PDA

View Full Version : having trouble putting it into 1st gear

scorpion_king
10-01-2012, 10:49 PM
having trouble putting it into 1st gear..... it just doesn't want to go into gear.... i have to keep trying or put it into 2nd than go to 1st. When warms up its ok

Abarth Five O
10-01-2012, 11:18 PM
having trouble putting it into 1st gear..... it just doesn't want to go into gear.... i have to keep trying or put it into 2nd than go to 1st. When warms up its ok
Occassionally I have difficulty getting it into reverse during start up, but it's not a concern yet. You should have your dealer check yours out.

scorpion_king
10-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Occassionally I have difficulty getting it into reverse during start up, but it's not a concern yet. You should have your dealer check yours out.

I took it in this morning n was told it was fine and could not replicate

jguerdat
10-02-2012, 08:25 AM

Only 1st gear? What about reverse? Just wondering if the clutch is misadjusted.

exigejoe
10-02-2012, 11:01 AM
I rem when my wifey test drove it and put it in reverse it really didnt want to fully go in. Eventually it went in and after it warmed up had no probs. Maybe a short shifter kit can remedy the problem.

cinquecento
12-12-2012, 12:40 AM
I am also having problems with putting the car into first gear when cold. I took it to the dealer and they said it was normal. Is there anyone else having this problem?

Mr. Man
12-12-2012, 02:46 AM
My issue is that the car will be really squeaky in reverse when cold.

jguerdat
12-12-2012, 08:57 AM
Depends on your definition of cold but temps in the 20s (F) haven't produced any clunkiness or hard shifting for me...

Robert Nixon
12-12-2012, 11:44 AM
I have no problems shifting when cold.

When the dealer says they couldn't replicate it, was this after you drove it there (and the car was warm), or did you park it there overnight so they could check it cold in the morning?

Thomas
12-12-2012, 08:27 PM
Have not encountered this yet in a somewhat northern climate.....but I used to come across this quite a bit with other cars. When you fire her up and while she is warming up, work through the H pattern a few times. It helps. When it has been -20c here or colder, I have had to really work the gears around to get her going.

Pinecone
12-13-2012, 09:57 AM
I start it up, then let out the clutch while I put on my seatbelt and turn on lights, seat heater, set temp, change radio.

The time with the gear set turning puts some heat into the tranny. All, with things moving a bit, it is easier to select a gear, as there is no way for the engagement teeth to be aligned to interfere.

cinquecento
12-13-2012, 12:12 PM
I did not leave the car over night at the dealership. Although I suggested it to the dealer, but they thought I was a little crazy. I live in Los Angeles, so the cold is not extreme...but my car does stay outside. I tried to move the gears through the H pattern this morning, it helped a little. When it is warmer at night, the problem was less, and as soon as the car is driven for more than a 2-3 miles the problem goes away.

BigDaddySRT
12-14-2012, 01:12 PM
I start it up, then let out the clutch while I put on my seatbelt and turn on lights, seat heater, set temp, change radio.

The time with the gear set turning puts some heat into the tranny. All, with things moving a bit, it is easier to select a gear, as there is no way for the engagement teeth to be aligned to interfere.

With the Clutch Disengaged in Neutral... there isn't any heat building in the internals of the Transmission.

ukeluthier
12-14-2012, 02:03 PM
With the Clutch Disengaged in Neutral... there isn't any heat building in the internals of the Transmission.

Sure there is. There is at least one shaft with gears on it turning in the oil... that generates heat.

Pinecone
12-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Actually one shaft and ALL the forward gears turning in the oil. That produces heat. Both the motion and the shearing of the gear lube.

cinquecento
12-14-2012, 09:56 PM
I have warmed the car before moving for 5-10 minutes, leaving the car in neutral. This made no difference. I have tried running through the gears as the car is warming. This helped slightly. As I come to a stop when the car is first driven in the morning for the first 2 miles, moving from the last gear used into neutral and into first gear, first gear seems to be blocked. If I come to a stop and move into neutral, then move into 2nd or 3rd, then first goes in easily. After the car is driven for 3-4 miles then 1st gear goes in easily. Very Odd....

Fiat500USA
12-15-2012, 01:22 AM
With the clutch disengaged the input shaft isn't turning. With it engaged or let out, the shaft and gears are.

http://youtu.be/uxcNjtG8I_s

Pinecone
12-15-2012, 06:36 AM

You didn't read what I said.

I said to let the clutch once started. That means clutch is ENGAGED.

Pinecone
12-15-2012, 06:37 AM
I have warmed the car before moving for 5-10 minutes, leaving the car in neutral. This made no difference. I have tried running through the gears as the car is warming. This helped slightly. As I come to a stop when the car is first driven in the morning for the first 2 miles, moving from the last gear used into neutral and into first gear, first gear seems to be blocked. If I come to a stop and move into neutral, then move into 2nd or 3rd, then first goes in easily. After the car is driven for 3-4 miles then 1st gear goes in easily. Very Odd....

Try letting the clutch out a bit as you select the gear.

When you select a gear you are bringing to toothed pieces together. If the teeth are lined up right, they run into each other, but having the tranny spinning a bit can help by making the teeth move and thus not be lined up to not go into gear.

cinquecento
12-15-2012, 12:34 PM
:nevreness:
Try letting the clutch out a bit as you select the gear.

When you select a gear you are bringing to toothed pieces together. If the teeth are lined up right, they run into each other, but having the tranny spinning a bit can help by making the teeth move and thus not be lined up to not go into gear.

Thank you. I will give that a try. But it still does not seem normal.

cerebrix
12-15-2012, 04:39 PM
get your fiat to the studio.

is it an abarth?

mine exhibited the same behavior from the day i bought it. then one day, bam, couldnt get it into first or second anymore.

ive been driving a loaner car almost a month now. new transmissions are on the way from italy for the abarth. should arrive on land mid to late december im told. one of them is mine.

im assuming ill be without my abarth until mid january.

but definitely take it in and get it looked at.

and take it to a studio that has loaner cars.

cinquecento
12-15-2012, 05:41 PM
Oooooohhhhh Noooooo!!!!!!

Yes it is an Abarth.... 2012. First one out of the dealer.

Crazy Otto
12-15-2012, 06:31 PM
Ive had shift probs and a new shift cable was installed. Car ran great for a few days now prob is coming back. Same issue as yours.

cinquecento
12-15-2012, 06:52 PM
It sounds like there are others with the same problem. My dealer did not want to believe me. Are there others who are having the same problem?

Pinecone
12-16-2012, 08:17 AM
Not saying there is no problem.

But I have had many cars where there seemed to be a problem, but it was just how it was being operated. So giving some things to try

I see others have had a similar problem, so it may very well be an issue.

fiat5004fun
12-16-2012, 09:07 AM
Hmmmm.... this thread has me a tad nervous. This will be the first winter season for the US Abarth. Fingers crossed for no cold weather related issues. fingersx

Wopstar
12-17-2012, 10:49 AM
I'm making a apt to take mine in having problems shifting from 1 to 2 and 2 to3
The odd time it doesn't like reverse and yes I always stop before putting it into gear
And the side skirt is coming off
That's the only two things so far

Pinecone
12-17-2012, 12:00 PM
For reverse, put it in 5th first to stop the gears from turning. I do this as a habit from long ago.

As for cold weather problems, it has been into the 20s here already and only one "problem." You can't blow warm air on the windshield and your feet at the same time. WIth the auto climate control, even in manual mode, you can only select one set of vents at a time. :(

No shifting problems even with the low temp mornings.

Wopstar
12-17-2012, 12:21 PM
I have a floor and Defrost button

Pinecone
12-17-2012, 04:51 PM
Try to turn them both on at the same time.

Crazy Otto
12-17-2012, 05:28 PM
This has got nothing to do with cold etc. My car was perfect then had the shift problem at 5000 miles. New shift cable put in and fixed the prob but now its back 2 weeks and 500 miles later. Car is going back to dealer tomorrow. Ill update findings here.

cerebrix
12-17-2012, 05:40 PM
just hang in there, they'll get you taken care of. just keep in mind, if you need a new transmission (or if fiat decides they want yours), know that theyre already on the way thanks to mine being the first one to die lol

Crazy Otto
12-17-2012, 07:24 PM
The imprecision in shifting almost feels like a lose or stretchy cable. Im very careful shifting 2 to 3 is slow and deliberate I dont want to damage syncros. This issue to totally taking all the fun out of the car.

Crazy Otto
12-22-2012, 05:07 PM
Picked up the car today. Dealer unable to replicate the issue. It shifts fine now.

I had an underhood smoke issue that I thought was oil leaking onto manifold but it was the o2 sensor wire burning up. Somehow it must have gotten lose and touched the mani. It was replaced.

Hope my shifting issue is gone for good. At a loss to explain dealers finding as the car was definitely acting up before I took it in.

cinquecento
12-22-2012, 07:51 PM
Picked up the car today. Dealer unable to replicate the issue. It shifts fine now.

I had an underhood smoke issue that I thought was oil leaking onto manifold but it was the o2 sensor wire burning up. Somehow it must have gotten lose and touched the mani. It was replaced.

Hope my shifting issue is gone for good. At a loss to explain dealers finding as the car was definitely acting up before I took it in.

Taking my car into the dealer next week and leaving it overnight. Although the shifting is getting more difficult. Even after the car has warmed up.

cinquecento
12-25-2012, 12:07 AM
get your fiat to the studio.

is it an abarth?

mine exhibited the same behavior from the day i bought it. then one day, bam, couldnt get it into first or second anymore.

ive been driving a loaner car almost a month now. new transmissions are on the way from italy for the abarth. should arrive on land mid to late december im told. one of them is mine.

im assuming ill be without my abarth until mid january.

but definitely take it in and get it looked at.

and take it to a studio that has loaner cars.

I took my car in and kept it overnight. The dealer agrees there is a problem. That is step one! Now they need to figure out the problem. What studio did you take yours too? The service manager said they would call the other dealers that have seen this problem. Thank you for any help!

Crazy Otto
12-27-2012, 08:18 AM
ok- my prob came back and its intermittent. i plan to take my car to executive fiat wallingford ct (call ask for Tom in service) so they can trouble shoot over an extended time. will do this as soon as i get snows on my winter beater (by this weekend hopefully).

cWade
12-27-2012, 04:04 PM
If you are having the problem going into first gear from a standstill try putting it into second then first. This worked like a charm on some early '70 Porsches I've had. They would be real balky going directly into first but if I selected second then first, no problem. Becomes habit after awhile.

fiat5004fun
12-28-2012, 10:26 AM
ok- my prob came back and its intermittent. i plan to take my car to executive fiat wallingford ct (call ask for Tom in service)... Greetings fellow Connecticut'er :smile: Sent you PM.

Crazy Otto
12-28-2012, 09:59 PM
Greetings fellow Connecticut'er :smile: Sent you PM.
Do it!

Crazy Otto
12-28-2012, 10:04 PM
If you are having the problem going into first gear from a standstill try putting it into second then first. This worked like a charm on some early '70 Porsches I've had. They would be real balky going directly into first but if I selected second then first, no problem. Becomes habit after awhile.
Jim dandy for archaic old porsches but its a problem when your car shifts beautifully for 5000 miles then starts acting up! It shouldn't be excused. More than one person has suggested "fixes" along the lines you have and it doesnt make sense. Something is wrong. Im getting pissed off. If the damn thing doesnt shift properly then why the hell am I driving it?

cinquecento
12-29-2012, 01:18 AM
Jim dandy for archaic old porsches but its a problem when your car shifts beautifully for 5000 miles then starts acting up! It shouldn't be excused. More than one person has suggested "fixes" along the lines you have and it doesnt make sense. Something is wrong. Im getting pissed off. If the damn thing doesnt shift properly then why the hell am I driving it?

I agree! I bought this car because it was fun driving. When it becomes dangerous to drive the fun is lost. I hope they fix mine soon because I did enjoy driving the car and I do miss it even if I have 7 other cars in the garage.

cinquecento
01-12-2013, 01:43 AM

Did you have your problem resolved? My car has been at the dealer for 3 weeks. They changed the shift cable, and transmission fluid. They said this was the order that fiat wanted but the problem is still there. The dealer is now waiting for a new transmission. Hopefully it will arrive next week.

Crazy Otto
01-13-2013, 12:27 AM
I dropped the car off last Saturday and was away all week for work. Told them the problem and invited them to drive it every day until it presents itself. A buddy of mine test drove my car and he couldn't get it into 1st on a number of occasions. Good news is it didn't dampen his enthusiasm he ended up buying one. I have my winter beater dont need the abarth. Will call dealer for update next weeek. Thanks for letting me know how you are making out!

Crazy Otto
01-17-2013, 07:23 PM
Chinkaquento you have PM! Thx.

cinquecento
01-17-2013, 09:45 PM
Chinkaquento you have PM! Thx.
Still waiting for the transmission. The dealer called me to let me know that it has not arrived yet. Any word on your car? I truly miss my car... I would like to get it back soon!

Crazy Otto
01-18-2013, 01:53 PM
Hey chincaquento - check your PRIVATE MESSAGES on this forum and please reply. it's upper left of this webpage right below where it says "Forum"

lol geeez

Crazy Otto
01-18-2013, 01:54 PM
goingfor a test drive with the fiat tech today.

cinquecento
01-18-2013, 10:13 PM
goingfor a test drive with the fiat tech today.

Just had a phone call from the dealer... finally my transmission came in and will be installed by Monday! Hopefully this takes care of the problem!

luckymoi
01-19-2013, 01:12 AM
goingfor a test drive with the fiat tech today.and...?

cinquecento
01-26-2013, 08:04 PM
I dropped the car off last Saturday and was away all week for work. Told them the problem and invited them to drive it every day until it presents itself. A buddy of mine test drove my car and he couldn't get it into 1st on a number of occasions. Good news is it didn't dampen his enthusiasm he ended up buying one. I have my winter beater dont need the abarth. Will call dealer for update next weeek. Thanks for letting me know how you are making out!

The dealer is finishing the car on Monday! I hope this takes care of the problem. Any word on what they will do for your car?

Crazy Otto
01-26-2013, 09:47 PM
The dealer is finishing the car on Monday! I hope this takes care of the problem. Any word on what they will do for your car?

I may have know that before you! Nice folks over there Brian was very helpful. My update- may have to get legal representation. The Fiat tech claims he has found nothing wrong on multiple drives, but when he sat with me he saw me have difficulty. The Chrysler tech got involved and also didnt find a problem. When I spoke to your dealer he described the exact same issue im having. My dealer was supposed to call over but didnt. He offered to take a look but of course im on the opposite coast. This is unbelievable to me. I dont even post anymore this has sucked all the joy out of owership. I will pick up my car next weekend and talk a bit more with my dealer.

cinquecento
01-26-2013, 09:59 PM
I may have know that before you! Nice folks over there Brian was very helpful. My update- may have to get legal representation. The Fiat tech claims he has found nothing wrong on multiple drives, but when he sat with me he saw me have difficulty. The Chrysler tech got involved and also didnt find a problem. When I spoke to your dealer he described the exact same issue im having. My dealer was supposed to call over but didnt. He offered to take a look but of course im on the opposite coast. This is unbelievable to me. I dont even post anymore this has sucked all the joy out of owership. I will pick up my car next weekend and talk a bit more with my dealer.
How many miles do you have on your car? My problem started around 4,000 miles. Is it possible to take it to another dealer? I noticed that there is a Fiat representative that reads this forum. Maybe he can respond and look into this issue? With my car, the issue became worse and worse. It was to the point that the car was unsafe to drive.

Crazy Otto
01-27-2013, 11:13 AM
How many miles do you have on your car? My problem started around 4,000 miles. Is it possible to take it to another dealer? I noticed that there is a Fiat representative that reads this forum. Maybe he can respond and look into this issue? With my car, the issue became worse and worse. It was to the point that the car was unsafe to drive.

Mine became noticeable at 4500. Good to know it gets worse maybe I have to just drive it until that point. As an aside I was made to understand that the fiat tech said "the car probably doesnt like me" WTF!? Not bragging but I can drive a manual better that 99.99% of the population. I hope Jonathan (fiat cares) sees this. Please post and let me know after a few days of driving if the problem is resolved. Thanks!

cinquecento
01-27-2013, 01:41 PM
Mine became noticeable at 4500. Good to know it gets worse maybe I have to just drive it until that point. As an aside I was made to understand that the fiat tech said "the car probably doesnt like me" WTF!? Not bragging but I can drive a manual better that 99.99% of the population. I hope Jonathan (fiat cares) sees this. Please post and let me know after a few days of driving if the problem is resolved. Thanks!

Clearly, with the cars that you drive and race you are not a novice with a manual gearbox! You know what a proper working gearbox feels like. It is ridiculous and very poor fiat - customer relation to have a fiat tech say what he said. I will let you know what happens after I pick up my car!

djhace
01-28-2013, 01:52 PM
oh, i don't like the sound of this thread. fiat really needs to step up and take care of it.

cinquecento
01-29-2013, 12:11 AM
Finally picked up my car today! Runs well and shifts well. Like new again! I hope this takes care of the problem. I forgot how much fun this car is to drive.

djhace
01-29-2013, 02:31 PM
Finally picked up my car today! Runs well and shifts well. Like new again! I hope this takes care of the problem. I forgot how much fun this car is to drive.

puh. congrats. :-)

davem
02-04-2013, 12:10 PM
Yes i drove Otto's Abarth, and indeed it seems not right. Just had my 12 Abarth delivered a few days ago and have driven a few hundred miles with no similar experience shifting.

Crazy Otto
02-04-2013, 10:39 PM
Hey Dave. Thanks for the affirmation. Dave drove my car at 300 or so miles and again at 5000 when he too had difficulty shifting. The dealer write up notes the problem happening initially then "unable to replicate". Im blue in the face trying to explain its an intermittent issue. Anyway I will go drive a brand new abarth and mine with the service manager this Saturday.

Big welcome for Davem, fellow ferrari owner and experienced track junkie with a fully prepared E36 M3.

So....I've had a hand in making 3 people buy abarths.....what does that count for Fiat???

cinquecento
02-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Hey Dave. Thanks for the affirmation. Dave drove my car at 300 or so miles and again at 5000 when he too had difficulty shifting. The dealer write up notes the problem happening initially then "unable to replicate". Im blue in the face trying to explain its an intermittent issue. Anyway I will go drive a brand new abarth and mine with the service manager this Saturday.

Big welcome for Davem, fellow ferrari owner and experienced track junkie with a fully prepared E36 M3.

So....I've had a hand in making 3 people buy abarths.....what does that count for Fiat???

How's the progress with your car? It is now 2 weeks since I have had the car back from the dealer. So far it has been good... Shifting is much better. Let's see if it holds up the next 4,000 miles! HOPE it will!

Crazy Otto
02-08-2013, 03:02 PM
I was supposed to got test drive a brand new abarth with the service mgr but we have a big storm happening now. Next week I suppose. Glad to hear you're back enjoying the car.

cinquecento
03-02-2013, 09:10 PM
I was supposed to got test drive a brand new abarth with the service mgr but we have a big storm happening now. Next week I suppose. Glad to hear you're back enjoying the car.

Any news with your car? It has been over a month and a few hundred miles since I have had my car returned. All is okay so far. I hope this solved my problem.

Crazy Otto
03-09-2013, 09:07 AM
We had that huge storm 38 inches of snow things were nuts for a bit. Car was buried for 1 week plus in a drift before I got it out. Plus more snow yesterday.....I hope to get to the dealer with next 2 weeks. About a month ago I picked up a fully opitioned ml 320 cdi diesel which I have been enjoying.

Crazy Otto
03-09-2013, 09:09 AM
I see theres another thread where someone had to have their tranny replaced.

Deefourtay
03-13-2013, 02:57 PM
Recently developed a similar issue in my car.. Except it has trouble getting into first with a slight grind getting into 2nd!

This is @ normal driving shifting around 2500-3000 RPM

jguerdat
03-15-2013, 09:15 AM
That almost sounds like the clutch isn't fully disengaging, allowing the trans to continue spinning. Make sure the clutch is adjusted properly.

Deefourtay
03-15-2013, 01:48 PM
Is it just me, but when my Tranny is cold and doesn't want to get into gear..

My technique is to slightly blip the throttle before shifting up & it goes in super smoothly (Only needs about a quick 1/10 Pedal Blip before shifting up)

Deefourtay
03-22-2013, 03:23 PM
The Short Shifter seemed to help me a little, however it's still slightly hard to get into gear when cold.. I noticed that mine has a hard time wanting to go in reverse in the morning unless I Engage 1st gear while releasing the clutch a little before I shift into reverse.

I rem when my wifey test drove it and put it in reverse it really didnt want to fully go in. Eventually it went in and after it warmed up had no probs. Maybe a short shifter kit can remedy the problem.

Faylara
03-28-2013, 10:19 PM
Hello,
I noticed that some people have had the same issue I have encountered. I bought my 2013 Abarth in Jan at around 4500 miles I started have gear linkage issues. Shifting was becoming difficult. All gears with 1st being the worse. I took it in this week to find out the slave cylinder has to be replaced. My car should be ready in 1 week I am told. Has anyone else has to have their slave cylinder replaced?

Crazy Otto
05-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Faylara how has your car been since the slave replacement? Please pm me your dealers tele number and service writer thanks. Im at my dealer right now trying to get to the bottom of mm y issue.

Abarth619
05-23-2013, 09:00 PM
I was having a issue with my FJ Cruiser shifting into first and the tranny was just very knotchy no matter what gear I was in. I switched to Redline synthetic manual transmission fluid and it feels like I have a new tranny. It was just my personal experience and I'm not sure if they even make a synthetic for the Abarth. Just a idea to those that have been to the dealer multiple times with no solution, may want to look into switching to a synthetic tranny fluid like Redline or Royal Purple.

BigDaddySRT
05-24-2013, 07:04 AM
If you are having shifting problems with your ABARTH you need to notify your Studio and get it noted to your VIN.

The problems will only get worse.

Abarth619
05-24-2013, 12:03 PM
Another suggestion for those who have wasted their time at the dealer multiple times is to write a stern letter to Fiat/Chrysler's customer service assistance dept. That's what I did with my Challenger when it was having a lot of the same issues you guys are having. Amazingly after that letter, the tech was able to finally replicate the problem. They replaced the 1st & 2nd gear syncros due to damage, pilot shaft bearing, throwout bearing, input shaft bearing and performed a couple of TSBs that were supposedly the root of the problem. Here is a copy of the letter for anyone who is sick of the dealer runaround BS and wants a little direction. I hope it helps, sorry its long.

Hello Dodge Customer Service,

I bought my 09 Challenger R/T in 02/10 and overall its been a fun car to drive. Last spring I brought my car to the dealer to have a whining noise in the engine fixed and a rim that was peeling replaced. The rims was replaced no problem, the noise was not however.

After bringing it to them multiple times, they replaced the belt tensioner. This didn't fix it. Next they said it was the throwout bearing and they would replace it, but it was possible it would cause more problems if doing so. Not knowing how they could claim to be service experts with Mopars and then say that was confusing, but anyways. I decided to go ahead with the repair and crossed my fingers. I dropped off my car the next week and after leaving multiple messages at the front desk to the service dept with no answer, I came the next day to inquire about my car in person.

They didn't replace the throwout bearing. They said after looking at it again that it was now a normal condition and nothing could be done. The exhaust ports on the Hemi make this noise. Funny thing is I have friends with Challenger R/Ts and none of them make this noise. Even the tech could not replicate the noise with the Challenger R/Ts on the lots. I was kind of upset at this point and felt the dealer was trying to get out of warranty work.

I spent a lot of my hard earned money on this car and this was a poor excuse. I could of easily bought many other cars for this price, but I bought a Dodge. I went outside to check my car before leaving the dealer and noticed they left my air intake only hand tight. I tightened it myself with the toolkit on keep in my trunk. Needless to say I left upset at the unprofessional job they did. I will never go to this dealership again for anything.

I excepted the noise until now, its getting noticeably louder. I've also recently been experiencing that the shifter is getting stuck in gear, shifting is knotchy, and it won't let me put it into gear. Some days it shifts great and others the car is almost undriveable. I've also noticed a high pitched howl coming from the rear end at cruising speeds of 70 to 80mph. This has been noticeable due to my windows being up with the cold weather here. Also my drivers door trim was tearing. I decided to give another dealer a chance in hopes my experience would be better than my last one.

They repaired the trim no problem. As for the tranny issues and howl noise, they said they couldn't replicate either problem. I took more time off work and scheduled another apt and I went for a short ride with the shop foreman. Naturally it shifted ok for the most part but it still give my a hard time shifting a couple times for the short ride. The shop foreman suggested I have my manual transmission fluid changed and have rear axle fluid checked.

They charged me $120.00 for the job and I still have the same problems. Should I have even been charged considering I had to go there 3 times and they still didn't fix it? As for the whine noise in the engine he said it would be like exploratory surgery to fix it and it could probably cause more problems. How do Dodge techs repair engines if the engines never work the same way again after they've been apart? Needless to say I have no faith in dealerships fixing any engine related problems. Do the techs at dealerships have any training on how to repair Challengers?

I'm very frustrated at this point which is why I'm writing. Its not like this car was cheap and ownership has been a very stressful experience recently. I taken lots of time off work and multiple trips to multiple dealers with no results. If I was this bad at diagnosing and repairing in my profession, I would be out of a career.

I really want these issues fixed. I really don't want to make a formal compliant with the BBB or make a lemon law claim on the car. I apologize if my letter sounds rude at all, its just my frustration level is at a boiling point. Please contact me so this issue can be resolved as soon as possible, thank you for your time.

CarlosOne
06-23-2013, 11:20 PM
Exactly where my level of frustrations were. You have every right to feel this way. Trust me, get rid of it before the warranty is up. Passion and heritage are poor substitutes for common sense.

Jps
12-20-2013, 07:13 AM
THe good news is I found this thread! Same issues here, constantly getting worse getting into 1st. The rest of the gears are ok, reverse I understand.
Already been to one dealer, JMK Fiat in Springfield; couldn't replicate and they have no loner cars.....

Frankly I'm concerned about going to Fiat of Manhattan (closest to work). Im in NJ anyone have positive experiences with Fullerton Fiat or Bergan County?

Really hate having issues with a new car, not enjoying this part of ownership.

BigDaddySRT
12-20-2013, 09:17 AM
THe good news is I found this thread! Same issues here, constantly getting worse getting into 1st. The rest of the gears are ok, reverse I understand.
Already been to one dealer, JMK Fiat in Springfield; couldn't replicate and they have no loner cars.....

Frankly I'm concerned about going to Fiat of Manhattan (closest to work). Im in NJ anyone have positive experiences with Fullerton Fiat or Bergan County?

Really hate having issues with a new car, not enjoying this part of ownership.

Never put the car into First Gear unless the vehicle is Dead Stopped.
Plain and simple.

Never put the car into Reverse Gear unless the vehicle is Dead Stopped.
Plan and simple.

With these colder temperatures across the Northern Parts of the USA... you guys need to allow the engines to warm up to operating temperatures prior to driving.
Just because the engine temperature is up to operating temperature doesn't mean the gear box is up to operating temperature.

Jps
12-20-2013, 09:34 AM
Agreed
Problem is this issue continues after a 45minute commute

The issue started after the temps here went below 45, however even on a 65+ day
Well after temps are normal I have the same result.

shagghie
12-20-2013, 01:09 PM
Agreed
Problem is this issue continues after a 45minute commute

The issue started after the temps here went below 45, however even on a 65+ day
Well after temps are normal I have the same result.

Hate to say it, but I'm having the same thing starting to happen lately. To overcome it, I have to pop it in 2nd at the stop, and sometimes double clutch it to get a firm engagement into 1st. It's only 1st gear, the rest are fine. I've been starting in 2nd on my commute just to not have to deal with it. Here in So Cal it has been chillier, but even on days in the 60's it is still not going into first. It is worse at start-up indeed, but like you, even after my commute of 25 freeway miles, it still doesn't like first gear now at stop-lights, etc. Car has 12k on it...how about yours?

Jps
12-20-2013, 01:13 PM
6500miles
Just made an appointment for the 28th
After explaining to the service manager the issue
And sending her a copy of this thread.
Simply put I told her not to waster time or theirs

We agreed they would keep the car for at least a 48 period of time

shagghie
12-20-2013, 01:22 PM
6500miles
Just made an appointment for the 28th
After explaining to the service manager the issue
And sending her a copy of this thread.
Simply put I told her not to waster time or theirs

We agreed they would keep the car for at least a 48 period of time

well done. I'll probably do this over the holidays too. The thing is, I don't drive her hard in first gear and I rarely ever ever try to even go fast off the line, so I wonder why 1st gear (out of all the gears) is the one that comes up so often on our cars? Is it a syncro-design issue maybe?

Jps
12-20-2013, 01:41 PM
Not sure
My issue is strictly from a standstill
It's not the end of the world it's just that its
A new car and it shouldn't be that way.
I've had plenty of old cars so expectations are different
Of course.

Reminds me of the 915 gear box I had in a 72 911

shagghie
12-20-2013, 01:46 PM
Same here, only at a full stop, from Neutral into 1st. I was just under the car a few weeks ago, and no leaks, so can't be that either.

Not sure
My issue is strictly from a standstill
It's not the end of the world it's just that its
A new car and it shouldn't be that way.
I've had plenty of old cars so expectations are different
Of course.

Reminds me of the 915 gear box I had in a 72 911

jguerdat
12-20-2013, 02:34 PM
Never put the car into First Gear unless the vehicle is Dead Stopped.
Plain and simple.

I've gone into 1st innumerable times over the years while moving with no detrimental issues at all. That said, I don't do it at prolly much over 10 MPH at any point but a synchronized 1st gear is safe to go into while still moving.

Reverse is a whole 'nuther issue.

lillo24
12-20-2013, 04:28 PM
how many miles? Usually after 8000km the gearbox really loosens and thus smoother. Obvious question do you always push the clutch pedal all the way down? Same thing with motorcycles. Let my friend try my Duc and he was use to not fully engaging the clutch on his R6; well with my bike doing it his way... he was not able to put in first. Also check your transmission fluid. I sometimes have trouble in reverse but not so much now with more miles. I thing also the gear box is a little defective. if I remember well in Europe the abarth comes with 6 gears thus the reverse with be in a different position (near first gear).

Jps
01-02-2014, 09:25 PM
Update
Car was dropped off this past Saturday. Credit to the dealer and service rep , Regina, for actually taking the time to listen to my concerns. I also printed this thread out and brought it with me for them to read. Assuming this would help validate this as a potential common issue prompting a thorough investigation. That said they let car cool sufficiently and the next business day the tech experienced the issue engaging 1st. I'm told that the tech is investigating the shifter assembly and linkage at the the top of the trans. I've lost a few days with the holiday but hopefully have a conclusion soon.

Not too happy that my 1k of winter wheels and tires will not go to good use the next few days. My loner, a 2012 sport is equipt with all seasons but they are clearly not blizzaks based on tonight's commute home.

BecauseRacecar
01-10-2014, 12:54 AM
[Also posted this on a certain red forum, but then found this thread and decided it belonged here more]

I'll add my '13 Abarth to the list of first gear oddities... 1 month old, and ~2500 miles.

About a third of the time it goes right in, but feels lumpy.
A third of the time I have to push HARD (10-20 lbs of force) and then it thunks in.
And a third of the time (especially when cold, which is currently around -5*C/mid 20s*F) it won't go in at all, and I have to select second gear then go into first (works okay then, but still have to push hard half the time).

This is with the clutch bottomed out for several seconds, or only a half-second. Same either way.
I did the clutch play check (hold clutch down, level pavement, select first, brakes release, rev motor a bit and see if it moves) with no car movement & no odor.

When moving slowly, such as rolling a stop sign, going into first is much easier. MUCH.

I visited my local dealer, and the tech was able to replicate the problem. (Yay! That's half the challenge it seems)
They don't want to work on it though until they hear back from Chrysler.
He said they submitted a trouble ticket/question that he called a "Star Request" (maybe some techs here recognize that term) and that they have to wait until they hear back.
But at least it's documented.

Also: when cold, shifting into 2 (from 1) and into 3 (from 2) during low revs has minor grinding - no noise, but I can feel the gears vibrating (through the shift knob) as they go through into gear.
But maybe that's normal, and I'm feeling the synchros when cold. My last 500 Sport did this bit too when cold.

I understand there are three possible fixes for all the above: transmission fluid change (sometimes bad/low?), cable adjustment, and a whole new C510 tranny.

Not sure if it matters, but sometimes reverse requires a couple tries. I figure that's just the lack of a synchro though. Yes, I do wait a few seconds for spin-down.

The good news is that the tech said the C510 can be dropped without removing the engine, front bumper, etc. Apparently since it's designed for competitive stuff, Fiat made sure the Abarth's transmission can be worked on relatively easy. That's his word, I haven't found it in writing yet.

Driving technique: No abuse, I rev-match & double-clutch nearly all downshifts, and upshift gently (most of the time) to let the syncros do their work.

Although when I (rarely) drive even mildly aggressively, the transmission absolutely sings! Go figure.

That's all the hearsay I have to contribute.

I will continue to update with my experiences as things progress... apologies for the disorganized and rambling post.
Just vomiting up thoughts as they enter.

BigDaddySRT
01-10-2014, 07:56 AM
The good news is that the tech said the C510 can be dropped without removing the engine, front bumper, etc. Apparently since it's designed for competitive stuff, Fiat made sure the Abarth's transmission can be worked on relatively easy. That's his word, I haven't found it in writing yet.

Driving technique: No abuse, I rev-match & double-clutch nearly all downshifts, and upshift gently (most of the time) to let the syncros do their work.

Although when I (rarely) drive even mildly aggressively, the transmission absolutely sings! Go figure.

That's all the hearsay I have to contribute.

I will continue to update with my experiences as things progress... apologies for the disorganized and rambling post.
Just vomiting up thoughts as they enter.

I stopped by to visit when Chrysler replaced my C510... they had the entire front end off the car in One Complete Piece. Core, Bumpers, Intercoolers... everything in one chunk. Pretty interesting.

The Tech working on my Car bragged... "You'll never be able to tell that we had this car apart, and it will drive better than new."

It does.... I only had 2,870 miles when the C510 Grenaded. Now I have almost 12,000 miles of pure smiles and joy.
My ABARTH was "brand new" with 53 miles on it when I signed the papers.

I think in that 53 miles, several test drives were made with the dealer and people didn't respect shifting into the reverse gear.

Tweak
01-10-2014, 11:40 AM
Welcome to this/the forum BcRacecar.

elenano73
01-10-2014, 01:22 PM
i have the same issue with my car it has about 2,500 miles and 1st gear is starting to give me minimal problems. ive been shifting it into 2nd then going into 1st and that seem to fix the problem some what. Since i only have 2,500 miles on it im gonna wait and see what transpires before i go forth with taking it to the dealer.

BecauseRacecar
01-10-2014, 06:25 PM
I stopped by to visit when Chrysler replaced my C510... they had the entire front end off the car in One Complete Piece. Core, Bumpers, Intercoolers... everything in one chunk.

[...]
Ah, that makes more sense. Thanks for the clarification on that.

As promised, I have an update on my 1st gear situation (a few posts above). Just got back from the dealer.

The Star request was answered, and Fiat/Chrysler tech reps instructed my transmission to be flushed / refilled with the fluid (Mopar, I believe 75 or 85 wt).

I figured they were just going through the motions, but I went back to watch/help out/be annoying (also, I'm lucky enough to have an acft mx background so the techs trust me to not get in the way too much :P ).
And because I was curious on how it's done.
Turns out, they have to disconnect the lower/aft engine mount, which leaves the whole assembly free to rotate on the same axis that the crankshaft spins. Then, they gently wedge something similar to a crowbar in there in order to rotate the whole kit just enough to access the drain plug. Pulled the plug, and I watched some of the fluid draining - cleanish, and no (obvious) shavings or debris.

After that, they re-connect the mount, and refill the transmission from a port higher-up on the front of the case (plug/bolt that's facing the radiator/bumper/etc). Turns out it's nearly impossible to overfill the transmission, as the extra drains from the fill port where the hose snakes in. Pretty neat design there.

After that the tech was nice enough to clean everything down below with degreaser/brake cleaner, before bolting on the lower cover again.

So, the result...?

It seems to have worked.

SO CONFUSED

First gear snicks in easily now 19/20 times.
That 1 out of 20 times that's left, it's still hard to go in, but if I blip the clutch or try 2 then 1, it goes in fine.
And the rest of the gears, which formerly required 5-10 pounds of force (I thought this was normal); I can now switch into them with my THUMB. It's that easy.

Reverse even seems more cooperative too.

I asked the tech if I had damaged the transmission by running it 2800 miles with bad/low fluid, and he said that as long as I haven't abused anything, heard grinding, or felt any shaking then it's likely just fine. Apparently these things are tough.
He also said that if there was damage, or the problem wasn't fixed, it would be very obvious very soon. I have 47,000 miles left on the warranty so that puts me somewhat at ease.

One of the techs also mentioned that since this is all on paper, I maaaaayyy be able to finagle coverage on the transmission if something obviously not related to abuse were to happen after the warranty.

I will post further in this thread if the problem comes back, of course! :)

If anyone needs a copy of my paperwork to show their dealer/service that the transmission flush helps, I'm more than willing to scan and email/PM it to you.
Also ask them to send a "Star Inquiry".

BecauseRacecar
01-16-2014, 05:32 PM
Well, as promised, an update... (and a double-post at that!)

It's been a week since I had the transmission oil changed.

First gear is hard to engage again. Nearly impossible when cold (4*C / 40*F). Once warm (driving for 30-ish minutes), it's quite a bit better.
And when moving slowly, such as a creeping stop through an intersection, it thunks in fine.

When cold and uncooperative, the 2-then-1 trick works pretty well.

The other gears act fine.

This is such a strange problem. Tested 2 other Abarths at the dealer. Both shift smooth when cold. Tried it 20+ times on each.

Still a great car to drive! It just sucks knowing that something is either calibrated weird, or seriously wrong/worn (?)
No idea what could cause this... or is this normal after the first few hundred/thousand miles?

EDIT: Shifting 1 to 2, while driving, at low (sane) revs also grinds occasionally. Not sure if related. I always bottom the clutch (giggity)

Considering ditching this thing and joining my VW freak friends... GTI + APR is pretty fun... :P
Back to the dealer it goes... this is visit number SEVEN, with ONE month of ownership... !!!!!! :ANGER:

NJ has a strong lemon law at least. They get two more chances.

BigDaddySRT
01-16-2014, 07:05 PM
Well, as promised, an update... (and a double-post at that!)

It's been a week since I had the transmission oil changed.

First gear is hard to engage again. Nearly impossible when cold (4*C / 40*F). Once warm (driving for 30-ish minutes), it's quite a bit better.
And when moving slowly, such as a creeping stop through an intersection, it thunks in fine.

When cold and uncooperative, the 2-then-1 trick works pretty well.

The other gears act fine.

This is such a strange problem. Tested 2 other Abarths at the dealer. Both shift smooth when cold. Tried it 20+ times on each.

Still a great car to drive! It just sucks knowing that something is either calibrated weird, or seriously wrong/worn (?)
No idea what could cause this... or is this normal after the first few hundred/thousand miles?

EDIT: Shifting 1 to 2, while driving, at low (sane) revs also grinds occasionally. Not sure if related. I always bottom the clutch (giggity)

Considering ditching this thing and joining my VW freak friends... GTI + APR is pretty fun... :P
Back to the dealer it goes... this is visit number SEVEN, with ONE month of ownership... !!!!!! :ANGER:

NJ has a strong lemon law at least. They get two more chances.

They have a "Procedure" to follow through with Chrysler before they'll just throw another C510 at you.

Fortunately when my C510 grenaded it gave me absolutely No Warning or Complications, and my Studio immediately contacted Chrysler for C510 Replacement.

BecauseRacecar
01-21-2014, 02:13 PM
Looks like they are following the procedure now... my Abarth is currently in the shop for a week or so.
They gave me a rental Challenger - what a terrible thing to drive! Impossible to see out the back. Takes maximum effort to park. Drives like a barge. Haha. Looks AWESOME though. Fun donuts in the snow.
EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I'm super thankful that I get a (mostly free) rental car.
Just never driven a car this big.

Anyways, back on topic... they are currently, as per Star, "inspecting my clutch splines and pressure plates, lubricating (something), and checking clutch throwout adjustment".

For those who haven't read my above posts, the C510's fluid has already been changed, and the shifter cables adjustment checked.

First gear works well when the car has been driven for a half hour or more, but won't shift into first when cold. Shifting into 2nd immediately beforehand sometimes helps.
Also grinds lightly, occasionally, from 1-->2 and 2-->3.

Supposed to take one full day, but there are manning shortages, and we are in the middle of a huge snowstorm, so they will be done with that in a few days by the weekend hopefully.

Both myself and them are convinced that it's not the Clutch, but Star will not authorize a new C510 until the clutch is checked just in case...

New C510 will take a month to arrive from Italy...

I miss my Abarth already!

BigDaddySRT
01-21-2014, 04:56 PM
Looks like they are following the procedure now... my Abarth is currently in the shop for a week or so.
They gave me a rental Challenger - what a terrible thing to drive! Impossible to see out the back. Takes maximum effort to park. Drives like a barge. Haha. Looks AWESOME though. Fun donuts in the snow.
EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I'm super thankful that I get a (mostly free) rental car.
Just never driven a car this big.

Anyways, back on topic... they are currently, as per Star, "inspecting my clutch splines and pressure plates, lubricating (something), and checking clutch throwout adjustment".

For those who haven't read my above posts, the C510's fluid has already been changed, and the shifter cables adjustment checked.

First gear works well when the car has been driven for a half hour or more, but won't shift into first when cold. Shifting into 2nd immediately beforehand sometimes helps.
Also grinds lightly, occasionally, from 1-->2 and 2-->3.

Supposed to take one full day, but there are manning shortages, and we are in the middle of a huge snowstorm, so they will be done with that in a few days by the weekend hopefully.

Both myself and them are convinced that it's not the Clutch, but Star will not authorize a new C510 until the clutch is checked just in case...

New C510 will take a month to arrive from Italy...

I miss my Abarth already!

What's your current Mileage?

The Stock Clutch is covered under the Manufacture Warranty: 12 months/ 12,000 Miles.
If you are under the mileage and time constraint, then you can get a New Clutch put in at no cost.

Doohickie
01-21-2014, 05:33 PM
"...and checking clutch throwout adjustment"

I'm thinking it's something to do with the clutch not totally disengaging. Just a gut feel.

BecauseRacecar
01-21-2014, 09:08 PM
What's your current Mileage?

The Stock Clutch is covered under the Manufacture Warranty: 12 months/ 12,000 Miles.
If you are under the mileage and time constraint, then you can get a New Clutch put in at no cost.

My mileage is ~3800. Had the Abarth one month. (Yes, I drive a lot).
Bought the car with 102 miles on it. Wondering if a test-driver was rough with the transmission.(?)

If they say that the adjustment was off, should I demand a new clutch?
A majority of my miles were in 5th...

I'm having trouble believing it's the clutch - when I shut off the car, and leave it in first, I can start it with the clutch depressed (obviously) and move it in and out of first easily. But as soon as I put it in neutral and let off the clutch (seatbelt, radio, brush off snow, etc), when I try to go back into first it is difficult until the car has been running for a half hour or so.

That, and if I have it in gear, with the clutch held down, revving the engine (moderately) produces no motion or smell.

I dunno - I suppose the folks at Star (apparently some sort of tech reps from Googling) are smarter than me about this.
My mechanical background is all in aircraft electrical and turbines. I only know the general theory and design behind manual transmissions, not all the fine details beyond how to properly double clutch a downshift...

I never noticed ANY of this of the test drive, because they had it fully warmed up for me before I got to drive the car(...?!!!!)

Live and learn. :D

I appreciate the support, Btw. Helps to know I'm not alone in this.

BigDaddySRT
01-23-2014, 08:51 AM
My mileage is ~3800. Had the Abarth one month. (Yes, I drive a lot).
Bought the car with 102 miles on it. Wondering if a test-driver was rough with the transmission.(?)

If they say that the adjustment was off, should I demand a new clutch?
A majority of my miles were in 5th...

I'm having trouble believing it's the clutch - when I shut off the car, and leave it in first, I can start it with the clutch depressed (obviously) and move it in and out of first easily. But as soon as I put it in neutral and let off the clutch (seatbelt, radio, brush off snow, etc), when I try to go back into first it is difficult until the car has been running for a half hour or so.

That, and if I have it in gear, with the clutch held down, revving the engine (moderately) produces no motion or smell.

You could certainly have a bad Clutch Master Cylinder, that isn't fully disengaging the clutch with the clutch pedal on the floor.

I would think they would start with the Clutch Master Cylinder, check it's properly adjusted and "bleed" the system.
If that doesn't fix the issue, then they start looking at the Clutch Assembly... which is warrantied from the manufacture for 12 months/ 12,000 Miles.
They repair those two issues, then they start looking into the Transmission.

Some Studios have all the equipment to "rebuild" the C510... some don't. The Equipment is expensive, and you have to know that your Tech knows what he's doing when he opens the C510. If something doesn't go back together properly, then the customer could return pretty quick with complaints and more warranty issues.

BecauseRacecar
01-24-2014, 08:16 PM
Well, I have my Abarth back now. They disassembled the transmission and "greased the shaft splines that were far too dry and causing the selector and pressure plate not to slide freely"

I do have to say, 1st gear is easier than ever to select. It feels like any other modern manual transmission I have driven now.

They said that Star said that a lot of Abarths were built like this, and work fine in the summer or when the transmission is warm, but terrible engagement and shifting characteristics when cold. Makes sense.
Here's hoping this fixes the issue.

Explains why I didn't notice on the test drive - it was a showroom car, and was warmed up all the way by the time they had everything shuffled around to let me test drive it.

Only drove it ~20 miles back to my place, so I'll keep y'ouse updated if things change.

And going back from the rental Challenger to the Abarth was quite a shock! Haha

redabarthmd
02-09-2014, 08:50 AM
Hey guys. Beside hard to shift in First gear. Do you also have a soft spongy feel to the clutch pedal? My Abarth is having hard time shifting in First only when it's sat overnight outside in the cold. FYI. I 'm located in Maryland, been pretty cold lately! Drive and shift normal after about 15mins of driving. In my case, i don't believe idling/warm up engine help,the vehicle must be driven. Looks like a trip back to dealership!

milanessa
02-10-2014, 06:09 PM
Hi there,
I am having the same problem, with the gearshift locked in Park and unable to move, until the engine warms up. I have now brought it to the dealership where I bought it 3 times, and have been told each time that "cars like to behave when they come into the dealership." I am not buying it...this happens for me every single morning or any time it starts cold. The only way I've been able to "trick" the car is if I put it into Reverse immediately after starting it, which I don't like to do, because then the transmission light comes on. I've e-mailed Fiat to report the issue; not sure what else to do.

E Rossi
02-10-2014, 06:26 PM
Leave it over night at the dealership and let them start it cold in the morning.

BecauseRacecar
03-02-2014, 09:24 AM
Hey y'all;

Just wanted to post an update for those following my 1st gear situation, or for those who found this thread via Google and are browsing as guests, etc...

The last dealer fix about a month and a half ago (adjust clutch throwout, clean and grease splined shaft[s?], check/adjust shifter cables, flush transmission fluid)
seems to be working fine as of now. First gear is still nice and easy. [KNOCK ON WOOD!!]

Jps
03-02-2014, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the update. My 1st trip yielded no results
I plan to bring along a copy of this thread again
It's so frustrating, I'm almost considering a trade in....

spdandpwr
03-12-2014, 11:52 PM
Speaking of cold starts and the transmission. What's the proper way to park this car. I read on another tech oriented abarth forum that you should leave it in reverse when you park.

Tweak
03-12-2014, 11:56 PM
Speaking of cold starts and the transmission. What's the proper way to park this car. I read on another tech oriented abarth forum that you should leave it in reverse when you park.

Reverse is the best option as it will hold the car best.

spdandpwr
03-13-2014, 01:15 AM
thanks! p.s. i never got my welcome on the board from you :(

jguerdat
03-13-2014, 07:49 AM
I never leave the car in gear - only parking brake. Personal choice, I know, but if the car is bumped, I prefer not to have the engine potentially rotated in the wrong direction. The difference between 1st and reverse gears is usually small so I'd use either one, depending on which way the car is tilted (I do use a gear when on a severe slope as added insurance).

One reason I use only the parking brake is to ensure that it works over time. There are plenty of cars that have a (nearly) useless parking brake because it's never used.

BecauseRacecar
03-13-2014, 05:59 PM
Looks like we all have different preferences/education.

I was taught to use the hand brake on inclines only (and in gear, and wheel turned), and when on flat ground to just leave it in gear.
Oh, and when slowing down with a cop approaching from behind you. :p
I supposed if I lived somewhere quite flat, my technique would change to prevent seizing up of the handbrake (as you stated)

In the city, I leave it in gear only. That way, parallel parking love taps from others have lots of forgiveness, as the car can roll a bit (inch or two) each way which turns a potential bumper dent into just a small ding or scratch..
When stationed in Europe, the popular technique was to leave the car in HIGH gear (5/6) only, which would allow it to be pushed relatively easily. Over there people are willing to nudge (first by hand, then by bumper) cars a bit to squeeze into a spot.
As a courtesy, leaving it in high gear (as long as the spot is level) will allow them to move the car easily a foot or so, reducing chances of damage.

Regarding your comment about the engine turning.... For the motor to actually crank over, in 1st or R, ( as opposed to just rocking on the motor mounts which is fine), the car would have to be hit HARD and it would be the least of your worries.

Tweak
03-14-2014, 12:37 AM
thanks! p.s. i never got my welcome on the board from you :(

You're welcome.

Maybe it happened in one of your other posts and you just missed it? If not, consider yourself welcomed. :D

500cSquirrel
04-20-2014, 12:29 PM
It's been awhile since I checked the threads but now have been experiencing similar issues. I too have trouble getting the car into first gear at stops. Further, when shifting into second or third intermittently the gearshift feels like it goes into gear but the transmission grinds when I let out the clutch (as thought the gears are partially engaged). I took it to the closest dealer who drove it two miles and said it was fine.

It continues grinding so I drove the 90 minute to the dealer I bought it from who kept it for a week. The tech finally came to the conclusion the gearshift assembly was dry and devoid of lube. They are replacing the shifter assembly. The service manager then advised that in similar cases they have replaced the entire transmission to solve the problem. They are working on getting a transmission now. So it's at least two weeks without my commuter car :(. We will see.

BigDaddySRT
04-21-2014, 07:02 AM
It's been awhile since I checked the threads but now have been experiencing similar issues. I too have trouble getting the car into first gear at stops. Further, when shifting into second or third intermittently the gearshift feels like it goes into gear but the transmission grinds when I let out the clutch (as thought the gears are partially engaged). I took it to the closest dealer who drove it two miles and said it was fine.

It continues grinding so I drove the 90 minute to the dealer I bought it from who kept it for a week. The tech finally came to the conclusion the gearshift assembly was dry and devoid of lube. They are replacing the shifter assembly. The service manager then advised that in similar cases they have replaced the entire transmission to solve the problem. They are working on getting a transmission now. So it's at least two weeks without my commuter car :(. We will see.

LOL... the Studio starts at the top of the List and goes down. The simplest "repairs" always get done first.

How many miles do you have on your ABARTH? How long have you owned the ABARTH?

500cSquirrel
04-21-2014, 10:04 AM
SRT I have the 500c Pop and it's got 14k miles. I've owned it about 11 months And it's mostly light freeway driving. No racer here!

Most of these issues I've seen have been on the pop not be Abarth. Any Abarth grinding issues? I hope not bc I mY be upgrading to that model to avoid this transmission problem. I need a heavy-duty transmission apparently to drive freeways to work!

BigDaddySRT
04-21-2014, 11:42 AM
SRT I have the 500c Pop and it's got 14k miles. I've owned it about 11 months And it's mostly light freeway driving. No racer here!

Most of these issues I've seen have been on the pop not be Abarth. Any Abarth grinding issues? I hope not bc I mY be upgrading to that model to avoid this transmission problem. I need a heavy-duty transmission apparently to drive freeways to work!

Different Transmission in your Pop... but the same rules apply.

If you are encountering grinding between gears, the Studio looks at the Shifter Assembly... then the Clutch Pedal/ Clutch Master... then the Clutch Assembly... then the Transmission.

If you are under 1 Year/ 12K Miles you can probably get the Studio to put a new Clutch in without too much paperwork. If you have surpassed that Time/ Mileage, then you are going to have to address the issues with the Clutch yourself.

J.M.
04-23-2014, 05:16 PM
I had the same thing with the civic manual. It did not go to 1st gear and while later it hardly did. after running for 40 mins, it went in without any problem. But happened again. I took it to local mechanic and he fixed it for $100. I thought I had to change the clutch but didn't.

oddjob
05-06-2014, 11:08 PM
ok... so here I am. 8000k on the abarth and it has a hard time going into 1st 1 in 5 times (sometimes not at all) ...So, I'm not crazy? thank god. I mean, this is ridiculous in my mind. you buy a car that is supposed to be a fun "hot hatch"... and it SOOOO IS! I love this car more than any other car I have ever had, but C'mon. downshifting to 1st at a stop light... or slow roll, should NOT be a problem. I've had manual transmissions for the past 21 years... this is not my first rodeo. so what do I demand from my dealer? I do not want this to be an issue. I love this little Italian beauty and I want this love affair to continue.

P.S. do the short shifters make any difference in anyones mind? and if so... suggestions.

Dfly1972
05-07-2014, 12:25 AM
P.S. do the short shifters make any difference in anyones mind? and if so... suggestions.

I've only had my Abarth for a week. I didn't like the sponginess/mushiness of the shifter, so I got a short shift adapter from 500 madness. It make a world of difference as far as feeling more precise. Took less than an hour to install. I don't know if it will help with getting into gear tho.

500cSquirrel
05-07-2014, 01:02 AM
Oddjob,
I wish I had the answer for you but after 19 days in the local studio they replaced the shifter due to a 'dry' condition. They then replaced the entire transmission. The studio advised outfoxed the problem but the next day it ground harshly into reverse. A few days later it popped out of third gear while driving. Back to the studio.....