PDA

View Full Version : Shifting issue

D-abarth
11-29-2012, 11:42 PM
Hey FIATtisti I have a 2013 Abarth for almost four weeks with little over 500 miles, couple of days ago while driving around it felt like something loosend on the shifter and now I noticed that has some play on it. Now shifting into 1 or 5 it's not as smooth as it was before. I will call the dealership tomorrow to schedule an appointment
Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Grazie in anticipo.

Berliner
11-30-2012, 12:47 AM
HHm with 500 Miles on the Clock the Shifter is abit loose i would say your Abarth is no longer a Virgin........ LOL Keep us posted what the Dealer has to say

Crazy Otto
12-02-2012, 09:55 PM
Ive had progressive difficulty shifting and I took thecar to the dealer. Wait to hear what they will find.

Tweak
12-02-2012, 10:17 PM
2013 Abarth here and I do not have the same problem you describe but I think it is rather odd how I feel a slight clunk type deal when going into reverse, it may be normal but it seems a little odd, I am not moving at the time so I do not think it is a fault I create by shifting while moving, the clutch is fully depressed so maybe there are some shifting issues to be addressed. It does not happen every time but it does happen often and I do not have to force it so I am assuming it might just be normal, first manual FIAT and the other manual car I drive is such a different animal I can't begin to compare the two. Figured I would add this info just in case it helps expand on this issue or anyone else notices the same occurrence.

William M Jacocks Jr
12-03-2012, 08:07 AM
Tweak, if you rev the engine, then engage the clutch to shift to reverse you will get that clunk even if you are not moving. Wait until the engine settles down and it should shift easier. My only problem is shifting from 4-5 and it seems 5 is much further over than I thought and I have to push it over instead of sliding it up to engage.

Pinecone
12-03-2012, 10:57 AM
Yes, reverse is not synchronized.

So either depress the clutch pedal and wait a bit or shift into 5th, then into reverse to stop the gears from moving.

luckymoi
12-03-2012, 02:38 PM
There was a yellow tag attached to many of the manual cars stating how to engage reverse (all of them I saw).
There was also an RRT put out as I recall.

Think of it as a street legal race car, it has a trick transmission that needs a racer's procedure to engage reverse.
That car is so fast going forward it needs a special method for reverse.

FiatCares
12-03-2012, 03:23 PM
Ive had progressive difficulty shifting and I took thecar to the dealer. Wait to hear what they will find.

Let me know what transpires and if you need any further assistance.

Crazy Otto
12-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Let me know what transpires and if you need any further assistance.
Failed or failing shifter cable. None anywhere in usa. Dealer is contacting italy.can you help
?

Tweak
12-03-2012, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the replies, it may very well be not letting the engine "settle" down, I'll pay closer attention and see how it plays out. :) I'm just in such a hurry to drive I guess...hehe.

djhace
12-03-2012, 09:03 PM
at one point it was hard to go from 5th to 4th but that might just has been a user error. hah. i been driving automatic for way to long time. :-)
i hope nothing is wrong though.

William M Jacocks Jr
12-03-2012, 09:44 PM
This is much better for reverse gear than the old 850 (1968 era) where you had to put it in neutral, PUSH down on the shifter then push right and back all the while holding the shifter down. LOL

Tweak
12-03-2012, 11:28 PM
This is much better for reverse gear than the old 850 (1968 era) where you had to put it in neutral, PUSH down on the shifter then push right and back all the while holding the shifter down. LOL

Sounds like the 69 VW Beetle I once had as well.

jguerdat
12-04-2012, 08:34 AM
Well, to be accurate, it's the transmission that needs to settle down/stop rotating. Of course, if you blip the throttle before pushing the clutch in, more time is needed for rotation to stop.

FiatCares
12-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Failed or failing shifter cable. None anywhere in usa. Dealer is contacting italy.can you help
?

Please PM with your VIN, studio name and the part number for the shift cable (if you have it). Im not sure what I can do if the part was ordered internationally, buit I can sure look into it.

Crazy Otto
12-05-2012, 09:26 PM
Jonathan the cable will arrive on the 13th. I'm in a loaner yellow cabrio. I swear Im growing breasts. It converts testosterone to estrogen.

VTEC Mini
12-06-2012, 02:16 AM
Jonathan the cable will arrive on the 13th. I'm in a loaner yellow cabrio. I swear Im growing breasts. It converts testosterone to estrogen.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing021.gif

FiatCares
12-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Jonathan the cable will arrive on the 13th. I'm in a loaner yellow cabrio. I swear Im growing breasts. It converts testosterone to estrogen.

haha Im glad i was able to expedite the cable. Let me know if u start feeling emotional. ;) We can chat

Crazy Otto
12-06-2012, 02:45 PM
haha Im glad i was able to expedite the cable. Let me know if u start feeling emotional. ;) We can chat
Did you help really? Thanks

FiatCares
12-06-2012, 04:00 PM
Did you help really? Thanks

I just made some calls to make sure it arrived.. no biggie.. got into it a bit late but I hoped I helped.

D-abarth
12-07-2012, 06:59 PM
My dealership told my that everything its normal, I'm not saying that its not normal but what I was trying to tell them was that for the first 500 miles shifting was very smooth and the shifter was nice and firm (no play what so ever)
Just don't know what to do. hope its just me being worry for the new car.
But even that the ride its been a blast.

Crazy Otto
12-07-2012, 10:06 PM
My dealership told my that everything its normal, I'm not saying that its not normal but what I was trying to tell them was that for the first 500 miles shifting was very smooth and the shifter was nice and firm (no play what so ever)

This may be similar to my issue. Did they check the shifter cable? Perhaps my dealers service dpt can provide some counsel- Tom at executive fiat Wallingford CT. Google for phone #.

Crazy Otto
12-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Just picked up the car and its better than new. I had a slight hangup when going from 5th to 4th thats no longer there. Everything engages smoothly no notchyness and gates well defined.

Crazy Otto
01-17-2013, 07:32 PM
Jonathan- fiat cares. You have PM. Thx.

Crazy Otto
01-17-2013, 07:33 PM
D abarth how was this resolved?