From what I can tell it's simply 3M glued down and the only screws are in the wheel wells on either end.

Yeah mine are getting bad enough that I will have to fix them soon regardless, didn't want to take them off completely myself though if it was going to look ugly... otherwise I would just opt for the warranty repair.

Here is an Abarth without side skirts. I don't know if this guy had to fill in any holes or not. 18350

leftcoasttim
06-25-2015, 04:45 PM
I have an Abarth in "nero", and the driver's side started to "de-laminate" in front of the rear wheel.
A local, non-selling dealer, ordered the part, matched and painted it appropriately, and attached
the new piece. Absolutely no problem since it was repaired 6 months ago, and the new skirt matches
the bodywork perfectly. No complaints.

jedfran
07-21-2015, 10:11 AM
I'm dropping off my 2013 Abarth today to have my other side skirt replaced/repaired. I took it in last September and now the other side skirt is separating (I live in SE PA). Here's a picture from last year (passenger side): 18642 And here's the driver's side: 18643

Ugh!

Trunkout
07-21-2015, 10:17 AM
my god mine was nowhere near that bad! got mine fixed two months ago and looks perfect.
hope they use the right glue this time!

little_c
07-21-2015, 10:25 AM
My 2015 had this issue on delivery, but very minor (just a corner peeling away). Had it re-adhered at the dealer, but I'm definitely keeping an eye on both sides. Sounds like nothing much has changed...

Demthios
07-21-2015, 10:27 AM
I'm actually getting ready to call the dealer on the 2013 I just bought on July 4th because the front driver side is coming off. Hopefully this will be a one time fix and done right.

jedfran
07-21-2015, 10:36 AM
When I took it in last year, it was the front of the side skirt that was separating (front passenger side). Now the back of the skirt is separating (rear driver side). Grrrrrrrrr.

pompeii1275
07-21-2015, 11:20 AM
Fix it yourself with 3m structural adhesive and never worry about it again...

sic_infested
07-21-2015, 06:58 PM
2014 also. Just brought mine in for the same thing. 1000 km on it and it's paling on the passenger side just by the rear wheel

Tweak
07-22-2015, 10:36 AM
I'm dropping off my 2013 Abarth today to have my other side skirt replaced/repaired. I took it in last September and now the other side skirt is separating (I live in SE PA). Here's a picture from last year (passenger side): 18642 And here's the driver's side: 18643

Ugh!

The front has a clip, you can press it back and it should click in and hold somewhat. As for the fixing of it...windshield adhesive is what is being used often times to keep the skirts bonded to the car I've been told at 2 different dealers.

slowbird
07-22-2015, 02:40 PM
The front has a clip, you can press it back and it should click in and hold somewhat.

Same.

I always snapped mine back in.

jedfran
07-23-2015, 08:41 AM
Just picked it up from the repair shop. It looks good! 18653

Rocco Russo
07-23-2015, 09:56 PM
I just brought my car into service for a few minor issues, including this one, which I noticed immediately upon picking my car up when new. I held off for a year+, but since I had to bring it in for a few other things, they also replaced them for me at the same time -- completely under warranty of course.

LilSilverBullet
08-09-2015, 10:02 PM
My '15 front corner on driver's side skirt starts separating also. It is only after about 3000 miles (not yet first oil change). I try to repair it with 3M molding tape but it does not stay in place. I guess that particular 3M tape is not strong enough. I will have to take it to dealer when I have time. Fiat built quality is not impressive at all. Body panel gap & alignment. Paint chipping above front emblem. Paint chipping at where the rear bumper meet body or tail lights (happens when some sand stuck in there and it will rub the paint off - happened at 3 locations already). All these within 3 months of having the car.

slowbird
08-10-2015, 06:12 PM
My '15 front corner on driver's side skirt starts separating also. It is only after about 3000 miles (not yet first oil change). I try to repair it with 3M molding tape but it does not stay in place. I guess that particular 3M tape is not strong enough. I will have to take it to dealer when I have time. Fiat built quality is not impressive at all. Body panel gap & alignment. Paint chipping above front emblem. Paint chipping at where the rear bumper meet body or tail lights (happens when some sand stuck in there and it will rub the paint off - happened at 3 locations already). All these within 3 months of having the car.

Wow. The 2015's too huh? I hope you make sure the dealer fixes it all for you and fit it properly.

FiatCares
08-11-2015, 01:37 PM

Hi LilSilverBullet,
I'm extremely sorry to hear about this. If you'd like any kind of assistance from a corporate standpoint in having these issues addressed by your local studio, please feel free to PM me your VIN#, contact info, and the name of the studio that you work with. I'd be happy to help in any way I can!

lammie200
08-11-2015, 02:10 PM
...I try to repair it with 3M molding tape but it does not stay in place. I guess that particular 3M tape is not strong enough...

I think that the entire rear surface of the skirt doesn't contact the car body - just the outer edges. That would make the tape a more difficult solution. There are tabs that snap the skirt into place along the entire length and at the front and back ends. If those tabs are compromised or not snapped in place the side skirt will likely stay protruding from the car body. You might want to try pushing on the skirt to see if you can get the tabs to reseat.

LilSilverBullet
08-12-2015, 08:36 AM
Hi LilSilverBullet,
I'm extremely sorry to hear about this. If you'd like any kind of assistance from a corporate standpoint in having these issues addressed by your local studio, please feel free to PM me your VIN#, contact info, and the name of the studio that you work with. I'd be happy to help in any way I can!

Thank you FiatCares. Right now the separation does not continue along the whole front edge of the side skirt just yet so I will keep an eye on it and address this with the local studio when I take it in for the first oil change.
I don't have to bring it to the studio that I bought, do I? I bought it from the studio that is 30-40 mins away (Criswell Fiat at Gaithersburgh, MD) but I have a local one which is only 5 minutes away (Safford Fiat at Tysons Corner, VA)

The contact surface of the adhesive tape used at factory assembly is less than 1/4" wide. I am not surprised that this could happen often.

LilSilverBullet
08-12-2015, 08:44 AM
I think that the entire rear surface of the skirt doesn't contact the car body - just the outer edges. That would make the tape a more difficult solution. There are tabs that snap the skirt into place along the entire length and at the front and back ends. If those tabs are compromised or not snapped in place the side skirt will likely stay protruding from the car body. You might want to try pushing on the skirt to see if you can get the tabs to reseat.

Thank you lammie200. Yes, I notice is some picture of the unpainted part that it has multiple tabs. I check them all and they are seated. May be the skirt itself warps at the front corner so it won't stay attached?

Trunkout
08-12-2015, 10:25 AM
Mine looked like that. Had fixed at dealer under warranty no issues since.

lammie200
08-12-2015, 12:23 PM
This pic might help you better understand how they are attached. Sealant or tape on the edges might not provide the best grip because there is very little contact at the edges. I think that best bet is to remove them and see why the tabs are not seating.18910

FiatCares
08-13-2015, 08:37 AM
Thank you FiatCares. Right now the separation does not continue along the whole front edge of the side skirt just yet so I will keep an eye on it and address this with the local studio when I take it in for the first oil change.
I don't have to bring it to the studio that I bought, do I? I bought it from the studio that is 30-40 mins away (Criswell Fiat at Gaithersburgh, MD) but I have a local one which is only 5 minutes away (Safford Fiat at Tysons Corner, VA)

The contact surface of the adhesive tape used at factory assembly is less than 1/4" wide. I am not surprised that this could happen often.

Warranty work can be completed at any FIAT studio :)