PDA

View Full Version : Anyone following Formula 1?

Robert Nixon
11-17-2012, 09:49 PM
If so, how do you think the first race in Austin will go, and will F1 really do two races in the US next year (Austin and NJ)?

Dwaynek
11-17-2012, 10:29 PM
track looked great for qualifying and big crowd in the stands. I love open wheel racing and have been to the F1 in Malaysia a couple of times. Dirt cheap there as a ticket for 3 day race weekend 25 bucks!

500ways
11-17-2012, 10:30 PM
Lifelong F1 freak here. The first race in Austin will be interesting. Red Bull is hot right now. However, racing is fluid and anything can change in a heartbeat.

Needless to say I am a Ferrarista at heart. I see and breathe red and that's all I ever want to see on the podium. Alonso works wonders with the car so let's see what happens.

And yes, by all accounts, two races are predicted for the US next year. I will be heading to northern NJ/NY for that race weekend. I also plan to shoot for Montreal as well.

Forza Ferrari!!!!!!!

Wolfie
11-18-2012, 01:37 AM
+1

Unfortunately, Canadian Television is only interested in Ice Hockey ....
Since I moved to Canada about a decade ago I haven't seen a lot of F1 - Miss my good old F1 days in Belgium... :rolleyes:

Red Dwarf
11-18-2012, 02:26 PM
I really wanted to go to the race in Austin. Sadly could not manage it so hoping they come back next year. My Sister has a house there and said the crowd control has been very good.

Corrnaus
11-18-2012, 04:59 PM
+1

Unfortunately, Canadian Television is only interested in Ice Hockey ....
Since I moved to Canada about a decade ago I haven't seen a lot of F1 - Miss my good old F1 days in Belgium... :rolleyes:

Not true.. i have seen every F1 race this season and Im in Toronto.. TSN is very good at showing the race live coming from the BBC with DC and Ben .. Most times they are on an all hours of the night, but if you got a PVR you can record and watch when you wake up.. Also they sometimes show it later on in the day. Also Speed also shows the race so you have options.. but depending on how much Nascar is on, it only gets shown once.

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
11-18-2012, 06:22 PM
Darn I wish that I could have gone, It looked cool. Whats up with Austin all these cool events,what is the draw?

AbarthP
11-18-2012, 07:03 PM
Not true.. i have seen every F1 race this season and Im in Toronto.. TSN is very good at showing the race live coming from the BBC with DC and Ben .. Most times they are on an all hours of the night, but if you got a PVR you can record and watch when you wake up.. Also they sometimes show it later on in the day. Also Speed also shows the race so you have options.. but depending on how much Nascar is on, it only gets shown once.

Ditto

Robert Nixon
11-18-2012, 09:33 PM
In the US I think we're pretty much stuck with only Speed has F1 racing. Austin just has a lot going for it, the state capitol, University of Texas, LBJ Presidential Library, lots of live music, the bridge with all the bats! Dell HQ is just north of there, Whole Foods is HQ in Austin, etc. I was stationed at Fort Hood for two years, and got down to Austin pretty often. And great BBQ!

Corrnaus
11-18-2012, 09:49 PM
Well this Austin race was great success.. The race was tight, Vettel lost which I like to see and now the Championship is coming down to the final race in Brazil.. Plus they had the best pirelli victory hats EVER!!. They said no one would come, everyone would be watching Nascar or football, but they had 117,000 people for the race and over 265,000 for the whole 4 days of the GP weekend. I think F1 has a home in the US for a long time

White Abarth
11-18-2012, 10:49 PM
Abarth friends attending the race this weekend mentioned Fiat having a big display at the track featuring several cars including the Targa Newfoundland Abarth.

After seventeen years, Speed/Fox lost the rights to broadcast Formula 1 in the U.S. NBC Sports will be carrying the series for the next four years. Hopefully, my local station won't opt to pre-empt the races.

Robert Nixon
11-19-2012, 12:54 PM
WhiteAbarth,
thanks for that news, glad to hear that NBC will cover F1. Without knowing anything more, I'd have to guess it will be on their NBCSports channel, the one that used to be Versus, that used to be Outdoor Life Network, etc.

Season ends this coming weekend in Brazil, obviously it's down to Vettel in the lead and Alonso in his Fiat 500, I mean Ferrari, in 2nd place!

Robert Nixon
11-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Corrnaus,

Good point, I was going to say something about the Pirelli winner's podium cowboy hats too!

Thomas
11-19-2012, 05:47 PM
The Austin track and race was great. I love the elevation changes and sweeping corners. Some of that reminds me of Suzuka & a little bit of Spa too + elements from a couple of other tracks. It is the first really nice Hermann Tike designed track that I have seen in a long time. I read somewhere that Speed lost the F1 broadcast rights starting next year. I think NBC picked them up. I think it's a good move to boost F1 viewership, now that US track(s) are back on the schedule. It's a shame with such a large population + many talented drivers, that the US can't field a driver of their own. That plus a US team would be great for the sport. Only time will tell whether the initial Austin success continues to build. Watkin's Glen, Longbeach, Detroit, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Indy...plenty of previous attempts. At least Austin is a true purpose built F1 track.

Zack Hurst
11-19-2012, 06:30 PM
I wasn't able to watch, but I've been SO EXCITED for the race yesterday because F1 is finally back! I think it's great!!