PDA

View Full Version : Question on 2013 Abarth reliability

hanzo
10-22-2012, 10:25 AM
I just ordered an Abarth this past Friday. Decided to join this forum to read more about the car. Looking at this section starting to make me wonder if I should cancel my order. How reliable are the 2013 Abarth? I know 2012 is the first year model for the US. Is the 2013 any better? I really don't want to have to deal with reliability issues on a new car.

Robert Nixon
10-22-2012, 11:11 AM
My opinion is that the 2013 Abarth, being the 2nd year of production in Mexico, should be just fine. I'm right around 2,000 miles on my 2013 Abarth, and no issues at all. I feel confident that my dealer and the new car warranty will cover anything that comes up, although like any mass produced item from razors to houses, there could always be some issues along the way. I'm in my 50s, have bought cars all my life, and whether it's good advice or not, I always remember a teacher long ago advising us young guys "never buy a car in the first year of production, since they might not have worked out all the bugs yet". While that isn't why I waited to get a 13 Abarth, to me it makes sense generally, but on the other hand the Fiat 500 and Abarth models have been made in Europe for several years.

Any internet forum is a great opportunity for the issues to come to light, and from what I've seen here on this forum, the biggest issue is getting good service from individual dealers and sales folks, which is not a deal breaker for me.

Fiat500USA
10-22-2012, 11:30 AM
I just ordered an Abarth this past Friday. Decided to join this forum to read more about the car. Looking at this section starting to make me wonder if I should cancel my order. How reliable are the 2013 Abarth? I know 2012 is the first year model for the US. Is the 2013 any better? I really don't want to have to deal with reliability issues on a new car.

Welcome to the forum!

The first batch of any car is bound to have some issues. But Fiat has implemented procedures that rapidly identify and address these. My own car was built in April, and it is fine. The feeling I get from reading about these issues are most are from early cars or dealer related. Ultimately, you have to decide what you feel comfortable with, but I would suggest reading each forum to get a feel for the car and not just the "Issues and Concerns" forum.

Good luck in what ever you decide!

hanzo
10-22-2012, 11:46 AM
Welcome to the forum!

The first batch of any car is bound to have some issues. But Fiat has implemented procedures that rapidly identify and address these. My own car was built in April, and it is fine. The feeling I get from reading about these issues are most are from early cars or dealer related. Ultimately, you have to decide what you feel comfortable with, but I would suggest reading each forum to get a feel for the car and not just the "Issues and Concerns" forum.

Good luck in what ever you decide!

Thanks, I just wanted to get some perspective on current 2012 and 2013 Abarth owners.

Abarth67
10-22-2012, 11:53 AM
I have one of the earliest cars out there and love it. I have had a few small things pop up but nothing that would deter my enthusiasm for owning one of the coolest, most exclusive affordable cars on the market today. I have yet to hit the first scheduled service but when I do, I have a punch list of things to be fixed, or looked over. As long as these items are addressed, I am a happy Abarth owner.

hanzo
10-22-2012, 11:58 AM
Can you elaberate on the small things that popped up? I just want to get an idea, thanks!

deathshead
10-22-2012, 12:06 PM
You should have no worries on a 12 or 13. I mean there have been some known issues to look out out, mostly cosmetic that the dealers have been fixing.

13' has some features that are great over the 12's

the beats audio is worlds better than the bose for instance.
and another great feature on the 13 is the ability to get real time psi in each tire.

Abarth67
10-22-2012, 12:06 PM
Can you elaberate on the small things that popped up? I just want to get an idea, thanks!

So far, the things I have noticed are
-lower body trim separating at front corner (known problem)
-oily film on lower transmission housing (leak?)
-iPhone no longer plays through stereo (probably an iPhone system issue)

That is about all I can think of right now. The apparent leak has me a little concerned but I am going to give them a chance to fix it before I pass judgement.

hanzo
10-22-2012, 12:24 PM
I've been reading people with rear main seal leaks and one that needed an engine replacement. I just don't want to have to deal with it since it'll be my only car.

hanzo
10-22-2012, 12:28 PM
This will be my only car so I am more careful about quality issues since I really don't want to have to deal with trips to and back from the dealership and getting rentals. I was reading about the leak on the transmission and think I probably should cancel my order.

EugeneS
10-22-2012, 12:34 PM
9000 happy miles here!

Abarth67
10-22-2012, 12:49 PM
I would not cancel the order due to this leak. It is extremely smal and is more of an oily residue on the case than a leak. I never see any signs of oil in my garage or where I park so I don't think it is a big deal. I also think this is something that seems to be happening on the early 2012 models. The car is to much fun to let something like this keep you away, I smile every time I get behind the wheel.

hanzo
10-22-2012, 01:12 PM
I would not cancel the order due to this leak. It is extremely smal and is more of an oily residue on the case than a leak. I never see any signs of oil in my garage or where I park so I don't think it is a big deal. I also think this is something that seems to be happening on the early 2012 models. The car is to much fun to let something like this keep you away, I smile every time I get behind the wheel.

I had bad past experience with taking cars back and forth to the dealership for warranty work. Usually it's done incorrectly (requires multiple visits) and or they break/scratch something else in the process of fixing the original problem. This will be my daily driver so it needs to be reliable. I wouldn't worry so much if this is my weekend car.

Seems like a lot of people are having the leak. I wouldn't be surprise if majority of the owner do have this leak just never looked for it.

FTY
10-22-2012, 01:34 PM
Its my daily driver as well, about 13k on it.

Issues-

Lower Molding trim - Needs new adhesive(no biggie)
Needed 2 PCM updates- Yours wont
Front Badge- rubbing on paint

Thats it, zero mechanical issues and its driven as its meant to be driven. Plus it was the test vehicle for the intake and the TMC unit. AND its had a few different suspensions put in and out.

VTEC Mini
10-22-2012, 01:54 PM

I've been reading people with rear main seal leaks and one that needed an engine replacement. I just don't want to have to deal with it since it'll be my only car.As far as the oil leak in the rear main seal, that has been addressed in the early build cars. If you did read the thread in detail the problem stems from the groove not being machined deep enough in the cap. When the problem is being fixed a new cap is installed.

I have read of two engine failures- thats pretty good considering how many cars are built. I had an '04 Mini that had 4 clutches in four years, rear-end rebuilt twice and front-end once. That doesn't count the numerous "little stuff". This car was never raced and factory serviced according to factory recommendations.

No car- I don't car who makes it, is immune to failure or its lemons. Example; my wifes 2002 Honda Civic. Honda's are world renowned for reliability, right? At 56,000 miles the transmission crapped out. We had the timing belt replaced and 80K miles. At 100,000 miles to the mark the rubber boot around the spring on the timing belt tensioner came loose and went between the cam sprocket and the timing belt causing it to jump and sent the valves into the pistons. We repaired it and it now goes into the shop on Friday for an airbag recall. I have a 2011 Honda CR-Z. It has one recall that was delt with if where the IMA battery is depleted it could send the car into reverse. Last winter I had to take it the shop 5 times for a rattle because the spot welds where breaking loose. Both these cars from day 1 have been factory serviced according to manufactures suggestions.

You take your chance with any car, especially one that is high performance but all things considering, the Abarth has been proven to be very reliable. To ask about 2013 at this point is premature on one hand since they just came out but considering with a few extremely minor changes like switch placement and superficial upgrades like audio and carpet, it is the same as an '12 in which case it has been proven.

hanzo
10-22-2012, 02:32 PM
As far as the oil leak in the rear main seal, that has been addressed in the early build cars. If you did read the thread in detail the problem stems from the groove not being machined deep enough in the cap. When the problem is being fixed a new cap is installed.

I have read of two engine failures- thats pretty good considering how many cars are built. I had an '04 Mini that had 4 clutches in four years, rear-end rebuilt twice and front-end once. That doesn't count the numerous "little stuff". This car was never raced and factory serviced according to factory recommendations.

No car- I don't car who makes it, is immune to failure or its lemons. Example; my wifes 2002 Honda Civic. Honda's are world renowned for reliability, right? At 56,000 miles the transmission crapped out. We had the timing belt replaced and 80K miles. At 100,000 miles to the mark the rubber boot around the spring on the timing belt tensioner came loose and went between the cam sprocket and the timing belt causing it to jump and sent the valves into the pistons. We repaired it and it now goes into the shop on Friday for an airbag recall. I have a 2011 Honda CR-Z. It has one recall that was delt with if where the IMA battery is depleted it could send the car into reverse. Last winter I had to take it the shop 5 times for a rattle because the spot welds where breaking loose. Both these cars from day 1 have been factory serviced according to manufactures suggestions.

You take your chance with any car, especially one that is high performance but all things considering, the Abarth has been proven to be very reliable. To ask about 2013 at this point is premature on one hand since they just came out but considering with a few extremely minor changes like switch placement and superficial upgrades like audio and carpet, it is the same as an '12 in which case it has been proven.

What about all the paint issues I've read? Are they fixed on the 2013s?

VTEC Mini
10-22-2012, 04:57 PM
What about all the paint issues I've read? Are they fixed on the 2013s?Thats just being nit- picky and has nothing to do with being a reliable daily driver which you asked about.

Yes, there has been some cars with paint issues- but not most and is an easy fix.

This is what warranties are for. If cars where perfect there would be no need for them. To me it sounds like your trying to find a reason not to buy an Abarth. If thats the case, then don't. That goes for any car you are thinking about.

Robert Nixon
10-22-2012, 05:01 PM
Is there some reason you've started two threads with the same topic today? I was having Deja Vu there for a minute since I posted in your earlier version of the same question!

The first 2013s just got delivered over a month ago, so part of me says that there is no long term reliability on them yet, other than the years that they have been built in Europe

hanzo
10-22-2012, 05:27 PM
Is there some reason you've started two threads with the same topic today? I was having Deja Vu there for a minute since I posted in your earlier version of the same question!

The first 2013s just got delivered over a month ago, so part of me says that there is no long term reliability on them yet, other than the years that they have been built in Europe

I posted in the regular 500 section then realize I should have posted it under the Abarth section.

hanzo
10-22-2012, 05:34 PM
Thats just being nit- picky and has nothing to do with being a reliable daily driver which you asked about.

Yes, there has been some cars with paint issues- but not most and is an easy fix.

This is what warranties are for. If cars where perfect there would be no need for them. To me it sounds like your trying to find a reason not to buy an Abarth. If thats the case, then don't. That goes for any car you are thinking about.

Repainting bumper is not exactly "an easy fix". It's down to how good the body shop is. Plus who wants a new car that has repainted bumper? New cars especially the second model year shouldn't need warranty work. I put down a deposit on the car so yes, I do want it. I just don't want to end up having issues to deal with on a brand new car and spending my time dealing with the hassle of taking the car back over and over again with potential of more damage done buy the service department. I just had bad experience in the past that's why I posted these questions.

Fiat500USA
10-22-2012, 05:47 PM
I'll merge these threads as soon as I get home late tonight. For reference, just PM me if something like this happens and I can take care of it.

pastor passum
10-22-2012, 06:02 PM
This will be my only car so I am more careful about quality issues since I really don't want to have to deal with trips to and back from the dealership and getting rentals. I was reading about the leak on the transmission and think I probably should cancel my order.

Hanzo, I think I was the initial one to have the transmission leak. I would have never seen it but the service Dept. caught it (just a mist as they explained it) during a routine oil change. I suspect some Mfg.s would have said nothing but Fiat was proactive and wanted the transmission back to see what the problem was. They replaced it. I too was worried about scratches etc. I got it back (they supplied a 500 Sport loaner) and there wasn't so much as a finger pint or smudge on it. Two days later I left on a 2,600 mile trip in the Abarth.
This I my daily driver and I absolutely love it. I wouldn't hesitate one second to buy another. Like others have stated, a first year run by any Mfgr. will have some hiccups but likewise Fiat, I believe, will bend over backwards to make you happy. There's too much at stake not to. I believe the 2013 should be a great FUN car. Go for it!

VTEC Mini
10-22-2012, 07:59 PM
Repainting bumper is not exactly "an easy fix". It's down to how good the body shop is. Plus who wants a new car that has repainted bumper? New cars especially the second model year shouldn't need warranty work. I put down a deposit on the car so yes, I do want it. I just don't want to end up having issues to deal with on a brand new car and spending my time dealing with the hassle of taking the car back over and over again with potential of more damage done buy the service department. I just had bad experience in the past that's why I posted these questions.Compaired to replacing an engine, transmission or having the suspension rebuilt- its an easy fix. Paint chips wont leave you stranded on the side of the road and does not effect the mechanical integrity of the vehicle. They wont cause possible leaks after the repair. Most body shops actually do a better job than factory especially in this case now isn't it. To say second year cars shouldn't need warranty work is ridiculous and impossible. It would be nice and in a perfect world that is true but it isn't. Every single make and brand has warranty work no matter how long it has been around. If what you are saying was true then a Mustang wouldn't need warranty work since 1966 or a Corvette since 1954.

I have had a real, REAL bad experience too with MINI. Did I learn some things? Yeah I did, like not to buy a car that does not have a dealer in town for WARRANTY work (Mine was in third year production). I have been watching this board and the children's table site for over a year now watching reliability. On top of that I have been on Honda ones for the CR-Z and MINI ones because I still have a classic Mini and I can say that Fiat has the least amount of issues than the other two. Thats why I am putting my deposit down in December.

William M Jacocks Jr
10-22-2012, 08:04 PM
I have a 2013 Abarth (Nero with the red trim) Love it, no issues so far except a little shrink wrap stuck in the groove on top of the windshield. Runs great, people are whipping their neck around when I pass by. LOL

I have had it 3 weeks. Only thing I miss is the nice big bed of my F-150 that I traded in for it. LOL! Not so easy to haul stuff around but I love that little car!coolgleam

hanzo
10-22-2012, 08:15 PM
Compaired to replacing an engine, transmission or having the suspension rebuilt- its an easy fix. Paint chips wont leave you stranded on the side of the road and does not effect the mechanical integrity of the vehicle. They wont cause possible leaks after the repair. Most body shops actually do a better job than factory especially in this case now isn't it. To say second year cars shouldn't need warranty work is ridiculous and impossible. It would be nice and in a perfect world that is true but it isn't. Every single make and brand has warranty work no matter how long it has been around. If what you are saying was true then a Mustang wouldn't need warranty work since 1966 or a Corvette since 1954.

I have had a real, REAL bad experience too with MINI. Did I learn some things? Yeah I did, like not to buy a car that does not have a dealer in town for WARRANTY work (Mine was in third year production). I have been watching this board and the children's table site for over a year now watching reliability. On top of that I have been on Honda ones for the CR-Z and MINI ones because I still have a classic Mini and I can say that Fiat has the least amount of issues than the other two. Thats why I am putting my deposit down in December.

Not sure why you want to argue, I am just trying to find out info about the reliability/quality of the 2013 model. Since you don't even own one not sure why you are posting feedback on my post?

hanzo
10-22-2012, 08:19 PM
I have a 2013 Abarth (Nero with the red trim) Love it, no issues so far except a little shrink wrap stuck in the groove on top of the windshield. Runs great, people are whipping their neck around when I pass by. LOL

I have had it 3 weeks. Only thing I miss is the nice big bed of my F-150 that I traded in for it. LOL! Not so easy to haul stuff around but I love that little car!coolgleam

So paint around the front and rear badge on the bumpers are fine, rear window washer doesn't dribble and the rear main seal is not leaking? Thanks for the feedback.

VTEC Mini
10-22-2012, 11:55 PM
Not sure why you want to argue, I am just trying to find out info about the reliability/quality of the 2013 model. Since you don't even own one not sure why you are posting feedback on my post?First of all this a public forum and I can post where I want along with anybody else.

I am not trying to argue at all, you asked and I answered after over a year of observation and research. When I tried to be reassuring you drifted onto something that had nothing to do with reliability and tried to say a car after a second year should not have any warranty issues. Just because I don't own one doesn't mean anything. After doing over a year of research on this forum and others, reading long term test drives like from Car & Driver, Edmond's and more car review articles than I can count then bouncing that off other makes in its price range, then to going on test drives in one auto Sport, two manual Sports, one convertible Pop and two Abarths and visiting and talking with every dealer in the L.A. area I have come to an unbiased observation and opinion and I think I am well justified in my statements (I would think thats what you are looking for). If anything I would say I am more rounded and opened minded when it comes to this compared to some owners. For Example; if you have an owner who is disgruntle because he happened to buy one that was put together poorly he will swear up and down on what a piece of crap the brand is and how they don't care and to stay away, blah, blah blah, or you could have an owner who is such a fanatic that you wont get an honest answer out of them good or bad and everything else is just a piece of crap regardless. After all you did come to a Fiat forum to ask how the car was. What did you think you where going to get?

You already put down a deposit anyway so why ask now? Should have done so before putting a deposit down?

William M Jacocks Jr
10-23-2012, 07:10 AM
So paint around the front and rear badge on the bumpers are fine, rear window washer doesn't dribble and the rear main seal is not leaking? Thanks for the feedback.

No issues on any of those items.

hanzo
10-23-2012, 08:25 AM
No issues on any of those items.

Good to know thanks! Please anyone else who currently owns a 2013 please chime in.

Dwaynek
10-23-2012, 09:35 AM
Mine built in April no issue other than the side skirts and not happy with the PCM re flash. Love driving it!

hanzo
10-23-2012, 09:46 AM
Mine built in April no issue other than the side skirts and not happy with the PCM re flash. Love driving it!

So is that considered 2012 or 2013?

Pinecone
10-23-2012, 12:35 PM
ALL makes and models of cars have warranty issues for ALL model years. They make THOUSANDS of cars, and can you do anything 10,000 times and NOT make a mistake.

One engine failure was a valve spring breaking. Let's see, Fiat sells 4K cars per month. Each engine has 16 valve springs. So 64,000 valves springs per month. And expect to have NO failures? Not likely.

Heck, $200,000 Ferrari F458 Italias are catching fire and burning to the ground. :)

You may get a great one, and you may get a not so great one. NO MATTER WHICH BRAND YOU BUY.

Fiat500USA
10-23-2012, 01:07 PM
Heck, $200,000 Ferrari F458 Italias are catching fire and burning to the ground. :)

That got me laughing! evil_laughter

Your post sums it up, though.

If you get a car you really like, it is easier to put in perspective any issues you may have with it. If you don't really like the car, the smallest thing will just piss you off and if you let it, ruin your ownership experience.

I've owned a bunch of Italian cars over the last 30 plus years, and the main things I remember about them were how much fun they were. I don't think I would want a car that its one claim to fame was "it was reliable." Too boring.

hanzo
10-23-2012, 02:15 PM

If you get a car you really like, it is easier to put in perspective any issues you may have with it. If you don't really like the car, the smallest thing will just piss you off and if you let it, ruin your ownership experience.

I've owned a bunch of Italian cars over the last 30 plus years, and the main things I remember about them were how much fun they were. I don't think I would want a car that its one claim to fame was "it was reliable." Too boring.

I don't agree, you can love a car and if something does go wrong you would be pissed. The reason why is because you love it. If you don't love the car then you don't really care. Like I said in my previous posts I've had bad experience with warranty work before so I kind of have a bad taste on my mouth. There is nothing wrong with a car being reliable, reliable does not always equal boring. My WRX was reliable, miatas were reliable, my EVO not so much, my RX-7 not at all, it all depends.

I just don't want to have the hassle of having to take a brand new car back for rear main seal leaks, paint problems, leaky rear window washers etc. I am really looking for some owner feedback on the 2013 Abarth.

Daimlersam
10-24-2012, 12:18 AM
I picked up my 2013 last week and have put on 800 miles so far. Zero issues! My car was supposed to be delivered at the end of August, but was sent to storage at the factory for about 2 weeks. My dealer speculated that my car and others were being held because some issue may have been found and Fiat was addressing the issue and holding shipment. Sure enough. My car went back to production status and then shipped. My sales rep did state that he didn't know wat was up with any changes that the factory may have done, but that my car was one of the better ones e has driven.

For what it's worth.... I just got back from over a two week visit to Italy and noted that driving behavior and road conditions there, I.e., cobblestones and narrow challenging roads subject the cars to a lot of grueling abuse. If Fiats can endure the conditions in Itally, they should do well on our tamer
US roadways
Sam

ukeluthier
10-24-2012, 11:31 AM
I now have about 2300 miles on my 2013 Abarth about 5 weeks in, and have had zero reliability issues. No factory defects that I've found either (other than my owner's manual being delivered in Spanish and a missing TIREFIT kit which has now been replaced). I love it!

Had some concern over a bit flatulent-sounding exhaust note that I noticed when pulling long, steep grades up in the Pennsylvania mountains, but I've decided it must be normal.

hanzo
10-24-2012, 11:52 AM
I now have about 2300 miles on my 2013 Abarth about 5 weeks in, and have had zero reliability issues. No factory defects that I've found either (other than my owner's manual being delivered in Spanish and a missing TIREFIT kit which has now been replaced). I love it!

Had some concern over a bit flatulent-sounding exhaust note that I noticed when pulling long, steep grades up in the Pennsylvania mountains, but I've decided it must be normal.

So paint looks fine around the front grill emblem and side skirts?

MrFiat
10-24-2012, 03:07 PM
I don't agree, you can love a car and if something does go wrong you would be pissed. The reason why is because you love it. If you don't love the car then you don't really care. Like I said in my previous posts I've had bad experience with warranty work before so I kind of have a bad taste on my mouth. There is nothing wrong with a car being reliable, reliable does not always equal boring. My WRX was reliable, miatas were reliable, my EVO not so much, my RX-7 not at all, it all depends.

I just don't want to have the hassle of having to take a brand new car back for rear main seal leaks, paint problems, leaky rear window washers etc. I am really looking for some owner feedback on the 2013 Abarth.

I've lived with Fiat automobiles for 50 years now. I replaced an 03 Honda Civic Si with a 2012 500 Sport. Still happy with the decision. I was concerned at first about reliability too, but never had a problem. In fact, I was so impressed with the car that I had no qualms about also getting the 2012 Abarth version when it first became available. 2500+ miles on it and I'm still happy with that decision as well.

Aside from death and taxes, life just doesn't come with guarantees. My experiences may turn out to be different from yours, but all things being equal, it shouldn't. For whatever it's worth, it seems to me, the new generation of Fiats are being made very well.

fxw1947
10-24-2012, 03:38 PM
I would wait Fait is coming out with a couple of new models. some have better gas miles and in time the price may drop

Deefourtay
10-24-2012, 04:44 PM
My Abarth seems to be worlds more reliable then some other car's I've had, especially since it's brand new, you will be fine as long as you don't abuse the crap out of it. You're buying a vehicle that is basically a performance car that can suit everyday daily driving just fine! This is coming from a guy that owned a Mitsubishi Evo, I had to work on that car a lot just to keep it running right.. The Abarth is a easier & lower cost car to own in that sense. Plus.. You gotta pay to play sometimes, not all cars are perfect.. I've seen new Mercedes-Benz leaking oil out of the tranny, however new cars have warranty so no worries..

This is my 2nd New Fiat, they all very well built cars.. You won't be disappointed :)

ukeluthier
10-24-2012, 08:28 PM
So paint looks fine around the front grill emblem and side skirts?

Yep... none of the paint problems some others have complained about. No problem with skirt separation either. Mine was one of the first 2013s delivered.

lagallinavecchia
10-25-2012, 09:21 AM

Funny you say that. My other choice was the Subaru BRZ. Though I'm sure it is a rip to drive "fast and furious", I got the impression that daily driving is... boring. No drama. If you buy an Italian car, you're asking for a little drama. Just ask anyone driving any year of any Alfa Romeo. Or Jeremy Clarkson =)

I'm happy with my choice, though I'd love to get the BRZ on a closed course!

lagallinavecchia
10-25-2012, 09:28 AM

I get that you don't want to deal with any hassles because of quality control, you've mentioned it in almost every post. I think you should probably back out of this deal... because at some point you're going to have an issue and no matter what the severity, it sounds like you're going to have buyer's remorse when it happens.

Like I mentioned in my previous post, the Subaru BRZ/Scion FR-S is a fantastic car for the $. Both Subaru and Toyota have pretty good service records. I just don't think you get the same "soul" from those cars as you do with the FIAT.

Just my opinion, of course.

VTEC Mini
10-25-2012, 09:35 AM
I get that you don't want to deal with any hassles because of quality control, you've mentioned it in almost every post. I think you should probably back out of this deal... because at some point you're going to have an issue and no matter what the severity, it sounds like you're going to have buyer's remorse when it happens.

Like I mentioned in my previous post, the Subaru BRZ/Scion FR-S is a fantastic car for the $. Both Subaru and Toyota have pretty good service records. I just don't think you get the same "soul" from those cars as you do with the FIAT.

Just my opinion, of course.+1

hanzo
10-25-2012, 09:43 AM

Just my opinion, of course.

I am okay with warranty work later down the road say a year or two but sounds like a lot of owners have problems right off the dealer lot. I just don't want to have to deal with that as I drive off the lot.

Funny that you guys mentioned BRZ/FRS, I actually had a BRZ, sold it because I had some quality issue (that was the bad taste in my mouth I mentioned). Had some noises (that wasnít there when I picked up the car) from the high pressure fuel pump, the AC, and the shifter rattles, all with less than 2000 miles on it. I loved the BRZ but with all those issues I was really unhappy. I don't want to go through that again so I want to make sure the Abarth doesn't have any build quality issue right off the bat. When I bought the BRZ I knew going into it that buying a 1st year car has its risk especially when it's the product of 2 different companies. I just didn't expect to have that many issues.

I test drove an Abarth, loved it for a different reason than the BRZ. It's not a driverís car like the BRZ but it has its charm/character. I love the sound of the engine/exhaust and style of it. Also it'll replace my current daily (2009 Honda Fit) so it's more than adequate as a daily replacement.

VTEC Mini
10-25-2012, 10:00 AM
I am okay with warranty work later down the road say a year or two but sounds like a lot of owners have problems right off the dealer lot. I just don't want to have to deal with that as I drive off the lot.

Funny that you guys mentioned BRZ/FRS, I actually had a BRZ, sold it because I had some quality issue (that was the bad taste in my mouth I mentioned). Had some noises (that wasn’t there when I picked up the car) from the high pressure fuel pump, the AC, and the shifter rattles, all with less than 2000 miles on it. I loved the BRZ but with all those issues I was really unhappy. I don't want to go through that again so I want to make sure the Abarth doesn't have any build quality issue right off the bat. When I bought the BRZ I knew going into it that buying a 1st year car has its risk especially when it's the product of 2 different companies. I just didn't expect to have that many issues.

I test drove an Abarth, loved it for a different reason than the BRZ. It's not a driver’s car like the BRZ but it has its charm/character. I love the sound of the engine/exhaust and style of it. Also it'll replace my current daily (2009 Honda Fit) so it's more than adequate as a daily replacement.

Here is this;

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8325/8122010959_eba63f2377_b.jpg

But like ANYTHING that is mass produced and expect it to be trouble free 100% all of the time and perfect is not reality. You always take a chance and if you are not accepting of that and expect it to be perfect with no exceptions than you are setting yourself up for disappointment, and regret- just like the BRZ you bought.

FTY
10-25-2012, 10:06 AM
I test drove an Abarth, loved it for a different reason than the BRZ. It's not a driver’s car like the BRZ but it has its charm/character. I love the sound of the engine/exhaust and style of it. Also it'll replace my current daily (2009 Honda Fit) so it's more than adequate as a daily replacement.

Id have to disagree that the Abarth is not a drivers car, Id like to think it is. Its just not marketed exclusively as one.

hanzo
10-25-2012, 10:14 AM
Id have to disagree that the Abarth is not a drivers car, Id like to think it is. Its just not marketed exclusively as one.

It's all relative, to me I've driven and owned a lot of cars, Evo 5, Evo 8, RX7 FC, RX FD, Lotus Elise, Boxster Spyder, 911s, S2000, Integra Type R, M3s, etc. Comparing to the BRZ the Abarth not a drives car, it's all relative really. I love the Abarth for what it is.

FTY
10-25-2012, 10:23 AM
What did you think about mitsubishi's intial quality?

I too have Owned and played with a few 911's,Sti's and lots of Audis and Vw's and think the Abarth is a drivers car. Some of those cars saw the track some did not. I like each one of them for different reasons and think that all the cars I buy are drivers cars.

hanzo
10-25-2012, 10:31 AM
What did you think about mitsubishi's intial quality?

I too have Owned and played with a few 911's,Sti's and lots of Audis and Vw's and think the Abarth is a drivers car. Some of those cars saw the track some did not. I like each one of them for different reasons and think that all the cars I buy are drivers cars.

My Evo 8 was great brand new, and then I had some issues later on. One of the light bulb went out behind the dash (when they replaced it they scratched my dash). I had some rock chips on the rear fender (right in front of the rear wheel wells) they didn’t do anything about it. The clutch didn't last long even though I didn't drop the clutch or drag race the car (started to chatter after 42,000K miles). Other than those issues it's been pretty reliable.

Like you said, they are all different but to me when comparing to the BRZ the Abarth just wasn't as driver focus IMO.

10-25-2012, 10:32 AM
I actually see the Abarth, and 500 in general. as VERY reliable! For the amount of cars on the road there are very little major problems at all. Every manufacturer in the world has cars return for this and that so its to be expected. Ive had nothing, zero, wrong with the car and Im at 15k now, and thats a first for my cars.

As for Is it a drivers car? YES YES AND YES, you wouldnt buy this unless you were an ethusiastic driver - it would terrify someone who wants simplistic comfort in a vehicle. It does very little to aid you when driven as intended and in the world of modern cars its refreshing to see something as close to bare bones driving fun as the Abarth is, and in the $$ bracket - there is NO alternative in this segment! Name another sub $30k small performance hatch built to be driven??

lagallinavecchia
10-25-2012, 11:29 AM
Funny that you guys mentioned BRZ/FRS, I actually had a BRZ, sold it because I had some quality issue (that was the bad taste in my mouth I mentioned). Had some noises (that wasnít there when I picked up the car) from the high pressure fuel pump, the AC, and the shifter rattles, all with less than 2000 miles on it. I loved the BRZ but with all those issues I was really unhappy. I don't want to go through that again so I want to make sure the Abarth doesn't have any build quality issue right off the bat. When I bought the BRZ I knew going into it that buying a 1st year car has its risk especially when it's the product of 2 different companies. I just didn't expect to have that many issues.

I test drove an Abarth, loved it for a different reason than the BRZ. It's not a driverís car like the BRZ but it has its charm/character. I love the sound of the engine/exhaust and style of it. Also it'll replace my current daily (2009 Honda Fit) so it's more than adequate as a daily replacement.

Wow! Thanks for the feedback on the BRZ. I'm surprised... but to your point, first year out as well as being Subaru's first venture into a RWD sports car..........

hownowcb
10-25-2012, 11:35 AM
Admittedly, hanzo, I can't honestly attest to "reliability" since my Abarth was only built yesterday, and has yet to turn a wheel under my command. That said, I've put many miles on studio demonstrators, and the last one I took on a half day drive had 10,000 miles on it. Frankly, the experience was identical to the one I drove that had only 1,000 miles on it, and I mean that literally. Not a single squeak, rattle, thump, clank, whine -- nothing at all undesirable. The only difference I might have detected was that the exhaust note seemed ever so slightly quieter on the Abarth with the higher mileage, but I wouldn't swear to that because I didn't drive them both on the same day.

I knew that the last new car I bought was exactly the car for me. It wasn't perfect, but the literal quality/reliability has been outstanding. There was no other vehicle even in the running. I have exactly the same opinion of my Abarth -- it is exactly the car for me. It's nothing like my last one, which is also why I'm keeping that car. It's not a very practical proposition, but I can afford to do it, so I'll admit I'm fortunate in that respect. Still, I expect to be nothing but thrilled with my Abarth for many years.

Worldwide, the Fiat 500 has already been on the market quite some time, and primarily received rave reviews. I'm inclined to give that far more weight than what people here on the forum will have to say. Some suggest your expectations are too rigid. Some suggest you don't appreciate what a great vehicle the Abarth is. But I think I have to side with lagallinavecchia in advising that you not buy an Abarth. To date, you've come across as far too eager to be disappointed, and when you eventually are, I don't want to be subjected to what you'll be likely to say.

hanzo
10-25-2012, 12:02 PM
Ultimately it's my decision to either buy or not buy the car. I am not going to blame anyone here if something does go wrong with the car. What I am literally is looking for some honest feedback from 2013 owners on their experience in terms of quality/reliability. No one is forcing me to buy the car, I want the car, I like the car. Currently I still have my order in, the salesman told me 6-8 weeks so I am going to sit tight and wait to see the car in person, inspect it carefully, test drive it before I sign the paper.

Please, I am still looking for more feedback from current owners, thanks.

hanzo
10-25-2012, 12:06 PM
Wow! Thanks for the feedback on the BRZ. I'm surprised... but to your point, first year out as well as being Subaru's first venture into a RWD sports car..........

I was shocked as well since I had no problem with my first year WRX back in 2002. I guess there are too many variables that could go wrong when you use direct injection, high pressure fuel pump, transmission (sourced) from Toyota on a predominately Subaru build car. I'm sure they'll get it right just will take another year or two.

VTEC Mini
10-25-2012, 12:15 PM
. Some suggest you don't appreciate what a great vehicle the Abarth is. But I think I have to side with lagallinavecchia in advising that you not buy an Abarth. To date, you've come across as far too eager to be disappointed, and when you eventually are, I don't want to be subjected to what you'll be likely to say.Yep, I can see in about two months another thread popping up about what a POS the Abarth is, what crappy service he got and Blah, blah, blah over the first rattle, miss colored bolt or mirror rattle etc..

SteveL
11-01-2012, 05:59 PM
My experiences with the reliability have been great so far.
As of 11/1 I have 14,000 miles on my Abarth. No issues.
Plus, my 500 Sport hit 28K miles before I traded it for the Abarth.

Dwaynek
11-01-2012, 08:23 PM
no real issues with my Abarth 2012 other than the re flash. However installed a sprint booster and now it goes faster faster! 9000 kilometers on my Abarth and had over 24000 on my sport before i sold it last year no issues!

RickJ
11-02-2012, 08:56 PM
no real issues with mine either (2012) - 4K miles - the recall was done 'while I waited' in 20 min. I'd buy one again.....RickJ

nmcomp
11-05-2012, 02:25 PM
I just recently took delivery of my 2013 Abarth. Granted, I've only had it 3 weeks and it has just over 500 miles...but to date, I have had zero, nil, zip, nada issues with it. On delivery it was 100% (well except for tire pressures, a known overfilling delivery item).
Not a squeak, not a rattle, no weird diagnostic errors, no rear washer drips, nothing. It works, drives, runs exactly like it's supposed to, and how I expect a new vehicle to. It's my daily driver, rush hour traffic, stop & go, surface roads & highway.
Since the 2013s have only been in owner's hands for a couple of months there isn't any long-term data. But judging from my experience, FIAT has corrected known problems with the early 2012s and made some improvements.
I wouldn't hesitate to say that if you're thinking about getting a 2013, DO IT.

bawight
11-05-2012, 05:23 PM
^What he said^ I have had my 2013 about a week and a half (around 500 miles) and have no problems at all. I don't know how long that will last but I will keep my fingers crossed that it continues. The car feels really solid and surprisingly well put together, especially considering Fiat and Chrysler's long term reputations.

hanzo
11-14-2012, 08:16 AM
Anymore new 2013 owners?

sk8ace
11-14-2012, 06:29 PM
Just under 2,000 on my 2013. Nothing bad to report. Still putting smiles on my face every day!

deathshead
11-14-2012, 07:29 PM
1999 miles, the only issue is the passenger sideskirt is popping up in the corner in front of the rear wheel a very common issue that Fiat has had no trouble fixing.
I just have to get an appointment setup.

hanzo
11-14-2012, 08:46 PM
1999 miles, the only issue is the passenger sideskirt is popping up in the corner in front of the rear wheel a very common issue that Fiat has had no trouble fixing.

2013?

stevenvillatoro
11-14-2012, 10:16 PM
5K miles on my Abarth ó it is solid and has been free from problems. It has a FOUR-year warranty, should anything go wrong.

Best car I ever had, and it's hard to imagine driving anything else now.

Robert Nixon
11-14-2012, 10:48 PM
hanzo,

yes, deathshead has a 2013, he picked it up in SEP 2012. You can look at each member's profile and see the threads they have started.

pastor passum
11-15-2012, 02:05 AM

Wouldn't quite agree with the "no trouble fixing" statement as mine has been in 3 times so far for the fix. The last time they put on new side skirts and was in the body shop a couple days for painting and to make sure the fix took. They are starting to pull away slightly again. I don't like having my car in the body shop so I'll live with it for a while. Let them practice on someone else's for a while...then before the warranty runs out I'll try again.

Tweak
11-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Maybe too early but around 600 miles and about 3 weeks (this Friday) and no issues to report with my 2013...but, when I picked mine up the chrome pieces that extend from the center of the front badge were not completely flat, I noticed this on the day of pickup and figured I would see how it holds up rather than leave the studio (an bit of an hour from home) and return again at a later time. If it worsens I may look at resolving it myself, might take it in but for now nothing but that which I don't really count since it is very minor.

VTEC Mini
11-15-2012, 10:05 AM
Maybe too early but around 600 miles and about 3 weeks (this Friday) and no issues to report with my 2013...but, when I picked mine up the chrome pieces that extend from the center of the front badge were not completely flat, I noticed this on the day of pickup and figured I would see how it holds up rather than leave the studio (an bit of an hour from home) and return again at a later time. If it worsens I may look at resolving it myself, might take it in but for now nothing but that which I don't really count since it is very minor.

Welcome to the "adults table" Tweak! :)

Tweak
11-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Welcome to the "adults table" Tweak! :)

Thanks buddy, I see many here I recognize from "over there". I like it there but as of late too much drama. I happened scross here via a Google search and saw someone post that lives just down the road, joined to contact them to reach out to the local FIAT owners, decided why not stay and try to get involved and help out, hopefully I can be of some use here, always felt like I was helping on the other place so we'll see what comes of things here. :)

VTEC Mini
11-15-2012, 10:44 AM
Thanks buddy, I see many here I recognize from "over there". I like it there but as of late too much drama. I happened scross here via a Google search and saw someone post that lives just down the road, joined to contact them to reach out to the local FIAT owners, decided why not stay and try to get involved and help out, hopefully I can be of some use here, always felt like I was helping on the other place so we'll see what comes of things here. :)

This site is a wonderful! This one is my favorite by far. The people on this site are much more mature and as far as finding out factory insight on whats all with Fiat, Chris is pretty good and providing that info. Once and awhile a pissing match will break out but nothing compared to "The children's table" web site. I am glad you are here :).

Tweak
11-15-2012, 10:49 AM
This site is a wonderful! This one is my favorite by far. The people on this site are much more mature and as far as finding out factory insight on whats all with Fiat, Chris is pretty good and providing that info. Once and awhile a pissing match will break out but nothing compared to "The children's table" web site. I am glad you are here :).

Thanks, as time passes I suspect I will spend more time here. :) I am happy to see a mature group and less drama!

trevc
11-15-2012, 12:58 PM
New Abarth and all grown up :encouragement: Welcome to this forum!

Racerflash
11-15-2012, 08:29 PM
My 2013 is officially a week old today! Happy Birthday (just like Frosty says it!). Almost 500 miles and the car is superb. Loving it and more fun than my twin turbo RX-7 was! Only problem from day 1 is the passenger side tailpipe sticks out about 1 1/2" more than the drivers side. Not super noticeable but I'm OCD. Dealer said to bring it in for adjustment, but I'm going to work on it myself first so the grease monkeys don't mess anything else up!

Added my first mod today! The Red Stubby antennae, looks great!

- Flash!

Tweak
11-15-2012, 11:15 PM
New Abarth and all grown up :encouragement: Welcome to this forum!

Thanks! ;)

Pinecone
11-16-2012, 02:15 PM
Not a 13, but our 12 just turned over 3K miles and no issues.

Crossfirecat
11-16-2012, 02:31 PM
Just passed the 6000 mile mark on my 13. No issues at at all in terms of reliability. I do have a slight rattle coming from the passenger side of the dash or possibly the door. Can't tell for certain as its random when I hear it and tough to tell exactly where it's coming from.

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
11-16-2012, 03:02 PM
I had a rattle as well, until I found a bottle top wedged under pass seat. Now all smiles! Mine is a 12 with 6700 miles.

Abarth Five O
11-16-2012, 04:15 PM
Thanks! ;)

Welcome Tweak! Good to see you on this forum too.

Tweak
11-16-2012, 10:36 PM
Welcome Tweak! Good to see you on this forum too.

Hey! Thanks buddy, good to be here.

@Crossfirecat I'm glad to know I am not the only one that has the rattle, mine is I think from the passenger side dash but I figure with time it may work its way out.

bawight
11-29-2012, 10:16 PM
Just passed the 6000 mile mark on my 13. No issues at at all in terms of reliability. I do have a slight rattle coming from the passenger side of the dash or possibly the door. Can't tell for certain as its random when I hear it and tough to tell exactly where it's coming from.

I have this same thing (sounds like it's in the dash), as well as a rattle coming from the right rear interior panel (sounds like keys jingling.

Leotxn
11-30-2012, 01:25 AM
16k on my Sparky and no issues thus far except the smart asses at the gate on post every morning that make the "hey does that come with it's own carriying handle? ". Of course I have to take off and let them hear Sparky growl with a purpose. But seriously no issues, except a rude person who left a nice ding in the passenger side door.

FiatCares
11-30-2012, 02:10 PM
I have this same thing (sounds like it's in the dash), as well as a rattle coming from the right rear interior panel (sounds like keys jingling.

Crossfire: Has the studio had an opportunity to address this noise, or pinpoint the source?

djhace
11-30-2012, 11:40 PM
i only have about 100 miles on my 2013 abarth. but hell, i love it. and that's why i bought it. the hardest part was to wait 2-3 months for it.

it just so nice, all around. (and damn it, i don't want to see a 4 door version of it.) hah.

djhace
11-30-2012, 11:43 PM
16k on my Sparky and no issues thus far except the smart asses at the gate on post every morning that make the "hey does that come with it's own carriying handle? ". Of course I have to take off and let them hear Sparky growl with a purpose. But seriously no issues, except a rude person who left a nice ding in the passenger side door.

i had a 500sport, silver. while waiting for my abarth. someone ding my car also, parked on the street. just after the door handle. i don't get it. why people do that. it's pretty retarded.

Cajun
12-13-2012, 12:27 PM
I just registered here a few minutes ago so I could say "thank you."
Thanks to everyone who shared information in this thread.
I put a deposit down Tuesday on my 2013 Abarth and will take delivery this Saturday!

FiatCares
12-13-2012, 12:30 PM
I put a deposit down Tuesday on my 2013 Abarth and will take delivery this Saturday!

Cajun: Congrats on your new ride!

trevc
12-13-2012, 12:35 PM
You will love it! Congratulations.

b56.1m6
12-13-2012, 01:47 PM
Congrats! I still want one, just not from Criswell!. I guess we need to pick our studio carefully.

FTY
12-13-2012, 02:12 PM
15k of some hard driven miles, zero problems. 12k with TMC setting 8, zero issues.

Robert Nixon
12-13-2012, 02:20 PM
congrats on placing the order!

ukeluthier
12-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Congrats! I still want one, just not from Criswell!. I guess we need to pick our studio carefully.

I got a very good trade-in offer on my 2003 Mini Cooper S from Heritage Fiat in Owings Mills, MD.

Tweak
12-13-2012, 10:49 PM
Congrats on an awesome ride you are sure to love and welcome to the forum!

b56.1m6
12-14-2012, 08:54 AM
I got a very good trade-in offer on my 2003 Mini Cooper S from Heritage Fiat in Owings Mills, MD.
I guess it is like I said we need to pick our studios carefully! My problem was not so much the numbers they offered but they way he, Tony G mislead me. I told him I wouldn't take less than my number and dont bother wasting my time, then he replied come on in, did he think I was kidding?

guygeo
01-18-2014, 10:49 PM
Thinking about getting an Abarth cabrio red..
or a Fiesta ST....

Coming out of a FR-S qith lots of trouble..
Car not starting on winter temperature (- 20C)
ECU reflashed
ECU finally replaced
Noisy fuel pump
Replacement of the fuel pump
Frozen windows because of a bad desigh
3 rd gear starting to grind
Aftermarket exhaust knocking on the floor panel frame...
Total milleage: 12 000km... acr currently sold.

Sstill winter here and lot of cold, worried about the handling in the snow...

My Winter beater car actually is a Corolla 2008 SE manual..at least it is reliable but boring to drive..:(

zyxelenator
01-18-2014, 11:05 PM
Thinking about getting an Abarth cabrio red..
or a Fiesta ST....

Coming out of a FR-S qith lots of trouble..
Car not starting on winter temperature (- 20C)
ECU reflashed
ECU finally replaced
Noisy fuel pump
Replacement of the fuel pump
Frozen windows because of a bad desigh
3 rd gear starting to grind
Aftermarket exhaust knocking on the floor panel frame...
Total milleage: 12 000km... acr currently sold.

Sstill winter here and lot of cold, worried about the handling in the snow...

My Winter beater car actually is a Corolla 2008 SE manual..at least it is reliable but boring to drive..:(
Fiats can have hard time starting in cold,especially at first key turn. Most time they will start on second, they need to build up oil pressure for Multi-Air system, since oil is getting thicker when cold - no start on first turn sometimes. Get factory oil heater when you order your Abarth.
I may try Fiesta or Focus ST next, I have discounts on all Chrysler/Dodge/Fiat/Ford/Jeep/Mercedes cars, but chose Fiat for now. Hope Alfa will get us hot hatch by the time I will want to change my car.

Dr. FIAT
01-19-2014, 11:44 PM
16K on my 2013 Meatball, only issues were side skirt (thanks Discount Tire) and paint peeling on the strip right behind the windshield. All warranty work.

Mechanically, this thing runs like it did off the showroom floor. Great car!

Darin

VTEC Mini
01-20-2014, 09:37 AM
16K on my 2013 Meatball, only issues were side skirt (thanks Discount Tire) and paint peeling on the strip right behind the windshield. All warranty work.

Mechanically, this thing runs like it did off the showroom floor. Great car!

DarinHad several issues. So many that my car now falls under "Chrysler customer speacialty care." In other words when my car goes in on a monthly basis for some repair that the factory and corperate get involved.

Ryephile
01-20-2014, 12:09 PM
Fiats can have hard time starting in cold,especially at first key turn. ....

My Abarth has been flawless in the -15įF weather we've been having up here in Michigan. Actually as a whole it's been one of the more reliable cars I've owned, barring the very easily fixable coolant tank clamp. Knock on wood.

DuckDodgers
01-20-2014, 01:30 PM
Doc, I found that talking with Discount Tire BEFORE getting into the bay and then being outside talking with the guys placing the jacks made it painless. Once they were aware of the possible issue, they were quite adept at avoiding a problem.

Now, about Safelite replacing the windshield...there is a very easy to forget click connecter to the windshield washers that can be missed when putting the lower windshield cover back on...ask me how I know!

Gundy
01-20-2014, 04:40 PM
I bought my '13 Abarth this past November. No problems. The dealer has been super. They even took
the side stripes off at my request.
As to being a driver's car or not.....it IS a driver' car. Will it out corner my modified Frogeye? No.
Is it a hoot to flog? You betcha.
I love the thing. I regularly rev to redline. It loves rev and I feed it the skinny pedal at every
opportunity .
It just has so much pizzaz.
So much so I bought the wife a 500L Trekking. She LOVES it.
Both of the 500s are loaded with about every option including the Beats audio.
Just really like both of them.
Funny but the 2 cars are sooooo different but fill different niches in our stable of cars.
Results may vary but we couldn't be more pleased in our little cars.

BecauseRacecar
01-21-2014, 01:57 PM
Both Fiats I've owned have had lots of issues, from the little stuff like the exterior badges bubbling and the headliner separating, to bigger stuff like the rear main seal leaking, the power steering turning off on the highway, and the gearbox not going into 1st gear when cold (transmission problem, still being diagnosed.)

My new Abarth has been in the shop 7 times, and I've only had it one month. Fix It Again, Tony!
After one more trip to the shop, I'm eligible for NJ's lemon law (the dealer buys back) - and I might just use it.

THAT BEING SAID, the two 500s have never once left me stranded, never stopped running, fun to drive, and are absolute champs in the snow with a good set of winters.

If I had the chance to do it again, knowing beforehand all the problems I would have.... I don't know, maybe I would have gotten the new GTi or Fiesta ST. The new STi looks cool too.

Take that for what it's worth. Seems most people haven't had many issues with theirs.

skyx39
01-21-2014, 01:59 PM
Both Fiats I've owned have had lots of issues, from the little stuff like the exterior badges bubbling and the headliner separating, to bigger stuff like the rear main seal leaking, the power steering turning off on the highway, and the gearbox not going into 1st gear when cold (transmission problem, still being diagnosed.)

My new Abarth has been in the shop 7 times, and I've only had it one month.

THAT BEING SAID, they have never once left me stranded, never stopped running, fun to drive, and are absolute champs in the snow with a good set of winters.

If I had the chance to do it again, knowing beforehand all the problems I would have.... I don't know, maybe I would have gotten the new GTi or Fiesta ST.

Take that for what it's worth. Seems most people haven't had many issues with theirs.

Not sure if the GTI would have fared any better.

Dr. FIAT
01-21-2014, 10:11 PM
Doc, I found that talking with Discount Tire BEFORE getting into the bay and then being outside talking with the guys placing the jacks made it painless. Once they were aware of the possible issue, they were quite adept at avoiding a problem.

Now, about Safelite replacing the windshield...there is a very easy to forget click connecter to the windshield washers that can be missed when putting the lower windshield cover back on...ask me how I know!

Duck- you are right. Actually, I WAS out there talking to them, but I didn't even know that the car won't tolerate a lift!! So both I and Discount got a good learning that day. I go in there routinely now for tire rotations, and out come the floor jacks!! LOL

Thanks

BecauseRacecar
01-21-2014, 10:14 PM
Not sure if the GTI would have fared any better.

Okay I'll give you that - my VW friends carry a spare coil pack in their car kit. :P

robin
01-21-2014, 11:10 PM
I have a 2013 and the only problem
is Lower Molding trim - Needs new adhesive(no biggie)
Going to be fixed tomorrow.

guygeo
01-22-2014, 10:25 AM
What about the ones who live in the cold like me in Quebec??
Any cold starting issue?

William M Jacocks Jr
01-23-2014, 11:21 PM
15 months, 21K miles and no regrets. None.

As for cold start, I tend to get iced over so I have to crank it up, turn on the heater to defrost and hit those seat warmers and I just sit there in idle for a few minutes before it starts clearing the windshield. I have a chip in the shield so I refuse to throw water on it. :D

catman2130093
03-29-2014, 12:33 AM
yep-that about sums it up!

Chops
04-02-2014, 01:34 PM
I read through the first four pages or so of this thread and hope to heck that "hanzo" dude didn't buy the Abarth. It would be a total waste of a perfectly good car in his hands.

The things he nit-picked about with his other cars were just ridicules. Little rattles here and there and small rock chips in the rear wheel wells are NOT reasons to get rid of a car and/or put on your personal s&#t list. Then he starts going on about the Abarth not being a driver's car. Please... I've had two very different Mazda Miata's over a 10 year period. The 2002 (was my first Miata) was slightly modified, the 1991 (which I traded in on the Abarth) was highly modified. If you want a driver's car, those are them! Especially the '91, very raw, rough around the edges, direct, one with the car feeling and handling out of this world. Pretty much a street legal race car.

In the past two weeks of ownership of my new Abarth, it is every bit as much of a driver's car as those two Miata's were. It's just more refined and grown up. It still sounds great, handles great and performs great. Oh, and did I mention it sounds great?! The ONLY complaint I would have to say I have with the Abarth (as many others have said as well) is the overall seating position/height. Yes, I too wish the seat placed me a little lower down in the car, but that's really me just nit-picking at that point which is something I don't intend to do with the Abarth.

Anyway, that's just my little rant. :wink:

johniew398
04-08-2014, 08:31 PM
I can't speak about the 2013 but I own a 2012 I've owned since May 2012 and so far have no issues.

GHAZAN
04-08-2014, 09:04 PM
1. Paint chipping on front bumper from front emblem
2. Spider web cracks on hood / Poor paint quality
3. Plastic interior scuffs easily
4. front bumper and side passenger fender small gap

that's it for now

opiateESP
04-08-2014, 09:25 PM
1. Paint chipping on front bumper from front emblem

There's a recall for that.

2. Spider web cracks on hood / Poor paint quality

Paint does chip pretty easy, I would bring it back for spidering though.

3. Plastic interior scuffs easily

Yup. Cheapy plastic sucks.

4. front bumper and side passenger fender small gap

Get the studio to adjust them if they're far out.

... but they're still fun though.

GHAZAN
04-08-2014, 09:30 PM
Yea I'm going to take it in for all these issues plus an oil change just need some free time.

What does the recall for the front emblem entail? Was this the rubber separator they put to create some space and just touch up the small chips?

Btw I've owned my car for 2 months ... sucks.

Small&Wicked2013
04-08-2014, 09:32 PM
Almost 12000 miles and a little over a year old and no issues so far :thumbsup:

opiateESP
04-08-2014, 09:53 PM
Yea I'm going to take it in for all these issues plus an oil change just need some free time.

What does the recall for the front emblem entail? Was this the rubber separator they put to create some space and just touch up the small chips?

Not sure. They replaced my whole emblem even though the chips hadn't developed.

SouthBend500
04-09-2014, 10:10 PM
Powertrain...No issues. I'm very impressed and have driven it hard as it's my toy to go to work in and drive on weekends. Honestly I have not had a single issue under my ownership. This little car has impressed me.

Other stuff is minor except for my armrest breaking and the fact that my taillight is starting to gather some water. My 2008 xb was in the shop too often for some fairly major things(motor rebuild due to oil consumption/ water pump/ coils(x2)/ major A-pillar creak).

However, Toyota fixed the issues and even gave me a loaner. My xb also had an intake, exhaust, and header and no questions were asked and they took care of it. Fiat, I can't get the little stuff fixed so the major stuff would concern me... but it's been reliable and I am going to try to find another dealer to see if it gets better.

Ackbound
06-12-2014, 10:59 PM
Just traded in my April 2013-built Abarth (purchased in August 2013) with 46000 miles--one dome light bulb (right after delivery), one headlight bulb (@ about 25K) and one (front right) wheel bearing @ about 40K were it for "unscheduled" maintenance. Certainly on par with (if not better than) 20+ BMWs over the last 25 years and LIGHT YEARS ahead of my 3 Minis which have had numerous problems. In short: an impressive reliability record and encouraging enough for me to just pick up another Abarth (2013 built in August) that's happily motoring along @ 5000 miles in 4 weeks with ZERO issues thus far.

Tweak
06-13-2014, 12:03 AM
Just traded in my April 2013-built Abarth (purchased in August 2013) with 46000 miles--one dome light bulb (right after delivery), one headlight bulb (@ about 25K) and one (front right) wheel bearing @ about 40K were it for "unscheduled" maintenance. Certainly on par with (if not better than) 20+ BMWs over the last 25 years and LIGHT YEARS ahead of my 3 Minis which have had numerous problems. In short: an impressive reliability record and encouraging enough for me to just pick up another Abarth (2013 built in August) that's happily motoring along @ 5000 miles in 4 weeks with ZERO issues thus far.

I wish I could trade my Abarth in for an Abarth...would love to go from the '13 to the '15 for the digital gauges and seat/armrest changes more than anything else.

Purgatory
06-13-2014, 12:09 AM
Just hit the 1,000 mile mark on my new 2014 Abarth. Zero issues. No complaints. Just keeps getting better and better.

wachuko
06-17-2014, 09:37 AM
I have not had any issues with mine. Three oil changes... about to do front rotors and pads (16K miles)... that is it. It has been a fun little car. Bought it for my daughter and for the life of me, can't understand this new generation. She is in no rush to get her drivers permit (she is 16 now)... I wish I would have known that... I would have bought the Grigio instead of the Rosso (she selected all the options, color, etc. at the time). Anyhow, besides the recalls mentioned, ownership has been without incidents.

I wish I could trade my Abarth in for an Abarth...would love to go from the '13 to the '15 for the digital gauges and seat/armrest changes more than anything else.

Wait what? I need to look for the changes for 2015... search is on...

Edit: http://www.fiat500usa.com/2014/04/2015-fiat-500-model-changes.html

Tweak
06-17-2014, 05:06 PM
I have not had any issues with mine. Three oil changes... about to do front rotors and pads (16K miles)... that is it. It has been a fun little car. Bought it for my daughter and for the life of me, can't understand this new generation. She is in no rush to get her drivers permit (she is 16 now)... I wish I would have known that... I would have bought the Grigio instead of the Rosso (she selected all the options, color, etc. at the time). Anyhow, besides the recalls mentioned, ownership has been without incidents.

Wait what? I need to look for the changes for 2015... search is on...

Edit: http://www.fiat500usa.com/2014/04/2015-fiat-500-model-changes.html

Some changes happened in 2014 but the gauges in the 2015 I really like!

Cenzo
08-26-2014, 04:23 PM
Kind of late now... but I took delivery of my 2013 Abarth 12/21/12. I have had numerous issues and currently in lawsuit with FIAT. Turbo replaced as well as rocker panel repair, headliner replacement, paint peeling above windshield, instrument cluster replaced, you name it its been replaced....thing that gets me is that the original issue of the Code P0299 - Turbo not boosting above 6 PSI is still present after half the car has been replaced..... Now that it is 2015 I would hope the bugs are worked out... Love the Brand, hate the manufacturer's customer service.

Tweak
08-27-2014, 12:39 AM
Kind of late now... but I took delivery of my 2013 Abarth 12/21/12. I have had numerous issues and currently in lawsuit with FIAT. Turbo replaced as well as rocker panel repair, headliner replacement, paint peeling above windshield, instrument cluster replaced, you name it its been replaced....thing that gets me is that the original issue of the Code P0299 - Turbo not boosting above 6 PSI is still present after half the car has been replaced..... Now that it is 2015 I would hope the bugs are worked out... Love the Brand, hate the manufacturer's customer service.

Wow, good luck with everything and hope you enjoy the forum.

Abnormalradio13
08-27-2014, 11:23 AM
Sounds like the issue I had when I had the dart. Only time I see it go into limp mode is when I'm in a high gear and try to floor it from 1k rpm(not good). Other then that 26k miles and still running strong.

ophidia31
08-27-2014, 12:58 PM
Sounds like the issue I had when I had the dart. Only time I see it go into limp mode is when I'm in a high gear and try to floor it from 1k rpm(not good).

Why would you do that? :crazy: Thats just asking for trouble on a FI car.

trophycub84
09-02-2014, 01:12 PM
Late to this party...
I have 14,000 miles on mine, and it has been in the shop for over two weeks now.
Oil consumption, grinding transmission (when put into reverse), various electrical problems (including gauges failing/blurring), and the sunroof motor needing replaced are what sent it in this time. I am going to try to use the Lemon Law, and hope that the dealership/manufacturer buys it back from me so I can go back to a Toyota. This car has been problematic and disappointing since the start. Less power and worse highway mileage than my Scion tC, the Beats Audio pales in comparison to the Alpine that came with the Scion tC, it has had the power window motor replaced (at the first service), and it COST MORE than the tC. It is a dreadful little car, and I think it should get back on the boat back to Italy (which I realize it never came from, but it is a good place for it to go).

junnyquest
09-02-2014, 07:25 PM
Late to this party...
I have 14,000 miles on mine, and it has been in the shop for over two weeks now.
Oil consumption, grinding transmission (when put into reverse), various electrical problems (including gauges failing/blurring), and the sunroof motor needing replaced are what sent it in this time. I am going to try to use the Lemon Law, and hope that the dealership/manufacturer buys it back from me so I can go back to a Toyota. This car has been problematic and disappointing since the start. Less power and worse highway mileage than my Scion tC, the Beats Audio pales in comparison to the Alpine that came with the Scion tC, it has had the power window motor replaced (at the first service), and it COST MORE than the tC. It is a dreadful little car, and I think it should get back on the boat back to Italy (which I realize it never came from, but it is a good place for it to go).

Huh. Blurry and failed gauges... That's a new one. Got any pictures of this FIAT you own?

Tweak
09-02-2014, 08:00 PM
Late to this party...

Huh. Blurry and failed gauges... That's a new one. Got any pictures of this FIAT you own?

Like junny I'd like to see this, first I have ever read of this on 3 forums I frequent daily. I think by the way the car is an Alpine system with the Beats label...seems I recall this is the case.

doverosx
09-10-2014, 03:41 PM
Late to this party...

Oh you again. You must be a troll.

The Beats audio is ALPINE hardware and BEATS DSP.

wilbmeister
09-11-2014, 07:22 PM
I have 29K on my 2013 Abarth. I had an issue with the side skirts (fixed under warranty) and the rear washer nozzle leaking in hot weather (Fix is now available and part came in today). I make sure the oil is changed regularly. I have been through a set of original tires and have new ones (Coopers) for spring to fall use. I really like this car. Mods so far include a short shifter, Go Pedal, rear sway bar, wheels, BMC filter and a few other small things. Going to install an ECU next week. I am finding the reliability of this car to be great. (Knock on wood.)

Abarth619
09-11-2014, 07:36 PM
I just came home from beating the crap out of it at Thompson Speedway in CT. The car performed flawlessly and was a blast to drive. 14327

boostaddict
09-13-2014, 05:05 AM
Very nice!!!!

Did they let you drive it by yourself?

I want to drive that track on my days off

Abarth619
09-13-2014, 07:07 AM
Very nice!!!!

Did they let you drive it by yourself?

I want to drive that track on my days off

No they didn't let me drive by myself, but the instructor was great and very familiar with the track which led me to learn a lot about my car as well. Next time I go they might move me up to intermediate which you go by yourself for the majority of the day. Overall a great time though, I learned a lot and the best part was my instructor owns a Abarth for his DD lol! Im going to make a post sometime this weekend with pics and video.

13abarthcanada
01-31-2015, 03:40 AM
An older thread I know but just wanted to share my unhappy experiences with you all. In 1.5 years I've had my abarth in the dealer 10-12 times,so far it's had

Bluetooth module (3 times)
Paint rubbing on door(never fixed)
Struts 2 times (noisy)
Pcv valve plugged up and it blew engine oil out all over the car while I was on the highway(left me stranded)
Tires badly worn at 9000 km (dealer refused to even help me with an alignment)
Car running rough and stalling(pcm update)
Rattle in dash ( said couldn't hear it)
New Tom tom unit
Hard to get into 1st and reverse (adjusted linkage- no improvement)
Transmission leak(washed it off and kicked it out)
Coolant leak at reservoir
Blower motor replaced(needs another one again)
And have to now take it in because the passenger seat is loose at the seat back.

I have tried so many times to get some service out of the dealer up here in Canada but they rarely do anything for me or even fix the problem I'm having. This has to be the worst car I have ever owned, it's disappointing because the car is a lot of fun but it's just tiring taking in a brand new car every few weeks for some other problem, I have tried to trade the car in to several other manufacturers but they say the car has depreciated 50% already and I just can't afford to eat almost 15000 dollars. I didn't buy a mini because I thought it would be too expensive , well looks like il be far worse off with this car having to fix it all the time once it's off warranty. I have appealed to fiat Canada and the dealer and they always pin it on each other. I pushed hard for them to buy the car back off me but they say they don't support a buyback program! Why would they if there having this much trouble with them... We have no lemon laws up here in Alberta and I have no leg to stand on. I have been a tech for almost ten years and know that no car is perfect but this is rediculous.

13abarthcanada.

Timetrapper
01-31-2015, 05:11 AM
An older thread I know but just wanted to share my unhappy experiences with you all. In 1.5 years I've had my abarth in the dealer 10-12 times,so far it's had

Bluetooth module (3 times)
Paint rubbing on door(never fixed)
Struts 2 times (noisy)
Pcv valve plugged up and it blew engine oil out all over the car while I was on the highway(left me stranded)
Tires badly worn at 9000 km (dealer refused to even help me with an alignment)
Car running rough and stalling(pcm update)
Rattle in dash ( said couldn't hear it)
New Tom tom unit
Hard to get into 1st and reverse (adjusted linkage- no improvement)
Transmission leak(washed it off and kicked it out)
Coolant leak at reservoir
Blower motor replaced(needs another one again)
And have to now take it in because the passenger seat is loose at the seat back.

I have tried so many times to get some service out of the dealer up here in Canada but they rarely do anything for me or even fix the problem I'm having. This has to be the worst car I have ever owned, it's disappointing because the car is a lot of fun but it's just tiring taking in a brand new car every few weeks for some other problem, I have tried to trade the car in to several other manufacturers but they say the car has depreciated 50% already and I just can't afford to eat almost 15000 dollars. I didn't buy a mini because I thought it would be too expensive , well looks like il be far worse off with this car having to fix it all the time once it's off warranty. I have appealed to fiat Canada and the dealer and they always pin it on each other. I pushed hard for them to buy the car back off me but they say they don't support a buyback program! Why would they if there having this much trouble with them... We have no lemon laws up here in Alberta and I have no leg to stand on. I have been a tech for almost ten years and know that no car is perfect but this is rediculous.

13abarthcanada.

yep Fiat seems to shoot out brand new Lemons sometimes. As I've stated in the past, I've been reading these forums and run across threads where people complain about Lemons with similar cases like you are having. And it really really sucks you had this issue. It sucks that a corporation spit out this lemon and sold it to you. My advice is try to trade it in, or something, take the loss and get a Japanese car. Italian cars have high performance and great style, but quality, safety etc aren't their strong points. so just cut your losses and run unless you really want to keep your Abarth for 20 years. But you have gotten Lemon and YES it has happened to others. so get out while you can. I think if you didnt' get a Lemon you wuld probably be really happy as yo uwouldnt have 95% of the issues you have now, but you got a bad deal, so just trade it in and get out bro. seriously. im really sorry you had this crap experience. no other way to explain it.