PDA

View Full Version : 500 Automatic mileage

DenisEatonHogg
11-06-2012, 08:38 PM
OK, there haven't been any posts on this thread lately so I have a question: What kind of mileage are you all getting with the 500 automatic transmission model? I have a Sport 5-speed and it gets between 36-38 mpg driving mostly in the city/suburbs (26500 miles), and I drive it aggressively. My wife has a Lounge with an automatic (9500 miles) and she drives not so aggressively in the same kind of conditions and is only getting 30. What's up with that? Is that an expected differential between the manual and the auto?

mgirod
11-06-2012, 09:12 PM
33.5 mpg in my Sport Automatic in mixed driving around hilly north Ga.

bainbridgeny
11-06-2012, 10:01 PM
Auto Pop - 29.0 mpg (city) 35.5 mpg (highway)

I've got a record high of 38.0 highway for one trip. 29.0 city is a result of careful driving, aggressive driving gets me around 23.3. On the highway I can easily get around 35 driving like a maniac. I used to drive a 2000 Kia Sportage which averaged 13 mpg (city) 17 mpg (highway) so my Fiat is doing just fine for me but I really wish I had your numbers :p

Ultrarider
11-06-2012, 10:21 PM
I am getting 36-37 with my sport auto. Around town. 38+ on the hi way.

bainbridgeny
11-07-2012, 07:16 AM
I am getting 36-37 with my sport auto. Around town. 38+ on the hi way.

Awesome! Could you share your driving habits/road conditions/fuel type/etc...?

Ultrarider
11-07-2012, 01:53 PM
Awesome! Could you share your driving habits/road conditions/fuel type/etc...?

Just drive conservatively, ecodrive score mid 60's foot off the throttle watch the instant mileage figures. My Cadillac deville that I traded for the fiat got 21-22 so I drive carefully.
Also a member of this site

http://ecomodder.com/

FiatGusto
11-08-2012, 12:17 AM
Sport auto; in city about 27-28. Highway 35 once hit 41. 6250 miles on odo.

bryanintowson
11-08-2012, 09:53 AM
I'm averaging 35.7 in mostly highway driving in standard driving mode. I rarely use the sport button.

SeaDawg
11-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Sport auto; in city about 27-28. Highway 35 once hit 41. 6250 miles on odo.

You're slowing down! I'm up to a little over 6,500 (miles NOT mpg) now.:onthego:

FiatGusto
11-08-2012, 07:37 PM
Boring few months at home.....after back surgery.
New trip coming up soon. I'll try and catch you.
LOL

BigTJohn
11-10-2012, 05:20 PM
So far w/ 600 miles getting 36.8 on 5 spd Sport, use Sport mode most of the time. This has been avg over city and hiway. About 1.3 city and 2/3 hiway. On second fill up now using prem gas 93 oct. All is hand calc not EVIC tho EVIC is pretty close.

bainbridgeny
11-10-2012, 06:01 PM
So far w/ 600 miles getting 36.8 on 5 spd Sport, use Sport mode most of the time. This has been avg over city and hiway. About 1.3 city and 2/3 hiway. On second fill up now using prem gas 93 oct. All is hand calc not EVIC tho EVIC is pretty close.

This thread is for '500 Automatic Mileage'.

SeaDawg
11-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Boring few months at home.....after back surgery.
New trip coming up soon. I'll try and catch you.
LOL

Sorry to hear you required 'repairs'. We high mileage models experience those things, unfortunately. Best wishes for continued quick recovery!

Just did a two hour roundtrip to Patrick AFB Commissary this afternoon. Catch me if you can!:glee:

fltrplntman
11-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Also a member of this site

http://ecomodder.com/[/QUOTE]

Me too.!

kramer
12-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Coming up on 15,000 miles. 32-35 around town. I have seen 40+ on 100 mile freeway trips.

madbyrd
12-15-2012, 01:24 AM
I have over 16000 mi on my 2012 automatic 500 Pop, most of the time in my daily commute of 40 miles each way I drive conservatively and average 39 mpg. I have gotten as high as 43 but that is with the cruise set at 55 and mostly flat land. I select routes with fewest stops, coast or down shift to stops and try to guage my speed when approaching lights to prevent full stop/start. In my typical around town driving I get about 30-32. So overall I beat the rated of 28 city and 34 hwy. However, weekends are my fun times usually kicking in Sport-mode and shifting which drops mileage to about the 35 range. I usually fill with 89 or 91 octane.

chad44
03-11-2013, 10:19 AM
Anywhere from 2 to 5 miles per gallon is usually the difference between a stick shift and automatic in just about any make and model.

Boschetto al Tartufo
03-21-2013, 06:33 PM
Still in my break-in period, but with 477 miles on the odometer, I've topped off the tank and my latest mpg is 36.1. Sport 500, automatic. Using Chevron 93 octane.

Most fun I've ever had getting good mileage! :adoration:

scw
03-25-2013, 02:13 AM
i need you guy opinion, i have 19 to 21 mpg for the whole tank only driving in local street. on the other whole tank, i have 24 mpg for the whole tank with local and high way, is my car has something wrong. i drive very careful keeping the rpm under 2000 most of the time. i have a 2012 sport auto model, bought it on 2011, don't drive much, until now i have 8500 mile on it.

Boschetto al Tartufo
04-03-2013, 07:54 PM
That does seem low; the past 3 tankfuls I've been averaging about 36.1 mpg. You may want to bring it by your Fiat Studio and have it looked at.

Tweak
04-04-2013, 12:19 AM
i need you guy opinion, i have 19 to 21 mpg for the whole tank only driving in local street. on the other whole tank, i have 24 mpg for the whole tank with local and high way, is my car has something wrong. i drive very careful keeping the rpm under 2000 most of the time. i have a 2012 sport auto model, bought it on 2011, don't drive much, until now i have 8500 mile on it.

Welcome to the forum, it does sound like you have some issues that may need to be addressed, sounds way too low to be normal.

Andree
04-06-2013, 11:52 PM

Local streets = stop signs and traffic signals? You're burning up your gas when stopped and going slowly. Use the trip odometer, zero it out at next fill-up. There is more info you need to add, not just the average mpg, but also the average speed and the number of hours driven. All that is in the EVIC and available and it will explain your mpg.

For instance, I'm now getting about 25 mpg, which is much lower than everyone else. BUT, if you look at my average SPEED, it's 18 mph. Why is my average speed so low? Because the gas is being used all the time the car is running, including while I'm stopped at traffic lights (0 mph, 0 mpg). And the number of hours shows that I'm driving plenty long, but much of the time I'm driving is very slowly in PARKING LOTS and stuck at signals.

I don't drive much either, and I don't expect to get very good mpg in local "to the store" drives. It's always going to be low mpg, because the traffic signals and stop signs are still there. It will be low in whatever I drive.

FiatGusto
04-07-2013, 02:32 PM
I also experience the 25-28 mpg. Also 18 mph average speed.

Andree
04-07-2013, 08:18 PM
I also experience the 25-28 mpg. Also 18 mph average speed.

Chances are, you and I would do just fine with an electric car. If we had a place to plug it in. Irregular short trips, no huge long trips. The car would be plugged in and fully charged almost all of the time. And then taken out for those short trips that would normally suck up the gas in a regular car. We're the ones the electric car is made for. And I can't use it without a plug.

Also, since I don't drive much, any additional cost over my Lounge might not be practical. I wouldn't make up the difference in costs in my lifetime.

Fiat500USA
04-07-2013, 09:33 PM
I've always been surprised by my average speed is so low (last I checked - 28mpg). I think if you get on an open road and get to a speed where you can get the car into top gear and maintain a steady speed, you'll see what the car can do. In my case, a steady 45 mph yields the highest mpgs. These roads are a little tough to find around here, though. Throw some hills and stop and go and the mpgs plummet!

Andree
04-08-2013, 07:15 PM
I've always been surprised by my average speed is so low (last I checked - 28mpg). I think if you get on an open road and get to a speed where you can get the car into top gear and maintain a steady speed, you'll see what the car can do. In my case, a steady 45 mph yields the highest mpgs. These roads are a little tough to find around here, though. Throw some hills and stop and go and the mpgs plummet!

The test for the mpg from Honda HQ for my former 2009 Fit was as follows:
Gas station next to/near freeway, fill up to first click.
Get on freeway, keep steady speed of about 55 mph, driving 50 miles in one direction, turn around, come back, driving the same.
Get off freeway where you started, gas up again to first click.

This allows you to see several things. For the Honda, it was to compare the computerized mpg with done by hand mpg. They should match, of course, but that was the year that we had problems with the car's reported mpg. This allowed a report to be sent in to Honda showing the difference between the car and by hand.

This also flabbergasted me, as the mpg in the Fit was like 45 mpg. In the automatic base model. I never, ever got that in my travels. But it was due to my KIND of traveling, where and how I drove. I still haven't done this in the Fiat, but I plan to. That's when you can find out truly what the car is capable of. You want an uncrowded, fairly flat freeway, with little need for braking or accelerating. Just a nice steady pace.

Once you've done the test, you can feel very good about the mpg in your car. It's not the car's fault we have to drive in poor mpg conditions. It's just where we live and what we do.

Also, that is how you can compare on a more level basis, what the highway mpg is, if everyone is doing the same driving test to compare. It's also a great excuse to go for a nice long drive.

luckymoi
04-08-2013, 08:30 PM
Last trip to Fremont for service: 40.0 mpg... Cabrio lounge (automatic) 2012 model
Prior service trip 38.5 mpg

CASD
06-01-2013, 01:39 PM
2013 Pop 500 auto 500mi on it.. City only-No Freeway(Speeds up to 45 between stops) 30.5 MPG Mileage calculated by hand, avg on computer 32.3

madbyrd
06-01-2013, 10:05 PM
Just turned over 28000 miles on my 2012 Pop automatic. Overall mileage at 39mpg; driven 500 miles per week of about 90% daily commute on two-lane 55 mph highway. I set the cruise at 57 mph and watch the InE bounce between 35-55mpg. Absolutely love it for the mileage and the fun. Weekends are my Sport mode around town running errands.

CASD
07-06-2013, 12:25 PM
When my wife was using the pop auto for work(12mi each way stop-in-go 35-45mph) she got 30-32 and now that we have been using it for short trips only 1-2 mi's 30 mph stop-n-go it's only getting 24 mpg....not really happy about that but our Santa Fe 3.5 AWD only got 13mpg for the same..I should be happy :)

Also I checked avg mph 17mph

witchcraftz
09-10-2013, 09:33 PM
I'm averaging 29 mpg in 70% highway and 30% city. Never drive it in sport mode.

CASD
09-15-2013, 11:21 AM
Update: we are working a night second job now so we are driving 20 miles(all City) total 35-45mph 9-12 stop lights avg MPH 18 last tank my calculations 28.9 mpg Car computer 30.1 mpg
I'm happy with that..:)
oh...2013 Pop 500 Auto..

vdawg
10-19-2013, 06:14 AM
Pure highway driving....the computer says 42 mpg. Not pushing it ....probably going 65 to 70 mph. Mixture of highway and around town probably 35 mpg. Mine has 21000 miles on it. Everything loosens up after awhile I've noticed.

Andree
10-07-2014, 07:17 PM
The test for the mpg from Honda HQ for my former 2009 Fit was as follows:
Gas station next to/near freeway, fill up to first click.
Get on freeway, keep steady speed of about 55 mph, driving 50 miles in one direction, turn around, come back, driving the same.
Get off freeway where you started, gas up again to first click.

This allows you to see several things. For the Honda, it was to compare the computerized mpg with done by hand mpg. They should match, of course, but that was the year that we had problems with the car's reported mpg. This allowed a report to be sent in to Honda showing the difference between the car and by hand.

This also flabbergasted me, as the mpg in the Fit was like 45 mpg. In the automatic base model. I never, ever got that in my travels. But it was due to my KIND of traveling, where and how I drove. I still haven't done this in the Fiat, but I plan to. That's when you can find out truly what the car is capable of. You want an uncrowded, fairly flat freeway, with little need for braking or accelerating. Just a nice steady pace.

Once you've done the test, you can feel very good about the mpg in your car. It's not the car's fault we have to drive in poor mpg conditions. It's just where we live and what we do.

Also, that is how you can compare on a more level basis, what the highway mpg is, if everyone is doing the same driving test to compare. It's also a great excuse to go for a nice long drive.

I finally did this today with my 2013 Fiat Lounge Automatic.

Starting miles 2435
Ending miles 2522
Total miles driven 87 hand calc, 87.2 via EVIC

Second fill up used 1.930 gallons. That is how much was used to travel the 87 miles.

MPG: 45.97 hand calc - using 87 miles traveled
45.18 hand calc, 41.6 via EVIC using 87.2 miles traveled.

Time to travel: 1:30
Ave speed: 56 mph

I filled up at Valero on Westborough using the 91 octane, followed 280 south to San Jose. I didn't go for the full 50 miles one way, as at the point where I turned around, the CHP was doing traffic calming and had everyone come to a stop. I exited. And via various construction and confusing on ramps/off ramps, I did a few loop de loops, repeating "but I don't want to go this way". I was on many freeways and stopped at some lights on streets trying to turn around and get back on the freeway. This brought my average speed and undoubtedly my mpg for highway down.

Eventually found my way back on the right path, headed back, gassed up at the original pump to the first click.

I used cruise control, generally keeping it between 60 and 65 mph. Speed limit was 65. Day was clear and sunny, road was dry.

This is a stock, unmodified automatic Lounge. I had the sunroof on vent the entire distance. I had the automatic a/c on for about half the distance (I found warmer temps and lots more sunshine than my home area).

This Lounge does NOT have any kind of spoiler on the rear.

So, there ya go. The estimate of the mpg in the EVIC may be way off, and you may be getting much better mpg than you thought. Do the hand calculations rather than considering the EVIC estimate as being accurate.

The gas pumps are required to be extremely accurate, or there's big trouble with Weights and Measures. The odometer readings are also supposed to be extremely accurate, although we don't get to see tenths. I am assuming that the EVIC is accurately measuring miles traveled, including the tenths and time spent traveling. But that the range, average mpg, average speed are all estimates and not fully accurate, they're just averages.

Nobody gave me the finger for driving too slow. I was faster than the big trucks, slower than everyone else. Stayed in the right lane except when passing one of the big trucks. No tailgating, just leisurely driving along the road, enjoying the golden rolling hills of California.

Saw a lovely 500e in pearl white with black accents on the way down. And on the way back, a brilliant red 500L whizzed by, and a glowing orange with white accents 500e was in front of me aways. Also saw a Tesla, never saw one in person before.

So, there ya go. 45 mpg highway, rolling hills freeway with moments of being lost. Loaded Lounge. Automatic.

Purgatory
10-07-2014, 11:50 PM
My wife's 2013 Fiat 500 Lounge, now has 4800 miles from new. It only has ever had mid-range fuel put into it, and she never, ever has driven her car in sports mode, and yes, she has the automatic. Her overall gas mileage over the 4800 miles is 31.2 MPG. Which if memory serves correctly, is what the window sticker said in the first place. I believe it said 34 on the highway, 28 in town, and average 31. If that is the case, her car is right on target.

And for the record, she has had zero problems with her 500, not a one thus far. Her only wish was that she had a 4 door Fiat with a larger back seat, may swap her into a 500 L the first of the year, or wait till the 500X is available and check one out. She's 100% sold on the Fiat brand, after a lifetime of only ever driving Ford products.

Wally
10-12-2014, 11:24 PM
We have a 13 pop that my wife drives 90% of the time. I doubt she has ever driven in Sport mode and is very easy on the car and in the 39,000 miles she"s put on it has averaged 36.2 mpg using 87 octane regular.

ashurjames
12-05-2014, 01:45 PM
Coming up on 15,000 miles. 32-35 around town. I have seen 40+ on 100 mile freeway trips.

Fabio13
12-05-2014, 08:51 PM
42.2mpg at 45mph speed limit.

SeaDawg
12-07-2014, 05:16 PM
My used 2013 automatic little girl with 39,400+ miles on the clock is showing slightly better in town mileage than my 2013 Abarth 5 speed manual with approx. 4,500 miles.

The manual 'huffer' gets about 27-28 in town and the automatic normal aspirated 1.4 gets 28-30 in town. 1st tank on the A trip odometer and only probably 20 miles so far.

Purgatory
12-09-2014, 02:28 AM
My wife bought a new 2013 500 Lounge on January 31st of this year. She has about 5k miles on it, mostly doing a 12 mile round trip work commute daily. It has the automatic, and she never, ever has used sport mode. Only gas is mid range fuel, never regular. Her overall MPG from new, is 30.6. On a couple of Interstate trips, averaging 75 MPH, her car got up to 34 MPG. So its staying in the range that was indicated on her window sticker and Fiat advertising, so no complaints.

Siem Reap
12-11-2014, 02:54 PM
So far my Pop is averaging around 28/29 mpg in the city. Not sure what highway is since I have not taken it out on the highway yet. I'm sure I'll get the average of 34/35 mpg though.

Andree
08-02-2015, 10:32 PM
On my recent trip to Scottsdale from Cottonwood (round trip) for the Check Engine Light, I brought in a nice 40 mpg. Using only the trip computer, I did not do the full Pure Highway MPG Test, as I'd be driving off the highway to/from the dealership and over to the Trader Joes, then stopped at another store when almost home.

Average speed: 50 mph
Time: 4:07
Miles: 209.4
MPG: 40

2013 Automatic 500 Lounge (with spare tire weight)

Speed limit is up to 75 mph on 17. Slower on 260. Had the a/c on both ways. Very pleased with the mpg. One way is mostly downhill. On the way back the mpg dropped a bit, and then came back up as I neared home (with the last stretch being mostly downhill).

Nice drive, day was cloudy with bits of rain here and there. So it wasn't as hot as it could have been. Especially enjoyed seeing the giant cactus.

Andree
10-20-2015, 11:08 PM
Still being blessed with great mpg. Most recent errand gave 43.5 mpg. It's not a long trip, but covers maybe 30 miles or so? It's my every two weeks trip. And I'm running regular with ethanol (in Arizona). No Sport button, just calm cruise control cruising. And I don't do the 75 mph on the 17, it's a gas sucker. I do 65 and stick to the slow lane.

I was up to 44 mpg and then hit all the stop lights back in town! Arg! Man, those stop lights reduce the mpg, just like that! Loving the wide open spaces here in Arizona.

Mrtmag
11-01-2015, 12:57 AM
I average 35 MPG in town with my 2013 Sport. I use premium grade gas though and I have a K&N air filter to so I'm sure that helps too.

Timetrapper
11-26-2015, 06:20 PM
i get 22mpg on my abarth in sport mode with mainly city driving.

bryanintowson
11-27-2015, 10:08 AM
Still averaging 34mpg in my Lounge. 93 Octane and religiously regular oil changes and maintenance.

Also I just ate a set of spark plugs after changing them out at 32K per spec and now I'm at 58K and they were toast. Even caused me to throw a cylinder 1 misfire code. Dealer tech thought that was a bit odd and replaced the cylinder 1 coil.

So all in all, keep your plugs replaced regularly.

500iEnjoy
03-14-2016, 02:47 PM
2012 Sport with stock wheels for 1st 3 years of a 60mile daily commute 28mpg. With my new commute of 34 miles i get around 30! I got abarth wheels so we shall see with those

SportLaserBlu
04-06-2018, 12:06 AM
2015 sport currently 30 mpg using 5w 30w pennzoil synthetic. At 20,000 miles.
gas / BP 93.
when it was new i was getting 34 mpg.
what kind of oil and gas are you guys using for better mpg.

SeaDawg
04-06-2018, 01:22 PM
Still averaging 34mpg in my Lounge. 93 Octane and religiously regular oil changes and maintenance.

Also I just ate a set of spark plugs after changing them out at 32K per spec and now I'm at 58K and they were toast. Even caused me to throw a cylinder 1 misfire code. Dealer tech thought that was a bit odd and replaced the cylinder 1 coil.

So all in all, keep your plugs replaced regularly.

My 2016 Sport now specifies 100,000 mile plug changes. I checked and they now recommend the Iridium plugs used in the turbocharged cars for the Normally Aspirated 500's.

SeaDawg
04-06-2018, 01:26 PM
My 2016 does NOT get 27 mpg in town. It is usually between 20-23 mpg, usually trending lower. The car has a little over 2,000 miles on it, but I've never noticed any uptick in mileage on any of my FIATs even after 5,000 miles.