PDA

View Full Version : big brake kit - wilwood

Crazy Otto
11-08-2012, 04:16 PM
this will fit abarth. i don't get excited about big brake but this is cosmetically very nice!

http://www.wilwood.com/PDF/NewProducts/np26_wilwood_2012_fiat_500_dp6_front_cpb_rear_kits .pdf

BigDaddySRT
11-09-2012, 08:34 AM
All these "big piston" brake kits require more fluid/ Pedal Travel.... makes me wonder if the stock Master Cylinder can handle the added/ needed volume of Brake Fluid.

I don't see a mention of the Kits providing "revised" proportioning valves.

The Stock Brake Kit has plenty of stopping power without overpowering the tires/ tire lock up.

jguerdat
11-09-2012, 08:43 AM
The Stock Brake Kit has plenty of stopping power without overpowering the tires/ tire lock up.

Agreed. I might be concerned with the base 500 brakes in peak competition but the Abarth ones don't need upgrading from a performance standpoint. Wait until you can actually define the need - there'll be a lot of other things to spend money on first. Usually on the loose nut behind the wheel.

BigDaddySRT
11-09-2012, 09:31 AM
Agreed. I might be concerned with the base 500 brakes in peak competition but the Abarth ones don't need upgrading from a performance standpoint. Wait until you can actually define the need - there'll be a lot of other things to spend money on first. Usually on the loose nut behind the wheel.

Regarding the ABARTH... I think the only added benefit to the Brake System would be a System Flush to a Synthetic (Higher Boiling Point) Fluid and a Pad Swap.

trevc
11-09-2012, 09:54 AM
Any news on 3rd party pads for the std Abarth calipers?

Pinecone
11-09-2012, 11:19 AM
Zeckhausen Racing said they should have some this fall.

I haven't checked back.

As for higher performance fluid, it is not needed until you have issues. We run Castol GT LMA in the SRF race cars. Just finished the Abarth Driving Experience and they run stock pads and fluid for the track sessions without issues.

MADNESSLuckyJay
11-09-2012, 01:41 PM
1. You won't have any issues with the master cylinder holding fluid with your brake upgrade. It will all work fine, I also suggest getting some braided lines, they help a lot with the performance of your brakes.

2. I checked on the brake pads and it looks like we have EBC pads for the ABARTH brakes. The sales guys here at MADNESS should be able to help you with that

Crazy Otto
11-09-2012, 01:54 PM
All these "big piston" brake kits require more fluid/ Pedal Travel.... makes me wonder if the stock Master Cylinder can handle the added/ needed volume of Brake Fluid.

I don't see a mention of the Kits providing "revised" proportioning valves.

wilwood would not design a big brake kit that would require a different master. and if designed properly they will not require proportioning valves. these are bolt on kits.

my issue with the abarth brakes is that they are grabby and diffcult to modulate. a change in pad material to less "mu" may be the fix.

BigDaddySRT
11-09-2012, 02:05 PM
1. You won't have any issues with the master cylinder holding fluid with your brake upgrade. It will all work fine, I also suggest getting some braided lines, they help a lot with the performance of your brakes.

2. I checked on the brake pads and it looks like we have EBC pads for the ABARTH brakes. The sales guys here at MADNESS should be able to help you with that

Right... you won't have any issues... but I am more worried about the increased piston size in the Calipers, which means they need more fluid to operate, which means you have to push the pedal further.

The Pedal Feedback of a Big Bore/ Multi Piston Brake Caliper is different from a Single Piston System.
In other words... it's not always an "upgrade" going with aftermarket Brake Kits.

For the amount of money these Brake Kits cost... I'd just put a set of pads, fresh fluid, and spend the rest on track days.
Money spent well.

trevc
11-09-2012, 02:49 PM
I talked to them and they just updated their site. No front pads so far but the are hopeful they will have some options soon
http://store.zeckhausen.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=3184_4628_4629_5194

Zeckhausen Racing said they should have some this fall.

I haven't checked back.

As for higher performance fluid, it is not needed until you have issues. We run Castol GT LMA in the SRF race cars. Just finished the Abarth Driving Experience and they run stock pads and fluid for the track sessions without issues.

MADNESSLuckyJay
11-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Right... you won't have any issues... but I am more worried about the increased piston size in the Calipers, which means they need more fluid to operate, which means you have to push the pedal further.

The Pedal Feedback of a Big Bore/ Multi Piston Brake Caliper is different from a Single Piston System.
In other words... it's not always an "upgrade" going with aftermarket Brake Kits.

For the amount of money these Brake Kits cost... I'd just put a set of pads, fresh fluid, and spend the rest on track days.
Money spent well.

I'd also suggest getting braided lines first, then seeing if you'd like to upgrade your brakes

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
11-09-2012, 08:58 PM
Will these fit on an Abarth with 16in rims?

500MADNESS.com
11-09-2012, 10:17 PM
Will these fit on an Abarth with 16in rims?

They should, but we have not installed a set of an ABARTH with 16's yet, so we cannot confirm for sure just yet. Hopefully, we will be able to install a set on a car that has the 16" wheels on it soon and once we know we will update you.

Just an FYI.... We just received our shipment of the Wilwood Rear Disk Brake Upgrade Kit. Both kits are now in stock!

If you are looking for a set please give us a call and we will be glad to assist you.

Steven Dionne
11-28-2012, 04:09 PM
You all forgot one thing that upgrading to this kit as benefit to put.
Weight and lower rotating mass. 2 piece disc as a much lower weight cause of the aluminium hat and less material in the friction disc.
Same thing a putting lightweight tire and wheels.

stealthy1ss
11-28-2012, 09:11 PM

EBC pads are garbage. All the Abarth really needs for brake upgrades are fluid, lines, and pads. BBK's sound really pointless for this car because its not very big and is gear limited to 131mph. As cool as stoppys look that is not an ideal situation to be in while tracking the car.

Money spent well.

I couldn't agree more. Recently I have been looking into better brake pads. Haven't really came up with anything but I have found some that I would have to ship here from Europe. Don't really want to have to do that.