PDA

View Full Version : TPMS light won't go off

Jjm4life
11-06-2012, 05:54 PM
I hate tpms. Anyone know how to shut the warning off? Says my front two tires are off, but both my digital gauge and the air pump i used said i was ot on. Car sat outside for a few days,and my pressure was a few psi low, but its right now.

Thad
11-06-2012, 07:18 PM
It requires driving at least a few miles to reset.

Jjm4life
11-06-2012, 07:24 PM
It requires driving at least a few miles to reset.

thanks. i drove maybe 1-2 miles max after reinflating my tires. guess ill give it more time. the light annoys the sh!t out of me. i really wish cars didnt require so many govt nannies. best part of both my lotus and my noble were how few things there were to go wrong. my motorcyle has no gauges, turn singals, hell not even a battery.

Mini Cord
11-06-2012, 09:54 PM
I had the same problem with mine. The tire pressure was bang on but the light would not go off.

I found out that if you leave the ignition on while you inflate them, and you bring them up past the required pressure, then deflate it to the right pressure the light will go off.

Seems like the TPMS has a Upper and lower values, ie 35 and 30, It will go off once it goes below 30, but will not reset if it doesn't go up past 35.

Most people will have the light reset after driving since tires will warm up and have a slight increase in air pressure. But when it's cold, it might not inflate enough.

Hope this helps!

pastor passum
11-06-2012, 10:26 PM
The owner's manual says after inflating the tire to the proper pressure you may need to drive the vehicle for as much as 20 minutes at over 15 MPH.

Robert Nixon
11-06-2012, 11:15 PM
Like the obnoxious VCR blinking clock of year's past, one cure for offensive dash display warnings is to cover them up with a little Post-it sticky note!

msjulie33
11-07-2012, 01:25 AM
the light annoys the sh!t out of me. i really wish cars didnt require so many govt nannies.

not only that, more gadgets and stuff to fail. checking your tire pressure yourself really isn't that hard...

jguerdat
11-07-2012, 09:13 AM
True enough but remember the Ford Exploder fiasco of tires rupturing? Low tire pressures were the problem and is obvious on many cars and trucks driving in front of you. How many people do you know that actually check their tire pressures on a regular basis (or even know what they're supposed to be)? After having a flat on the stock Pirellis when the TPMS went off and I didn't believe it, I'm now more wary of visual cues with short stiff sidewalls. I had thought I was tuned in but I sorely missed this one...

msjulie33
11-07-2012, 11:04 AM
True enough but remember the Ford Exploder fiasco of tires rupturing? Low tire pressures were the problem and is obvious on many cars and trucks driving in front of you. How many people do you know that actually check their tire pressures on a regular basis (or even know what they're supposed to be)? After having a flat on the stock Pirellis when the TPMS went off and I didn't believe it, I'm now more wary of visual cues with short stiff sidewalls. I had thought I was tuned in but I sorely missed this one...

Yeah we actually had an exploder for a while - ick. I get your point but kinda irks me folks want the 'right' to drive around in tons of crash potential and don't think they should have the responsibility for keeping it in at least a reasonably serviceable condition...

Sorry.. ranting :) I do like the TPMS system in my Cooper tons better, uses the ABS sensors which means less expensive, rims can be swapped w/o headaches and still manages to tell me when there's a nail in the tire.

FiatCares
11-07-2012, 12:31 PM
I had the same problem with mine. The tire pressure was bang on but the light would not go off.

I found out that if you leave the ignition on while you inflate them, and you bring them up past the required pressure, then deflate it to the right pressure the light will go off.

Seems like the TPMS has a Upper and lower values, ie 35 and 30, It will go off once it goes below 30, but will not reset if it doesn't go up past 35.

Most people will have the light reset after driving since tires will warm up and have a slight increase in air pressure. But when it's cold, it might not inflate enough.

Hope this helps!

I know with most vehicles that have the TPMS, you can reset the values (psi) on the system and make those the primary values (once you inflate or deflate to your desired pressure). Having said that, Im still trying to find out if the Fiat's systems has that option.

Robert Nixon
11-07-2012, 01:53 PM
Pretty sure I read that TPMS is now required for cars sold in the US. If so it's just not an option for new cars, like it or not.

Jjm4life
11-07-2012, 11:34 PM
Pretty sure I read that TPMS is now required for cars sold in the US. If so it's just not an option for new cars, like it or not.

You're right. Has been since 08 I think. Still doesnt mean i have to like it. At 38psi on KWs the ride is brutal.