PDA

View Full Version : 17 inch tires

GileraWarren
10-20-2012, 01:27 PM
My car came with 16 in. wheels and when I got my 17 in wheels I went for Nitto Neo Gen 205/40/17 on the recommendation of some other people. The first 1000 miles or so they didn't seem too bad. I ran the track day at VIR for the FLU meet in August and it seemed in some of those tighter turns like I was waiting forever for them to hook up. Now with 4000 miles on them they are just flat scary in the wet. I don't recommend them at all. There isn't a lot of choices out there for our size tires. I'm hoping that changes in the near future. I'd love to have some Michelin PS2's or 3's. In the mean time if anybody finds anything that works really well, particularly in the wet, let me know because I'm about ready to ditch these.

Jjm4life
10-20-2012, 01:40 PM
Toyo r888 come in that size (I think). Won't last all that long but I've had great luck with them. I stayed with 16s. Going to get toyo r1r for the spring. Loved them on my lotus(loti)

jguerdat
10-20-2012, 05:59 PM
Check out the 215/40-17 sizes - that adds to your options. For summer tires, you best choices would be the Yoko AD08 and Dunlop Star Specs in the 215 size which keep the stock diameter. Those will stand up to track/autocross use while the Toyo R888 is a track tire that can be used on the street although tread life and wet weather can be issues.

Pinecone
10-21-2012, 01:27 AM
The Dunlop Direzza 215/40-17 is exactly the same outside diameter at the stock 17" Pirelli P Zero Nero tires.

A few tenths of a inch difference in tire size is fine, I get concerned at a 1/2" or more.

In the Michelin line, the Pilot Super Sports are getting good feedback and are a LOT cheaper than PS2. I will probably be putting those on my E46 M3 in the spring.

jguerdat
10-21-2012, 08:13 AM
In the Michelin line, the Pilot Super Sports are getting good feedback and are a LOT cheaper than PS2. I will probably be putting those on my E46 M3 in the spring.

Unfortunately, Michelin only has what Tirerack considers to be "Max Performance" tires instead of the Extreme Performance Dunlops and Yokos. And Michelin doesn't have one that keeps the stock diameter for the Abarth...

Pinecone
10-22-2012, 11:57 AM
The question is, what do you want and NEED. :)

But yes, the Pilot Sports are not in our size. At least not yet.

And watch some of those Extreme Performanace tires, they cannot be allowed to ever be exposed to lower than 15 degrees, or the rubber will be degraded irreversibly.

Abarthman
10-22-2012, 12:46 PM
My car came with 16 in. wheels and when I got my 17 in wheels I went for Nitto Neo Gen 205/40/17 on the recommendation of some other people. The first 1000 miles or so they didn't seem too bad. I ran the track day at VIR for the FLU meet in August and it seemed in some of those tighter turns like I was waiting forever for them to hook up. Now with 4000 miles on them they are just flat scary in the wet. I don't recommend them at all. There isn't a lot of choices out there for our size tires. I'm hoping that changes in the near future. I'd love to have some Michelin PS2's or 3's. In the mean time if anybody finds anything that works really well, particularly in the wet, let me know because I'm about ready to ditch these.

I work in the research department for a certain VERY well-know tire manufacturer.:friendly_wink:
Not sure what you have in mind, but I can tell you that while the Michelin Pilot Super Sport is not available in our size (NOTE: the Pilot SS just WON the Car & Driver high performance tire comparison a couple of months ago), the BFG Comp 2 IS AVAILABLE in our size, and is a very, VERY good high performance summer tire. Wet grip should be quite good too, and the tire wear will be superior to what you see in the Nitto.

GileraWarren
10-22-2012, 08:49 PM
I work in the research department for a certain VERY well-know tire manufacturer.:friendly_wink:
Not sure what you have in mind, but I can tell you that while the Michelin Pilot Super Sport is not available in our size (NOTE: the Pilot SS just WON the Car & Driver high performance tire comparison a couple of months ago), the BFG Comp 2 IS AVAILABLE in our size, and is a very, VERY good high performance summer tire. Wet grip should be quite good too, and the tire wear will be superior to what you see in the Nitto.

What I have in mind is the very best wet weather tire I can get. I don't need the best dry weather tire because for me to find the limits of those on the road would be putting my licence or somebody else in jeopardy.

jguerdat
10-23-2012, 06:37 AM
What I have in mind is the very best wet weather tire I can get. I don't need the best dry weather tire because for me to find the limits of those on the road would be putting my licence or somebody else in jeopardy.

The Continental ExtremeContact DWS seems to have the current edge in wet performance but 1) is an all-season tire and 2) is only available in our diameters for the 16" wheels (195/50-16 or 205/45-16 would be appropriate).

Pinecone
10-23-2012, 12:28 PM
Are the Conty DW available in our size? Several friends have them and are very happy. And these are serious autocrossers and racers.

EliRider
10-23-2012, 01:06 PM
Here is a list of 17" tire options from Tire Rack (both all season and performance)

Tire Rack 205/40/17 options for Fiat Abarth (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?tireIndex=1&autoMake=Fiat&autoYear=2012&autoModel=500+Abarth&autoModClar=&width=205/&ratio=40&diameter=17&sortCode=49300&skipOver=true&minSpeedRating=S&minLoadRating=XL&tab=All)

Attached is a comparision between BFG g-force Sport Comp-2 and our Pirelli P-Zero Nero (I found interesting). I'm leaning towards giving the BFG a try. Currious on other comments.

EliRider
10-23-2012, 01:29 PM
All I found on the Tire Rack Site is the ContiSportContact 3 but only as 215/40/17 (not the DW).

Edit update: The ContiSportContact 3 no longer shows up in this size on the Tire Rack site...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ContiSportContact+3&partnum=14YR7SPC3XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&wtpackage=true

It does not appear the DW comes in 205 or 215 40/17.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&cagpspn=pla&code=yes&partnum=055WR6ECDW&KEYWORD=tires.jsp_Continental_ExtremeContact_DW_Ti re&CAWELAID=712056577&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DW&GCID=C13674x012-tire

Are the Conty DW available in our size? Several friends have them and are very happy. And these are serious autocrossers and racers.

jguerdat
10-23-2012, 03:00 PM
Yup, once again we're stuck because of tire diameters. I wish a gearing/suspension change had been made to allow for a wider range of choices.

GileraWarren
10-23-2012, 07:19 PM
Here is a list of 17" tire options from Tire Rack (both all season and performance)

Tire Rack 205/40/17 options for Fiat Abarth (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?tireIndex=1&autoMake=Fiat&autoYear=2012&autoModel=500+Abarth&autoModClar=&width=205/&ratio=40&diameter=17&sortCode=49300&skipOver=true&minSpeedRating=S&minLoadRating=XL&tab=All)

Attached is a comparision between BFG g-force Sport Comp-2 and our Pirelli P-Zero Nero (I found interesting). I'm leaning towards giving the BFG a try. Currious on other comments.

I find it interesting that the 215/40/17 BFG is one pound lighter than the 205/40/17. Is there a wet weather comparison tire test that includes the BFG.

jguerdat
10-24-2012, 08:20 AM
View the tire and click on the Tests tab. Each test includes a wet handling section.

WMWFiat
10-24-2012, 10:11 PM
You've just found out the truth about the Nitto tires, they get good reviews but aren't very good. The Yoko's are a much better tire, and for a daily driver I've had great luck with the BFG G force sports, and the KDW's have great grip but are noisey.

Pinecone
10-24-2012, 11:58 PM
I have not run BFG tires for a number of years, but at one point every vehicle we owned had them.

Now run a mix, Yokohama, Michelin, Goodyear, Pirelli, Kumho.