PDA

View Full Version : I washed my car and the paint pealed off

jasonL
10-29-2012, 09:00 AM
Beautiful Sunday morning. Perfect weather for washing my new car.

Hosed down the car to get the first layer of stuff off of it, then used an ultra soft hand mitten dipped into a clean bucket of water combined with very mild car wash soap. Scrubbed here and there, rinse, touch-up, rinse, now ready to dry.

Unfold my soft and fluffy microfiber towel and begin to dry the car. So far so good. Then I notice on the front of the car, just below the chrome "mustache" to the left of the FIAT emblem, what appears to be a dried glob of dead insect. No worries; I take my soft and fluffy microfiber towel and begin to rub the dead creature off of my paint - and then - OFF COMES THE PAINT!

Like, um...really? I was using a microfiber towel, not a kitchen sponge or steal wool. A few rubs with a wet soft and fluffy microfiber towel tears through the top clear coat, through all paint layers and exposes bare black under-layer? Really?

Attached are two photos. First one is a shot from about a foot and a half away from the spot that pealed off, second one is about as close as I could get while maintaining focus. The spot is approximately 3/8 of an inch across; just big enough to really piss me off.

Can the quality of the paint job on my new Lounge be so bad as to peal back when I try to clean bug guts off it?

...snapshot from about a foot and a half away, give or take.

...as close as I could get.

Dwaynek
10-29-2012, 09:36 AM
Wow must have been an imperfection when painting, trip to the dealership!

William M Jacocks Jr
10-29-2012, 09:52 AM
Looks like bad priming. You do have coverage for that and I hope they do it right by you.

CMW4
10-29-2012, 09:36 PM
Same issues with my car, i had to have both front and rear bumper repaint and the lower side rocker cover.

Berliner
10-30-2012, 05:18 AM
HHHm this does not look like pealing Paint to me..... More like an Insect Impact .. That poor Insect was holding on for Dear Life because you just had too much Fun in your Fiat........ In the Process the Paint came loose.

All joking aside i hope your Fiat Dealer will take Care of you. Keep us posted......

jasonL
11-03-2012, 10:15 AM
OK. I visited my Fiat dealer yesterday (Nov 2). Not the one I purchased my car from (they are 40 miles from me and I am not too fond of them)...but a dealer only 7 miles from me.

I called the dealer, told them what was going on with my paint, and asked if an appointment was needed. They said no appointment was needed; just drop by and someone in the service center would evaluate the situation.

So I show up unannounced, park the car and drop into the service center. Guy behind the desk greets me. I tell him that I have a brand new car with paint pealing off of the front of it. He looked somewhat surprised and we step out to...evaluate the situation.

The evaluation:

I explain what happened; I washed my car and the paint came off. He says, "Hmm...that shouldn't happen." (Um, yeah. Ya think?) He says, "Well, let's take some pictures, get your information and send it to Fiat. There's really nothing we [the dealer] can do here. We can only act after Fiat provides a response."

He breaks out his personal cell phone and squats down to bumper level, then attempts to focus and take pictures. I did my best to see what he was focusing on and to make sure that his shots were, in fact, in focus. He took 3 pictures, with 1 of the 3 at my suggestion as I pointed out the flaky paint below the chrome "mustache" to the left of the Fiat emblem which I believe is additional evidence of a poor paint job. He then took a picture of my license plate and my VIN number on the dash.

That was it. That was the evaluation.

His job form this point? Email everything to Fiat and wait for a claim number and a response. He said it could take 2-3 business days, so I should be assigned a claim number by mid-week.

- He never gave me his name
- He never asked for my name'
- He never even said he was sorry about this happening.

I had to ask HIM for his card so I had some way of contacting him to follow up. (I never leave these things in the hands of those who say they are going to do something. I always follow up!)

I was going to press him to enter all the information in the computer while I was there -- you know -- just to make sure it got done before the day was done. But I left it alone. Let these guys do it there way...for now.

I am going to send the guy an email today to thank him for his time, restate the problem, and that I look forward to whatever help he can provide. The paper trail will begin with me, because if I don't start one, no one will.

Until next time...

- J

Red Dwarf
11-03-2012, 11:58 AM
Unbelievable! I have detailed a lot of cars and there is no way that should happen! Even if you used dishwashing soap and a rough sponge or dirty towel the worst that should happen is some swirls on the clearcoat. You have to do some serious scrubbing with some abrasive stuff to actually remove paint. They better fix this and with more speed that they have shown you. IMO anyway.

SeaDawg
11-03-2012, 02:57 PM
The dealership has to wait for 'FIAT Imaging' to approve the repair to get compensated. The dealer didn't build the car FIAT did, so it's FIAT's responsibility to pay to have it repaired correctly. Patience isn't a virtue many of us are imbued with, but sometimes you just have to wait.

RLove
11-03-2012, 03:03 PM
I can't help myself...did the paint make a ringing sound as it pealed off? :confused

jasonL
11-03-2012, 09:01 PM
Oh my. I used an incorrect vowel. I will hang myself tonight.

Pinecone
11-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Also, they don't have to ask who you are. They have your VIN, which means they know who you are.

But taking pictures of paint issues and sending them to Fiat is the way they do it. Check other threads here.

jasonL
11-04-2012, 01:02 PM
Also, they don't have to ask who you are. They have your VIN, which means they know who you are.

Yeah, I know. But you'd think that the customer service dude would at least introduce himself to me. I had to ask him for his biz card so I knew who to follow up with during the week. It's the "service" part of customer service that was a bit remiss, in my opinion.

Anyway - all I can do is sit back and wait.

Pinecone
11-04-2012, 07:22 PM
I did not address that side of it. :)

But yes, he should have introduced himself.

jasonL
11-11-2012, 08:58 AM
Update...er rather...no update.

- Silence from the dealer
- No phone call, no update
- I called the rep mid-week to check on my claim and he had no idea who I was (How could he? He never asked for my name!) - I had to remind him when I came in, and why. He hemmed and hawed and said it would, "...be a few more days". Uh hu.
- Next day I sent the rep an email to start my paper trail, which included a summary of my discussion w/him on the Friday I visited the dealer along with an extra set of photos "just in case" he needed them.

I am headed out of town on business for a week, then I'll be gone for another week on vacation for Thanksgiving.

It would be in the dealer's best interest to respond to my request for an update; at least acknowledge my existence.

Good news is - no additional paint has peeled away since the first...peeling (PROPER vowel use today). But every time I open the garage door and see that little Fiat face looking back at me, I can't help but spot that fleck of spinach between its teeth.

Until next time...

- J

jasonL
11-16-2012, 06:33 PM
Here is an update...

After I sent my second email to the rep over a 5 day period asking for the status of my claim, he finally replied.

His reply informed me that I have to come in to the Fiat studio a 2nd time. Why? Because his personal cell phone photos of my peeling paint could not be used by Fiat to determine claim eligibility. Fuzzy, crummy pictures. Gee, what a surprise.

So...Fiat is aware of my issue, but now I have get pictures taken again.

When I make my 2nd visit, I will make sure I stand over the rep's shoulders has he takes the photos and do the same as he uploads them to the studio's computer. I will not leave the studio until I know he has sent them to Fiat.

But none of this will happen until the first week of December as I am traveling on business/holiday and won't be back home until then.

*sigh* - J

Zack Hurst
11-16-2012, 06:35 PM
Here is an update...

After I sent my second email to the rep over a 5 day period asking for the status of my claim, he finally replied.

His reply informed me that I have to come in to the Fiat studio a 2nd time. Why? Because his personal cell phone photos of my peeling paint could not be used by Fiat to determine claim eligibility. Fuzzy, crummy pictures. Gee, what a surprise.

So...Fiat is aware of my issue, but now I have get pictures taken again.

When I make my 2nd visit, I will make sure I stand over the rep's shoulders has he takes the photos and do the same as he uploads them to the studio's computer. I will not leave the studio until I know he has sent them to Fiat.

But none of this will happen until the first week of December as I am traveling on business/holiday and won't be back home until then.

*sigh* - J

That sucks man. I hope this all works out for you!

jasonL
01-18-2013, 02:26 PM
Update:

Fiat viewed the pictures of the paint peeling off my bumper and finally responded.

Fiat believes that, "...an outside influence caused the chipping."

Oh I agree with that, for sure. The outside influence is the sh*tty paint job on my bumper.

Exactly how much paint needs to peel off the bumper after each washing before Fiat fesses up to the fact that their paint jobs suck?

Oh. And I'm a liar too, according to Fiat.
Washing the car, rubbing off dirt, and taking paint with it? Yeah, I made all that up.

- J

Wolfie
01-18-2013, 03:56 PM
Park your car in front of the dealer and hold a giant sign posting your issue ...

FiatCares
01-18-2013, 04:03 PM
Update:

Fiat viewed the pictures of the paint peeling off my bumper and finally responded.

Oh I agree with that, for sure. The outside influence is the sh*tty paint job on my bumper.

Exactly how much paint needs to peel off the bumper after each washing before Fiat fesses up to the fact that their paint jobs suck?

Washing the car, rubbing off dirt, and taking paint with it? Yeah, I made all that up.

- J

When Digital Imaging declines a warranty repair due to environmental factor, abuse or neglect, there is no way I can overturn that decision. The only way that I may be able to help is after the repair is made. If you are made to pay for the repair out of pocket, then at that point I can review it for partial goodwill reimbursement. I would require the work invoice and proof of payment faxed or emailed to me. I will PM you my information.

Pronto
01-18-2013, 05:49 PM
Update:

- J
Sorry Jason, hate to be as spoil sport, but that looks suspiciously similar to a shopping cart bump. The cart impact loosened the paint and all it took was a rub of the cloth to knock it off. Those bumpers are bendable because they are plastic. The dead bug was incidental. I hope Fiat Cares (Jonathon?) can get you a sympathy rebate! I know how dissapointing those blemishes are every time you look at your car!!!

Rock Abarth
01-18-2013, 06:47 PM
Sorry Jason, hate to be as spoil sport, but that looks suspiciously similar to a shopping cart bump. The cart impact loosened the paint and all it took was a rub of the cloth to knock it off. Those bumpers are bendable because they are plastic. The dead bug was incidental. I hope Fiat Cares (Jonathon?) can get you a sympathy rebate! I know how dissapointing those blemishes are every time you look at your car!!!

If it had been a shopping cart it would have taken impact on the chrome trim as it sticks out much farther than the painted part. Looks like poor thin quality to me.

jasonL
01-18-2013, 08:33 PM
Sorry Jason, hate to be as spoil sport, but that looks suspiciously similar to a shopping cart bump. The cart impact loosened the paint and all it took was a rub of the cloth to knock it off.

Um...yeah. I don't park anywhere near shopping carts - EVER. Let me refer back to the original post: I WASHED MY CAR AND THE PAINT PEELED OFF. OK? No impact to the bumper; no rocks, no carts, no cats, no people, places or things hit my car.

When I applied soap, there was paint ON THAT PART OF THE BUMPER.
When I wiped off the soap, the PAINT CAME OFF WITH THE SOAP.

The g*ddamn paint peeled off as I wiped the bumper with a soft, fluffy, overpriced microfiber cloth!

Ok...deep breath.

Hey -happy new year everyone.

- J

4carbcorvair
01-20-2013, 04:48 PM
Being new here, and not trying to be an arse.... I worked in body shops for over 8 years. That definitely looks like something just hit the bumper enough to loosen/take off the paint. I have seen bumpers that were not prepped properly for paint, and the peeling edges have straight, smooth lines. Those are jagged like something bumped it. Because you did not see a shopping cart or such near it, doesn't mean someone didn't hit it while you were not around. There may have been a shopping cart and a store employee moved it before you came out. Or someone bumped into it with a vehichle, or backed into it lightly with by a trailer hitch or such.

Andree
01-21-2013, 08:41 PM
Being new here, and not trying to be an arse.... I worked in body shops for over 8 years. That definitely looks like something just hit the bumper enough to loosen/take off the paint. I have seen bumpers that were not prepped properly for paint, and the peeling edges have straight, smooth lines. Those are jagged like something bumped it. Because you did not see a shopping cart or such near it, doesn't mean someone didn't hit it while you were not around. There may have been a shopping cart and a store employee moved it before you came out. Or someone bumped into it with a vehichle, or backed into it lightly with by a trailer hitch or such.

For that matter, the car could have been bumped before it got to the dealership. Or at the dealership. Bear with me for this not-really-related-but-kind-of-is-story.

I had a sink back up. Have the metal sink with the white coating stuff. Maintenance came in, used their power snake, made some banging noises in the sink itself, opened the clog, everything was fine. DAYS later, I go to wash my hands, and a chunk of the white coating stuff in the sink comes off. All I did was turn on the water, try to get it warm.

The chip sure as heck didn't come from the water pressure, LOL. Nor is my soap so caustic that it could vaporize a section of the sink.

The damage was done when the fella was banging the tool inside the sink, obviously. But it may have been the water temperature that finally freed the piece, or maybe just the cycling of the sink being wet, then dry, then wet, then dry. Or the room temp sink, then cold water on it.

Likewise, with a wood storage unit. It was not damaged or visibly cracked at all when I unpacked it. I would totally have NOTICED a chunk appearing to be falling off. And one night, just sitting here, nothing and no one around the storage unit, I hear a loud CRACK. Again, nothing remotely nearby that could have caused that damage at that moment.

When I called the customer service, they said the damage could have occurred in transit, and that acclimating to the environment in my apartment could have made the damage just POP like it did (air wetter or drier). They sent a replacement and I returned the damaged unit.

Somewhere, at some time, that bumper was banged by something. The bumper flexed just enough to loosen the paint from the flexed part. And over time, it got to the point it finally popped off.

If it was a truly crappy batch of paint or the bumper wasn't prepared/primed properly, there should be a lot more paint coming off in the future. And it might not be limited to just your car. There would be others, probably around the same VIN sequence.

That's something that Fiat can check over time. If it is several cars with the same problem, they'll know in time, and probably have a recall/refund/repaint thingie set up for the folks affected. It doesn't help you NOW, but save your pics and receipts of anything you have done.

It's not just shopping carts or cars. There are strollers and bicycles and walkers and wheelchairs. Rocks get thrown up by cars. Kids or adults flinging stuff (Frisbee damage???). Someone carrying their reusable tote bag from the grocery store full of canned goods.

And a ding, dent, or scrape will probably happen to most all of us.

geomac
02-19-2013, 07:04 AM
I purchased 2 Fiat lounges from two different dealers my wifes black mine azzuro. My paint quality showed many swirl marks/light scratch type marks right when I got . I never ran neither car through an automatic car wash but still poor paint was obvious. Fiat has paid for a detail we will see how it lasts. On another note bird droppings hit my wifes car. I tried getting it off within one day and couldn't. A professional detailer was able to get it off with a clay bar. I've owned many cars but have yet to find paint so delicate. I like my cars and hope I don't have more issues down the road but maybe the factory is cheap with paint process. Maybe a thicker clearcoat.

Andree
02-19-2013, 10:03 AM
I purchased 2 Fiat lounges from two different dealers my wifes black mine azzuro. My paint quality showed many swirl marks/light scratch type marks right when I got . I never ran neither car through an automatic car wash but still poor paint was obvious. Fiat has paid for a detail we will see how it lasts. On another note bird droppings hit my wifes car. I tried getting it off within one day and couldn't. A professional detailer was able to get it off with a clay bar. I've owned many cars but have yet to find paint so delicate. I like my cars and hope I don't have more issues down the road but maybe the factory is cheap with paint process. Maybe a thicker clearcoat.

Dark cars show swirls. I used to have a solid black car (non-metallic). You'd think I used sandpaper on the thing sometimes. I've had yellow and white cars, none of them showed swirls at all. I now have the light green, and there are no swirls. I haven't done anything to the paint and if washed by the dealership before I bought it, they didn't swirl it up.

If you're waxing it up yourself, you may be creating the marks. Not kidding. I certainly wasn't TRYING to scratch up my car, I was TRYING to get it nice and shiny. But that black was a real stickler for a light touch. And because the sun heated up the car dramatically (surface temp of black is much higher than light colors), washing and fussing could only be done in the shade on cooler days.

I never hand-waxed my last car, in four years. It was not swirled at all. I haven't waxed this car yet, probably won't. Just that spray wax stuff that comes out of the touchless car wash is what it gets.

I've said it many times: Nothing shinier than a clean black car. Nothing looks worse than a swirled black car too. It would show every single place where the wax was thick, where a droplet of water had landed and evaporated and baked a little "droplet dent" into the wax. Putting a cloth cover over the car only covered the car with LINT! Which then I'd dust off.

I'm too old and cranky to be out dusting cars. I leave that to the folks that enjoy it, as it was a labor of love at the time.

Next time you're out and about, really LOOK at other cars, in parking lots, at traffic signals, etc. You'll start to see what colors show EVERYTHING and what colors don't.

To emphasize the point about black, there are specific "black car" products.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVPtEzhGZEE

This site also has a video, as well as some girl in a swimsuit top paired with underwear. And what do they illustrate their products on? Mostly black cars. And a metallic blue.
http://www.chemicalguys.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=GAP_619_16&Click=33909

There's even a Wikihow on waxing black cars:
http://www.wikihow.com/Wax-a-Black-Car

More to read about black cars and black car wax(ing):
http://www.carsdirect.com/car-maintenance/black-car-wax-tips-for-waxing-black-cars

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?21549-Technique-For-Waxing-Black-Cars

Notice in the last forum, there are many related threads about black cars. It's not one particular auto brand that shows scratches, swirls, etc, it's the COLOR. See pics in this thread:
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?2783-buffer-holograms-on-black-cars&

lamonster
03-08-2013, 09:23 PM
Good luck! I've already had my entire hood re-sprayed & retouched up, the rear bumper touched up. All in total 14 paint chips on the car within 3k miles. It Now has 8k miles on it And that doesn't include all the mechanical problems reoccurring. I own two of these little gems, One Sport and one POP both 2012 models. Both have had multiple issues but the Sport is constantly in the shop! I go to start the car and the starter spins free without cranking the engine, like it never engages the flywheel. The starter motor has acted up so many times I cant remember how often. It has been in the shop 6 times to date for the starter motor and has had multiple starter motors replaced. I kept telling the dealer to check the teeth on the flywheel, they say its all good. oh.... The arm rest on both cars replaced or "fixed" at least twice on each car. A Pcv valve just fell off and oil smell inside the Pop. loose front end suspension issues on the POP. hmm lets see, Oh yeah the sport just died shut itself off while pulling out of my driveway last weekend. Time for the Lemmon Law!

jasonL
03-10-2013, 11:04 AM
Good luck! I've already had my entire hood re-sprayed & retouched up, the rear bumper touched up. All in total 14 paint chips on the car within 3k miles. It Now has 8k miles on it And that doesn't include all the mechanical problems reoccurring. I own two of these little gems, One Sport and one POP both 2012 models. Both have had multiple issues but the Sport is constantly in the shop! I go to start the car and the starter spins free without cranking the engine, like it never engages the flywheel. The starter motor has acted up so many times I cant remember how often. It has been in the shop 6 times to date for the starter motor and has had multiple starter motors replaced. I kept telling the dealer to check the teeth on the flywheel, they say its all good. oh.... The arm rest on both cars replaced or "fixed" at least twice on each car. A Pcv valve just fell off and oil smell inside the Pop. loose front end suspension issues on the POP. hmm lets see, Oh yeah the sport just died shut itself off while pulling out of my driveway last weekend. Time for the Lemmon Law!

Wow. I come back to my thread after many weeks and then read lamonster's post about his paint chips and loopy flywheel and arm rest and...wow.

Lamonster, please keep us appraised of your situation!

Now for an update on my situation.

As mentioned earlier, Fiat corporate denied my claim to fix my flawed (never ever touched by a shopping cart or any other damned object) paint. However, I was told that if I took it to a body shop and had the work done, then maybe I could get partially reimbursed for the work. I asked my Fiat studio if they do their own body work or if they outsource. They said they outsource but would not share with me the name of the shop they use. How nice of them. Strike 1.

This all happened several weeks ago. Fast forward to last week, I called the studio to set-up an appointment for two things. First thing was to get my wiper stalk replaced (I address this in thread 7904 (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?7904)). Second thing was to get my oil changed. Matrix chart on p.63 of my user guide clearly recommends an oil change every 6 months or 8,000 miles. I've had the car for 6 months but I only have 2,800 miles on the car. Time to get the oil changed. It's going to be in the shop anyway, so...let's get it done.

I call the dealer to set-up an appointment. Service guy begins to argue with me about my oil change request. "Well, if you only have 2,800 miles you really don't need your oil changed. You only need one ever 8,000 miles. We can just check it for you." I realize the guy was trying to be nice (giving him the benefit of the doubt here) but this went on for several minutes. I kept offering to pay them for a service, they kept trying to talk me out of it.

Tip for service guy: Do not tell your customers what they need; listen to them and respond to their needs.

I finally get the service guy to accept my business and make an appointment for the following day. The next day I get a friend to follow me to the studio and I meet with the service guy. I confirm my needs with him and he types and prints two service tickets; one for the warranty work (wiper stalk) and one for the oil change. I sign both tickets. He then says he'll call me when the car is ready. I ask for copies of what I signed. "Oh I don't think I can do that." he says. What? He then reminds me that I'm in the computer. Really? Wow, how cool. I again ask for a copy of what I signed. I tell him I'm an "old school" kind of guy and would like something tangible to take with when I leave the dealership. I'm told to wait as he wanders into his supervisor's office for guidance on what was apparently a baffling request. Supervisor says, "Um, yeah...just print him a copy of what he signed." That only took 10 minutes. Strike 2.

So I get my paper copies and then ask the service guy about one last thing - an additional key; a valet key. When I purchased my car I was told I could order a valet key and I wanted to do that.

"A what?" asks the service guy.

"A valet key."

"Um, I don't know if we can do that. Let me check on that for you."

He writes on a sticky note a reminder for himself to find out about...a "valley key" [yes, that's how he spelled it]. I said nothing. I just shook my head and had my friend take me home.

Several hours later, phone call received, car ready. When I am not traveling I work at home, so I had to finish my day's worth of calls and number crunching before I could pick up the car. I informed the service guy I wouldn't be back to pick up the car until after 6:00 so he could make arrangements for my late pick-up. He said no problem. "The night time guys will be ready for you." OK fine.

I get to the studio at 6:15 PM and see my car parked in the lot. I walk in the front door and inform the desk dude that the little white one in front is mine and I'm here to pick it up. "I had a some warranty work done along with an oil change," I tell him, thinking he'd be aware of my specific case since I was told that the night guys would be prepared for me when I got there.

Well, about 30 minutes later (yes, 30 minutes) I am finally driving off the lot. You see, they couldn't find my paperwork. And when the did find my paperwork they couldn't find my keys (brought my spare with me just in case). And after they found my keys they couldn't figure out how much I should pay them because they had two tickets, one for the oil change and one for warranty work, and they didn't understand why one ticket was $39.00 and the other was zero. Strike 3

It's Survey Time

The following night I get a phone call from the studio; a very nice girl asking if I'd be willing to take a survey about my recent service visit. "Of course I'll take your survey," I said.

It starts off swimmingly. "Overall, are you completely satisfied with your recent service experience at our studio?" My answer: No.

I went on to explain everything to the survey girl what I've outlined here. She apologized over and over and was very professional. She said that the service director would call me the following day.

The next day the service director did call me and we had a nice chat. "We are a new studio and we're trying to work things out..." he said. Yeah, OK.

So that was my first service experience at a new studio. My wiper stalk problem has been resolved, but...I now have another problem. My steering wheel is off-center. You can read a short post about that here (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?7904-Rear-Wiper-on-Car-but-Wrong-Control-on-Wheel&p=594257&viewfull=1#post594257).

Oh, one last thing. I never received any information about a valet key. I told the service director about that. He said he didn't even think Fiat makes a valet key for the 500.

Fiat?
...hello Fiat?
...wake-up please.

- J

cmj912
03-11-2013, 10:00 AM

Regarding your swirl marks, many cars will start to show swirls within a few months because they were incorrectly detailed before they were sold to you. The cars come off the truck, they go onto the lot, and sit and bake on all manner of crap until they are pressure-washed (big no-no) at high velocity periodically to remove the dust and dirt and keep them looking 'fresh' on the lot.

Then you come in and buy the car. It is sent around back to be 'prepped', where the car is sent through an automatic car wash - or pressure-washed again and washed with a rag - and then waxed using an rotary buffer. All this does is swirl around all of the rail dust and dirt that has been stuck on the car all along. Because the wax was cheap and crappy, once it wears off, the swirls show.

What you are seeing was probably on the car all along.

Unless you trust your dealer implicitly, you should never let them wash your car or detail it. These are not detail shops. They are there to clean you up and get you rolling. If you think they went around your car with a fine-tooth comb looking for everything that could have been cosmetically wrong with it before you bought it you are kidding yourself.

I don't mean to sound harsh at all. But people think dealers care what the cars look like cosmetically...and they do to some extent...but only until you've approved the sale.

As for Jason, I understand that this is frustrating and difficult.
Unfortunately, I think the claim is being denied because there isn't any way to prove how the chipping occurred. My first 500 was white and got rammed by a shopping cart. I saw it happen. A gust of wind got that thing going about 15 mph and whacked it but good. While the bumper 'recovered' and there was no ding, per se, after a while I could see that the ram had separated the bumper from the paint. It was only going to be a matter of time before that paint might crack and then perhaps even peel off.

Shopping carts come in many different shapes and sizes. Mine was a Home Depot version. And yes, it hit just below the passenger chrome mustache without hitting the mustache itself.

Paint issues suck. On Friday, another employee where I work hit my door with hers. Hard. Yet again, not holding their door when opening it in close quarters on a windy day.
The ding was much worse than it looked when it dried. I was lucky to be able to get right into paintless dent repair to fix it; there is still a small scratch on the door but it looks 100% better than it did.

But I digress. How much would it cost to have the bumper peel touched up? I understand that in principle this is not your aim here - but - I have to tell you...once I just paid for them to fix the ding and I was on my way I let go of it and feel a lot better.

I'm just saying...

Andree
03-11-2013, 03:13 PM
What valet key?

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?5385-Valet-Key

Purpose of Valet Key:
"Some cars come with an additional key known as a valet key that starts the ignition and opens the driver's side door, but prevents the valet from gaining access to valuables that are located in the trunk or the glove box. Some valet keys, particularly those to high-performance vehicles, go so far as to restrict the engine's power output to prevent joyriding."

via Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valet_key#Car_key

There is no limiting engine output option on the Fiat. The glove and trunk are accessible from inside, without locks.

Andree
03-11-2013, 03:16 PM

You did read in the manual where it says the car may not start on the first try, right? It also says not to keep cranking it. Turn the key off, and then retry. My car did this the very first time I went to start it at the dealership, with the Fiat specialist in the car, and he said it's NORMAL!!!! There are threads on this. It's IN THE MANUAL.

jasonL
03-11-2013, 08:01 PM
Andree - when I purchased my car, I asked about buying a 3rd key. "Oh those are expensive," says the sales guy. "We can get you a valet key for a lot less."

That's the valet key I'm talkin' about. The one the sales guy said he could get for me; the one without a transmitter in it to open my door & pop my trunk remotely.

I'm only asking for what the sales guy said Fiat could provide me.

If sales guy was incorrect, so be it. But was he? I don't really know.

- JL

Andree
03-11-2013, 10:44 PM
Andree - when I purchased my car, I asked about buying a 3rd key. "Oh those are expensive," says the sales guy. "We can get you a valet key for a lot less."

That's the valet key I'm talkin' about. The one the sales guy said he could get for me; the one without a transmitter in it to open my door & pop my trunk remotely.

I'm only asking for what the sales guy said Fiat could provide me.

If sales guy was incorrect, so be it. But was he? I don't really know.

- JL

Call me stupid, but isn't a valet the person who parks your car? So they need to drive the car? So the key they need would have to start the car and open the door (assuming they lock the car after parking it). They can use the key manually to open either door, but a key without being coded won't start the car.

Page 14 of the manual:
Sentry Key
The Sentry Key Immobilizer System prevents unauthorized vehicle operation by disabling the engine. The system does not need to be armed or activated. Operation is automatic, regardless of whether the vehicle is locked or unlocked. The system uses ignition keys which have an embedded electronic chip (transponder) to prevent unauthorized vehicle operation. Therefore, only keys that are programmed to the vehicle can be used to start and operate the vehicle.
NOTE: A key which has not been programmed is also considered an invalid key, even if it is cut to fit the ignition switch lock cylinder for that vehicle.
Page 15
NOTE: Only keys that have been programmed to the vehicle electronics can be used to start the vehicle. Once a Sentry Key has been programmed to a vehicle, it cannot be programmed to any other vehicle.

The only thing I can think of would be to have a key programmed, but remove the actual ignition key from the rest of it. Which would cost the same. It would let you open and lock doors and trunk with the remote, but you couldn't start the car. Or manually open/lock doors with key.

Andree
03-12-2013, 12:31 AM
Ya know, I just googled Chrysler Valet Key, and they do have them for vehicles WITH trunks, and locking storage compartments. If your sales person was familiar with the Chrysler vehicles, he may have assumed the Fiat had similar locking compartments. But we don't.

Here's one thread with folks chatting about Valet Keys:
http://www.lxforums.com/board/f74/question-about-valet-key-202501/

I bet that's it.

newcastle
03-18-2013, 12:12 AM
looks like a quick dab of touch up paint and forget about it. If there isn't any other chipping/flaking problems then I don't see a problem with the paint. Driving the vehicle at various speeds with stones and other debris moving at the car at various speeds.......chips happen.

Mr. Man
03-19-2013, 12:11 PM
looks like a quick dab of touch up paint and forget about it. If there isn't any other chipping/flaking problems then I don't see a problem with the paint. Driving the vehicle at various speeds with stones and other debris moving at the car at various speeds.......chips happen.

+1

josegomez6815
05-02-2013, 02:23 AM
The paint on my front bumper peeled off when washing my car as well. Chrysler denied my claim saying that "it is damage due to road hazards"

here is a photo of the bumper.