PDA

View Full Version : My 2013 has a coolant leak. Grrrr!

Crossfirecat
12-01-2012, 05:19 PM
I was doing my usual inspection under the good yesterday and noticed my coolant level was sitting just above the minimum mark. Then I noticed the hose coming from the coolant reservoir was wet. Upon closer inspection it became obvious that the hose is leaking. I dread taking the car to any studio at this point, As the fix will most likely be them putting a regular hose clamp on it. I'd rather do this myself and save the 30 mile trip to the nearest studio! The main issue right now is topping off the coolant. Mine is purple! Yes,purple! So a trip to the studio may be unavoidable at this point.

FTY
12-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Yeah its a fairly common thing, I sometimes get a dried residue around that line, every 500 I have worked on has it, I for see a major problem with it in the future once the coolant bottles start to age and dry out.

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
12-01-2012, 08:36 PM
I have added Fiat coolant and distilled H2o about pint in 6 months. Mine is sort of pink colored. It usually stays at the seem level or slightly lower.

Crossfirecat
12-02-2012, 12:27 AM
I have added Fiat coolant and distilled H2o about pint in 6 months. Mine is sort of pink colored. It usually stays at the seem level or slightly lower.

Is yours a 12 or 13? I was at the studio and all the 12's I saw had orange coolant. Mine is a deep purple color. When I asked about the difference I was told "it shouldn't matter what color coolant I use"! That sent up a red flag and I left. I'll probably have to track down the correct coolant part number and order it. I'm not allowing anyone with a "parts is parts" attitude touch my car. I see no point in getting something fixed under warrantee if its only going to lead to more issues!

12-02-2012, 09:01 AM
I have a 2012 model and orange is closer to the color of the coolant. I had to order online , not available locally.

Pinecone
12-02-2012, 09:40 AM
So you think that any coolant that is the same color is OK?

WOW.

You do know that the color is just that, a color additive, so you can tell the difference between it and water?

12-02-2012, 05:25 PM

WOW.

You do know that the color is just that, a color additive, so you can tell the difference between it and water?

No you should use Fiat Coolant (oat ) something

Wyo
12-02-2012, 07:23 PM
If you put the wrong stuff in it will be bad chrysler put out a tsb for all almost all 2013 models the fiat has a similar coolant .chrysler says mixing oat and hoat coolants turns them to a jello like consistency

Crossfirecat
12-02-2012, 07:49 PM
If you put the wrong stuff in it will be bad chrysler put out a tsb for all almost all 2013 models the fiat has a similar coolant .chrysler says mixing oat and hoat coolants turns them to a jello like consistency

Hence my reason for concern when given the "blow off" answer.

do33grs
12-03-2012, 09:24 AM
I have the same issue, have had to add coolant (I added yellow Zerex oat, says approved for Chrysler) 2x. Fiat is going to replace hose and reservoir, as well as coolant, which they noted as hoat. We tow our 2013 Abarth behind our RV and had the leak pointed out in Nebraska by Blue Ox when they fitted us for a base plate. We are now in Alabama and the studio is in Columbus GA. Original coolant is purple.

No abnormalities noted with coolant consistency, but I will feel better when the parts arrive and this leak is repaired.

Crossfirecat
12-11-2012, 03:48 PM
Update:
Dropping off my Abarth at the studio tommorow to get the leak fixed. Also going to have the do the oil change since I've hit 8,000 miles now. Oddly, I have yet to see the oil change light nor the "oil percentage monitor" come up either. I've been check oil weekly as I drive 120+ miles per day. It still looks(to the naked eye) clean and pale gold in color.

Pinecone
12-11-2012, 03:59 PM
2012 or 2013 model?

2013s can go to 10,000 miles on the oil, 2012s only 8,000.

FiatCares
12-12-2012, 11:23 AM
2012 or 2013 model?

Correct!

Crossfirecat
12-13-2012, 04:53 AM
2012 or 2013 model?

Thanks Pinecone and Jonathan!
I have a '13. My documentation states 8,000 miles suggested oil change and not to exceed 10,000 miles without an oil change. It is possble that my docs are for the 2012 model? I was told mine is one of the very first 13's to arrive. I'm not worried about it. Was just wondering at what point the oil monitoring system would begin to show the percentage left before requiring a change.
10k huh! Wow, and everyone thought I was nuts going 7500 miles between changes on my SRT6!

Pinecone
12-13-2012, 09:55 AM
10K is nothing these days. BMW starts with 15,525 miles to change, then adjusts down OR UP, depending on how you drive.

Still 12 months max though.

FiatCares
12-13-2012, 11:20 AM
Thanks Pinecone and Jonathan!
I have a '13. My documentation states 8,000 miles suggested oil change and not to exceed 10,000 miles without an oil change. It is possble that my docs are for the 2012 model? I was told mine is one of the very first 13's to arrive. I'm not worried about it. Was just wondering at what point the oil monitoring system would begin to show the percentage left before requiring a change.
10k huh! Wow, and everyone thought I was nuts going 7500 miles between changes on my SRT6!

You have the right docs.. that is correct for '13 (not to exceed 10,000 miles). The '12's say not to exceed 6 mos, 8,000 miles.

Crossfirecat
12-17-2012, 12:46 AM
Ok,
The coolant leak was due to the clamp not being fully compressed/tightened. We decided to wait on the oil change so we could see what type of info the EVIC would give once it determined it was time. Well I got the oil change warning tonight. At 8,790 miles, the center gauge lit brightly and simply stated "Have oil changed". I had assumed( I know I'll catch hell for that) that the 2013 gave a "percentage" value as you got close to needing the oil changed. No big deal, just thought some of you would like to know. My studio will be taking care of it in the morning. Sadly, I was informed that my 2013 does not include Fiat Forward Care. Apparently Fiat stopped providing that service back in January according to the service dept.

mjanowich
12-22-2012, 01:18 PM
Ok,
The coolant leak was due to the clamp not being fully compressed/tightened. We decided to wait on the oil change so we could see what type of info the EVIC would give once it determined it was time. Well I got the oil change warning tonight. At 8,790 miles, the center gauge lit brightly and simply stated "Have oil changed". I had assumed( I know I'll catch hell for that) that the 2013 gave a "percentage" value as you got close to needing the oil changed. No big deal, just thought some of you would like to know. My studio will be taking care of it in the morning. Sadly, I was informed that my 2013 does not include Fiat Forward Care. Apparently Fiat stopped providing that service back in January according to the service dept.

Which clamp wasn't tight enough? My wife's Abarth is leaking coolant. Is it the one that connects to the plastic coolant tank?

FiatOwner
12-22-2012, 03:21 PM
You have the right docs.. that is correct for '13 (not to exceed 10,000 miles). The '12's say not to exceed 6 mos, 8,000 miles.

I have taken my 2012 Fiat Pop in on the extended service plan that came with the car to have the oil changed every six months as directed, because I never hit the mileage required for oil changes. In other words, the six months time always expires first.

According to Chrysler's moparownercenter.com where my car is registered - the dealer has only changed the oil once since I took delivery of the car in September of 2011.

I've been taking the car in every six months, and they've always given me the impression they were changing the oil.

So far I have about 6500 miles on the car and Chrysler's records reflect that the oil was changed just once. I just discovered this on the moparownercenter.com yesterday.

I never get a copy of anything they've done under the extended service plan, they just have me sign a document and don't give me a copy of it, and now I think I know why!

I also never get a copy outlining the 23 point inspection or what they discovered when they did the inspection.

Chrysler records also don't reflect the dealer replaced the intermediate steering shaft.

So what's going on here? Why am I taking this car in every six months for oil changes if no one is changing the oil?

Jonathan?
VIN #3C3CFFAR5CT176520

12-22-2012, 03:24 PM
Mine has a crimped clamp no adjustment possible.:distress:

Wolfie
12-22-2012, 05:04 PM
Mine has a crimped clamp no adjustment possible.:distress:

Hate crimped clamps ... :rolleyes:

Pinecone
12-23-2012, 12:44 PM
I have taken my 2012 Fiat Pop in on the extended service plan that came with the car to have the oil changed every six months as directed, because I never hit the mileage required for oil changes. In other words, the six months time always expires first.

According to Chrysler's moparownercenter.com where my car is registered - the dealer has only changed the oil once since I took delivery of the car in September of 2011.

I've been taking the car in every six months, and they've always given me the impression they were changing the oil.

So far I have about 6500 miles on the car and Chrysler's records reflect that the oil was changed just once. I just discovered this on the moparownercenter.com yesterday.

I never get a copy of anything they've done under the extended service plan, they just have me sign a document and don't give me a copy of it, and now I think I know why!

I also never get a copy outlining the 23 point inspection or what they discovered when they did the inspection.

Chrysler records also don't reflect the dealer replaced the intermediate steering shaft.

So what's going on here? Why am I taking this car in every six months for oil changes if no one is changing the oil?

Jonathan?
VIN #3C3CFFAR5CT176520

ALWAYS, ALWAYS get a written copy of anything you sign and a completed service form that says what they have done.

Crossfirecat
12-23-2012, 03:36 PM
Which clamp wasn't tight enough? My wife's Abarth is leaking coolant. Is it the one that connects to the plastic coolant tank?

Yes, that's the one.

Andree
01-15-2013, 03:28 PM

Why did it change?

FiatCares
01-15-2013, 04:31 PM
Why did it change?

Not really clear why it changed.. my guess it that most use synthetic oil. As long as you follow the maintenance requirements of the vehicle you own, and keep any maintenance related documentation, there should never be a question or doubt of maintenance or 'lack thereof' and thats what you want to avoid...

Pinecone
01-16-2013, 03:49 PM
Probably for the 2012s, no on thought about the Abarths requiring synthetic oil, so they just went with the same oil change interval as the other models.

For, 2013, someone got the clue.

Now to be REALLY proactive, Fiat ought to extend the oil change interval to 12 months on the 2012 Abarths. It is just a paperwork deal, a letter to the owners would be sufficient.

djhace
02-14-2013, 10:34 PM
noted mine '13 has just above min level cooling. going to check that clamp and pass the fiat studio tomorrow. see if they can help out even do i bought it at an other fiat studio.

Abarth Phreak
02-14-2013, 11:35 PM
Any pics of the leak? I notice coolant dried on the top of mine...level down. Not sure if this is the described leak or not.

djhace
02-15-2013, 02:06 PM
noted mine '13 has just above min level cooling. going to check that clamp and pass the fiat studio tomorrow. see if they can help out even do i bought it at an other fiat studio.

okay. mine was fine. no problem. the system got from top to bottom depending if its hot or not. normal behavior.

hownowcb
02-15-2013, 03:38 PM
Any pics of the leak? I notice coolant dried on the top of mine...level down. Not sure if this is the described leak or not.

That's the one. I noticed it on mine at around 2500 miles. The leak on mine hadn't been significant enough to add more coolant. You can simply replace the crimped-on hose clamp with a stainless steel screw-type yourself, or have your studio do it for you. No charge, since it's covered by the warranty.

Jjm4life
02-15-2013, 06:20 PM
Took off my front bumper only to find a pool of coolant. Looks like i have a leak too. Seems to be from the overflow bottle

Crossfirecat
03-01-2013, 08:53 PM
I was just in for my second oil change last week. I pointed out my coolant level is a 1/4 inch below the min mark. I was told that's just normal use. Don't even get me started on the damage to my wheels after having the tires changed. I'll never return to the Studio again. Treated like I'm ignorant, Tech doesn't know how to remove/install tires without damaging factory wheels. Oil filter housing looks untouched but oil was changed? I paid for a filter but worry now that it wasn't replaced. Most certainly not going back to let them do more damage.

Sorry, got a bit off the subject there! Rant mode off...

Abarth Phreak
03-02-2013, 01:01 AM
That's the one. I noticed it on mine at around 2500 miles. The leak on mine hadn't been significant enough to add more coolant. You can simply replace the crimped-on hose clamp with a stainless steel screw-type yourself, or have your studio do it for you. No charge, since it's covered by the warranty.

Ahhh..okay thanks. I noticed this within the first couple weeks of owning it. (less than 500 miles)

div2
03-04-2013, 12:03 AM
10K is nothing these days. BMW starts with 15,525 miles to change, then adjusts down OR UP, depending on how you drive.

Still 12 months max though.

Exactly; I've had multiple used oil analysis performed on my Mazda, X3, and ti, and in every case a 10,000 mile change interval was more than adequate- when using the correct viscosity of Mobil 1 at any rate.

LoveThisCar
03-15-2018, 04:25 PM

WOW.

I'm not sure where you got your information, but there are differences between the different types of antifreeze other than their colors. Please research this topic further so that you don't accidentally cause damage to your cooling system.

Ando
03-15-2018, 05:48 PM
I'm not sure where you got your information, but there are differences between the different types of antifreeze other than their colors. Please research this topic further so that you don't accidentally cause damage to your cooling system.

I'm not even going to touch that one... XD

Welcome to the forum!

Klasse Act
03-15-2018, 05:48 PM
While my car was under warranty they found a bad clamp and it was replaced, check that out first as well as that little hose and maybe the tank, wasn't there an issue with the tanks at some point?

orlin
12-12-2018, 02:20 AM
OP 12-01-2012

I was doing my usual inspection under the good yesterday and noticed my coolant level was sitting just above the minimum mark. Then I noticed the hose coming from the coolant reservoir was wet. Upon closer inspection it became obvious that the hose is leaking. I dread taking the car to any studio at this point, As the fix will most likely be them putting a regular hose clamp on it. I'd rather do this myself and save the 30 mile trip to the nearest studio! The main issue right now is topping off the coolant. Mine is purple! Yes,purple! So a trip to the studio may be unavoidable at this point.

My 2017 car has the exact same issue!!

Unbelievable Fiat did not address the problem in cars coming out five years later!!!

streetsurfer
12-13-2018, 01:09 AM
Its often just a matter of the hoses shrinking from age after the first year or so. Clamps need tightened, but they dont use adjustable clamps. Hose shrinks in thickness, fluids leak. You can install an adjustable clamp after cleaning up any casting flashing from the mold seam of tank spout.

orlin
12-13-2018, 01:35 AM
Its often just a matter of the hoses shrinking from age after the first year or so. Clamps need tightened, but they dont use adjustable clamps. Hose shrinks in thickness, fluids leak. You can install an adjustable clamp after cleaning up any casting flashing from the mold seam of tank spout.

Yes, I can absolutely install new adjustable clamp, but why not have an adjustable clamp out of the factory, especially if it's known issue!? Mine actually started leaking before my car was year old, bought new.

There are many people out there who wouldn't be able to do it, have to drain some coolant have simple tools etc. and would have to go to the dealer and leave the car for at least couple of days, because, btw, the dealers don't even have that clamp in stock (ask me how I know?)

Hmm wonder why Fiat still has a bad reputation.

I love the car but this is PATHETIC!!!