PDA

View Full Version : Electic Pump Sound Gone After Engine Shut Off

Abarth Five O
11-17-2012, 12:50 AM
I just noticed after I shut off my engine today, the electric pump sound after I shut off the engine is no longer present. I assume that sound is from a pump to recirculate oil in the turbo and let it cool down for a few minutes after the engine is turned off. I have about 2,000 miles on the car and it used to go on regularly after engine shut off. I'll monitor it tomorrow. Any one have this happen with their Abarth?

SeaDawg
11-17-2012, 12:52 AM
It's an electric coolant/water pump. If it's not running and the fuse isn't blown I'd run not walk to the nearest dealer!

Abarth Five O
11-17-2012, 02:55 AM
Do you know what fuse number? In the Abarth owner's manual on pages 60 and 61, I could not find the fuse # specifically for this electric coolant/water pump. Thanks

Fiat500USA
11-17-2012, 03:15 AM
When, if and how long this runs is dependent on operating conditions which change. It comes on as needed. For example, if I take it easy and cool off/idle down the engine before I park the car, the pump doesn't run.

Here is how the coolant after-run pump works (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2012/04/fiat-500-abarth-after-run-coolant-pump.html)

WORD OF WARNING: The after-run pump can activate without warning for up to 10 minutes after engine shutdown.

Abarth Five O
11-17-2012, 04:15 AM
When, if and how long this runs is dependent on operating conditions which change. It comes on as needed. For example, if I take it easy and cool off/idle down the engine before I park the car, the pump doesn't run.

Here is how the coolant after-run pump works (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2012/04/fiat-500-abarth-after-run-coolant-pump.html)

WORD OF WARNING: The after-run pump can activate without warning for up to 10 minutes after engine shutdown.

Thanks Chris for the additional info and clarification. Actually I took the car for spin again tonight and the pump ran again after I shut the engine. As you said, it comes on as needed. Thanks again!

lc3necro
11-17-2012, 08:06 AM
I've noticed with the cooler weather mine runs less, especially after short trips / easy driving trips (I know...easy driving, in my Abarth? Blasphemy!)

My $.02