PDA

View Full Version : Tail pipes uneven??

Racerflash
11-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Hey Guys, anyone else have this minor problem? I just picked up my 2013 Abarth Thursday night and noticed at the Studio that the passenger side tailpipe stuck out from the diffuser 1 1/2" more than the drivers side? Really noticeable. I showed it to the salesperson and he suggested we check the other 2013 Abarth on the showroom. Same? He stated it supposed to be that way since they both looked the same. I said "bullsh*t". He laughed and told me to bring it to service!

So, I'm going to get under the back this weekend to check it out but wanted to see if any other owners noticed this???

Thanks,
Flash

SeaDawg
11-10-2012, 11:00 AM
Not an Abarth owner, but there is another thread somewhere and YES it is a common discrepancy although your passenger side pipe seems to stick out farther than most.

FTY
11-10-2012, 12:27 PM
I had mine re-aligned and its back to the same as before.

GoFiatGo!
11-10-2012, 12:32 PM
I just installed a custom exhaust. All fixed.

FiatCACares
11-13-2012, 09:51 AM
Hey Guys, anyone else have this minor problem? I just picked up my 2013 Abarth Thursday night and noticed at the Studio that the passenger side tailpipe stuck out from the diffuser 1 1/2" more than the drivers side? Really noticeable. I showed it to the salesperson and he suggested we check the other 2013 Abarth on the showroom. Same? He stated it supposed to be that way since they both looked the same. I said "bullsh*t". He laughed and told me to bring it to service!

So, I'm going to get under the back this weekend to check it out but wanted to see if any other owners noticed this???

Thanks,
Flash

Flash,

This isn't something I've heard of before, did you bring it into the Service Department like the Sales Rep suggested? What did Service say?

Racerflash
11-13-2012, 09:57 AM
Hi Jonathan, no I won't have time this week to bring it in and since I've already sold my other car I'm stuck since mt Studio says they don't offer loaners. Also, search on the forum and see others have had this problem in the past.

I did get under the car this weekend. It appears the tailpipe "T" joint is simply welded crooked. The other Abarth at the Studio had the same problem but not as bad as mine.

Thanks for your concern,
Bob

Racerflash
11-13-2012, 09:59 AM
Sorry Katie, I assumed this was Jonathan.

Thanks.

John O
11-24-2012, 07:37 AM
Just picked up mine last week and I have the same problem, passenger side tip sticks out about an 1" further than the driver's side. The '13 no longer has the big can underneath the '12 had, it's just a bunch of pipes now, I'm betting it's a mfg flaw in the exhaus itself . My dealer guys told me to bring it to service and they'd fix it. BTW, NONE of the four other Abarths on the lot had the problem, all had their exhaust tips flush with the rear diffuser facia.

John O.

Pinecone
11-24-2012, 08:00 AM
It is not a 12 - 13 thing with the can. Post May 28th 2012 production doesn't have the can either.

Dwaynek
11-24-2012, 11:03 AM
Even with the can tailpipes were uneven, surprised Katie hasn't heard about this as it has been a production issue from day one.

John O
11-24-2012, 11:54 AM
Has anyone had luck with Service being able to rectify it? I won't have time for a couple weeks yet to take it in.

John O.

Pinecone
11-24-2012, 02:59 PM
Search here and the other forum. Several people have had it fixed.

satellite
11-27-2012, 06:11 AM
Easy fix and seemingly quite common for these cars.

William M Jacocks Jr
11-27-2012, 08:16 AM
Make sure the rear spoiler is correctly fitting, that fixed some issues. Also, check for the hangers, some have slipped causing that affect. Easy to slip it back to proper position, could be a loading/unloading thing on the railcars doing that?

Racerflash
11-27-2012, 06:19 PM
Make sure the rear spoiler is correctly fitting, that fixed some issues. Also, check for the hangers, some have slipped causing that affect. Easy to slip it back to proper position, could be a loading/unloading thing on the railcars doing that?

Thanks for the ideas. I had checked the rear diffuser when I first got the car and it was straight. I jacked it up and climbed under the back this weekend (with jack stands of course, safety first!) and took a look. All brackets, etc were connected but it appears that the "T" where the twin tailpipes are welded to the single are just crooked. Either a bad bend or a bad weld. I tried to bend back by hand with no luck, so since I don't want to kink the pipe, I guess I'll let the grease monkeys at the studio give it a try!

lenswerks
11-27-2012, 06:55 PM
I'm just guessing because I don't have one to look at, but what about if you loosen the connection of the rear exhaust assembly where is joins that part going forward and see if you can adjust in that way? I recall both tips should stick out a tad or you going to have a sooty rear.

Racerflash
11-27-2012, 07:00 PM
I'm just guessing because I don't have one to look at, but what about if you loosen the connection of the rear exhaust assembly where is joins that part going forward and see if you can adjust in that way? I recall both tips should stick out a tad or you going to have a sooty rear.

Exactly, since they are connected, if you push one in the other should stick out, like a see-saw, but they don't because of the fixed "T". The tailpipes hang with a rubber donut style hanger on a bar that's much longer than the hanger. So there is lots of "slack" which would allow the pipes to slide forwards or backwards. But, because they connect to a rigid "T", if you push in one pipe the other also goes deeper in. So, they need to be slightly bent where they meet the "T" or rewelded where they meet the "T"???

lenswerks
11-27-2012, 07:11 PM
I understand.
Hope to get mine this week so will be interested in taking a look under there myself.
Thanks.

redred
11-27-2012, 07:45 PM
Yup mine was the same way and I just took it to the dealer and they fixed it that day.

This is how it looked before hand:

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk263/staceydodds/IMG_0839.jpg

b56.1m6
12-21-2012, 08:34 AM
Mine looks like redred's but the same tailpipe sticks out even further. Before I went through my ordeal at Criswell I checked thier 3 Abarths and they were all this way. When I bought my car at Maple Shade I checked it first for the side skirts, peeling paint and crooked exhaust and the only issue was the exhaust. They had another identical car to mine at Maple Shade and it's exhaust was just as crooked as mine with way more than the 7 miles mine had. I figured since this is common and sounded easy to fix I would take my car as it was. I am going to put my car up on ramps this week end and take a look. I am confident I can handle this and I will let you all know what I find. P.S. hey mods we are talking about my new ride look!

b56.1m6
12-24-2012, 12:10 PM
Update, my tailpipes are pretty even now. I have to tell you it is a simple fix. After I put some ramps under the rear wheels I climbed underneath an checked it out. There is a clamp on the rear pipe in front of the rear axle on the drivers side, it is 15mm and I used a box ended wrench to loosen it. It is a tight fit so I could not use a ratchet and socket, after loosening it I was able to twist the entire rear T pipe and straighten the exhaust. I used my knee to hold it where I wanted it while re tightening the clamp. It might be easier to have the wife, GF, son, daughter or neighbor to hold it straight while tightening the clamp back up. I did mine alone so the only issue was holding it straight while re tightening but otherwise a simple fix. I say if the pipes are crooked and you are at all handy just be careful lifting the car and go for it, way easier than driving 40 minutes to my closest studio.

Racerflash
01-01-2013, 05:43 PM
Update, my tailpipes are pretty even now. I have to tell you it is a simple fix. After I put some ramps under the rear wheels I climbed underneath an checked it out. There is a clamp on the rear pipe in front of the rear axle on the drivers side, it is 15mm and I used a box ended wrench to loosen it. It is a tight fit so I could not use a ratchet and socket, after loosening it I was able to twist the entire rear T pipe and straighten the exhaust. I used my knee to hold it where I wanted it while re tightening the clamp. It might be easier to have the wife, GF, son, daughter or neighbor to hold it straight while tightening the clamp back up. I did mine alone so the only issue was holding it straight while re tightening but otherwise a simple fix. I say if the pipes are crooked and you are at all handy just be careful lifting the car and go for it, way easier than driving 40 minutes to my closest studio.

Wow, thanks so much! This has bugged the Crap out of me since I got the Abarth, but I didn't want to travel to the studio and have to leave the car for a day. This was the easiest fix ever, thanks to b56.1m6! 5 minute fix once you figure out where to place a jack stand. This car has no where safe in the rear to place a jack stand.

Thanks again,
Flash

b56.1m6
01-01-2013, 08:03 PM
Wow, thanks so much! This has bugged the Crap out of me since I got the Abarth, but I didn't want to travel to the studio and have to leave the car for a day. This was the easiest fix ever, thanks to b56.1m6! 5 minute fix once you figure out where to place a jack stand. This car has no where safe in the rear to place a jack stand.

Thanks again,
Flash
No problem and I agree I used ramps under the rear wheels but I jacked it up and slid them under and that was the hardest part, no where to confidently jack from . I don't like driving manual trans. cars up on ramps, I need a third leg or use the E brake to hold the car but it is difficult to hang out the door and judge the ramps while braking and clutching.

John O
01-04-2013, 03:11 PM
...way easier than driving 40 minutes to my closest studio.

Interesting. I'm in the service waiting room right now in for my first 3k service. One of the things I'm in to have fixed is the exhaust tip thing, makes me nuts too!!!

Anyway, the Service Writer was trying to tell that's the way the cars are designed. Not making it up. He said he could show me the other cars on the lot that were the same way. I told him when I bought it that the three other Abarths on the lot DIDN'T have the tip problem mine had. Additionally, I told him it's an adjustable thing they ought to be taking care of during their pre-delivery inspection, rather than me (the customer) pointing it out after purchase. Sloppy and unacceptable, and I said so.

Nice to know that I CAN fix it, but pisses me off that I'm being BS'd by the people who don't want to be bothered to get it right. This where, in my experience, Toyota gets how service is supposed to work.

John O.

b56.1m6
01-04-2013, 03:58 PM
John O, what studio? It really is easy to fix.

John O
01-04-2013, 05:25 PM
John O, what studio? It really is easy to fix.

This was at Criswell Chrysler-Fiat in Gaithersburg, MD. Based on me being under the car with both the head Mechanic and the Service Manager, I'm gonna say that this is not an easy fix to get it truly correct. They're conclusion that the exhaust itself is built skewed is, I believe, correct. Your fix of loosening the slip joint does allow one to move the right hand tip in or out, but in doing so it also changes its left to right alignment with holes in the rear fascia ...said another way, loosen the slip joint and push the right-hand tip inward also shifts both tips to the right so they're no longer centered. The factory, when assembling the exhaust, defaulted to the better of the two choices the exhaust they were given would allow them, as I see it.

Every Abarth on their lot currently has the right-tip-out-too-far problem. A couple are far worse than mine. This fecal-matter should have been caught at the factory! My advice: Be the squeaky wheel and complain above the local studio level. This car is supposed to be the top of their current Fiat offerings and this is just sloppiness. Don't accept it!!!

John O.

Racerflash
01-04-2013, 05:33 PM
I thought the same thing as you when I read b56-1m6's write up. It just didn't seam the "T" part of the exhaust would move in the right way to fix just the right side sticking out, BUT IT DOES!! It's because of the shape and location of the joint you are loosening. Once loose, the right tip only easily slides in and out! Try it, or tell the shop to try it! A two minute fix with a 15mm wrench!!

b56.1m6
01-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Loosening that clamp got mine pretty straight. Criswell well that fiqures but I dont want to upset the mods and get this thread locked also, beating the dead horse and all. When I was there all three of thier Abarths had the same issue, my dealer Maple Shade had two or three cars with pretty crooked tailpipes also including mine but I bought it anyway. Quite a few people here on the forum had thier cars fixed at thier studios no problem so I figured it was no big deal? Figures at Criswell they would have a problem fixing it! I guess thier service is as good as thier sales dept., see my other thread!

John O
01-06-2013, 04:12 PM
Loosening that clamp got mine pretty straight.

You sir, are 100% correct!!! While home working on my X today, I thought, "what could it hurt to turn a wrench on the Abarth?" So I put the rear of the Abarth up on ramps to let it cool while wrenching on the X. Once cool, I loosened the 15mm nut and the right tip easily adjusts. Done. Looks like it should.

I'll be writing a stern note to Criswell and Fiat. Not only is this sloppiness from the factory, this so easily fixed at the pre-delivery inspection phase that we (owners) shouldn't even be talking about it.

John O.

Racerflash
01-06-2013, 07:02 PM
Great! Happy this simple fix worked for you as well!

b56.1m6
01-07-2013, 09:11 AM
John, glad it worked for you, I was surprised when you were fed all the B.S. because it was really that easy. Criswell, strike two!

John O
01-07-2013, 03:05 PM
...because it was really that easy.

I mean, it was stupid easy. Might be THE easiest fix I've ever done on a car ...especially for something that bugged me so much. How can a dealer service department be so ignorant of the car they're servicing??? As I've said from my experiences with our 500 Sport, what's wrong with Fiat isn't the car.

John O.

b56.1m6
01-07-2013, 03:56 PM
Yup! Incompetent service can cause us to loose confidence in the vehicle. I hope Fiat can fix this before it hurts their reputation here. I expect this crap from Chrysler, been there done that, was hoping for better from Fiat. Unfortunately dealers or studios as they like to call them are privately owned and operated. Like I said strike two!

SnowyD
09-22-2015, 05:10 PM
I just noticed mine is sticking out this week. I KNOW it wasn't before as I Always have to walk behind my car to get in and like my exhaust so I'm constantly seeing it. Although lately it's been dark going to work and tired coming home (midnight until noon 4 days a week.) I'm guessing that the clamp that is being talked about is either not tight enough at the factory and alows it to move or loosens up over time allowing it to move. And since the passenger side is longer it will be the side with the most harmonics working on it so that is the side that causes all the movement....NVH does some weird things on cars sometimes. I noticed looking under my car (on the ground) that the area I'm guessing is clamped has black soot in the area which from previous experience working on cars in a dealership means a slight exhaust leak in that area, not enough to ever be an issue especially if they use the same clamps as VW and Audi which seem to leak enough to be seen sometimes but never heard. I think it's generally from water in the exhaust soaking through the joint,