PDA

View Full Version : Hideing the key

Dante
10-31-2012, 07:06 AM
One of the reasons I wanted this car was i thought
It would be a good car to take of surfing trips...
But i have to find a way to hide the key... I guess the back bumper is the best
Place... Are there other solutions... I dont want to come out of the
Water and not have those electric seats to warm up on! I literally could get hypothermia or something

hownowcb
10-31-2012, 10:56 AM
I've used waterproof cigarette or cell phone cases on lanyards or clipped to a belt. No way I'm leaving my keys for someone to find! But if you must -- deep inside one of your tailpipes.

Welchlin
12-19-2012, 12:55 AM
If you are willing to leave your hood slightly popped you can do what they've done here: (Shown at minute mark 3:20)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywmtrrFf4xo

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
12-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Mine has a plastic cowl in that spot. I think that must have been a prototype.

jflexe99
12-19-2012, 12:52 PM
Waterproof wristlet, belt...anything that won't affect your performance.

Or could always have a small little lock box attached to the car somehow, you can carry a small key I am sure on you...Not too hard of a choice IMO. Much better than leaving the key on the car with no lock option.

White Abarth
12-19-2012, 08:32 PM
I ordered a fob case off eBay that didn't include any electronics, but did include a blank key blade. Maybe get one of those then have your studio cut the blade to fit your car. Hide your real key somewhere safe and dry inside the car and use the blade to just lock/unlock the driver's door. The fob can be dismantled and the blade removed which you can take it with you and not have to worry about it getting wet.

I can't say for certain, but I don't think the car will start with just the blade. I believe the embedded electronics of the fob are needed to actually start the engine, but for opening and closing the door it will work fine. If you have the alarm system on your car, opening with just the key may set off the horn.

I've also seen small hitch-mounted key boxes with a combination dial. Of course you'd have to have a hitch on the car.