PDA

View Full Version : Trouble for the Abarth...

VTEC Mini
11-29-2012, 05:18 AM
I just read on my Motor Trend Ap that Ford is bring the Fiesta ST for sure to the U.S. With 197 HP and 214 LB/ FT on tap this could be trouble.... It is debuting at the L.A. Auto Show with the new "Aston Martin grill" so I will be checking it out.

11-29-2012, 06:43 AM
Why trouble? HP stats are not all there is to it!! From what Ive seen and read I already know I wont be swapping my Abarth!

VTEC Mini
11-29-2012, 07:49 AM
Why trouble? HP stats are not all there is to it!! From what Ive seen and read I already know I wont be swapping my Abarth!

Because it is one more car to compete in a tight segment. My statement isn't about you. Its about those that are in the majority who are doing cross shopping in a small hot hatch segment that are looking at the Abarth, MINI, GTI, Sonic RS, Turbo Beetle, FR-S/ BR-Z, and now Fiesta ST. Those such as yourself and me there is no question but we make up the minority of sales. The majority on the other hand, look at all aspects; cost, performance, standard and available options, fuel mileage, looks, and comfort and practicality.

William M Jacocks Jr
11-29-2012, 08:10 AM
Nah, while the Focus may or may not be better, there are enough of them on the road so the Abarth will still be unique. I have heard the Focus has no "heart" like the Abarth does. So, nothing to worry about.

Zack Hurst
11-29-2012, 09:31 AM
If anything its a HELP to the Abarth... just one more car to say that we're better than! :) Nothing is going to touch the emotional appeal of these cars. I just sat in the one we have in the back room, turned it on (my first time in an Abarth btw...) and literally said, "Holy ****". Why? Because I had a big smile on my face and haven't wiped it off yet. The sound is amazing. The interior is amazing. You're not going to beat the value of this car.

Pinecone
11-29-2012, 09:41 AM
New GTI is more in the class of the MazdaSpeed3 and Focus ST and WRX. Much larger car, higher HP, but MUCH lower gas mileage.

Fiesta ST might be interesting. But it will still be a Ford. :)

And dyno of Abarths show that they seem to be making more than rated HP, while most cars, the "rated" HP is the highest they saw in any testing.

11-29-2012, 09:42 AM
Mass produced soulless car with terrible plastic interior OR rare iconic well built future classic???

Mmmm!? There are people that need transport, there are people that like to drive. Either way I wont be losing sleep over it, two threads on it??? That IS troublesome ;)

Robert Nixon
11-29-2012, 11:26 AM
I would have to guess that the Abarth market is so small, that the real competition is in the regular 500 VS. the Fiesta, Chevy Sonic, Hyundai, Mini, Yaris, Versa in the "cheapest car in the US" market.

Berliner
11-30-2012, 02:02 AM
Hate to say it that new Ford St is a bloody ugly looking Car. If the Torque Hp keeps your Gearheads up at Night go for it. The 500 is not perfect nore is the Abarth. I opted out on the new 2012 Mb Slk R172 because that Nose gave me the creeps and so did several other Mb Modells. Yep i got a 500 because i am tired driving around in a Car that looks ugly and Carmakers charge us a pretty Penny for there cool Design. Lets face it how many 500,s and Abarths do you see on the Road daily and how many ugly Cars are next to your Fiat on the Highway......

Kids at my Teens School dig the 500 and it is not even an Abarth

BigDaddySRT
11-30-2012, 08:40 AM
Hate to say it that new Ford Srt is a bloody ugly looking Car. If the Torque Hp keeps your Gearheads up at Night go for it. The 500 is not perfect nore is the Abarth. I opted out on the new 2012 Mb Slk R172 because that Nose gave me the creeps and so did several other Mb Modells. Yep i got a 500 because i am tired driving around in a Car that looks ugly and Carmakers charge us a pretty Penny for there cool Design. Lets face it how many 500,s and Abarths do you see on the Road daily and how many ugly Cars are next to your Fiat on the Highway......

Kids at my Teens School dig the 500 and it is not even an Abarth

Please don't put "SRT" with FORD.

It's either a Focus ST, or a Fiesta ST... no SRT in any of those vehicles.

Starik
11-30-2012, 04:16 PM
It's not trouble, it's competition. The Abarth can be improved, and this may get them to do it.

littlejohn
11-30-2012, 08:38 PM
Well if the planned 3000 unit/yr? production stays the same for 2013, should not mean much at all. They were sold out last model year, so...one who wants an Abarth will buy one...what will be will be.

Berliner
11-30-2012, 08:43 PM
Sorry big Daddy I stand corrected.

VTEC Mini
12-01-2012, 03:53 AM
Mass produced soulless car with terrible plastic interior OR rare iconic well built future classic???
Thats highly debatable

Well if the planned 3000 unit/yr? production stays the same for 2013, should not mean much at all. They were sold out last model year, so...one who wants an Abarth will buy one...what will be will be.There is still 12's sitting on the lots here in So Cal.

kcwhite
06-30-2013, 07:34 PM
I have a 1972 850 Spider sitting next to a 2013 Abarth 500c. Miss your 850?

Tweak
06-30-2013, 07:59 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Andree
06-30-2013, 09:33 PM
Last I read, it was the five door ST not the three door in the US. Like the Honda Fit. Very different car.

http://www.racetech0722.com/?p=554

http://www.leftlanenews.com/new-car-buying/ford/fiesta/

Here's the old comparison of the five-doors, Honda Fit, Ford Fiesta, Mazda 2:
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2011-ford-fiesta-vs-2010-honda-fit-2011-mazda-2-comparison-test

Don't worry about the Siesta!

And go listen to an older song by Kenny Rogers "The Gambler"

On a warm summer's eve
On a train bound for nowhere
I met up with the gambler
We were both too tired to sleep
So we took turns a-starin'
Out the window at the darkness
The boredom overtook us, and he began to speak

He said, "Son, I've made my life
Out of readin' people's faces
Knowin' what the cards were
By the way they held their eyes
So if you don't mind my sayin'
I can see you're out of aces
For a taste of your whiskey
I'll give you some advice"

So I handed him my bottle
And he drank down my last swallow
Then he bummed a cigarette
And asked me for a light
And the night got deathly quiet
And his faced lost all expression
He said, "If you're gonna play the game, boy
You gotta learn to play it right

You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
Know when to run
You never count your money
When you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin'
When the dealin's done

Now every gambler knows the secret to survivin'
Is knowin' what to throw away
And knowin' what to keep
'Cause every hand's a winner
And every hand's a loser
And the best that you can hope for
Is to die in your sleep"

So when he finished speakin'
He turned back for the window
Crushed out his cigarette
And faded off to sleep then somewhere in the darkness
The gambler he broke even,
but in his final words
I found an ace that I could keep

Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
know when to run
When the dealin's done

(When to hold 'em)
Know when to fold 'em
(When to fold 'em)
Know when to walk away
know when to run
When the dealin's done

Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
know when to run
When the dealin's done

Chico Valdez
07-01-2013, 12:57 AM
ST. Friggin' ugly.
And I say this as a Fox-body Mustang owner.
At least the Fiat is cute.

Seafarer61
07-01-2013, 05:09 AM
Rare that I've seen a car more transformed than the Fiesta ST. In five-door, which is the American version, it looks bland. However, the three-door looks much nicer. Not as stylish as the 500 but still a good looking three-door. Why Ford continues to keep all the good stuff in Europe is beyond me.
http://www.contracthireandleasing.com/cms-images/New-Ford-Fiesta-ST-13-plate.jpg

William M Jacocks Jr
07-01-2013, 07:28 AM

Hell yes! :banghead:I miss my dad's old 1968 850! :dispirited:

But, I do love my 2013 Abarth!:thumbsup:

BigT
07-01-2013, 07:37 AM
I'm honestly kinda ready to see what the SRT team did with the Dart to be honest. The focus ST looks like dook and the fiesta I can't imagine is much better.

lagallinavecchia
07-01-2013, 08:27 AM
Fiesta ST might be interesting. But it will still be a Ford. :)

...and there it is.

2300cc
07-01-2013, 08:39 AM
...and there it is.

Yeah, I mean we are driving FIAT's, the company that was coined "Fix it Again Tony". I love my Abarth, but we have to be real, I have owned many Fords without any issuesin the past and Ford has a very extensive race history at least show some respect.

jguerdat
07-01-2013, 08:59 AM

Mine's a '70... ;)

808Abarth
07-02-2013, 02:45 AM
AHHHHH NOOOOOO! this thing is sooo friken fast! and handles like a beast stock!!!
check out TOP GEAR season 20 episode 1. Just released 6/30/13 so its like brand new.
Its a full race with 3 small 1.6l turbo and this was one of them. Its really friken quick and really dam stable. It looks really impressive... well the stig was behind the wheel. heh
yeah idk. This little abarth needs some mods.
Springs, Intake HERE I COME!

p38wannabe
07-02-2013, 04:15 AM
so? Slap the MM ECU in your Abarth and you have 200 hp on tap - add the BMC airfilter or an CAI and the go pedal and I am sure the Abarth can keep up just fine but then again for me its not all about the HP, its about how the car drives and feels and its def. way more unique in many ways and that is what appeals to me over a ST any day ... cheers

lagallinavecchia
07-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Yeah, I mean we are driving FIAT's, the company that was coined "Fix it Again Tony". I love my Abarth, but we have to be real, I have owned many Fords without any issuesin the past and Ford has a very extensive race history at least show some respect.

Respect?? Sure, they have a racing pedigree but their production car lineup is a snoozefest. I like cars and motorcycles with some personality. It's personal preference.

2300cc
07-02-2013, 10:55 AM
Respect?? Sure, they have a racing pedigree but their production car lineup is a snoozefest. I like cars and motorcycles with some personality. It's personal preference.

Snoozefest? The fusion not my cup of tea but is supposed to be a very entertaining car to drive for a family sedan, they have pickup trucks with twin turbo V6s that are also great performers, they make the GT500 which has the highest horsepower production engine currently made, they have the Focus ST, now the Fiesta ST, lets not forget the Mustang GT with 420 Hp and the V6 Mustang with over 300 HP. And that is not even getting into their european offerings. So yes I think they deserve some respect, maybe a few years ago I would agree that their offerings were a "snoozefest" but not any longer.

but yes it comes to personal preference, personally I bought the Abarth for its soul, but the Fiesta ST sure sounds like it has some of its own soul to offer even if it is not as stylish the the FIAT.

davidjon_99
07-02-2013, 12:31 PM

And Ford has been coined with "Found On Road Dead", "Fix Or Repair Daily", etc. I've owned a number of cars and have never had much luck with Fords. My first new car was a 1986 Ford Escourt GT. Left me stranded three times in the first year and the head gasket started leaking in the second year I owned it. My wife's 1991 Windstar went through one engine (head gasket failure), three transmissions and three radiators (developed leaks on the engine side, not from rocks hitting it). Would have sold it for scrap had it not been for Ford customer service. They replaced the parts and were very good to deal with, but you shouldn't have to go through all that trouble in the first place. My dad (who is known for buying crap cars) had a new Ford pickup (forget the year model) that had an inline 6cyl that could hardly go 55mph. The paint just about completely pealed off or faded so bad in the few years he owned it that you could hardly tell what color it was. The dash powderized if you touched it and the truck would catch fire if a leaf or paper went into the fresh air vent.

We all have horror stories about all the different car manufacturers. I, personally, won't even look at a Ford when I'm planning to buy a car.

Anyway, say whatever you want about Fiat but my mom's 1971 Fiat 124 Spider never had those kind of problems.

There's always going to be a sexier, faster, prettier car out there, but it's not always going to treat you right.

p.s Forgot one... Failed On Race Day. gr_grin

2300cc
07-02-2013, 01:14 PM
And Ford has been coined with "Found On Road Dead", "Fix Or Repair Daily", etc.....

Or.... First On Race Day ;). Yes to each there own, but I don't think there should be any bashing for any brand of car, as most car manufacturers have made some pretty great models and some not so great models (Cough Ferrari Mondial Cough). So we should all just respect the cars for what they are and enjoy them!

Happy motoring.

div2
07-03-2013, 12:53 AM
The Fiesta ST is a very nice hot hatch, but I'm sticking with European and Japanese manufacturers, thanks...

djhace
07-03-2013, 05:45 PM
i like the FIESTA more then FOCUS, still it looks similar to a Honda FIT. A bit soul less, yes.
Also the FIESTA should be 3-door. not 5.

FTY
07-03-2013, 08:06 PM
i like the FIESTA more then FOCUS, still it looks similar to a Honda FIT. A bit soul less, yes.
Also the FIESTA should be 3-door. not 5.

Agreed, I think the 500 has classic/timeless styling unlike the focus or fiesta. It is a great hatch but I cant say Id fall in love with it.