PDA

View Full Version : Bug Splatter on paint

William M Jacocks Jr
10-20-2012, 06:54 AM
What is the best method to remove bug splatter on the paint. Using car soap with soft mittens doesn't do it and I don't want to hit it with a brush since they are abrasive. I want the paint to stay as shiny as possible for as long as I can keep it looking good. Basically washing and cleaning it out every weekend using car soap and detailing with armor all on the interior. I still need to find leather cleaner/protectant but I am more concerned about the bug splatter on the hood and grill.

Thanks!

SeaDawg
10-20-2012, 08:43 AM
You'll probably get some exotic answers, but personally I just use Turtle Wax or similar 'Bug and Tar Remover'. Dissolves the little critters and wipes the surface clean. If it's a Love Bug, it won't restore the finish if the Bug has been there too long and has eaten into the paint, but other than that it works well.

Felnus
10-20-2012, 08:53 AM
If it is fresh, a detailing spray and a microfiber cloth works well. Stubborn ones have caused me to break out the clay bar.

compns8
10-20-2012, 03:08 PM
If it is fresh, a detailing spray and a microfiber cloth works well. Stubborn ones have caused me to break out the clay bar.

I have been doing this as I pull into the garage after a drive (a bit anal I know), but it stays looking fantastic and makes it easy to get them off.

Mike S
10-20-2012, 04:05 PM
When I owned a detail shop we used Zep foaming window cleaner. We only used it for bugs, not windows. It contained ammonia which may be what worked so well on bugs. Let the chemical do the work and wipe, don't rub.

pastor passum
10-20-2012, 10:44 PM
I'm 66 years old, probably as anal as anyone about my car's finish but...I've never used chemicals or anything special to remove bug splatter from the paint. I wash the car with a good quality car wash, usually Ice, wetting the whole car first. I start at the top first and work down. The front, where the bugs are, is the last part I wash other than the grungy lower sections, wheel areas and rocker moldings but I keep the front wet until I wash it. Keeping the bugs wet is the secret. After a few minutes soaking they wash right off. However, I don't let bugs stay there long. If the front is covered with bugs I wash it before putting it up for the night. I've helped my buddy wash his car that doesn't get cleaned very often. It's more difficult to get them off after setting several weeks but still, letting them soak is the answer.
You mentioned using ArmorAll on the interior and then mentioned needing to use leather conditioner. I hope you're not using ArmorAll on leather. You'll do more harm than good. Leather is porous and needs to breath. ArmorAll and other vinyl protectors seal plastics and vinyl, a no no for leather. Hope this helps.

Pinecone
10-21-2012, 12:50 AM
I just wash. Soap the bug areas and let it sit for a while, then go back over with the mitt. They come right off.

00tlry
11-03-2012, 10:24 PM
Easiest way for me HOT soapy water and a little elbow

Berliner
11-04-2012, 05:12 AM
Personally i stay away from Amor All at all for the Interior...... it kills the Plastic over time. i prefer Meguiar,s Surpreme Shine for all the Plastic on the Interior. It works wonders for them Scratches on the Door Panels.

As far as the Leather Seats I go to a Leathershop and buy a small Tube of there finest Leather Cream. What is good for German Lederhosen to keep them soft and looking like new should be fine for Italian Seats...

As far as the Bug removal Invest in a good Detail. A good Shop will clay the Car wax it and make that Paint look like Glass. Not only will it help to remove the Bugs abit easier it also will help to protect the Paint.

Red Dwarf
11-04-2012, 09:39 AM
There are several options out there. The one I use with great success is from poorboysworld.com. You can also buy there products from autogeek.net
The two things I use are:
Poorboy's World APC
Poorboy's World Bug Squash
They have a new product I have not used buy want if for nothing else the name: Bird Sh#t Remover

If online purchase is not your thing then look locally for Meguiar's products or Mother's. Meguiar's Bug and Tar Remover

Good luck getting rid of those nasty bugs! Oh, and don't use dish washing soap to wash the car. Get a good soap made for car washing. Again, great choices on-line, but Meguiar's make a really good one available locally.

William M Jacocks Jr
11-04-2012, 10:32 AM
Thanks for your replies! I have tried (and it works!) to get rid of the bugs by doing this.

First when I set up the soap (Turtle Was Zip car wash and wax) I hose the entire car down, paying attention to the front bumper and bugs.
Then as I am washing the car, I start with the front bumper/hood paying attention to all the bug carcasses, do not rinse yet.
Wash and rinse entire car, as you do each section go back over the front area with soap still do not rinse.
Once you are finished washing and rinsing the rest of the car, go over the front area/hood again with soap and then rinse it.
No bugs or remains still on there and no need to "scrub" to get it off. I wash my car every weekend so some of the bug stuff could have been there for a few days.

This works very well for me.

cmj912
11-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Griot's also makes a bug remover (which I've used, it is pretty good) as well as a 'bug repellent' product that apparently makes it so the bugs don't stick as well when they get on there.

However, I have found that if you have kept the nose of the car sufficiently coated with a good couple of layers of wax and or sealant the bugs, once wetted as you wash the car, come right off.

geomac
02-19-2013, 07:13 AM
the best for deep marks from bugs even after you get them off is the clay bar

ItzBitz
02-19-2013, 09:04 AM
Try spraying on hydrogen peroxide before washing. It works on the proteins of the bug guts and they are easily removed form what ever surface they are on. I have used this for years on my cars and especially on the plastic windshield of the Goldwing motorcycle. I have not seen anything that worked better for less money.

Rapps
02-19-2013, 09:57 AM
I took a paint/finish care class at the Chrysler tech center, they agreed/recommend using window spray cleaner. Get home/out of the car hit the bugs up come back in a while wash them off.
Another suggestion from they sales staff at the Fiat studio: he keeps a bottle of water mixed with baking soda in the garage. He gets home shakes it up wipes/pours it on waits a while and then washes them off.
I have always washed the cars before doing anything else. I want to get the dirt off before the heat of the engin further cooks everything on.
The insides/guts of the bugs will damage the clear coat so your all correct to get them off quickly.

stevenvillatoro
02-23-2013, 02:17 AM
I've never had to remove a bug from my Abarth in 8,000 miles. Reason: I used Rejex (http://rejex.com/rejex.html) on my paint instead of wax, and bugs don't stick.

Corrnaus
02-23-2013, 03:04 AM
Here is a link to help learn to take bugs off safely and effectively

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51laWUM6k_4&list=PL96D52AF54166C886&index=3#t=13m14s

redred
02-23-2013, 06:24 PM
Haven't tried it, but apparently WD-40 works really well for removing bugs off of cars.