PDA

View Full Version : fuel mileage was 44mpg for first 3 months and then went down to 36

mona
11-27-2012, 03:00 PM
I got my fiat pop in May and averaged 43-44 mpg until July. Then it went down to around 36, doing the same kind of driving, combo of city and highway. The dealer service department doesn't believe I was getting 44, and refuses to look into it because it's not a "oroblem" - fiat's aren't supposed to get mileage that high. They say it gets lower in the cold, but it was cold in may and warm in July. Anyone know what to adjust to get the mileage back up to that lovely 44mpg? If it did it once it should be able to do it again.

Felnus
11-27-2012, 03:25 PM
Check your tire pressure. It may be low but not low enough to set off the TPMS.

pxpaulx
11-27-2012, 05:13 PM
Tire pressure definitely a factor - also, cold weather (below freezing) and winter gas blend will both cause all vehicles to get lower gas mileage, generally I have pegged the decline to be about 10-15% over a number of cars we have owned (between my wife and I we have owned 13 cars in almost as many years). It has finally been cold here in MN (not sure where you are located, but it has been down as low as 10 degrees F), and sure enough my mpg has dropped. Also, I wouldn't consider temperatures in May to be cold as far as vehicles go, unless you are from a more temperate part of the country (though the temperate areas are never that cold to begin with!).

Also, how do you know it was truly 44mpg? The dash reading can (and often is) be wrong, and is typically on the high side of actual. I find my gauge is typically 1mpg optimistic, sometimes upto 1.5mpg over what I actuall calculate (you can see all my calculate mpg in my signature link at fuelly.com, which is btw a great site for tracking your mileage!).

FiatCACares
11-27-2012, 05:38 PM
I got my fiat pop in May and averaged 43-44 mpg until July. Then it went down to around 36, doing the same kind of driving, combo of city and highway. The dealer service department doesn't believe I was getting 44, and refuses to look into it because it's not a "oroblem" - fiat's aren't supposed to get mileage that high. They say it gets lower in the cold, but it was cold in may and warm in July. Anyone know what to adjust to get the mileage back up to that lovely 44mpg? If it did it once it should be able to do it again.

Mona,

As Felnus and Pxpaulx mentioned, under-inflation increases tire rolling resistance and results in higher fuel consumption, as well as the use of the ac/heater, being caught in traffic, long idle times, quick acceleration etc. If you are not satisfied with the response from your servicing studio, you can always get a second opinion at an alternate Studio location.

Let me know if you have any additional inquiries.

Jimbo
01-23-2013, 05:37 PM
I too have a 2012 pop, and have just calculated my average fuel miliage since purchase, with a little over 2,000 on the clock now. My average is: 38.3 mpg. This is all types of driving, mostly rural roads though. I am VERY satisfied with my pop. At 3,000, i plan to switch to full Mobile-1 synthetic, this may increase the miliage also. Also, most of the time i change gears around 2000, or 2500, however once in a while i just get the "urge" to wind this little baby out.. you just can't help yourself. I really like the sound of that exhaust.