PDA

View Full Version : BREAKIN NEWS about the 500T and the L.A. Auto Show.

VTEC Mini
10-07-2012, 04:57 PM
Yesterday, I went to the O.C. International Auto Show. It is about 1/4 the size of the L.A. but is still a good show and I got in good and had a good conversation with the head Fiat rep named Eric. He told me that the 500T will be available with the auto transmission. He all so said that the 500L and the 500E will be at the L.A. Show but wasn't sure yet about the 500T.

With every show I always have my surprises, upsets, and good experiences. Out of all the cars I test drove and sat in these are the ones that stand out in my mind the most;

1. The Nissan Juke. Even though this car is fricken butt ugly itís interior is actually very nice, roomy and comfortable.

2. Chevy Spark. This is one I got to drive. Cheap interior plastics and (which are better than the Veloster- more on that latter) low end fabrics make up the interior. The digital display off to the side of the speedo is small, cramped full of information and is hard to read at a glance. However, this is would be a great car for teenager, first time buyer. For the price of a decent used car you can get a bran new one with a warranty and all. The power is limited which equals limited potential for trouble and if Red Bulls or McDonald's spills in the interior the loss is not that great. It drives decent and has lots of room for its size. I would not have issues about getting one for my kids.

3. Turbo Veloster. What a joke.... I expected more out of a "performance" car. The interior plastics are piss poor. On the inside door handle where the handle comes together the seam is ruff and uneven. I would hate feeling that every time I closed the door. On the back rear bumper cover at each corner is a red round reflector. It is about 4" in diameter and looks like something off the back of a John Deer tractor or something at the end of a fiberglass pole used to mark the end a driveway at night. Very cheap and cheesy.

4. Dodge Dart. I got to test drive one with the Abarth motor. Maybe because it was hooked to an automatic transmission and is in a heavier car but I found the power delivery disappointing. I all so didn't like the cheap, triangle grills that covered the speakers. On the plus side, the touch screen is big and easy to learn quickly and use (I wish this was in the Fiat). If you not after Abarth performance it is a good driving car.

5. Scion FR-S. THIS CAR IS AWESOME! I got to sit and drive this car. You get in and the car hugs you and it is very comfortable and you feel secure. I don't like how the RPM gauge dominates the instrument pod with the small, half speedo to the side. Driving this car it is planted and well balanced. If the rumor holds true to a turbo version in 2014, everything else in this price range better watch out. I would defiantly go after this car if I was single, had no kids, and younger ( I had to grunt to get out of the car). The rear seat is where it does not match the quality of the rest of the car. It looks like nothing more than a couple of crudely shaped foam blocks covered in fabric. They are narrow and access is only accomplished if your no bigger than a garden gnome. It has been a long, long, time since a car this fun, this performance minded and feel was available at this at this price.

Something else I noticed is the ever increasing number of hybrids, EV, and extended range vehicles every show I go to. Those where all so the most popular with B and C segment cars second and A segment third on the test drives and trucks and SUVs pretty much stayed parked. On the show floor B and C ruled, green energy and A segments followed by trucks and SUV's.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8320/8063258865_b0b278e705.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8310/8063259641_79694e12a4.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8042/8063256998_d8f601d25f.jpg

ScorpionSkins.com
10-07-2012, 05:21 PM
4. Dodge Dart. I got to test drive one with the Abarth motor. Maybe because it was hooked to an automatic transmission and is in a heavier car but I found the power delivery disappointing.

Regrettably, I'd have to agree. I had two months of driving time with the Alfa Romeo Giulietta last time I was in Italy, and the two cars feel nothing alike. I feel like they took all the wonderful (exciting) elements of the Giulietta and brought us a car that, despite being well put together, has none of the same aggressive character elements.

Luckily, we have the Abarth available to us to enjoy that experience instead. :)

panther76
10-07-2012, 06:45 PM
Regrettably, I'd have to agree. I had two months of driving time with the Alfa Romeo Giulietta last time I was in Italy, and the two cars feel nothing alike. I feel like they took all the wonderful (exciting) elements of the Giulietta and brought us a car that, despite being well put together, has none of the same aggressive character elements.

Luckily, we have the Abarth available to us to enjoy that experience instead. :)

curb weight must have at least a little bit do with that. the Giulietta comes in at 2888 lbs and the Dart at 3242...300+ lbs difference. too bad they couldnt have just brought the Giulietta here as is and just changed the name to Dart. the G's interior is just really clean, classy and symmetrical.

Jeepnut
10-07-2012, 07:44 PM
I'm really hoping that they show a sportier version of the Cabrio at LA. I really dig the 500C but I would love to have one that's more aggressive in both looks and performance. I think a 500T Cabrio would hit my sweet spot nicely.

panther76
10-07-2012, 08:18 PM
I'm really hoping that they show a sportier version of the Cabrio at LA. I really dig the 500C but I would love to have one that's more aggressive in both looks and performance. I think a 500T Cabrio would hit my sweet spot nicely.

are there rumors of this or are you just hoping? i agree it would fit with the 500T better. i see the regular 500C's as a more laid back kind of experience.

Robert Nixon
10-07-2012, 08:51 PM
Thanks for report, was this one of the shows sponsored by Motor Trend magazine? The one I went to here in SC in January included a free year's subscription to their magazine. Had a good time, and got to do some test drives like the Fiat 500.

Jeepnut
10-08-2012, 04:39 PM
are there rumors of this or are you just hoping? i agree it would fit with the 500T better. i see the regular 500C's as a more laid back kind of experience.
There is no rumor of a 500T Cabrio that I know of. There is supposedly an Abarth Cabrio coming. But I'm hoping they do come out with a 500T cabrio

VTEC Mini
10-08-2012, 06:42 PM
There is no rumor of a 500T Cabrio that I know of. There is supposedly an Abarth Cabrio coming. But I'm hoping they do come out with a 500T cabrio

The Abarth Cabrio is coming. That was another tid bit told to me. I think the most news worthy item is the auto trans for the "T".

Mike S
10-08-2012, 07:31 PM
To me, Abarth Cabrio is as important as a T Cabrio. Turning circle AND interiors AND exterior colors. I want choices that don't exist yet.

Thanks.

panther76
10-08-2012, 08:06 PM
To me, Abarth Cabrio is as important as a T Cabrio. Turning circle AND interiors AND exterior colors. I want choices that don't exist yet.

Thanks.

as usual, i will believe they are coming when i see them. weve had emough erroneous reports from supposed "inside fiat" people before.

Jeepnut
10-09-2012, 07:14 PM

Thanks.
I'm right there with you on the choices issue