PDA

View Full Version : Paint peeling on area between windshield and sunroof

JStrick
10-25-2012, 07:41 PM
I've been lurking on this forum for a while and never registered because I could always find answers to my questions. Today I noticed that the black paint was peeling on the area between the windshield and the sunroof. I'm not a car person but I'm thinking the black part is actually a film because it peels off pretty easily. I'm going to the dealer for my 27000 mile check up so I'll ask them but I was just curious to see if anyone else had this problem. I've included a photo below that will hopefully help explain what I'm talking about

Fiat500USA
10-26-2012, 12:24 AM
I've been lurking on this forum for a while and never registered because I could always find answers to my questions. Today I noticed that the black paint was peeling on the area between the windshield and the sunroof. I'm not a car person but I'm thinking the black part is actually a film because it peels off pretty easily. I'm going to the dealer for my 27000 mile check up so I'll ask them but I was just curious to see if anyone else had this problem. I've included a photo below that will hopefully help explain what I'm talking about

Thanks for registering! Sorry to see you're having an issue with that panel. I could be wrong, but I don't recall anyone here having that issue. Let us know how you make out with it.

CMW4
10-26-2012, 12:45 AM
Thanks for registering! Sorry to see you're having an issue with that panel. I could be wrong, but I don't recall anyone here having that issue. Let us know how you make out with it.

I've had a few pealing paint issues, hopefully it works out for you.

Berliner
10-26-2012, 12:56 AM
Nope that is Paint that is pealing not a Film. I just hope that Fiat does not have the same Paint Issues like Chrysler had with white black and some other Colors. Anybody remember all them Neons with Paint Problems? My Neighbor is a Body/ Painter i showed him the Pic and he told me the Surface has not been preped right that is why the Paint starts peeling. I trust him he has been doing this for 20 Years. Sorry for the bad News. I hope all will turn out well.

cmj912
10-26-2012, 08:54 AM
There is a thread here from a former member who had to have this piece replaced because of hail damage to the roof of the car. It is apparently not made of metal, I believe, because he said the piece cracked and did not dent.

Albert Sepe
08-06-2013, 10:21 AM
I have this same exact issue. Black paint has bubbled & peeled badly across this entire strip of plastic between the windshield & sunroof. This should not happen to a car that is less than 2 years old.

AlexisMann
09-04-2013, 12:56 PM
My paint was peeling really bad in the same area that you are talking about, in between the roof and front windshield. It almost looked Like when you get a bad sun burn and your skin peels, the car at the time was only a year and a half old and it looked so bad, I brought it in and they sanded it down and painted it, now 6 monthes later it is starting bubble up an looks awful. I just want them to replace the piece not sure what to do, I am going to call fiat customer service and let them know, but does anyone have any suggestions? Did anyone get this part totally replaced? Thanks!

cmj912
09-04-2013, 01:29 PM
My paint was peeling really bad in the same area that you are talking about, in between the roof and front windshield. It almost looked Like when you get a bad sun burn and your skin peels, the car at the time was only a year and a half old and it looked so bad, I brought it in and they sanded it down and painted it, now 6 monthes later it is starting bubble up an looks awful. I just want them to replace the piece not sure what to do, I am going to call fiat customer service and let them know, but does anyone have any suggestions? Did anyone get this part totally replaced? Thanks!

The repair should be warranteed, just like the original car was.

If that piece is going to be totally replaced, make sure you get a complete estimate of the pieces needed, time taken, and alternate transportation. A person who had this piece replaced when it was damaged said that it is attached to the sunroof frame so it is not a quick fix.

Tweak
09-04-2013, 09:31 PM

Welcome to the forum and good luck with a quick and easy repair process.

AlexisMann
09-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Thank you all so much, I am going to have the dealership look at it this week and will let you know what happens, I reall love the car, havent had any mechanical problems just a few cosmetic ones, thanks again for responding to this!!!!!

Goggles_Pizano
02-10-2014, 08:48 AM
My beautiful yellow 2012 Fiat 500 has the same issue.

The area in front of the sunroof is peeling and blistering. This is not unusual to the 500's. Obviously a flaw in the application process. My Honda Civic did the same thing. Remember something: in all fairness, exposed to the sun, and it being black....causes this area to heat up significantly and cook. Peeling doesn't surprise me.

The best solution I have found (if your car is out of warranty, as mine is) is to get a rocker spray that comes in black (Canadian Tire sells it here for $10). Then tape off the cover everything but the affected area and spray several coats of this stuff on. Of course, collapse and remove the bubbles first)

This will look brand new and NEVER EVER peel again. The rocker spray is meant for under car applications for protection from stones and such. It only comes in flat black.

Good luck.

Mine looks new !

Thank you all so much, I am going to have the dealership look at it this week and will let you know what happens, I reall love the car, havent had any mechanical problems just a few cosmetic ones, thanks again for responding to this!!!!!

LynnB
06-15-2014, 07:51 PM
Just noticed this same exact problem on my car today, so I will call the dealership in the morning. I have had my car for just over 24 months and this is the 2nd major quality issue I have had with the car. It is frustrating because the dealership is quite a distance away.

streetsurfer
06-15-2014, 11:56 PM
I'm wondering if it's the windshield solvents alcohol drying the flexible paint on that plastic piece that causes easier chipping and then the peeling. Im being careful to wash mine often, and soon after having used the wiper squirters. It's said that alcohol and solvents in paint care products lead to loss of some of the plastic parts' flexible paint's plasticizers. There are dedicated waxes to help prevent that while nourishing the paint. Or so the marketing goes.

FiatCares
06-16-2014, 03:22 PM
Just noticed this same exact problem on my car today, so I will call the dealership in the morning. I have had my car for just over 24 months and this is the 2nd major quality issue I have had with the car. It is frustrating because the dealership is quite a distance away.

LynnB:

Please PM me if you need any further assistance beyond the dealer addressing this issue.

shimagoma
07-01-2014, 07:12 PM
I just walked out to my car today and noticed the same thing! Grr! Another issue is I just took my car in to get both front wheel bearings replaced! My car is a '12 and it's having all kinds of quality issues... it should still be under warranty but it is still a bummer.

*edit*
Just called the dealership, they have to call and get authorization to replace it... You can still see bubbles forming under it that havnt broken yet. Going to try and get it taken care of as soon as possible, (tomorrow if I can...) but again for me this sucks because they are a ways out of the way for me :/

specter6633
07-01-2014, 08:21 PM
I just walked out to my car today and noticed the same thing! Grr! Another issue is I just took my car in to get both front wheel bearings replaced! My car is a '12 and it's having all kinds of quality issues... it should still be under warranty but it is still a bummer.

damn let me check mine

Ojam
07-09-2014, 10:28 PM
I also just noticed this tonight on my, 2012 lounge, I'm in Canada. Seriously hoping this is covered under warranty, paint should not peel like that.

Tweak
07-10-2014, 01:17 AM
I also just noticed this tonight on my, 2012 lounge, I'm in Canada. Seriously hoping this is covered under warranty, paint should not peel like that.

Welcome to the forum. No it shouldn't, hope your dealer works with you to resolve it quickly and painlessly.

Ojam
07-14-2014, 10:09 PM
I go in tomorrow for the dealer to take photos and send them off. For others that have had this problem is it covered under the basic warranty, or the rust and corrosion warranty? My basic warranty is up because I'm over 50,000km, but the rust and corrosion doesn't end until the 27th of this month.

FiatCACares
07-15-2014, 12:11 PM
I go in tomorrow for the dealer to take photos and send them off. For others that have had this problem is it covered under the basic warranty, or the rust and corrosion warranty? My basic warranty is up because I'm over 50,000km, but the rust and corrosion doesn't end until the 27th of this month.

Ojam,

I'm sorry to learn of the paint issue you're experiencing.

When did you first notice the peeling?

Your Studio has the training and resources available to investigate your concern fully. I suggest speaking with the Service Manager at your studio in regards to the photos taken and the diagnosis determining what is responsible for the peeling.

Ojam
07-15-2014, 09:18 PM
Ojam,

I'm sorry to learn of the paint issue you're experiencing.

When did you first notice the peeling?

Your Studio has the training and resources available to investigate your concern fully. I suggest speaking with the Service Manager at your studio in regards to the photos taken and the diagnosis determining what is responsible for the peeling.

I first noticed it on the evening on the 9th last week. I called the dealer the next day to bring it in (was due to an MVI too) I took it in today and they did the inspection and took the pictures.

FiatCACares
07-16-2014, 08:47 AM
I first noticed it on the evening on the 9th last week. I called the dealer the next day to bring it in (was due to an MVI too) I took it in today and they did the inspection and took the pictures.

Ojam,

Your Studio will follow-up with you once the photos and diagnosis have been reviewed. Keep us posted if you can.

Massi
07-19-2014, 08:46 PM
Jstrick...I noticed the same problem on my car in the same area. I have had the car three years and three months. Did you get resolution at the dealership? I am at a loss of what to do right now. Thanks. Regards, Massi

Ojam
07-24-2014, 09:54 PM
Ojam,

Your Studio will follow-up with you once the photos and diagnosis have been reviewed. Keep us posted if you can.

I called my dealer today to check on the status of the photos and they advised they should hear something back on Tuesday.

Angus Brophy
07-26-2014, 06:52 PM
I had the same trouble. My dealer said it was a design flaw, so he had the body shop paint the panel (under warranty). Looks like new, and I'll never have to worry about it again.

Ojam
07-31-2014, 05:36 AM
I called again yesterday and the dealer still hadn't heard anything back, but figured they would in the next few days...

Autodevdog
08-02-2014, 12:28 AM
I just had my panel "repainted" by the dealer 2 weeks ago. After I washed it this week it seems they only waxed the panel because it looks the same. I'm taking it back to the dealer with a few choice words...

shimagoma
08-11-2014, 04:07 PM
just took my car in. they are replacing the piece (not painting it..) but I dont know who to go to about complaints regarding my service. Aside from a- being hung up on twice by the service desk b- being put on hold for 15 mins (keep in mind for these calls i am just trying to see if my car is done...) and c- them not taking the wheel off to look at the issue im having and instead they are just driving it around and saying "its not that bad"? Im very frustrated with this, especially it being my very first car. heck!, public transit is looking like a cake walk again

Tweak
08-12-2014, 11:58 PM
just took my car in. they are replacing the piece (not painting it..) but I dont know who to go to about complaints regarding my service. Aside from a- being hung up on twice by the service desk b- being put on hold for 15 mins (keep in mind for these calls i am just trying to see if my car is done...) and c- them not taking the wheel off to look at the issue im having and instead they are just driving it around and saying "its not that bad"? Im very frustrated with this, especially it being my very first car. heck!, public transit is looking like a cake walk again

Speak to their service manager, call Fiat HQ and also send a PM to FiatCares (Jonathan) here on the forum. He works for Fiat (and us)!

mopar1241
09-09-2014, 11:19 PM
Hi Iím new to this form and I work for a FIAT dealer as an advisor and I just got my first FIAT 10 days ago. I have seen this problem about 3-4 times over a year. If the car is under 12 months or 12K paint problems like this are covered with no problem, if over 12 12 then the dealer would need to tack pictures and then submit them to FIAT. This should not take longer then 1-2 weeks for a response back. Donít be afraid to put pressure on the dealer to get this fixed, donít forget dealers donít get paid full book time for warranty work so they tend to beat around the bush on fixing these kind of problems. I hope this helps and good luck, if I can help any other way please let me know.

RustyPaint
09-21-2014, 11:30 PM
Add another to this thread. Just got done washing the car and noticed this:

I'm coming up on the 2 year mark at the end of the year and close to 28k.
I wash my car often (by hand of course) and it is garaged most of the time so this all happened fairly recently.
I have the 3rd party extended warranty, but I think it only covers mechanical pieces.
I'm going to pay my dealer a visit this week and see what they say.

RustyPaint
09-23-2014, 12:01 AM
Showed this to my dealer today and they are filing a claim with Fiat warranty. They said this is the 3rd one they seen like this in this month. They said the fix is to remove the windshield, remove the panel, and then have it painted. 1 to 3 days depending if they can get the window out without cracking it.

Dogzilla
10-07-2014, 02:40 PM
Add another case to the list. I have a 2012 500 Sport with about 18,500 miles on it.

I called Customer Care (maybe about a year ago), and was so frustrated, I haven't done anything about it yet. I live 150 miles from the nearest studio, so it's a really big deal just to go get an oil change. I have a recall notification on another issue, so what I wanted to do was get the 24K mile service, fix the recall thingy (something about a grounding bolt on the starter?), and fix this paint problem all in one trip. Nope. Customer Care insisted that I would have to make the 300-mile round trip JUST for the diagnosis and then I'd have to make another trip if Fiat decided it was covered by warranty. Also, they insist there's no such thing as a loaner but apparently, my warranty includes a car rental. So, what, am I supposed to WALK to a car rental place? Am I supposed to just set up camp in another city 150 miles away indefinitely until Fiat service gets around to my car? Customer Care didn't actually seem to care all that much, nor did they have any suggestions about my distance predicament aside from call the local studio. Which I'm not ready to do because they just want to get me on the schedule and I have no idea A) how much time I'm going to need and B) if I will need a hotel & rental car in this other city or if they can get everything done in a single work day -- and they can't tell me either until they get my car in there. So I'm not driving over there with no hotel reservation and no way to go pick up a rental -- all at my expense -- and no way of knowing if they'll actually pay for it. Nevermind I'm looking at 600 miles of driving (and gas).

So my plan for now is to trade this thing in for a Beetle TDI -- I can double my horsepower but keep the awesome mileage AND when something breaks, I only have to drive across town for a fix. I'm furious that Customer Care didn't seem very willing to work with me in any way, nor admit they have a known issue that's covered by warranty. In fact, in this very thread, the very first Fiat response was basically, "Um, what? Nope! Doesn't happen!"

I've learned my lesson: Never buy a car if there's no dealer for that make in your town. I'm starting to hate this car because of the paint cancer and lack of empathy from the Customer Care people. (That and it can't really get out of its own way. I have to turn off the AC just to get up a steep hill in 1st gear.)

Fiat500USA
10-08-2014, 08:57 AM
Add another case to the list. I have a 2012 500 Sport with about 18,500 miles on it.

I called Customer Care (maybe about a year ago), and was so frustrated, I haven't done anything about it yet. I live 150 miles from the nearest studio, so it's a really big deal just to go get an oil change. I have a recall notification on another issue, so what I wanted to do was get the 24K mile service, fix the recall thingy (something about a grounding bolt on the starter?), and fix this paint problem all in one trip. Nope. Customer Care insisted that I would have to make the 300-mile round trip JUST for the diagnosis and then I'd have to make another trip if Fiat decided it was covered by warranty. Also, they insist there's no such thing as a loaner but apparently, my warranty includes a car rental. So, what, am I supposed to WALK to a car rental place? Am I supposed to just set up camp in another city 150 miles away indefinitely until Fiat service gets around to my car? Customer Care didn't actually seem to care all that much, nor did they have any suggestions about my distance predicament aside from call the local studio. Which I'm not ready to do because they just want to get me on the schedule and I have no idea A) how much time I'm going to need and B) if I will need a hotel & rental car in this other city or if they can get everything done in a single work day -- and they can't tell me either until they get my car in there. So I'm not driving over there with no hotel reservation and no way to go pick up a rental -- all at my expense -- and no way of knowing if they'll actually pay for it. Nevermind I'm looking at 600 miles of driving (and gas).

So my plan for now is to trade this thing in for a Beetle TDI -- I can double my horsepower but keep the awesome mileage AND when something breaks, I only have to drive across town for a fix. I'm furious that Customer Care didn't seem very willing to work with me in any way, nor admit they have a known issue that's covered by warranty. In fact, in this very thread, the very first Fiat response was basically, "Um, what? Nope! Doesn't happen!"

I've learned my lesson: Never buy a car if there's no dealer for that make in your town. I'm starting to hate this car because of the paint cancer and lack of empathy from the Customer Care people. (That and it can't really get out of its own way. I have to turn off the AC just to get up a steep hill in 1st gear.)

Sorry to hear you're having a problem with the paint. You said it provides for a rental car, so it sounds like they are paying for that, right? Are you bringing the car to the dealer you bought it from? That would normally be the best place to have this taken care of and maybe they can work with you. Did you ask the dealer if they can bring you to the rental car place?

Looking at your situation it is not possible to do a recall and paint a car in one day. It doesn't really matter what kind of car it is. Whether it is a VW or Fiat, any dealer would need to look at the problem, get authorization and then paint. It is inconvenient, but someone has to inspect the issue first. I have sympathy for you because it is a 3+ hour roundtrip to my nearest dealer, too. I can't blame Fiat for that, though. Fiat isn't going to put me up in a hotel. Whenever you buy a car, it is always best to ask about things like loaner cars, etc. Each dealer has their own policy. Good luck with you next car and VW service.

boxerbay
10-08-2014, 12:28 PM
In your case you are better off just getting it painted locally for 200 bucks. You will end up spending more trying to get it warrantied.

RustyPaint
10-10-2014, 12:42 AM
Well, there was a rain storm today and the paint reached its limit. I now have missing paint (ugh). Still no reply from FIAT warranty to decide on how they want to fix it.

RustyPaint
11-02-2014, 10:13 AM
Just an update. FIAT did finally approve the fix, but not in a way that my dealer and body shop was happy with. The official fix from FIAT was to sand the paint, tape it up and spray it. I ended up agreeing with my dealer and paying the difference to do the "proper" fix and having the part removed, striped and painted. I'll post pictures when I get the car back.

Dogzilla
11-17-2014, 04:29 PM
Actually, no, what they said about the rental was my warranty allows for a certain amount per day (I've got that coverage on my insurance -- I didn't even know it was on the warranty until they told me that). I still have to pay for it. I still have not yet spoken to the local studio, but the Customer Care person I spoke to said giving me a ride to a rental car would be at the discretion of the studio. They could very well expect me to call a cab, incurring yet another expense on something that shouldn't cost me anything but gas and time.

What I can't understand is why I can't take a few pictures, email them to my local studio, and then have them forward those images on to corporate to get them approved. It makes no sense that I have to drive 150 miles so they can take a picture... a picture that looks exactly like the half dozen on my phone. SMH

Note, I did not buy the Fiat directly from a dealer -- I bought it from a friend, who bought it from a dealer that is about 5 miles further away (Orlando) from the studio I use (Jacksonville). She did not use the closer studio because it didn't exist yet when she bought this 500.

I think what boxerbay said might end up being the answer: that it would be cheaper to take it to a local body shop to quick paint that one little strip. Honestly, I'm getting rid of the thing asap. I just want to get max trade-in for it, so I can't have peeling paint on a 2-year-old car. I knew when I bought it that I'd be driving 150 miles one way for an oil change, but the reality of that has set in and it sucks more than I thought it would. I will never do this again. If we don't have a dealer in my town -- I ain't buying that kind of car. Just not worth it.

Trigger
12-10-2014, 01:33 PM
One more data point.

Just noticed this happening on my Abarth this morning. A 2013 bought new in March. Now with @6K miles. Definitely shouldn't be happening to a car this young. Dealer said bring it by, they'll take pics, and submit a claim. After that is approved he said they'll need the car for two days to remove the part and repaint it correctly. I'm not pleased at this event but they seem eager to get it fixed correctly so I can't complain too much.

lestatsminx
04-05-2015, 09:59 PM
Hello everyone.
I just bought my Fiat 500 Sport on the 1st, (5 days ago,) and I noticed the same thing two days ago when I took it to the car wash. I bought an extended warranty with my car, but it is still covered under it's original warranty for a bit. It's got just over 18,000 miles.
Since I bought this car due to some issues I was having with my 1994 Honda Prelude, one of the main ones being defective paint, suffice to say that I was practically heartbroken when I noticed it. It isn't terribly bad yet, just the clear coat beginning to peel, but I really wish I had noticed it when I was buying it. I haven't even got it tagged yet!
I'm sorry for everyone's problems, but I feel a little better knowing that it does seem to be a known issue. I will call the dealer tomorrow and see what they say.
So thanks to everyone for sharing this.

David Sheely
06-03-2015, 06:01 PM
I have the same problem with paint peeling on area between windshield and sunroof. If there any warranty associated with this problem?

Felnus
06-03-2015, 08:52 PM
I have the same problem with paint peeling on area between windshield and sunroof. If there any warranty associated with this problem?

The standard 4 year/50,000 mile warranty should cover it or at least it did in my case.

RustyPaint
06-03-2015, 11:43 PM
If I remember correctly, it is 2 years for the paint, but your studio may put the pressure on FIAT warranty to have it done anyways like mine did. Just a note, they will only pay to have it taped up and sprayed. I ended up paying the difference to have the panel removed, striped, sprayed, and baked. Hopeing that this repair will last longer than just spraying overtop of it.

slowbird
06-04-2015, 07:47 PM
Mine is peeling now and I am way past warranty. Gonna try Plasti dipping or taking it to a body shop to paint.

Tweak
06-04-2015, 11:30 PM
Mine is peeling now and I am way past warranty. Gonna try Plasti dipping or taking it to a body shop to paint.

If it isn't really smooth still PD usually is really difficult to remove. It comes off a glossy finish but an older oxidized or paint peeling finish might pose a problem just in case you hadn't considered that.

slowbird
06-04-2015, 11:47 PM
If it isn't really smooth still PD usually is really difficult to remove. It comes off a glossy finish but an older oxidized or paint peeling finish might pose a problem just in case you hadn't considered that.

Hey Tweak!

Maybe cause it's so late here, but I can't figure out what you're saying. lol.

Do you mean that PD won't work well on the peeled off portions?

Tweak
06-05-2015, 12:22 AM
Hey Tweak!

Maybe cause it's so late here, but I can't figure out what you're saying. lol.

Do you mean that PD won't work well on the peeled off portions?

Might be because it is late here and I am tired as well...lol.

I am saying if you apply it and the surface isn't smooth/glossy it will be a much harder removal process so I'd avoid peeled areas. A friend tried to use it on his faded and oxidized roof and it looked good for awhile but not long and he never could get it really cleaned off well. (Then he had a major mechanical problem and got a different car).

slowbird
06-05-2015, 02:56 AM
Might be because it is late here and I am tired as well...lol.

I am saying if you apply it and the surface isn't smooth/glossy it will be a much harder removal process so I'd avoid peeled areas. A friend tried to use it on his faded and oxidized roof and it looked good for awhile but not long and he never could get it really cleaned off well. (Then he had a major mechanical problem and got a different car).

Ahhh!!! I got it.

Thanks for the tip Tweak. :burnout:

The other option was to just put on a black vinyl strip up there but that would need some prep work before hand.

Tweak
06-05-2015, 05:05 PM
Ahhh!!! I got it.

Thanks for the tip Tweak. :burnout:

The other option was to just put on a black vinyl strip up there but that would need some prep work before hand.

Vinyl would be the better solution till it could be properly prepped and painted. Last two night have been weird with not enough sleep so sorry about the confusion.

Abarth Fun
06-05-2015, 05:15 PM
I have exactly this issue!

slowbird
06-05-2015, 05:54 PM
Vinyl would be the better solution till it could be properly prepped and painted. Last two night have been weird with not enough sleep so sorry about the confusion.

Not a problem at all Tweak. I'm on nights so I'm a bit off too. arcadefreak

I think if I did a permanent vinyl solution I would have to make the peeled areas as smooth as possible or else it'll show

Trunkout
06-05-2015, 06:30 PM
now that I've read thru this, and see the size of the area in question, I would definitely lightly sand and PD that piece and call it a day (if out of warranty).
I have put PD on a scratched to the metal, starting to rust, area of my last car (daughter still driving it). White car, white PD. Also whole top of car in black PD. Almost four years ago. Still looks the same. This is in Missouri (we use salt).

VANOS
06-05-2015, 07:09 PM
warranty covered this problem for me as well

Tweak
06-06-2015, 12:09 PM
Not a problem at all Tweak. I'm on nights so I'm a bit off too. arcadefreak

I think if I did a permanent vinyl solution I would have to make the peeled areas as smooth as possible or else it'll show

See below...

now that I've read thru this, and see the size of the area in question, I would definitely lightly sand and PD that piece and call it a day (if out of warranty).
I have put PD on a scratched to the metal, starting to rust, area of my last car (daughter still driving it). White car, white PD. Also whole top of car in black PD. Almost four years ago. Still looks the same. This is in Missouri (we use salt).

If you sand it first and coat it thick enough it'd be fine but most people when they use PD put it on top of whatever is there. My suggestion above is to either prep properly or use vinyl.

@ VANOS, welcome to the forum and glad you got things fixed under warranty.

werewolfofwilmington
06-09-2015, 01:17 PM
Did you remove all of the old paint and paint the whole panel with this rocker spray?

Dogzilla
06-19-2015, 11:34 AM
UPDATE!

Back in February, we had a super cold day for Florida (in the low 20s) and, as I was trying to leave work, my 500 wouldn't start. I carry jumper cables around and got an employee to pop her hood for me, but she wouldn't jump. I get a ride home and call Customer Care. This is where it got interesting and stay with me, I swear this comes back to the peeling paint problem.

So, it turns out the maintenance plan (free maintenance for three years or until 30k miles I think), does not transfer with ownership. Or if it does, the previous owner and I didn't know how to go about making that happen. So the nearest Fiat studio is 165 miles from my house. To shorten this story slightly, the studio far away had to send a tow truck to bring it the 165 miles to their service department. When they got it, they called and told me the battery had failed some test and was faulty, but that it was covered under warranty. So I asked for an oil change (that's when I found out I'd have to pay for it), and also asked them to look at the peeling paint. I also had a recall on something about grounding bolts or something so, hey, while you've got it in there, how 'bout take care of that too?

So that's how I got the car to them for diagnoses and repair (see page 4 (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?7153-Paint-peeling-on-area-between-windshield-and-sunroof&p=709012&viewfull=1#post709012) of this thread for my initial posts). Fiat approved the paint fix under warranty and they had my car for a few days, fixed all the things, changed the oil, etc. Then I had to rent a car to go pick it up, which was partially covered by Fiat Customer Care. They wouldn't foot the entire bill, but because the studio had my car for 5 days, she gave me a rental car allowance, which ended up covering about 2/3 of the bill. (In my previous posts, I was all pissed off because, what, I'ma have to WALK to the car rental? Well, in fact, there is a car rental place just one parking lot over from this dealer and they had another location about three blocks from my house, so as a matter of fact, I DID walk, about maybe the length of a football field. It was not a big deal at all.) I got it back, everything is fine again. However, I am concerned that a car with so few miles on it (2012, 20,500 miles) has already had to invoke warranty repairs. I am not convinced that Fiat and Chrysler teaming up did either company any favors in terms of quality.

So I decided to trade it in, but because there's no nearby Fiat studio to certify my still-under-warranty car, all dealers will offer me is pennies on the dollar because they are just going to toss the car in the auction. I declined the trade in and am attempting to sell it on my own. But the paint is fixed! ;>)

TL;DR: Fixed paint. Bought Honda.

Side note: Many years ago, I worked for a subcontractor in the paint shop at BMW in South Carolina. I learned a tremendous amount about paint processes with respect to car paint anyway and I have a theory about this. I think this problem is a design flaw related to the angle of the windshield and the placement of the sprayer jets. I think the windshield wiper fluid is probably a solvent solution, maybe has ammonia or alcohol in it or something along those lines. I learned at BMW that solvents and car paint are not friends. I think the spray jets and the windshield angle combine forces to push the fluid right up into that strip above the rubber moulding that goes around the windshield. I think using the wiper fluid makes the problem worse, faster. I'd be interested to see if the problem recurs for any of us who have had it fixed, but I will not be a case study because I'm selling mine. The other possibility has to do with the chemistry of the plastic strip and the paint and primers and possibly also the prep procedure that Fiat uses in manufacturing. I know BMW was super strict about what we could have in the paint shop to use for cleaning (this was an industrial cleaning company) and certain substances could simply not even be brought in to that part of the plant. I wonder how Fiat does things in their paint shops and if they have identified this recurring problem and have fixed or are at least troubleshooting it at the manufacturing level.

Anyway, the upshot of that last bit is: After I got the paint repaired, I was afraid to use the wiper fluid in case my theory is right.

P. S. Anyone wanna buy my 500? :-D

little_c
06-30-2015, 01:49 PM
Add my name to the list... noticed identical paint peeling on my 2012 Abarth this morning. We drove through some terrible storms on Saturday- wondering if previously unnoticed bubbles ripped open in all the wind and rain?

Whatever the cause, glad to find this thread and see I am not alone. I was ready to kick puppies when I saw it this morning.

I have an appointment on July 10 for my dealer to take photos and submit the warranty claim.

little_c
07-03-2015, 05:31 PM
Has anyone with a 2014 or 15 FIAT experienced this issue? Looking through previous posts in this thread, it seems to be mostly 12s and maybe some 13s. Wondering if this has been mitigated in newer model years.

ccpntr
09-27-2015, 03:18 PM
I had this problem on my 2012 Sport. TWICE! The first time I pitched a fit & they "fixed it" under warranty. They sent it to a body shop who sanded & painted it. The second time was a year or so later. Same studio, different service manager because they fired the other one for stealing...but anyway, they again tried to avoid repairing it, because I was now outside the original 50k warranty. It was only 22k miles since the last time it was fixed. They said they had no record it was fixed the first time, then said it never should have been repainted, the entire sunroof should have been replaced...so they looked into it & got permission to have it repainted with a rubberized type paint and then clear coated.
So far it looks ok, but for anybody having this problem now needs to fight for the right fix.

Broomie
10-14-2015, 12:05 PM
I'm having the same problem. I noticed it in August but it looks worse today so I called my dealer and will bring it in Monday. They said they need to take pictures and send it in to see if its covered. I am sure it is. It is a 2013 I've had less than 2 years with 21k miles. Other than this, I love my fiat !!

Tweak
10-15-2015, 10:56 PM
I'm having the same problem. I noticed it in August but it looks worse today so I called my dealer and will bring it in Monday. They said they need to take pictures and send it in to see if its covered. I am sure it is. It is a 2013 I've had less than 2 years with 21k miles. Other than this, I love my fiat !!

Welcome to the forum.

BecauseRacecar
12-14-2015, 08:09 PM
Had the same problem. Dealer said it is VERY common on ALL Fiat 500s with a sunroof. They sent my car to a shop and re-did the whole panel, all under warranty. :)

Between these paint issues, having the sunroof replaced once, and the sunroof frame replaced another time AFTER that due to severe corrosion... I'll never be buying a car with a sunroof again!!!

Lesson. Friggin. Learned. :D

Major kudos to the dealer though. They took care of it with no hassles. This car is fun. :)

slowbird
12-17-2015, 11:06 PM
Had the same problem. Dealer said it is VERY common on ALL Fiat 500s with a sunroof. They sent my car to a shop and re-did the whole panel, all under warranty. :)

Between these paint issues, having the sunroof replaced once, and the sunroof frame replaced another time AFTER that due to severe corrosion... I'll never be buying a car with a sunroof again!!!

Lesson. Friggin. Learned. :D

Major kudos to the dealer though. They took care of it with no hassles. This car is fun. :)

yeah this is very common with the Fiats with the Sunroofs.

But you learned the wrong lesson. I have owned and know people who have owned tons of cars with sunroofs. I have never seen peeling paint or rusting inside before. Only with the Fiat.

So the lesson to learn is not "don't buy a car with a sunroof". No, that's wrong.

The lesson is either: "Don't buy a Fiat with a sunroof" or "Don't buy a Fiat"

streetsurfer
12-18-2015, 11:59 PM
ZymŲl makes a specific wax for these painted plastic areas. It's supposed to better prevent the volatilization or drying out of the plasticizers in the paint used on plastics. As has been mentioned through the thread, it's suspected the alcohol in wiper fluid and petroleum products in some paint finish products is a possible contributor to this paint failure, especially once chips or scratches are through the surface.

I've always hand washed the car, stone chips are slowly accumulating but the top strip seems clear so far, and try to limit the washer fluid usage, then keep it well rinsed when it has to be used. I dread the bubbling. So far it looks good at 2.25 years and 6500 miles, half of that time parked outdoors. No salt/snow miles.

I dont have any rusting in the channels evident yet either.

Broomie
12-22-2015, 09:26 AM
Over the last months I have tried to coordinate having a small exterior part on the body of my fiat painted due to a defect acknowledged by Fiat.

My first appointment was for a visual inspection to determine the defect. I scheduled an appointment at your Fiat location and when I arrived I was told to visit a body repair center several streets down. (I was made to feel like I should have know this and if I had, I would have just gone directly to the body repair location). When I went there, they took pictures and said they would contact the manufacturer and get back to me. Weeks went by and no call. I then started calling your Fiat Service Center which they said they had no record. I then spoke with Paul the Service Manager that said he would look in to it and get back to me. Again no call back, so I started calling him, finally he said he was able to locate the paperwork and they had authorization to fixed the flawed paint.

I scheduled an appointment two weeks out on a Monday to drop the car off and then pick it up the following week. I dropped the car off, asked for an oil change and tire rotation also during the week stay, and said I would pick up the following Monday. (In the mean time they said they would call when the car was ready). Seemed like no problem for anyone.

Today I scheduled a ride to the Fiat Service Center to get my car. I started calling Service at 8:00 a.m. to confirm the vehicle was ready (after a week for such a small job one would think the vehicle was ready). My first several calls were never answered. When someone did answer I was placed on hold for 20 min. I finally hung up. The next call I was put on hold for 10 min. I hung up, and then went to the Fiat Service Center.

They appear to be very unorganized in your Service Center. When you were in your old location, I thought it was because of the old location, however the new location is still unorganized. It should be as simple as giving your last name to whomever is the attendant and they should be able to locate your information and car record. However, the attendant will ask who were you working with? Although some of the attendants are friendly, I am not in the habit of remembering there names. And after some time of struggling in the computer trying to find my record, if I tell them I have a Fiat, that seems to put them in the right direction. Always slow and confusing for everyone. This is not my first service appointment with your establishment.

After they finally located my information, they stated only the oil change and tire rotation was completed. A whole week and that was all that was done. No phone call, no follow up knowing I was to pick the car up today.

I spoke with Paul the Service Manager again, which everything should not need to roll up to his level. Although he offered me a car, that was not the point, my car was suppose to be ready today and if it wasnít going to be ready today someone should have let me know.

Now according to Paul, he was going to have my car worked on right away. (Iím not sure what that means Ė I hope that means today). And after I said I was not interested in a loaner car, I demanded that the car be delivered to my home. Which Paul agreed to. I hope to receive a positive call within the next couple of days reassuring me my car has been fixed and will be delivered.

So I have been working on this issue for months. I think my first phone call was back in the beginning of October 2015. I love my Fiat, but at this point I don't feel I will EVER return to this establishment again. I've had many new cars and NEVER have had service this poor before.

500iEnjoy
03-14-2016, 02:28 PM
Mine suffered bird droppings. I know i got it in time but nope 2 areas are chipped and exposed. I dont have a warranty anymore so plasidip iguess

KellyfromVA
03-15-2016, 03:27 PM
My wife's 500 Sport had the paint start flaking off the same location about a two years ago, out of warranty of course.. I can confirm, that piece is sheet metal. I sanded the plate down by hand using graduated grits until all the crappy black paint was off. I cleaned the panel with lacquer thinner and allowed it to dry. Finally, I masked off the roof, windshield and hood, and sprayed the panel with three coats of Rustoleum Satin Black spray paint, sanding with 800 grit wet/dry paper between coats.

So far the repair has lasted a full year and still looks great.

lecarmat
04-01-2016, 10:56 PM
anybody try having this section "skinned" with vinyl wrap?
my 2012 primaedizione is peeling, thinking of some dark carbon fiber wrap there and the rear section too, spoiler if possible.
any thoughts?

lestatsminx
07-20-2016, 01:56 PM
I took my Fiat into the studio yesterday with regards to a recall, (two actually) but I had a list of things I wanted them to look at, the main one being the paint that has almost completely come off above my windshield in the year that I have owned the car.
They looked at my extended warranty and told me that it wasn't covered.
I knew that of course, but I went on to explain that I also knew that this was a well known defect with Fiats, and as such, some studios opted to go ahead and take care of the issue. I said I was hoping that they would prove to one of the "good guys," since it was obviously not due to anything I did. I even offered to show them pictures from when I first bought the car, and this thread on the forum.

First, they tried to charge me $125.00 to "check out" the things I had on my list. Since I had just walked the mechanic around my car and pointed them out, one by one, I declined that "offer." I asked if in the end, it would up to the manager, and he said it would, so I asked if he would mind simply asking the manager then. I said I didn't mind waiting.
They refused to fix it for free, of course.

I wouldn't have minded paying the deductible for my warranty in order to have it taken care of, but I refuse to pay whatever ridiculous amount they would have quoted me to fix something that I know I can do myself for considerably less.
I have zero experience in painting cars, but there is no way it can look worse than it does now. :(

Again, I am surprised that the company cares so little about how their cars look. Mine gets a lot of attention since I put the eyelashes on it, and for now, whenever anyone asks me if I like it, I say "Yes, but I wouldn't recommend buying one. Too many things cheaply put together and customer service is terrible."

I want to love my little Fiat, but as the smallest things continue to break or other problems emerge, (at 27,000 miles) I can't help but think that I should have stuck with Honda.
Pity, because I think the new Fiat crossovers are seriously cute, and might have upgraded if the studio had been more helpful.
As it is, they didn't even fix the stuff I brought it in for that IS covered, because they don't have the parts. And I made the appointment over a month ago.

Sorry for the rant. :/

Fiat500USA
07-20-2016, 11:36 PM
I took my Fiat into the studio yesterday with regards to a recall, (two actually) but I had a list of things I wanted them to look at, the main one being the paint that has almost completely come off above my windshield in the year that I have owned the car.
They looked at my extended warranty and told me that it wasn't covered.
I knew that of course, but I went on to explain that I also knew that this was a well known defect with Fiats, and as such, some studios opted to go ahead and take care of the issue. I said I was hoping that they would prove to one of the "good guys," since it was obviously not due to anything I did. I even offered to show them pictures from when I first bought the car, and this thread on the forum.

First, they tried to charge me $125.00 to "check out" the things I had on my list. Since I had just walked the mechanic around my car and pointed them out, one by one, I declined that "offer." I asked if in the end, it would up to the manager, and he said it would, so I asked if he would mind simply asking the manager then. I said I didn't mind waiting.
They refused to fix it for free, of course.

I wouldn't have minded paying the deductible for my warranty in order to have it taken care of, but I refuse to pay whatever ridiculous amount they would have quoted me to fix something that I know I can do myself for considerably less.
I have zero experience in painting cars, but there is no way it can look worse than it does now. :(

Again, I am surprised that the company cares so little about how their cars look. Mine gets a lot of attention since I put the eyelashes on it, and for now, whenever anyone asks me if I like it, I say "Yes, but I wouldn't recommend buying one. Too many things cheaply put together and customer service is terrible."

I want to love my little Fiat, but as the smallest things continue to break or other problems emerge, (at 27,000 miles) I can't help but think that I should have stuck with Honda.
Pity, because I think the new Fiat crossovers are seriously cute, and might have upgraded if the studio had been more helpful.
As it is, they didn't even fix the stuff I brought it in for that IS covered, because they don't have the parts. And I made the appointment over a month ago.

Sorry for the rant. :/

I may be missing something here, but this sounds like the paint came off of a four year old used car that you've owned for a year. If it isn't under the new car warranty I don't think a dealership would pay for that. Maybe if you went in after a few weeks or some other reasonable amount of time after you took delivery and showed them the paint coming off that would be one thing. I don't think it is realistic to expect the dealership to take a few hundred dollars out of their pocket to do that on such an old car. It's drag that stuff like this happens, but considering some used cars have airbags that blow up and kill you, touching up paint on a 4 year old used car isn't the worse thing.

It's always best to go right back to a dealer immediately whenever there is a cosmetic issue with a car. You've got a shot the dealer will warranty something that was there before you left the lot providing they are notified at delivery, but it gets to be a sticky situation if you bring it back afterwards. Especially on a used car. This sounds sort of like selling your car to someone and then a year later they call you up and want you to pay for a respray.

lestatsminx
07-22-2016, 04:43 PM
I agree with you, in part. I didn't expect them to fix it, but I did think it was something that should be at least considered.
As far as bringing it in a year later, that isn't exactly what happened.
I noticed it five days after I purchased the car. The following day, I called the dealer I purchased it from and was forwarded the voice mail of the guy I dealt with, and of course, he never returned my call. I then took the car to what I thought was the only Fiat studio in town, explained the problem, and walked the employee out to my car and showed him. I left my name and number as he requested that I do, and again, never got a return call.
A few weeks went by, and I returned and asked to speak with the manager. I was told that he wasn't in, so I left my name and number again, and took a card for the manager. And again, I never heard back. I tried calling several times, to no avail, so frustrated, I finally just gave up.

About a month ago, I was eating a local restaurant and started chatting with another patron. (He had asked me about my car, having seen me drive up.) He told me that he used to work for the man who owns the local dealership, and informed me that the studio I had been to several times with regard to the issue was in fact only for new car sales, and didn't even have a service department. I can't help but wonder why they never bothered to tell me that a year ago.
He told me where to go to get help, and once I received the recall notice in the mail, I then made an appointment for that, and decided it couldn't hurt to go ahead and bring up the issues that I had already.
On the phone, the person I spoke with apologized for the way I was treated at the other studio, which is owned by the same individual, and promised to have a look, and said that they would see what they could do to make me happy with my car again. So, I got my hopes up a bit.

Alas, when I arrived on the date they scheduled for me, almost a month later, I was told that that none of the stuff was covered, despite my extended warranty.
Worse still, after I left my car and got the rental, when they called me the following day to pick it up, I was told that they hadn't done anything at all, because they needed to order the parts. And they tried to send me on my way with no future date to have it fixed. Obviously, I demanded, (nicely) to speak with the person I had dealt with the day before to get a time to bring it back. I was told they would have the parts in a week or so.
So clearly, someone simply dropped the ball and never ordered the parts for the recall that was scheduled to be fixed.

To add insult to injury, the guy at the rental desk chewed me out for not filling the car back up. I drove it exactly 20 miles. From the dealership, to my home, and back. (For nothing, I might add, since they didn't fix my car.) I told him I never even thought to check the gas gauge since I barely drove it, but I apologized none the less. He told me that I used an eighth of a tank, to which I replied, "Well, I will certainly not ever purchase a jeep, if that is the case."
As I was leaving, he told me the gauge had gone back up when they moved it, and sort of apologized for being so rude.

As it happens, the owner of the dealership had a big sign up with his personal phone number, imploring anyone who was dissatisfied with their experience to call him. So I did.
He returned my call, and once I explained everything, he apologized, and said that he was actually cringing at the story I had told him. He said he looked forward to meeting me in person, and asked that when I returned to have my car fixed, I call him so that he could personally come up and see to my case personally. He said that he wanted to make sure that I was happy with my car, and his dealership.

I haven't been notified of when I am to bring my car back yet, but when I am, I intend to do just as the owner requested, and I truly hope that my next experience will be a better one.

As I stated before, I do love the car, but the cheaply put together stuff is worrisome. Four years old or not, with a mere 27,000 miles on a car, things shouldn't be falling off and breaking when it is taken care of, which mine is.
I'll keep you posted.

Thank you for your reply.
H. :)

DaytonAbarth
08-02-2016, 07:18 PM
I came out of work today to this:

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13876161_10208357256586582_6751171136892793787_n.j pg?oh=b6f5bbce4b5ac6bef05907a686bb4a4d&oe=581A1ED7

Did some quick Google-ing and I forget how many millions of results came up including many, MANY threads on forums with the same issue. 2013 car bought brand new March 3rd 2014, about 48k miles, always hand-washed and garaged in winter. I've read about people having the whole roof cut out and replaced with a new sunroof?? Holy #$^& even under warranty that sounds terrible. If they won't repaint it, I'm thinking some 3M carbon fiber is in line this weekend.

KellyfromVA
08-04-2016, 09:08 AM
I've repainted mine twice. The first time I sanded it to just rough up the surface and sprayed satin black over that. About six months later, it started peeling in the same spots. Second time I sanded to bare metal and sprayed it with Rustoleum high heat flat black engine paint and a satin clear coat. It has held up for two years. I make sure to double wax the area each time I wash and wax the car.

lestatsminx
08-15-2016, 01:18 PM
I just wanted to update about my car situation.
I finally heard from the owner of the studio with regards to the recall, and dropped my car off last Thursday. This time, I was treated extremely well, and all of my concerns were documented. The recall that could be fixed has been, and after looking over my car, the owner and his head mechanic decided that I was right about the paint over the windshield. They did warn me that they couldn't promise anything, however, they sent pictures into Fiat/Chrysler and they are doing everything that they can to get it fixed for me for free. I was told it was obvious that it wasn't my fault, and that it most certainly should be corrected.

With regard to the outstanding recall, (the clutch) Fiat told me they hope to have a fix available by mid-late October.

The owner of my studio offered to help me find a different car, if I wanted to trade mine in due to safety concerns. I still really like my car, so I have decided to wait until October, at least, and see where Fiat is with the recall before taking that step. Hopefully, it won't come to that.

Anyway, I promised an update, and I wanted to be sure to follow through. Also, to everyone with similar issues, I would suggest that if you can, contact the owner of your nearest studio. Perhaps that will help.
Best of luck to everyone, and thanks for your input.
:frog:

fiatgal
05-29-2017, 09:54 AM
My beautiful yellow 2012 Fiat 500 has the same issue.

The best solution I have found (if your car is out of warranty, as mine is) is to get a rocker spray that comes in black (Canadian Tire sells it here for $10). Then tape off the cover everything but the affected area and spray several coats of this stuff on. Of course, collapse and remove the bubbles first)

This will look brand new and NEVER EVER peel again. The rocker spray is meant for under car applications for protection from stones and such. It only comes in flat black.

Good luck.

Mine looks new !

Hi there!

I haven't posted on this forum for what seems like forever!! (which is a good thing, right?)

Well, just yesterday I noticed this same problem about the paint peeling on that whatchamacallit piece of glass? metal? between the windshield and the sunroof. I was trying to figure out the name of the part to have it replaced, until I came back to this forum and read this thread. I'll call the dealer tomorrow, but just to confirm:

- the part that would need to be replaced is the *whole* sunroof mechanism? Yikes!!!! (does this specific section have a name?)
- the other option would be to paint? I've seen a few paint recommendations here. The solution quoted above would give a flat black finish. Is there a way to then finish it with a gloss finish?

Any other suggestions recommendations greatly appreciated. Guess from now on I'll baby that section with loads of extra wax.

Tweak
05-29-2017, 10:13 AM
Hi there!

I haven't posted on this forum for what seems like forever!! (which is a good thing, right?)

Well, just yesterday I noticed this same problem about the paint peeling on that whatchamacallit piece of glass? metal? between the windshield and the sunroof. I was trying to figure out the name of the part to have it replaced, until I came back to this forum and read this thread. I'll call the dealer tomorrow, but just to confirm:

- the part that would need to be replaced is the *whole* sunroof mechanism? Yikes!!!! (does this specific section have a name?)
- the other option would be to paint? I've seen a few paint recommendations here. The solution quoted above would give a flat black finish. Is there a way to then finish it with a gloss finish?

Any other suggestions recommendations greatly appreciated. Guess from now on I'll baby that section with loads of extra wax.

Some have cover it with vinyl, can be either a temp or more permanent fix depending on how you want to go and it is likely cheaper than paint. You could really do it yourself if desired.

Otherwise paint (or have it painted obviously) the metal after proper prep and finish it with clear to protect. Matte or gloss is really your choice.

fiatgal
05-29-2017, 11:07 AM
Thanks so much! I'll probably have it painted then.

squishycar
05-30-2017, 11:02 AM
I had this same issue. My 2012 was out of warranty as well but I contacted Fiat. They had me take it to a studio and have it looked at, then they approved it. I got a rental for a couple days. Everything was paid for by Fiat, and that area is good as new (well, hopefully better because obviously it failed new...).

fiatgal
05-30-2017, 12:43 PM

fiatgal
05-30-2017, 12:43 PM
Good to know! I'm waiting to hear back from my local Fiat studio. Judging from your experience, instead of asking them for an auto-body recommendation (my first thought), I'll see if they might offer something...

pvflyer
05-30-2017, 11:20 PM

I've this same issue and posted here couple months ago.

This is not an isolated case and FIAT knows about it ( cause by water damage) and in some cases refuses to provide warranty to a product they know is defective. I've had the same issue so I took my car to RUSNAK SOUTHBAY Alfa Romeo /Maserati /FIAT to no unveil I bought extended warranty for mine when I purchased it , So I think I am OK. However the Factory warranty was expired by 2 months or so and they told me that the extended warranty would cover mechanical and moving parts but not cosmetic. My car is in like new condition garaged and not used for daily drive ( 10560 miles), now I have a roof that looks like it has some sort of cancer and on top of that the steering column is developing some sort of knocking.

I like my ABARTH and probably will buy me another! But if FIAT wants to be competitive in the NA market customer service and quality control will need to be improved.

Regards Luciano
https://attachment.outlook.office.net/owa/lufrankhan@live.com/service.svc/s/GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATM0MDAAMS04NTQw LWNiMDAALTAwAi0wMAoARgAAA%2FqTlyg7BE5MvWh40lpSvVUH AOZKpaTJ4ThKvZxatmSXfngAAAIBDAAAAOZKpaTJ4ThKvZxatm SXfngAAADKVupAAAAAARIAEACn51CUvNgKT6%2Fhs5EFPKPW&thumbnailType=2&X-OWA-CANARY=eM8Tq3l0s0SEODIYYAEtMiBbisDTp9QYhyIsOJZDPO_ 1Ojpa1_h8FfmROjqA3tLeJZ_VNfV68mY.&token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsIng1dCI6 ImVuaDlCSnJWUFU1aWpWMXFqWmpWLWZMMmJjbyJ9.eyJ2ZXIiO iJFeGNoYW5nZS5DYWxsYmFjay5WMSIsImFwcGN0eHNlbmRlciI 6Ik93YURvd25sb2FkQDg0ZGY5ZTdmLWU5ZjYtNDBhZi1iNDM1L WFhYWFhYWFhYWFhYSIsImFwcGN0eCI6IntcIm1zZXhjaHByb3R cIjpcIm93YVwiLFwicHJpbWFyeXNpZFwiOlwiUy0xLTI4MjctM jEyOTkzLTIyMzU2MTYwMDBcIixcInB1aWRcIjpcIjkxNDgwMDI wNDg5MjkyOFwiLFwib2lkXCI6XCIwMDAzNDAwMS04NTQwLWNiM DAtMDAwMC0wMDAwMDAwMDAwMDBcIixcInNjb3BlXCI6XCJPd2F Eb3dubG9hZFwifSIsImlzcyI6IjAwMDAwMDAyLTAwMDAtMGZmM S1jZTAwLTAwMDAwMDAwMDAwMEA4NGRmOWU3Zi1lOWY2LTQwYWY tYjQzNS1hYWFhYWFhYWFhYWEiLCJhdWQiOiIwMDAwMDAwMi0wM DAwLTBmZjEtY2UwMC0wMDAwMDAwMDAwMDAvYXR0YWNobWVudC5 vdXRsb29rLm9mZmljZS5uZXRAODRkZjllN2YtZTlmNi00MGFmL WI0MzUtYWFhYWFhYWFhYWFhIiwiZXhwIjoxNDk2MjAxMzI2LCJ uYmYiOjE0OTYyMDA3MjZ9.Y3MB8rIjyOUBqryAt4DTV-T4RoAmmrnd-QvpzjW6yz_XTbKpKrJ0diWiGMSKCMK5iqW-FGW7rzcXQmdmEKhuTEhRC_kERbsfAiUA_KHrgmfyswb0Wk4Z2S SZD409CN3-Pp-fRPj0PLOgeNznc8n6kCis5BUhIrR4WUSgOnJhzL1PU_wBuHCX7 kPX2udwpef90YEgVmTYj1nF-evUITD2GVzKvGVGhmdL_ZlD3Ir_vWSBA_8eFGAemQiTm9HXyfe 6x1KGAJYEyykiNbA0kASf7Jjc5qSHmLeIDKvPqeuJwMuQvq26g WyPHBctOLbOrQLs2pDdI8xI7g_gp-r3NEwbww&owa=outlook.live.com&isc=1

squishycar
05-31-2017, 11:04 AM
Good to know! I'm waiting to hear back from my local Fiat studio. Judging from your experience, instead of asking them for an auto-body recommendation (my first thought), I'll see if they might offer something...

You have to contact Fiat (the company, not the studio) and get a claim started. Unless your studio is very nice, I doubt they will do anything to help if its out of warranty. Fiat was very nice to work with.

unhappyfiatowner
06-12-2017, 01:08 PM
I'm having the same issue, amognst others.

pvflyer
06-12-2017, 02:06 PM

Hi like someone here mention, call Fiat. I emailed Fiat and within 24hrs or so I got a call back from CS. They ask me to take my car to the dealer and they will take from there. Lets C what happens next.

unhappyfiatowner
06-12-2017, 02:29 PM
Hi like someone here mention, call Fiat. I emailed Fiat and within 24hrs or so I got a call back from CS. They ask me to take my car to the dealer and they will take from there. Lets C what happens next.

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. I just had my car in for service, the trunk stopped working months ago, they want to charge me $1500 to fix that. They pretended like they didn't even see the paint peeling.

Trunkout
06-12-2017, 02:36 PM
Hi. Welcome to the forum. If you're unhappy do something about it. Call Fiat. Go to dealers. GET A LAWYER.
But don't make screenname like THAT and just come in here looking for problems to spout off on.
Geez...

unhappyfiatowner
06-12-2017, 02:41 PM
Hi. Welcome to the forum. If you're unhappy do something about it. Call Fiat. Go to dealers. GET A LAWYER.
But don't make screenname like THAT and just come in here looking for problems to spout off on.
Geez...

I am doing something about it. Thank you for your input.

RitaMarie
05-27-2018, 04:17 PM
I have the same issue it started the winter before last. I intended to bring it to the dealer, called and made an appointment once but never did.
it looks terrible.

DLounge
07-06-2018, 03:46 PM
I first noticed a peeling problem in 2017. (Fiat L 2012-30,125 miles) I emailed Fiat, was assigned a REFERENCE NUMBER and an EMAIL CASE NUMBER and was contacted by a Fiat Case Manager. The Case Manager asked me to go to the Fiat dealership and request a spectrometer test to determine if the peeling was caused by a defect in paint application or sun wear. The dealership manager stared at me and basically said, "What are you talking about?" A few months later the dealership dropped its Fiat line. I emailed another Fiat dealership 70 miles away, and never heard back. Now at 36,000 miles this is what my 2012 L sunroof panel looks like. What have other owners done to remedy situation? Does the entire sunroof have to be removed to repaint the panel? Any ballpark figures what it might cost? Other options?

pvflyer
07-06-2018, 07:23 PM
I first noticed a peeling problem in 2017. (Fiat L 2012-30,125 miles) I emailed Fiat, was assigned a REFERENCE NUMBER and an EMAIL CASE NUMBER and was contacted by a Fiat Case Manager. The Case Manager asked me to go to the Fiat dealership and request a spectrometer test to determine if the peeling was caused by a defect in paint application or sun wear. The dealership manager stared at me and basically said, "What are you talking about?" A few months later the dealership dropped its Fiat line. I emailed another Fiat dealership 70 miles away, and never heard back. Now at 36,000 miles this is what my 2012 L sunroof panel looks like. What have other owners done to remedy situation? Does the entire sunroof have to be removed to repaint the panel? Any ballpark figures what it might cost? Other options?

You aren't alone I am on my second set . That particular area uses a thin film of whatever not painted. duno Y FIAT just paint and get done with it.