PDA

View Full Version : Gas mileage concern!!!

JuanTopo
10-10-2012, 02:54 PM
I had this car for less than 2 weeks. Right now it has 550 miles and I already filled it up twice after having a 1/2 tank already. When I looked at the MPG's it says 23mpg avg. Basically if the car takes 10.5 gallons, since I bought it it has used 26.25 gallons for 550 miles that means its giving me 20mpg. I would like to know if this is normal or there might be an issue with mine. Mind you my car is completely stock.

Please give me your feedback.

Thank you,

Juan

msjulie33
10-10-2012, 02:55 PM
transmission type? driving type? weight of right foot?

10-10-2012, 03:04 PM
It will get better, new cars always use more gas at first. Expect about 30mpg BUT depends if youre new to stick, if you dont change up when you can, if you always floor it or stamp on brakes, all city stop go traffic and lastly dont use regular gas - yes it can take it but its a false economy as fuel use is actually higher as the car compensates for a lower octane gas!

jguerdat
10-10-2012, 03:49 PM
+1

My driving is mostly suburban with a good deal of highway speeds. Trips are 10 miles or less. I get between 24-28 MPG in typical usage. Use of high rpm and moderate to high boost will kill my mileage quickly. Short-shifting helps as does intelligent throttle use. Also, my wife generally gets noticeably better mileage in any car than I do...

Mike S
10-10-2012, 04:09 PM
Juan

What kind of Miami traffic? My mileage in Miami or Pompano Beach (30 - 32.4) is 2 mpg less than I get in Ft Lauderdale(34). Very little highway.

I don't use the A/C much, when I do it will reduce mpg by at least 2.

I also got lower gas mileage when it was new. I have a Sport with a 5 speed.

JuanTopo
10-10-2012, 06:04 PM
I have a Abarth 5 Speed, I bought it the 30th of Sept. I drive mostly local since I live in Aventura and work in Fiat of North Miami. I had many Manual vehicles before and I consider my self a decent/good driver. I trade it in a 2008 Honda Accord Automatic EX-L V6 3.5L that was giving me 20mpg, and I drive my Fiat the same way as I used to drive the Accord, and it doesn't fit in my mind that a 1.4T I-4 manual car is giving me the same gas mileage. I was hoping to get at least 25mpg beating on it but I don't. My question is, Is this normal?

luckymoi
10-10-2012, 10:20 PM
Car mileage will increase as miles pile up. I got 17 mpg on the freeway after driveing home from the dealer!
Use the tools fiat gives you to find out where the gas is going...
After many posts and many experiments.. don't waste your money on other than 87 octane Others with not agree with this point but I stand by it.
So the EVIC will show you instant mpg... it will show you the value of getting into top gear, it will show you the cost of acceleration only to be eaten by the brakes... try eco drive its fun and it will rate accel, gear shifts, braking across a time period of days and weeks.
My Fiat is giving 50% better mileage than the car it replaced, I am happy.
But I did not buy it just for the mileage.
My automatic cabrio lounge willl give 40 mpg on hiway only but around here with some hi way I get 31 my wife gets 28.5; she drives it like she did the old car, I do not. AC is always on.
I like to see instant mpg above 45!

Robert Nixon
10-10-2012, 10:31 PM
It's hard to figure out if your car has a problem, since as was mentioned we don't know what traffic you're driving in. The other variable is (and this is going to get real anal, but I'm just trying to understand the mileage issue)---- how much gas you've used, and whether or not you started with a half tank (was that 4, 5, 6, gallons?). You say you've filled up twice, so how does that work out exactly? It sounds like you assumed you filled it with 10.5 each time, but that is the capacity of the tank, so are you saying your ran it til it ran out twice? How much gas is in it now to determine the mpg for 550 miles of driving? When you say your car reads that it's averaging 23mpg, is that since you bought it or on the last tank, or when did you reset the mileage A or mileage B setting?

On my Abarth the low fuel light comes on and I fill it with about 9.2 gallons till the pump shuts off, so I'd have to guess that in two and a half fillups you've put 23.5 gallons in, plus or minus how much you have now. If you just filled up, then your mileage calculation will be different, but 550 divided by 23.5 is the 23 mpg you're quoting, but that would only be accurate if you are now on Empty.

jguerdat
10-11-2012, 09:03 AM
I have a Abarth 5 Speed, I bought it the 30th of Sept. I drive mostly local since I live in Aventura and work in Fiat of North Miami. I had many Manual vehicles before and I consider my self a decent/good driver. I trade it in a 2008 Honda Accord Automatic EX-L V6 3.5L that was giving me 20mpg, and I drive my Fiat the same way as I used to drive the Accord, and it doesn't fit in my mind that a 1.4T I-4 manual car is giving me the same gas mileage. I was hoping to get at least 25mpg beating on it but I don't. My question is, Is this normal?

I should point out that EVERY Abarth has a 5-speed. No autos here. ;)

Also, don't forget that although it's a 1.4l engine, the turbo changes everything. I think you need a lot more fill-ups to be able to get a good handle on usage.

Pinecone
10-11-2012, 01:13 PM
I was hoping to get at least 25mpg beating on it but I don't. My question is, Is this normal?

If you are getting on the car, you will get MUCH lower gas mileage. Go to Instantaneous Gas Mileage on the EVIC and see that when you get on it, the MPG goes down WELL into the single digits.

JuanTopo
10-11-2012, 07:44 PM
It's hard to figure out if your car has a problem, since as was mentioned we don't know what traffic you're driving in. The other variable is (and this is going to get real anal, but I'm just trying to understand the mileage issue)---- how much gas you've used, and whether or not you started with a half tank (was that 4, 5, 6, gallons?). You say you've filled up twice, so how does that work out exactly? It sounds like you assumed you filled it with 10.5 each time, but that is the capacity of the tank, so are you saying your ran it til it ran out twice? How much gas is in it now to determine the mpg for 550 miles of driving? When you say your car reads that it's averaging 23mpg, is that since you bought it or on the last tank, or when did you reset the mileage A or mileage B setting?

On my Abarth the low fuel light comes on and I fill it with about 9.2 gallons till the pump shuts off, so I'd have to guess that in two and a half fillups you've put 23.5 gallons in, plus or minus how much you have now. If you just filled up, then your mileage calculation will be different, but 550 divided by 23.5 is the 23 mpg you're quoting, but that would only be accurate if you are now on Empty.

You are right on many things, and one thing that im always used to doing is to reset my trip A, and every time before filling up I check the gas mileage and it always read 23mpg. I hope i see and increase on MPG's, which was one of the reasons I purchased this car. anyways thank you and ill keep everyone posted.

JuanTopo
10-11-2012, 07:47 PM
I should point out that EVERY Abarth has a 5-speed. No autos here. ;)

Also, don't forget that although it's a 1.4l engine, the turbo changes everything. I think you need a lot more fill-ups to be able to get a good handle on usage.

I know that but I wanted to be a little more specific being that someone made the question before. I know Turbo makes a difference and affects the consumption on gas, but I never though that it was going to be the same as my 08 accord which I always got on it when I drove it. Anyways I love the freaking car and I don't regret buying it at all.. Soon some light mods will come in and ill post pics up/.

jguerdat
10-12-2012, 07:45 AM
I actually get close to the same mpg as out Volvo C30 which is 700 lbs. heavier and a 2.5l turbo 5 cylinder. I get a bit better around town but only 2-3 mpg (probably about 26 mpg average vs. 22-24 on the Volvo). It's certainly not an economy car but that's not why I bought it. Like you, I love the car.

tcarretti
10-12-2012, 11:15 AM
I drive pretty "spirited" and now have 6100 miles on the car. Been averaging 27.6 mpg so far using an app on my iPhone. Considering the mods I've done, (TMC box, Eurocompulsion intake, Sprint Booster, KW coilovers) and considering that I always drive in Sports mode with the TMC unit set at 7 and the Sprint Booster set on red/race mode I couldn't be happier.

Now if someone could finally tune the ecu so it could be leaned out a little, it would get even better!

JuanTopo
10-22-2012, 12:36 PM
Ok, I am about to hit 1200 miles and I'm avg 23MPG, its getting a little better, but I'm expecting to get much better...

redred
10-22-2012, 05:00 PM
I had the exact same experience. Now I am at over 1,100 miles and with the fill up today I am now at 27.1 mpg (this is calculated, not based on the avg on the EVIC). I have a very heavy right foot and since breaking in the car I have been pushing a little more too (cause it's so much fun!). Also running the A/C still so I expect in the next few months when it starts to cool off I will be able to turn it off.

So far very pleased with the gas mileage given how hard I've been driving the car.

redred
10-22-2012, 05:01 PM
Ok, I am about to hit 1200 miles and I'm avg 23MPG, its getting a little better, but I'm expecting to get much better...

Is that figure based on what the EVIC is telling you? Or are you calculating your MPG with each fill up?

fltrplntman
10-22-2012, 08:36 PM
Its a turbocharged car. High compression under boost. You NEED Premium fuel. If your engine senses pinging or knock.. it retards the ignition til it stops. This will hurt your mileage.
When you do an oil change next, use a good synthetic oil (I use Castrol Syntec). This helps fuel mileage also. But the biggest adjustment is to lay off the loud pedal. When that turbo spools up.. your fuel mixture richens up. The more air in, the more fuel burns. alas.. killing mileage.
Don't worry.. After its all broke-in, you find its happy place. Jeckyl or Hyde mode.. You'll find it. LOL

zero
10-22-2012, 10:28 PM
Here is my mileage I got. (https://www.fuelly.com/driver/zero6699/500) But I drive like a granny/down shift when I can/drive like I have no brakes. I love getting good gas mileage, I got 40 mpg in my toyota yaris.

pastor passum
10-22-2012, 11:37 PM
What happened on that 6.6 mpg tank?

Berliner
10-23-2012, 06:10 AM
Juan give it 3k on the Fiat the Mpg will improve. Automatic or 5 Speed. You might not get Miles on the Sticker but you will have plenty of Smiles on your Face at the Pump and on the Road.

Now go out and drive that 500!!!!!

jguerdat
10-23-2012, 06:46 AM
Its a turbocharged car. High compression under boost. You NEED Premium fuel. If your engine senses pinging or knock.. it retards the ignition til it stops. This will hurt your mileage.

Did I miss something? Yes, never try to get "economy" using lesser octane fuels - it only helps on the first tank. After having the Volvo dealer suggest medium octane (89-ish) for our C30, it ran some quick calculations. If you got only a 2 MPG loss with the lower octane, you'd still be spending more overall for gas compared to just using premium. As a test, I asked my son, who has an '05 Volvo V40 to try the test since he was doing 3 hour trips regularly at the time. He reported a 5 MPG loss and immediately went back to premium.

Pinecone
10-23-2012, 12:38 PM
1) Put the EVIC into Instaneous MPG and see what YOU are doing.

2) Watch the boost gauge. Anytime you get above 6, the MPG drops WAY down.

99% of gas mileage is how you drive.

Did you ever see the Top Gear where they did a MPG comparo of a Prius and BMW M3 on their test track. The BMW won by almost 1 MPG. :)

Prius was driven as fast as it could, the M3 only had to stay behind the Prius.

zero
10-23-2012, 05:01 PM
What happened on that 6.6 mpg tank?
Well I was about out of gas and there was not a texaco/chevron in next 50 miles so I put 2 gallons in to get me to the next station. the app on my android for tracking my fuel up does not show anything because it was a parcel tank. Fuelly is doing something strange to figure the mpg even if you put partial fuel up.

Jjm4life
10-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Finally looked at the average mpg today. 22.5 haha

wachuko
11-07-2012, 01:58 PM
My wife gets 34+ mpg from the Abarth... I can't get more than 24mpg... There is something wrong with the car... for sure... lol...

sashkraft
11-10-2012, 02:25 PM
I am still on the first tank and driving carefully for the brake-in time, and so far EVIC shows 36 MPG... sound good to me...

Prima 109
11-11-2012, 01:13 PM
It's how you are driving it. I average 30-34 mpg per tank. Lay off the throttle for a while and see if your mpg's improve. Just sayin.