PDA

View Full Version : Condensation in tail light.

lagallinavecchia
11-30-2012, 08:55 AM
So, I come back from the dealer yesterday (after not getting my new registration on time) and notice after I pull into the garage some condensation in the left tail light...

Anyone else see this? Is this another trip back to the dealer?

On a side note, I saw the new Turbo, and the darker border on the front and tail lights would be a welcome swap on my car.

Haring
11-30-2012, 09:17 AM
I haven't seen any condensation on mine but plan on switching to the turbo tails anyways :D They aren't that expensive...just a long wait for them to come in:
http://moparonlineparts.com/fiat-500t-black-bezel-taillamps-p-3754.html

lagallinavecchia
11-30-2012, 09:21 AM
I haven't seen any condensation on mine but plan on switching to the turbo tails anyways :D They aren't that expensive...just a long wait for them to come in:
http://moparonlineparts.com/fiat-500t-black-bezel-taillamps-p-3754.html

Thanks for the link... Merry Christmas to me.

Are you putting them in yourself or letting the stealer do it?

Haring
11-30-2012, 09:30 AM
It's only 2 screws (the ones you see with hatch open) and then a plug so doing them myself. Should take 15 minutes. Not sure when they'll arrive. Ordered 11/7 and haven't received a "shipping" email yet. Hopefully they'll be worth the wait.

You might want to still have the dealership look at the bad tail light. Then if you sell or end up putting the chrome ones back on you'll know they're good. Otherwise you might forget and then be out of warranty and stuck with bad tails :D

lagallinavecchia
11-30-2012, 09:33 AM
It's only 2 screws (the ones you see with hatch open) and then a plug so doing them myself. Should take 15 minutes. Not sure when they'll arrive. Ordered 11/7 and haven't received a "shipping" email yet. Hopefully they'll be worth the wait.

Nice!
They should be the same for the Abarth, right? I assumed so, which is why I didn't post specifically in the Abarth forum.

Haring
11-30-2012, 09:55 AM
Yup, they're the same.

Dwaynek
11-30-2012, 10:26 AM
Have some moisture in mine haven't raised with the dealership yet.

lagallinavecchia
12-01-2012, 09:37 AM
Have some moisture in mine haven't raised with the dealership yet.
I'm bringing it in Monday. Not taking the chance that it could go bad so soon after picking up the car...

milkdud
12-03-2012, 12:05 AM
I also noticed condensation in my Pop this AM.

luckymoi
12-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Right side had condensation after I washed Bambino today.
Will sort on the next service.
Thanks for the heads up Folks.

Raspy
12-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Yep, left tail light has had a bit of condensation in it after heavy rain or washing. It seems to go away though, but I plan to bring it up next time.

William M Jacocks Jr
12-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Actually, condensation is normal. Every vehicle I had gets a little condensation inside the lens especially down here in warm and muggy Louisiana, the vehicle actually acts as a magnet to moisture on cool nights where the moisture is high. Don't think there is much you can do about it except be ready to replace it when it finally gets a bit of a tarnish on the inside.

mpchi
12-04-2012, 03:40 PM
My wife's Pop has condensation on both tail lights after a short drive last night when the weather is a bit cold. Almost same amount on both light. Was wondering if I got a pair of faulty taillights (car is 200 miles new). But sound like it is a common issue here and stumble across this thread. Maybe I can swing by the dealership late night one of these days and see if all the other 500s there has some.

luckymoi
12-05-2012, 01:13 AM
Next day, the condensation after the car wash is gone.

William M Jacocks Jr
12-05-2012, 07:47 AM
There are vents in the tail light sections. This allows pressure due to the lights producing heat. The side affect is moisture.

Thad
12-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Water should never get into a light housing. I noticed it on my car shortly after taking delivery and they changed it out. I have never seen condensation since. Get it changed under warranty before they accuse you of cracking the housing.

lagallinavecchia
12-07-2012, 04:34 PM
Water should never get into a light housing. I noticed it on my car shortly after taking delivery and they changed it out. I have never seen condensation since. Get it changed under warranty before they accuse you of cracking the housing.

I'm with Thad on this one... dealer swapped it out yesterday. I don't think this should be acceptable for any reason.

mojohand40
12-08-2012, 10:12 AM
yep. I got condensation on one side (left). A lot! If it was normal it would be on both sides..arghhh. Another thing to go back to the dealer for. Only about 600 miles on this car.

mojohand40
12-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Okay, I just got back from the dealer for a different issue then condensation, but asked them about it, since mine had some on one side (which is mostly gone now).
The service manager told me that he's seen it a few times and Fiat knows that it happens sometimes. He said he's replaced the taillight assembly for some folks, and some of those came back a week later with the same issue. He advised me that if it wasn't bad, which now it appears to be fine, then to just wait and see if it gets worse or if both of them start doing it, as perhaps by then they will have a real fix for the problem from Fiat. Not totally sure what that means. Maybe just a better sealed/vented unit?
Anyway, if it's a problem the dealers will replace them if you insist. I'm going to not worry at the moment.

jasonL
12-11-2012, 09:01 AM
Yes. I noticed condensation in the left tail light of my 2102 Lounge this past weekend, for the very first time. Was there in the evening at the top of the lamp, about the size of a thumb print. But it was gone in the morning. And it was in the left lamp only.

I had never noticed this before, but this is now early December and I purchased the car in September.

FYI - I live in southern California.

- JL

FiatCares
12-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Yes. I noticed condensation in the left tail light of my 2102 Lounge this past weekend, for the very first time. Was there in the evening at the top of the lamp, about the size of a thumb print. But it was gone in the morning. And it was in the left lamp only.

I had never noticed this before, but this is now early December and I purchased the car in September.

FYI - I live in southern California.

- JL

Jason: I recommend having your studio check it out during your next maintenance visit.

lagallinavecchia
12-12-2012, 10:50 AM
Mine is the right now too -- no idea why they didn't just do both............................... :-/

500Turbo
12-30-2012, 11:55 PM
I've noticed my 500T doing this with both taillights so it's also prevalent in the 2013 models as well.

Pinecone
12-31-2012, 05:21 AM
Realize, tail light assemblies are NOT sealed units. They have to breath to equalize pressures.

So in the fall, when we have cool nights with fog (airbrone condensation), as the tail light cools, it sucks in that moist air. And when it cools more, that moisture condenses out. When the tail light gets warm, the condensation evaporates. And with a few cycles with drier air, most of the moisture will be purged.

The issue, IMO, is that where the condensation occurs in the Fiat tail lights is VERY visible. It happened to mine a few weeks ago one cold morning. And it went away. And has not come back.