PDA

View Full Version : Drove a 500T..Nice Pick it Up if you can swing it.

littlejohn
11-22-2012, 05:18 PM
Drove a 500T with Leather and really liked it...and that is coming off renting a Auto Trans Pop with 30K miles, which was horrible, and felt like I was driving a Chevy Chevette. My advice to anyone buying a 500 is to skip the Pop and sport, and just spend the extra coin on the 500T...I was really impressed with the car, as you can tell. I really wanted to like the Pop, but..pretty bad.

Dwaynek
11-22-2012, 07:21 PM
Don't disagree with you however go one further and drive an Abarth before you decide!

msjulie33
11-23-2012, 11:25 AM
A Pop + auto, yeah not my choice (had the rental when mine was hit... not so fun) ... with a 5speed you can have some fun with a Pop though... so are you getting a T?

panther76
11-23-2012, 12:04 PM
Drove a 500T with Leather and really liked it...and that is coming off renting a Auto Trans Pop with 30K miles, which was horrible, and felt like I was driving a Chevy Chevette. My advice to anyone buying a 500 is to skip the Pop and sport, and just spend the extra coin on the 500T...I was really impressed with the car, as you can tell. I really wanted to like the Pop, but..pretty bad.

having driven all the versions of the 500, i couldnt disagree with you more.

the 500 pop auto felt like a chevy chevette....really? the 16-18 second 0-60 chevette with paper thin metal, the loudest interior decibal level and poorest handling of any car on the market.

talk about hyperbole.

to many here, the bit of extra power in the T isnt really worth the trade offs (poorer mileage/higher cost/underbite looking front bumper).

i respect that some want the T for its extra power, but calling the pop a piece of sh*t (which is exactly what you are doing by comparing it to a chevette) is a bit ridiculous. the manual pop will certainly be plenty fun for many, but there are lots of members here who have fun in their auto pops.

my advice to anyone is to drive all the versions and decide what suits your desires/needs/pocketbook best.....not to tell members the pop is a POS and to skip buying it.

sjmst
11-23-2012, 12:26 PM
I have driven all except the T. I think the auto sport pop and lounge are plenty fun.

cerebrix
11-23-2012, 12:32 PM
Part of me wishes I had gotten a t over an abarth just because I love the sport seats so much more than the abarth seats

msjulie33
11-23-2012, 01:07 PM
Part of me wishes I had gotten a t over an abarth just because I love the sport seats so much more than the abarth seats

This I agree, too bad you can't select the seat style of your choice, car model independent!

500ways
11-23-2012, 01:22 PM
My 500 Sport is not only fun and reliable, but I think one of the best cars I have ever had! Believe me, I have had many cars and toys spanning the spectrum from utilitarian to exotic (along with the costs).

All of those cars ended up either boring me or annoying me because of how much of a pain in the ass they were to own and use regularly. I like to drive my cars, not park them and stare at them.

My FIAT, which has been my daily driver for over a year, is fun, reliable, great on gas, big on style, cheap to maintain and unique! Yes, it has quirks, but what doesn't? However, for not a lot of money, you get a lot of bang and pleasure for your buck! Happy motoring!

cerebrix
11-23-2012, 02:40 PM
This I agree, too bad you can't select the seat style of your choice, car model independent!

im waiting for those badass catzkin racing seats they had in the venom to be available. im totally going to save for those. perfect in almost every way

littlejohn
11-23-2012, 09:30 PM
Well, I'm sure a Sport auto, or stick, would be better, fair enough apologies to all. It was a let down for me, and my wife, after reading all the positive reviews, I just expected too much maybe. Yes I test drove one months prior, but I rented one to get a feel how livable the car would be for daily use, commute, etc. To me the 500T is a better representation of what Fiat should be....(a hint, along with the Abarth of course) in America. Also, someone may? seek out this board that didn't like the 500 on first impression...and, rather than write the whole brand off, I'm saying no, take a real look at the 500T, you'll be much happier with the purchase and be more likely to tout the merits of the 500 than rush to trade it in after a year, or whatever, which wouldn't help resale value for anyone. Frankly, it was almost like driving a different vehicle...which in a way it was, given that I rented a lower end model with an auto. I suppose if I had rented a Sport/Manual I would have much more fun. I should add, I still don't know which I'm buying...like the 500T with leather/conv pack, but that pushes the price so close to the Abarth, but then, so far for me, it's been hard to justify the price of an Abarth, not that I think it's overpriced at all, just a good chunk of coin when you look at the out the door price....one day the planets will align, and my job security will be better, I hope anyway.

SeaDawg
11-24-2012, 03:17 PM
I have driven all except the T. I think the auto sport pop and lounge are plenty fun.

While it won't do anything for you other than allow you to add to your repertoire of vehicles driven, you should do it.

For those who have only driven the normally aspirated 1.4 l engine, you are in for a TREAT. It's like there isn't even a car attached. It only has the standard Sport suspension, but compared to my H&R lowering springs and 205/40 17 tires and wheels, it rode like a Cadillac <insert other luxury car here> I think I might just add a rear sway bar and perhaps 17" wheels and tires and not touch the springs on this one. It's a touch too quiet for my tastes (compared to my Magnaflow exhaust). The T has the Abarth brakes, which work well without being grabby. Felt like my normal Sport brakes as far as feel. Love the Sport leather interior. It appears more durable (read thicker) than the Abarth leather and the smell, OMG! I listened to the Alpine FIAT Premium audio, which is NOT the standard in the T unless you get Sirius radio vs Beats audio. If you loved the Bose system in the 2012 models, you'll want to cough up the cash for the Beats upgrade. The bass on the Beats is much more warm and lush than on the Premium Audio system with NO subwoofer. Both systems allow you to adjust bass, MID RANGE, as well as treble, something the Bose system did NOT have.

I was suitably impressed. Just wish I didn't have so much invested in my 2012 Sport.

janaheim
11-24-2012, 04:15 PM
I also have a 500 Sport and I completely agree with you. Well said!

My 500 Sport is not only fun and reliable, but I think one of the best cars I have ever had! Believe me, I have had many cars and toys spanning the spectrum from utilitarian to exotic (along with the costs).

All of those cars ended up either boring me or annoying me because of how much of a pain in the ass they were to own and use regularly. I like to drive my cars, not park them and stare at them.

My FIAT, which has been my daily driver for over a year, is fun, reliable, great on gas, big on style, cheap to maintain and unique! Yes, it has quirks, but what doesn't? However, for not a lot of money, you get a lot of bang and pleasure for your buck! Happy motoring!

Raspy
11-26-2012, 02:37 PM
My Pop (manual) is a bundle of fun - for me. :D

PS - I know this really doesn't add much to the conversation, but I wanted to register my happiness with my Pop. :Peace:

giu g three
11-26-2012, 05:06 PM
.. and that is coming off renting a Auto Trans Pop with 30K miles, which was horrible, and felt like I was driving a Chevy Chevette.

I drove manual and auto 2013 Sports and Pops a couple weeks ago and made the same "felt like my old Chevette" comment to the salesman while driving the automatic version. I think it was because of the constant downshifting/upshifting of the auto transmission; it just felt like old-school econobox to me. There were some small hills/inclines in the area but nothing substantial. The stick version of the Sport AND Pop was much more appealing to me.

I only got to sit in a red 500T (6' 3" + sunroof + sport seat = tilt head at a 45 degree angle), and though i would love the extra horsepower and torque, the suspension and sporty styling touches were a bit too "young" for me.

Argento500
11-26-2012, 05:34 PM
i drove a 500T but price on the lot was 8K more then my sport ended up being at 16K so Im turboless :(

Maybe someday someone will work out a turbo upgrade.

SeaDawg
11-26-2012, 05:42 PM
I only got to sit in a red 500T (6' 3" + sunroof + sport seat = tilt head at a 45 degree angle), and though i would love the extra horsepower and torque, the suspension and sporty styling touches were a bit too "young" for me.

With the exception of the 135 HP Turbo motor, Abarth nose and behind, the thing not only looks like a Sport it IS a Sport. It has Sport suspension and wheels, even if they are painted black instead of gray. The brakes are Abarth but the Sport brakes are red TOO. Even the rear spoiler is standard Sport and NOT Abarth.

Gosh, you make me feel like a brash teenager again....I only WISH. 66 years and counting...take a look at my Avator, lol. It's a standard 2012 Sport.

SeaDawg
11-26-2012, 05:47 PM
i drove a 500T but price on the lot was 8K more then my sport ended up being at 16K so Im turboless :(

Maybe someday someone will work out a turbo upgrade.

Unfortunately the dealers are either loading them up like everyone has money like Marchione(sp) or they get them with NO options. There are happy mediums and right now there is a $1,000 incentive plus here in FL at least another $500 off if you are active or retired military and an additional $500 off if you are also an USAA member. That still wouldn't get it to what you paid, I'm assuming that's without takes, title, etc.. BUT it would make it, assuming you qualify for all three incentives, $18,200 for a base equipped 500T which is what a Sport with very few if any options sells for.

Berliner
11-26-2012, 09:07 PM
My Dealer here got a T plain basic no sunroof 5 Speed for 19.5 k. And i am still waiting for my Settlement darn it!!!!!!! And yes it is red too. I am sold on the T over the Abarth because 4 k saved is the $$$$$ that will go towards Mods like Wheels Spring Kit etc etc. My Betty wants a new Kitchen had to tell her Sorry the T comes 1st.

panther76
11-26-2012, 09:14 PM
i dont know how olsd some of you are, but there is NOTHING....AND I MEAN NOTHING...similar about a chevette and a 500 (even in automatic form).

SeaDawg
11-26-2012, 09:19 PM
i dont know how olsd some of you are, but there is NOTHING....AND I MEAN NOTHING...similar about a chevette and a 500 (even in automatic form).

You won't get any agruments from me! I reemember when Hyundai 1st entered this market....I think around 1986...they had a Chevette on their lot for comparison and the thing cost TWELVE THOUSAND dollars. At that time the Hyundais were selling for around $8,600.00, but back then they weren't much better quality under the skin than the chevette.

I remember driving my '79 T/A from Florida to California in '87 and there were more Chevettes abandoned along the interstates than any other brand.

Raspy
11-26-2012, 09:45 PM
My first car (in 1986) was a bright yellow Chevette and cost me $600. I loved that thing... because we lived out in the country and all my friends lived in town. :D

pastor passum
11-27-2012, 12:27 AM

Just gotta wonder how you could tell the suspension was "too young" for you, just by sitting in the T?

panther76
11-27-2012, 09:54 AM
You won't get any agruments from me! I reemember when Hyundai 1st entered this market....I think around 1986...they had a Chevette on their lot for comparison and the thing cost TWELVE THOUSAND dollars. At that time the Hyundais were selling for around $8,600.00, but back then they weren't much better quality under the skin than the chevette.

I remember driving my '79 T/A from Florida to California in '87 and there were more Chevettes abandoned along the interstates than any other brand.

lol. in high school i rode in my friends chevette (that was given to him a day earlier in trade for his star wars figures collection) from michigan to great america amusement park north of chicago. to this day, i remember the uncertainty as to whether 1) the car would make it and 2)we would make it navigating 70 mph interstate traffic.

we made it there. the car never made it back and we took amtrak back to michigan.

he always regretted that he gave up his star wars figures for that car.

giu g three
11-27-2012, 09:56 AM
Just gotta wonder how you could tell the suspension was "too young" for you, just by sitting in the T?

I also drove a Sport which i was told has the same suspension. Any other questions, pastor?