PDA

View Full Version : Now that I have my car; Dealer RANT

lagallinavecchia
11-20-2012, 12:14 PM
I am going to say, if I had to do it all over again, it would not be with Fiat of Larchmont (NY) Read on if you're even considering using this dealership. If not, please ignore the rest of my post.

I have gotten nothing but hassle EVERY step of the way. After I ordered the car in April, I got ZERO communication on the progress of my car. It wasn't until I called and emailed them that I FINALLY got the indication that I wasn't getting a 2012. It wasn't until I walked into the delaership that I confirmed that. I was unable to get a VON or VIN until the car was almost completed.

I went to the studio again to have my trade-in appraised. They casually mentioned I wouldn't get any break for ordering a 2012 and getting a 2013. Instead they would charge me full price for everything. Fine... I specified not to drill the bumper as a requirement for me to accept delivery.

I waited some more (no communication from sales manager), and finally from tracking my car I knew it arrived at the studio. I told them again over email and phone call, not to drill the front bumper. They didn't. I actually saw it in the garage. I called so I could come in and have my car re-appraised (yes, it had been that long)... of course, with the final numbers in, they lowballed me on the appraisal. I told them I'd go buy a BRZ that day and to give me my deposit back. They came close to the original appraisal but still lower. Fine again, it says in the contract they can re-appraise.

Finally, car is in (now October)... Excited, I pull up and the owner comes out. First thing I ask is "you didn't drill the bumper did you?" Well........... about that................ they drilled the f!@#$ing bumper anyway. The owner said he'd make good on it and replace the bumper. Fast forward another month... they get another brand new Abarth in, but the bumper is "already drilled". Wait more... Another white Abarth... they swap it out for me. Hey, by the way, if you're buying a new white Abarth from them, it has my drilled bumper on it. Surprise.

FINALLY... I get the car home yesterday and the hood and bumper aren't lined up perfectly. Now... I'm done. I'll actually work on it myself before ever setting foot in that place again.

ONE salesman there is a great guy, unfortunately he wasn't my salesman. My salesman seems to be gone now. :-/

Ciao FIAT of Larchmont. I love my FIAT, but not you.

luckymoi
11-20-2012, 01:28 PM
Its real clear that most dealers don't know the car and the communication during the buying process is exceptionally awful... especially if one orders the car.
Its a real shame as the car is so terrific.

Ya gotta feel it doesn't need to be that way but there it is.
So far the service is fine and trustworthy for moi.
Enjoy the car, you suffered through the front end now go for a wicked drive.
Fifteen Thousand (s)Miles and counting...

Jjm4life
11-20-2012, 01:45 PM
I didn't get to my car before they drilled the plate either. Kills me to look at it even with the temporary fill i had done. I feel your pain. Hard part is over, enjoy the car

lagallinavecchia
11-20-2012, 01:50 PM
Good advice, both of you -- thanks.

I have my car, I have the new bumper... I'm just disappointed that a dealer that's been around forever did SUCH a lousy job with this whole process.

Jjm4life
11-20-2012, 01:55 PM
Sadly I've come to realize we expect more of dealers than we should. I know its an enthusiast car, but Hess people make their living selling base model 500s at 15k a pop. Tough for the to A. Get excited over a product they will move so few of and B. service a car thats enthusiast owned when they are used to dealing with people showing up with CEL for not tightening their gas cap.

I've hated every dealership I've ever worked with, save for Aston Martin lotus motorsports of New England. These guys are true gear heads,and are passionate about what they do. Tough to find outside of amen enthusiasts dealership.

Fiat500USA
11-20-2012, 02:54 PM
Sorry to hear about your disappointment. I agree with you that communication is important. I think the reason we don't get too much of it from some dealers is that:
A. They are understaffed.
B. They are afraid they'll "buy back the car" if they talk too much to the customer. Human inclination is to stop talking after the deal is done, especially if they were beat up on the price and are making a $25 commission on a car.
C. Some salesman aren't too knowledgeable how the order process works, either they are not interested, not trained or are too busy trying to survive.

It is a drag that someone won't take a few moments to go above the minimum of what's expected. I see that everywhere, though. Human condition?

lagallinavecchia
11-20-2012, 04:56 PM
I don't know... I think in a business where word of mouth can get you sales, you need to put your best foot forward. Instead they felt like they had a boutique brand and the people would flock to them for the products without expecting much from the experience. And we did! They did with the Mini too, and because of their attention to the customer, they are going strong. I hope FIAT can improve their not-so-stellar reputation.

Pinecone
11-20-2012, 05:01 PM
My studio actually wants to call and thank two other nearby studios for sending them business, but being so bad.

When we were shopping our Abarth, my wife called one of them and asked about an Abarth (and the cars were already being delivered) and the person on the phone told her, "Oh, we sell Fiats here." Nothing like having well trained people working there.

lagallinavecchia
11-21-2012, 08:43 AM
My studio actually wants to call and thank two other nearby studios for sending them business, but being so bad.

When we were shopping our Abarth, my wife called one of them and asked about an Abarth (and the cars were already being delivered) and the person on the phone told her, "Oh, we sell Fiats here." Nothing like having well trained people working there.

Ridiculous. The salesman who did the paperwork (I won't say sold) for my car IS Italian, and incidentally a very nice guy. But I was telling HIM about the car.

FiatGusto
11-21-2012, 02:38 PM
Pathetic!!!!!

Zack Hurst
11-21-2012, 02:58 PM
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience! I wish that the FIAT sales training was more extensive.

For me, I owe it all to this forum... selling FIAT 500's has been great because I learned so much from HERE!
My first day on the job I registered on the site here and it has been awesome.

I can confidently say that I'm one of the more educated FIAT salespeople out there. Being a car helps too I guess. I get so excited when I'm talking about these cars!

I think that daily viewing should be manditory for FIAT salespeople.

swinter
11-28-2012, 03:11 AM
Sorry to hear about your disappointment. I agree with you that communication is important. I think the reason we don't get too much of it from some dealers is that:
A. They are understaffed.
B. They are afraid they'll "buy back the car" if they talk too much to the customer. Human inclination is to stop talking after the deal is done, especially if they were beat up on the price and are making a $25 commission on a car.
C. Some salesman aren't too knowledgeable how the order process works, either they are not interested, not trained or are too busy trying to survive. . . . Human condition?
Maybe just greed?

I wasn't too thrilled with my experience either, though lagallinavecchia's was much, much worse.

lagallinavecchia
11-28-2012, 10:43 AM
Let me add to the never-ending saga...

The dealership had a fire, and lost my registration, paperwork, etc... no one mentioned that, called me, anything. Par for the course. So now, my registration is about to expire (or has expired) and they are asking me to bring in all my paperwork from the sale so they can re-issue the registration. If I didn't notice and call, I'd be driving around with no registration. Awesome.

Bottom line, they had NO computer records, electronic copies, off-site storage, pdfs, anything... for backup. It just floors me. The bright side is they seem to have a new person there who has her proverbial sh*t together.

Maybe I should tell them my contract said 2 Abarths, so they owe me another =)

hownowcb
11-28-2012, 11:25 AM
I'm sure it comes as no consolation, but bad dealerships are certainly not limited to the Fiat brand.

I've received such great treatment, that I'm going to do something I don't do very often: I'm going to give two thumbs up to my local studio. Virtually every contact I've had with them has been top notch. I didn't even have a chance to tell them to not drill my front bumper for the license plate bracket, but thankfully, it was loose in the trunk. Eventually I'll get around to posting pics of my front plate mount, which though finicky to install, looks great (in my opinion, anyway).

So, if you're in Minnesota, I heartily recommend Fiat of Brookdale. They've been fantastic, and I do mean every single employee.

pxpaulx
11-28-2012, 03:01 PM
I'm sure it comes as no consolation, but bad dealerships are certainly not limited to the Fiat brand.

I've received such great treatment, that I'm going to do something I don't do very often: I'm going to give two thumbs up to my local studio. Virtually every contact I've had with them has been top notch. I didn't even have a chance to tell them to not drill my front bumper for the license plate bracket, but thankfully, it was loose in the trunk. Eventually I'll get around to posting pics of my front plate mount, which though finicky to install, looks great (in my opinion, anyway).

So, if you're in Minnesota, I heartily recommend Fiat of Brookdale. They've been fantastic, and I do mean every single employee.

Fiat of Bloomington (essentially the same dealer) down here on the south side of the twin cities was also great.

hownowcb
11-29-2012, 11:35 AM
I neglected to mention that my studio sent me a box of homemade chocolate chip cookies (and the recipe) the week after I took delivery!

pxpaulx
11-29-2012, 12:53 PM
I neglected to mention that my studio sent me a box of homemade chocolate chip cookies (and the recipe) the week after I took delivery!

You got me beat there, haha.

pastor passum
11-30-2012, 12:59 AM

So much for southern hospitality...I'm moving to Hopkins Mn.