PDA

View Full Version : Transmission oil change and clutch adjustment

italophile
09-28-2012, 03:40 PM
I want to change the oil in my transmission, and I'd like to know what quantity and weight of oil to use, and also if there is anything special to know about doing the job.

The engagement point of the clutch is also really high, near the top of the pedal travel, and I'd like to adjust it to get more free play. A lot of hydraulic systems aren't adjustable, or if they are they have to be adjusted at the pedal or something. Is there a free play adjustment on the 500, and if so how is it done?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

NGEN
10-03-2012, 10:39 PM
How many miles do you have?

Robert Nixon
10-04-2012, 06:59 AM
At least for the Abarth the Owners Manual says for the Transmission is: MOPARŪ C635 DDCT/MTX
Transmission Fluid, but it doesn't list the capacity.

italophile
10-04-2012, 12:44 PM
I only have about 11,000 miles, but I've had issues with hard shifting from day one. I've already brought it up with the dealer twice. They say it's normal and they've shown no interest in doing anything about it, so I'm taking matters into my own hands.

Robert, I don't know why, but it never even occurred to me to look in the owner's manual. Anyway, the regular 500 specifies the same fluid. I don't need to know the exact capacity as it's usually just a matter of adding oil until it comes out the filler hole, but it'd be nice to know how much I need to buy.

smccormick
01-26-2016, 03:53 PM
If I may, is there any concern with using gear oil as opposed to ATF in the manual gear box? I was thinking of changing my gear box oil as well, I've hit 160,000 kms. Also, is the gear box oil shared with the differential in a manual transmission car?

Klasse Act
01-26-2016, 07:09 PM
I'm nearing 30k and I'm having the dealership in Kenosha WI change it out for me, its about $120. I don't have any issues but its cheap insurance IMO.

BigDaddySRT
01-26-2016, 08:11 PM
Why are you guys insisting upon wasting money?

MJAB
01-26-2016, 08:33 PM
The oil in the transaxle (gearbox/differential) is shared and for the 6 speed manual transmission (C514) are needed 1.65 liters of oil, the quantities can be found in european Fiat 500 manuals (that gearbox is also used in other models.

Recommended gearbox/differential oil changed over the years, for example

in european 2013 models was
Tutela Transmission Technyx Contractual Technical Reference No. F010.B05. This is a SAE 75W-85 grade synthetic-base lubricant FIAT Classification 9.55550-MX3.

Now is Tutela Transmission Gearforce Contractual Technical Reference No. F002.F10. This is a SAE 75W API GL4 grade synthetic lubricant Specification 9.55550-MZ6 or MS. 90030-M1. This one is also used for C635 DCT.
Product data http://www.pli-petronas.com/uk/products/automotive-functional-fluids/petronas-tutela/tutela-gearforce (https://www.pli-petronas.com/uk/products/automotive-functional-fluids/petronas-tutela/tutela-gearforce)

Tutela is a brand of Petronas.

The Fiat european manuals can be found here http://aftersales.fiat.com/ELUM/Model.aspx?brand_code=00&id_language=1&id_model=c12ba371-9abf-4131-bc21-2297cf8bed39&market_code=IT&cat=lib&part_number=#1

The gearbox/differential oil is "for life" and in the scheduled maintenance for it (every 80k - 90k km) is only to check level and, if necessary, to refill.

Fiat500USA
01-27-2016, 12:47 AM
Why are you guys insisting upon wasting money?

Care to share your reasoning? It doesn't seem unreasonable to want to change the oil when you have 30,000+ miles. Especially if you drive hard or maybe ground a gear or two, like reverse.

Fiat500USA
01-27-2016, 01:02 AM
Here are some specs for the 2013 C510:

Mopar C635 DDCT/MTX Transmission Fluid = 1 Quart - 68092630AA.

C510/C514 Capacity: 1.8 Quarts

Here is another thread where someone put Motul oil in and didn't care for it: http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?5868-Gear-oil-spec-and-capacity-for-Abarth-transmission

Also, I don't see any reference to a free-play adjustment.

Fabio13
01-27-2016, 02:25 AM
Care to share your reasoning? It doesn't seem unreasonable to want to change the oil then you have 30,000+ miles. Especially if you drive hard or maybe ground a gear or two, like reverse.

You're referring to a transmission oil change which isn't required nearly as often as an oil change where combustion contamination takes place. Transmissions can go considerably longer.

BigDaddySRT
01-27-2016, 09:55 AM
Care to share your reasoning? It doesn't seem unreasonable to want to change the oil when you have 30,000+ miles. Especially if you drive hard or maybe ground a gear or two, like reverse.

The Transmission Aisin and FPT C510 aren't part of any service interval.

If you grenade a transmission it's under your powertrain warranty... If you grenade a transmission with improper fluid then that's not covered under the powertrain warranty. Catch my drift?

I don't know how to take your "ground a gear or two, like reverse".
My C510 was replaced at 3,000 miles. At that point I had never raced my ABARTH, and never had a single ground gear or problem. It was replaced under powertrain warranty.

With my replacement C510 I have over 38k miles of pure bliss and joy... And I enjoy my ABARTH like it's supposed to be.

smccormick
01-27-2016, 10:49 AM
MJAB, Thanks for the information. It's great stuff. I believe that all lubricants even synthetics deteriorate over time. Synthetic base oils to a much lesser degree, however, the additive package used to blend lubricants has a life span, anti-oxidation agents become fully occupied, shear modifiers break down, and detergents become fully occupied.
The heavy equipment manufactures do provide factor filled lubricants with a design life equal to the part, however, analysis is both recomended and required to meet the manufacturer warranty. Usually filtering is required and the addition of a new additive package is required. The base oil lubricant is fine.
As I can't filter beyond the installed oil filter on the engine and I can not easily purchase the appropriate additive package, I prefer to change the lubricant in a regular interval.

Just my thoughts.

Fiat500USA
01-28-2016, 02:48 AM
You're referring to a transmission oil change which isn't required nearly as often as an oil change where combustion contamination takes place. Transmissions can go considerably longer.

Sure, that's why I said 30,000 + miles. As car enthusiasts we are always looking to tweak our cars and want them to perform the best. So with that in mind, it makes sense to want to change out gear oil that has seen use and maybe even harder use than the average driver.

The Transmission Aisin and FPT C510 aren't part of any service interval.

If you grenade a transmission it's under your powertrain warranty... If you grenade a transmission with improper fluid then that's not covered under the powertrain warranty. Catch my drift?

I don't know how to take your "ground a gear or two, like reverse".
My C510 was replaced at 3,000 miles. At that point I had never raced my ABARTH, and never had a single ground gear or problem. It was replaced under powertrain warranty.

With my replacement C510 I have over 38k miles of pure bliss and joy... And I enjoy my ABARTH like it's supposed to be.

True and a good point. There is no service interval and probably under normal conditions most shouldn't worry about it, especially if they plan on selling the car and not keeping it.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if the no service required also has at least a little something to do with the company being concerned the wrong fluid might be used and the possibility debris would be introduced when changing the oil. Low service costs may also be a factor, too.

For those keeping the car, in my opinion changing the trans oil at some point wouldn't be a bad idea for those who use the car hard or race - providing the proper oil and care is used. Especially seeing the C510 as used in the NAFTA Abarth is near the upper end of its torque capacity. Remember, these transmissions were introduced in the late 1980s on cars with little over 100 lbs ft of torque and even those had oil change intervals somewhere between 37 - 75,000 miles depending on sources.

Sure there have been changes and updates over the past 20+ years which contribute to the elimination of oil changes, but it is easy to assume that this is based on normal driving and not hard driving. For enthusiasts that drive like that, why suffer with less than the best oil protection?

As for the grinding reverse, that was just a general statement and not directed towards you or anyone in particular. The point I was trying to touch on is that even for the most careful driver, it's easy to grind reverse, and having gear fillings floating around in the oil is another reason to eventually want to change it out.

I think a reasonable rule of thumb is the harder the car is driven the sooner the oil should be changed out. Drive easy and maybe don't bother unless you want to.