PDA

View Full Version : Full top side oil change

tortuga
11-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Just this last weekend my GF and I (Her Car) changed the oil completely from the top: Reading all the DIYs on changing the oil and all that is involved got me thinking, why not use my topside oil changer (vacuume) that i use on the boat (6.9l west marine like $65). Worked great and by volume sucked out just a smidge south of the 4 qt capacity.

ALSO found that with a 10" and 4" extension with a 27 mm socket the filter came out with minimal jockeying and no silly cover removals: Put the 4" extension on the socket, manuever the socket onto the top of the filter housing, then through the little gap between the RH headlight (take a look and you will be looking STRAIGHT at the top of the filter!) and the body plug the 10" extension in, loose and remove; the filter housing comes out with a little maneuvering, plug a new element in, thread the housing back on, tighten; fill with oil and done!

Red Dwarf
11-12-2012, 08:47 PM
Brilliant! I have seen these units before I thought about it. If I recall correctly BWM Sevice Techs use them.

Pinecone
11-13-2012, 12:43 PM
Several threads about them in the various forums. I use a MityVac. Others like the Pela.

luckymoi
11-13-2012, 01:47 PM
Brilliant! I have seen these units before I thought about it. If I recall correctly BWM Sevice Techs use them.
I asked Fiat of Fremont if they use one: no, they do it from below.
So, said I, since you are under the car please check for two things I've seen on the Forum:
1- leaking axle boots (no leaks)
2- leaking oil on engine/transmission (no leaks)
They've got the lift and I tossed out my ramps several years back.
I am liking the dealer service that was included.. yes I know, it was me who paid up front as part of the price.

My days of doing oil changes is in the past, just like my full head of hair.

SeaDawg
11-13-2012, 02:37 PM
My days of doing oil changes is in the past, just like my full head of hair.

I still have my full head of hair, but like you my days of doing oil changes are in the past.:chuncky: