PDA

View Full Version : Engine Break-In Recommendations

djhace
11-30-2012, 03:57 AM
i am not suppose to go faster then 45mph for the first 60 miles?
fu, i already gone 70mph. should i be worried? (i am)

bryanintowson
11-30-2012, 09:48 AM
The owners manual actually details the correct engine break-in procedure. I believe they want you to limit your speed to under 60mph for a while as well as keep the revs down as low as possible.

jguerdat
11-30-2012, 10:00 AM
I didn't see the speed prohibition until after I got my car home, driving it lightly on the expressway. I haven't experienced any problems so far (4500 miles). I would have expected maybe oil consumption to be the main issue but I've barely used any.

djhace
11-30-2012, 03:54 PM
i talked with a few peeps, it's isn't speed that's the issue. it's the RPM. so i am not rev. it over 4k.
first oil change at 600 or 1000 miles?

scorpion_king
11-30-2012, 05:12 PM
drive it like you stole it..... i dont believe it the babying the car to a certain miles

Berliner
11-30-2012, 05:20 PM
I drove my 500C like it was stolen. No Problems here .

Pronto
11-30-2012, 05:31 PM
Don't think you have much to worry about. There is some evidence that a new car (before you hit 60miles) should be pushed a little by shifting up a "little too early" to sort of 'strain" the engine and thus help to seat the valve seals. Sorry, I dont have the technical terms to explain but it has been covered on this forum quite a bit. Of course you are long past the first 60 miles, but just enjoy your cinquacento!

scorpion_king
11-30-2012, 09:36 PM
the engine on all new cars are put on a dnyo and tested hard before puttin them into the cars. nutting to worry about. me and one of my friends have abarths and bought them around the same time. he babied his car with the instructions in the owners manuel and i didnt. my car pulls on his car atleast half a car

Pinecone
12-01-2012, 08:41 AM
1) Not all engines are tested hard on a dyno before putting them into cars. Some manufacturers do, some do not.

2) That is easily the difference between any two cars off the assembly line. Or even the driver can make that much of a difference. Did you ever try swapping cars and see who wins?

But for seating the RINGS (not the valves) you do need cylinder pressures, which means higher throttle opening. But for the bearings and other driveling components, you want to limit torque and RPM. So any break in a compromise.

And if you do it wrong, you might not see the affects for a while, as it might show up as shorter life of components or less performance.

scorpion_king
12-01-2012, 05:39 PM
[QUOTE=Pinecone;582697]1)

2) That is easily the difference between any two cars off the assembly line. Or even the driver can make that much of a difference. Did you ever try swapping cars and see who wins?

ya we swapped cars same thing my car pulls harder than his

FTY
12-02-2012, 02:26 AM
There's basically two way to do it....drive it hard off the bat and seat the rings or drive it nice and easy and let everything settle in...bearing, camshafts etc. Id say about half of us here drove it hard out of the showroom and the rest did as per the manual. So far as I can remember only two people reported catastrophic engine issues.

Pinecone
12-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Good that you did that and removed at least one variable. Still could be just the difference in cars off the line.

Cars meeting specs can be a difference of as much as 10% HP, depending on the manufacturer.

djhace
12-04-2012, 04:03 PM
thanks for all the replies. +1