PDA

View Full Version : Paint too soft - 2 chips in the nose in 2 weeks!.

deathshead
10-13-2012, 09:14 PM
Is it the shape of the front end of the car? or is the paint just weak?

1st chip on the front of the hood,

2nd chip on the nose, left of the headlight.

I have been living on the same street for over 5 years, with 5 different vehicles.

a 91' Ford Festiva
a 07' Honda element (another Blunt nosed vehicle)
a Suzuki SX-4
a Plymouth minivan.
a Volvo 850 turbo wagon.
a 05 srt-4 acr lowered

All of these vehicles never had ANY stone chip issues, Come to think of it after owning 100+ cars in my lifetime I have never
seen paint chip like this.. Its almost as if the paint is not fully cured.

now with this car, (and 2 fresh coats of duragloss 105 no less.)

I'm averaging 1 chip every 1.5 weeks.

At this rate I'll be paying to have the hood and nose painted every 6 months, Clear bra is extremely expensive, but its too late not anyway.

I don't know what to think because im pretty pissed, but the paint quality-durability IS definitely suspect with these cars.

lenswerks
10-13-2012, 09:54 PM
Sorry to hear about this. The first chip is always painful.

The height of the front end and its angle to vertical has a lot to do with stone and rock survival.

I don't particularly like car bras but if I'm going to drive to work with this car on occasion I'll be getting one.

FL Greenway driving and the sand we have here will leave your bumper with thousands of sand grain size chips.
Driving on surface roads is not a problem, but beltway speeds and sand are a bad combination.
Oh and windshield rock chips are a common occurrence on my commute.

I just replaced the fog lights housings on my VW as they were so pitted they projected about a 1/4 of the light that the replacements are doing.

There is no dirt in FL it is all sand and of course road work never ends so lots of sand falling from dump trucks.

Donnie